Windows 10

 
1 ... 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 ... 20 26
<<Page 10>>

Windows Automatic UpdateA

Windows Automatic Update
A restart has been scheduled
We'll schedule a restart during a time you usually don't use your device (right now 3:45 pm today looks good).

That's what my laptop shows. It is almost 3:30 pm right now and I'm using my laptop to browse. There's 1 update waiting to install. It's a cumulative update for Windows 10 for x64-based system (KB3081424).

Let's see what happens at 3:45 pm. I'd be really pissed off if Windows restarts automatically at 3:45 pm.

I

charlesd45 wrote:

Has anyone noticed the offline maps under the settings and tried it out? Notifications panel,system,offline maps,download maps and then select what you want for download.

I installed some of these maps the first day I had Windows 10. If I recall they are HERE maps and the Maps app in Windows 10 looks very much like the HERE app on may android phone.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Thanks

t923347 wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

Has anyone noticed the offline maps under the settings and tried it out? Notifications panel,system,offline maps,download maps and then select what you want for download.

I installed some of these maps the first day I had Windows 10. If I recall they are HERE maps and the Maps app in Windows 10 looks very much like the HERE app on may android phone.

Thanks for the feedback.Looked it up on the store app and like you said it is Here Maps.Google maps is going to have some competition for the windows system.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Windows 10

Okay, I will admit that I haven't read all 400 plus posts on this. Anyway, for someone like me that has Windows 7 on two desktops and is satisfied with it, what is the biggest motivation to upgrade?

Reasons to upgrade or stay

See http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows...

To me the main reason is that Windows 7 and 8.1 will get the plugged pulled sometimes in the future. Windows 10 according to what you read will be the last Windows release and will continue to receive updates like Apple does. Things do change though so who knows. After the one year period ends you will have to purchase it. Free sounds pretty good for now for Windows 10. Based on the short time using it I am pretty happy with it. Learning curve nothing compared to Window 8. The Edge browser needs some work but sure that will improve in time.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

And

And the nice thing about Edge is if you don't like it or it doesn't yet do what you need from a browser, you can always use Internet Explorer 11 which is also installed with the Windows 10 update.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

yes, but

charlesd45 wrote:

See http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows...

To me the main reason is that Windows 7 and 8.1 will get the plugged pulled sometimes in the future.

But in that time I'll probably need a new computer and won't have the upgrade issues I'm having now. My laptop will not upgrade and at this point, I don't really want to try any more.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Upgrade

Each to his own preference.Windows 10 will be making changes as it grows. I prefer to be to on board with all the future change instead of having to start from scratch when outgrowing a old system. Somewhere along the line even with Windows 10 a time will come to have to buy a new computer but you will be well accustomed to all the new features and changes.

Hopefully the upgrading problems will get worked out soon.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Windows 10

charlesd45 wrote:

See http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows...

To me the main reason is that Windows 7 and 8.1 will get the plugged pulled sometimes in the future.....

As strange as it sounds, I might be inclined to intentionally wait until about a month before the free upgrade offer expires and upgrade then.

In the past, when I worked for a county government and now working for a quasi-federal agency, they both have been very slow to upgrade. That used to frustrate me, but as time goes on, it sort of makes sense. Now if I had a certain program that wouldn't work with Windows 7, that did work with Windows 10, then that would be a different matter.

My oldest son has Windows 8 on a laptop and he should upgrade. I have read few favorable reports on Windows 8. At work, I suspect like a lot of individuals and organizations, we will likely go directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but not for a while!

well then

thrak wrote:

I despise 8.1. WHY did they make idiotic changes such as the ESC key no longer backing out of apps? Yes, I know there is no ESC key on phones, etc. but they didn't need to remove that functionality that has been in place for eons.

I don't need a freaking touch interface on my computer. We have 2 desktops with Win 7 Pro, one laptop with Win 7 Pro, and one laptop with Win 8.1. Guess which one gets the least use...

If I want a mobile "experience" both of us have tablets and smart phones. I don't need "tiles" with constant updates for crap I don't use and don't care about at all.

I don't know how Windows 10 is going to be but I don't anticipate liking it.

Don't upgrade!
It really doesn't get any simpler than that. If you don't anticipate liking it, you probably won't.

I myself prefer to explore new technologies and work through whatever comes down the pike.

My laptop's don't have touch screens, no big deal.
My several tablets and phones do, so I adjust to the OS as needed, again no big deal.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

I updated a laptop.

I like it and will update a desktop that has 7, soon.

I'll wait until close to the end of the free offer.

I'll wait until close to the end of the free offer. My PC as originally a Vista PC so I'm concerned that hardware wise, W10 might over power my PC.

--
“It’s their world. We’re just living in it.”

Upgraded

I upgraded my notebook and the only issue was the fingerprint reader. It took me an hour or so playing with the driver and software but it is now working. I know it can be easily fooled so I don't use it for anything important but it is convenient for accounts that have no money involved.

--
d

two laptops no problem

I updated one laptop (Lenovo running 8.1) a week ago. It was relatively quick and other than getting used to the changes, I had no problem. Than Saturday I updated my other laptop (Dell, also running 8.1) and other than taking several hours (much more "loaded" than the first one, Microsoft servers busy?) I'm now all Windows 10 without regret.

One surprise: They both ended up with the same Windows 10 key but two different Product ID (according to two keyfinder apps).

Have now also updated my desktop to windows 10

Box Car wrote:

Last night I finally got my HP Envy laptop upgraded from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 10 64bit. Took 6 tries over the last week but finally opted in the what to keep part of the install to just keep the personal files but not to keep the apps or settings. That did it, installed quickly with no problems and I must admit there is a huge increase in speed doing pretty much everything and the learning curve is pretty fast and easy, I am glad I finally got it done and reinstalling my apps didn't take as long as I had thought, now my desktop would be a lot more work with all the software that is loaded on that computer.

On the second try after choosing my personal files only at the "what to keep" point the install went quick and finished with no real problems. Like my laptop I had to go into device manager and uninstall my network device and then clicked check for new devices and then found it and installed the driver and then was able to connect. It then quickly updated any additional drivers needed.

I must say I and very impressed with windows 10 and it is a worthwhile upgrade from windows 7 with a very quick learning curve once running it for a short while. It was worth the effort to reinstall some of my apps.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Here's why to upgrade

Jim1348 wrote:

...for someone like me that has Windows 7 on two desktops and is satisfied with it, what is the biggest motivation to upgrade?

I do not recommend upgrading yet in this situation, but to answer your question fairly, the best reasons for you might be:
1. Faster performance, particularly in boot-up time
2. Slightly improved security
3. Improved appearance
4. If you have a touchscreen device (unlikely, or you probably wouldn't have Win 7 or be asking this).

People with touchscreen Win 8 devices may want to upgrade sooner than people with Win 7 desktops or laptops who are not unhappy with the performance they're getting now.

Remember you have until July 2016 to upgrade for free. Let other people work out the inevitable bugs. Some people, depending on their hardware and software, have had significant trouble. Win 10 is likely to install easier and be significantly better late next spring than now.

If you do choose to upgrade soon, you should only do one desktop at a time. Upgrade first the one you are *least* dependent on, i.e., could do without for a time if needed. People with only one Windows 7 computer that they have to have working should still probably wait.

--
JMoo On

We know when they're pulling the plug

charlesd45 wrote:

...To me the main reason is that Windows 7 and 8.1 will get the plugged pulled sometimes in the future...

It's no secret when this will happen, and they're not going to pull the rug out from users and suddenly shut Windows 7 or 8 down.

The date is July 2020 for Windows 7 and January 2023 for Windows 8. That's the end of Microsoft Extended Support, when the security updates are scheduled to cease and the operating system would be considered obsolete, though it may of course still work. Some people are still happily running Windows XP, though I wouldn't on a bet on any machine hooked up to the Internet and needing to log in to say, a financial website, but your mileage may vary, XP fans.

Microsoft is not always consumer-friendly, but they announce these dates well in advance and generally don't pull the plug sooner than scheduled, so there's no rush.

The real deadline to be concerned with at this point is July 2016 to upgrade for *free* to Win 10 from Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 on supported devices; some older devices that barely made it to or barely run Win 7 may never be able to install or work with Win 10. If you haven't yet been invited by Microsoft to upgrade, it may be because your device will not support Win 10.

--
JMoo On

Windows 10

Upgraded my backup PC in the spare bedroom that kids use when they are in town. Quick learning curve and it appears to be noticeably faster. I think after a few more weeks of using it, I will update my other Windows PC's to windows 10.

--
Dudlee

Laptop Load

Upgraded laptop from Win 7 to Win 10.

I have run into issues which relate to the following:

Requirement to Register an account with Microsoft in order to gain access to the new features in Win 10. This was/is very confusing and took more time than it should have to fix. Now both my wife and I need to type in a password to log into the PC even when we are just waking it from Sleep Mode.

Also, I discovered that when the PC goes to sleep and is woken up it loses the connection to the Internet due to unsupported internal wireless network device. I was able to Google the problem after failed attempts to update the driver via MS, Dell, or Intel (who no longer supports the device). I was able to track down a procedure to Turn OFF Fast Start-up which I believe solved the problem.

Also, the new Browser has limitations which affect safety while browsing. Norton 360 recommended using Chrome in the meantime.

I also had to reconfigure MS Outlook and set up email accounts and passwords on my desktop, while at the same time it was functional (working) on my wife's Desktop.

At this stage I am NOT able to recommend upgrading to Windows 10, especially if you already have a good working PC.

Other than that I think users may have a better experience if they are buying a new PC with Windows 10 already installed. Also, if you have a newer PC running Window 8.1 you may have an easier time upgrading.

If you have limited PC skills and have no problems with your Windows 7 or 8.1 I would wait until more information from users experiences becomes known. Perhaps by then Microsoft will have released the bug fixes.

Good luck.

--
romanviking

My results

romanviking wrote:

Upgraded laptop from Win 7 to Win 10.

I have run into issues which relate to the following:

Requirement to Register an account with Microsoft in order to gain access to the new features in Win 10. This was/is very confusing and took more time than it should have to fix. Now both my wife and I need to type in a password to log into the PC even when we are just waking it from Sleep Mode.

Yes, it would have been a surprise to folks without a MS account, although it's not too different from needing a Google account to access many of the Google features including gmail. Since I had customized the msn.com website, I already had an account. I do think it's worth having an account now just for some of Cortana's cute thoughts.

Regarding password upon wakeup, you can change this by going to the Power Options: Start >Settings >System >Power&Sleep >AdditionalPowerSettings >RequireAPasswordOnWakeup. Note that you can also set your Win10 PCs to use a short PIN rather than your password.

I agree with the loss of features with Edge (which I hope can be fixed by MS or the software makers who offer add-ons or extensions) and like you, I generally use Chrome now. Down the road if Edge offers what we miss, I will try Edge as my default.

upgrade

dagarmin wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

...To me the main reason is that Windows 7 and 8.1 will get the plugged pulled sometimes in the future...

It's no secret when this will happen, and they're not going to pull the rug out from users and suddenly shut Windows 7 or 8 down.

The date is July 2020 for Windows 7 and January 2023 for Windows 8. That's the end of Microsoft Extended Support, when the security updates are scheduled to cease and the operating system would be considered obsolete, though it may of course still work. Some people are still happily running Windows XP, though I wouldn't on a bet on any machine hooked up to the Internet and needing to log in to say, a financial website, but your mileage may vary, XP fans.

Microsoft is not always consumer-friendly, but they announce these dates well in advance and generally don't pull the plug sooner than scheduled, so there's no rush.

The real deadline to be concerned with at this point is July 2016 to upgrade for *free* to Win 10 from Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 on supported devices; some older devices that barely made it to or barely run Win 7 may never be able to install or work with Win 10. If you haven't yet been invited by Microsoft to upgrade, it may be because your device will not support Win 10.

True it will be some time for Windows 7 and 8 as far as support getting the necessary security updates. My thoughts are that a lot of attention will now be on Windows 10 and hopefully we will get some new features along the way instead of just security updates. Like Apple does for the I Pad users. According to what you read Microsoft plans to take that same road for 10 .

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Still not sure about Windows 10

Still not sure about Windows 10. I guess I have another 9-10 months to figure out whether to bother with the free upgrade. Go forth de facto beta testers!

New features are expected

charlesd45 wrote:

True it will be some time for Windows 7 and 8 as far as support getting the necessary security updates. My thoughts are that a lot of attention will now be on Windows 10 and hopefully we will get some new features along the way instead of just security updates. Like Apple does for the I Pad users. According to what you read Microsoft plans to take that same road for 10 .

Yes, correct. Microsoft has said that "Windows as a service" means that new features will likely be rolled out with Windows 10 updates to existing users. These have not yet been specified, so some may be useful to you and others not. Also there is speculation that some new features may be Microsoft apps that are available only for an extra charge, taking Windows 10 to the "fremium" model as used by Apple for iOS, as you suggest.

--
JMoo On

My reservation hasn't come

My reservation hasn't come up yet. That's OK hopefully some of the bugs will be found and fixed.

.

I haven't commented on the WIndows 10 discussion because my old computers won't install WIndows 10, so I will have to wait until I buy a new computer to try it out. My desktop is 12 years old believe it or not and still works great with W7. I built it myself in 2003 with high-end parts from NewEgg, It has seen several hardware upgrades, had to be repaired twice with a new power supply, and was updated from XP MCE to W7 Pro. But it still works perfectly; as well as the day I built it.

My second machine is a 2009 Asus laptop, a high-end gaming machine with Vista (I know!) In spite of the terrible rep of Vista I have never had a nickle's worth of problems with OS failures or compatibility issues. My laptop is used 8-12 hours a day every day. It has needed a couple of hardware repairs (cooling fan and video board) but Vista has been flawless for me other than it no longer supports new versions of IE (I know I am in the minority with that experience).

I realize I am on the last leg with these old boxes but it is hard to justify a replacement when they still work well. Still, I look forward to the day I have new computers with W10. When that happens, you won't hear any complaints from me about Microsoft abandoning their customers like some folks have done about the XP EOL.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

M$ needs guinea pigs (beta testers)

jonny5 wrote:

Still not sure about Windows 10. I guess I have another 9-10 months to figure out whether to bother with the free upgrade. Go forth de facto beta testers!

Yep, M$ needs guinea pigs (beta testers) to help them find all the multitude of problems with the new Windows 10. That is why they are offering Windows 10 free for awhile. Why else would they do it?

If you like being a guinea pig - get Windows 10 now. However, if you prefer to get it after most of the problems are solved and fixed - wait to get it...

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

If you are running Win7 and

If you are running Win7 and really not interested in some of the new features, forget the upgrade, Microsoft will support Win 7 till 2020, if Win 8, then I would recommend the upgrade and after you upgrade your OS, go your to pc manufacture web site and download the updated drivers for Windows 10

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Well

koot wrote:

If you like being a guinea pig - get Windows 10 now. However, if you prefer to get it after most of the problems are solved and fixed - wait to get it...

Well I'll be a Microsoft beta tester any day if using the new OS is the price I have to pay.

I now have Win 10 installed on 4 laptops, 2 Toshiba's of which one was running Windows 7 Premium and one running Windows 8.1 64 bit, and 2 HP laptops, one which was running Windows 8.1 64 bit and the other was a new machine that converted from 8.1 to 10 when I first turned it on.

On all 4 machines I have run into ZERO compatibility issues and ZERO problems of any kind. I'm also getting a faster OS with a bunch of new features for my trouble. IMHO people can wait all they want to update but I really don't see any reason for it.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Haven't been able to ...

... keep up with all of the comments (10 pages and growing) but has anyone dug into the user agreement?

According to this article ....

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/windows-new-terms-of-u...

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications, or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.”

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Really?

soberbyker wrote:

... keep up with all of the comments (10 pages and growing) but has anyone dug into the user agreement?

According to this article ....

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/windows-new-terms-of-u...

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications, or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.”

I hope everyone reads the comments following the article. AND think about the comment that in part reads:

"REALLY …. your concerned NOW, seriously people, your’ve trusted Google and Facebook with your information, emails and contacts for years. And if you’ve signed up with Exchange Online and Office 365 they can already access your emails, calendar and contacts. My goodness, I can’t believe people are so naive to realize that the cloud is so dangerous."

Because this information gathering and giving "whoever" access to your personal data has been going on for years. Do you use a smartphone? Download apps? Consider the implications of the permissions?

And if you are that concerned, then ACTUALLY read the MS agreement, or any others you click "I Agree".

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

except this wasn't me

Box Car wrote:

Last night I finally got my HP Envy laptop upgraded from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 10 64bit.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Yes really ....

KenSny wrote:

I hope everyone reads the comments following the article. AND think about the comment that in part reads:

"REALLY …. your concerned NOW, seriously people, your’ve trusted Google and Facebook with your information, emails and contacts for years. And if you’ve signed up with Exchange Online and Office 365 they can already access your emails, calendar and contacts. My goodness, I can’t believe people are so naive to realize that the cloud is so dangerous."

Because this information gathering and giving "whoever" access to your personal data has been going on for years. Do you use a smartphone? Download apps? Consider the implications of the permissions?

And if you are that concerned, then ACTUALLY read the MS agreement, or any others you click "I Agree".

I offered an article I read, never thought about how deep the privacy stuff goes, the "comment" points out some good stuff. I don't use most of the services mentioned in the comment, however I am guilty of never actually reading a 45 page agreement before for those I do.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

The agreements are getting

The agreements are getting longer & longer with more legal speak that no one, not even most lawyers can probably understand. If you expect to use any software, or credit cards for that matter, be prepared to sign everything away.

And let's not forget that the "agreement" is not a contract. They can change the terms anytime they want, in any manner they want, and your continued use of their product implies your future agreement.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Win 10 & Acronis True Image Software

Although retired I depend on my computer for many things including, obviously supporting my GPS devices.

I have been using Acronis SW to back up my hard drives for several years with good success. This includes recovery of my C drive (programs and data) when previous versions of Windows crashed. Also, when upgrading to larger size drives or converting HDD to SSD, etc.

Acronis released their 2015 True Image version and offered a special price for upgrades just before Win 10 was released. They also indicated that Win 10 required the 2015 version, and that previous versions would NOT work. I upgraded my Win 7 PC that had Acronis 2013 to 2015 in preparation for a Win 10 upgrade and it crashed the computer. I had to go through a lengthy process to recover.

I found that the 2013 version in the recovered C drive was now corrupted with elements of the new 2015 version which I had uninstalled.

I uninstalled Acronis 2013 but then my PC would NOT allow me to back up my files or C drive using Windows 7 alone. I had to make complicated changes in the PC Registry to allow Windows 7 to recover the Backup and Restore function.

Acronis has since issued bug fixes to True Image 2015 but now they have changed (raised) their pricing substantially and instituted a one year subscription fee.

I have been in contact with their Tech Support and found them to be totally unhelpful and acting more as Sales rather than Tech Support.

It seems they may be taking advantage of the Windows 10 upgrade, requiring an upgrade to Acronis 2015 in order to score big on sales.

I have begun searching for Alternatives to Acronis.

Comments are welcome!

--
romanviking

When I bothered with drive

When I bothered with drive images, I used Paragon's offering. It did what I needed it to do, without fuss.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

@Roman Viking

I am on the fence to upgrade my Windows 7 Laptop to Windows 10. But reading your post regarding Acronis I've decided to wait.

I have been using Acronis for many years and it's my most treasured piece of software. I had intended to upgrade to V 2015 that is Wimdows 10 compatible, however, reading your experience scares me. Whenever I do a new OP install I do it in stages and make image backups along the way in case I screw up. If I can't do these incremental images I won't install the software.

I wonder if you had completely uninstalled your older versions before installing V 2015 you would have gotten better results.
Below is a link of an interesting post, read post # 2 for links to Acronis Cleanup Utility to remove older versions.
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/92196

I see there is an Acronis 2016 Beta available, but I'll just wait for it to become a final before I update to Win 10.
Sorry you experienced so much aggravation but this often occurs with new software releases.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

digital personal assistant

Some of the features that Cortana can do http://goo.gl/JpCnzQ

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Paragon Backup & Restore

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

When I bothered with drive images, I used Paragon's offering. It did what I needed it to do, without fuss.

Looking at their latest version (15) I don't see it being compatible with Windows 10. The most current OS is Windows 8.1.
It may work on Win 10 but I'd still wait for a newer version indicating Win 10 is supported.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/features.html

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

acronis

iv been using acronis 2014 and backed up my win 7 ult , and after installing win 10 pro 64 bit I backed up win 10 with it I have both backs ups on an external drive. installed win 10 then did a recovery to get a clean install as per MS directions before making a back up, I also used startisback for win 10 which has more of a windows 7 feel , another thig I did was remove the signing in every time you boot your puter so that it boots straight to the desk top, I also had to update my Kaspersky but my subscription is still good so the upgrade was free. all in all my win 10 is more of a win 7-win 10 best of both worlds combo it took a lot of head banging to get there but it was worth it. windows 10 is a fast sports car with a narrow road doing 100 miles an hour it will crash if your not carful lol

Win 10/Norton

Chewbacca wrote:

....
I use a very old Norton Ghost product (I can't remember the version) to clone SATA HDs. I can boot off floppy drive and clone (or create image files) successfully but that's pretty much it. The clone disk is not bootable, not usable.

You might be right. I didn't test all the way through to the boot disk and restore a failed drive function. It wouldn't have hurt to actually tell us that, though.

However, since a suitable Win10 compatible upgrade was not being offered, I chose to purchase a 3-seat of Acronis.

@geo334

geo334 wrote:

iv been using acronis 2014 and backed up my win 7 ult , and after installing win 10 pro 64 bit I backed up win 10 with it I have both backs ups on an external drive. installed win 10 then did a recovery to get a clean install as per MS directions before making a back up, I also used startisback for win 10 which has more of a windows 7 feel , another thig I did was remove the signing in every time you boot your puter so that it boots straight to the desk top, I also had to update my Kaspersky but my subscription is still good so the upgrade was free. all in all my win 10 is more of a win 7-win 10 best of both worlds combo it took a lot of head banging to get there but it was worth it. windows 10 is a fast sports car with a narrow road doing 100 miles an hour it will crash if your not carful lol

When you did the backup image of Win 10 installed with Acronis did you do this with the Acronis 2014 Recovery DVD or did you install Acronis 2015 to Win 10 and do the backup and restore of Win 10 right through the installed Acronis 15 program.

It appears perhaps a backup of Win 10 can be done with older Acronis versions but may have to be done with the Recovery DVD instead of installing the program on Win 10.
It may be a bit slower using the Recovery disk but good to know that it possibly may be accomplished with older versions.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Runtime Broker

I know there are some "teckies" around here. I just upgraded my Dell laptop from Windows 7 to windows 10. Everything went OK (I believe!!). However, there is a task called "Runtime Broker" that runs all the time and take an average of 25 % of CPU. In one post on the internet, it was suggested to turn off notifications about Windows tips which I did but it did nothing to the task. I tried to end the task (on Task Manager) but it starts again as soon as it is closed!!
Does any of you know what this does and how to stop it from using all this CPU?
Thanks in advance

How to turn off runtime broker

1.Search for “Check for updates” in the Start menu.
2.Under “Windows Update” choose “Advanced options.”
3.Under “Choose how updates are installed” click “Choose how updates are delivered.”
4.Disable the toggle under “Updated from more than one place.”

It's been sharing updates with the world, using a lot of resources.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

why?

rjrsw wrote:

It's been sharing updates with the world, using a lot of resources.

So MS is relieving traffic on their servers by making W10 users a server to pass along updates,

What else is being "passed along"?

It just keeps on getting better.... oh yeah. It's Free!

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Good call

rjrsw wrote:

1.Search for “Check for updates” in the Start menu.
2.Under “Windows Update” choose “Advanced options.”
3.Under “Choose how updates are installed” click “Choose how updates are delivered.”
4.Disable the toggle under “Updated from more than one place.”

It's been sharing updates with the world, using a lot of resources.

Nice catch on finding that rjrsw. Finding also other features that the option is there to turn on or off . Especially in the privacy area.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

File sharing sites have been doing this for years

KenSny wrote:
rjrsw wrote:

It's been sharing updates with the world, using a lot of resources.

So MS is relieving traffic on their servers by making W10 users a server to pass along updates,

What else is being "passed along"?

It just keeps on getting better.... oh yeah. It's Free!

File sharing sites have been doing this for years, when you download a large file you get it from a number of peers and you become one of them when you are doing the download. It allows for far quicker download of large files than if it just was being supplied by just one server.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

acronus 2014

its the acronis 2014 plus v17 5560 recovery disk it worked ok so I will stick with it for a while until they get a good 2015 I tried the 2015 version on win 10 and it went all huckley buck on me so befor I use the 2015 version I will wait until the bug fix it lol

You can believe it or not

But I'm very reluctant in upgrading anything especially when it works well.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and very happy with it but I'm also following this thread closely and enjoy learning about Windows 10 through all your personal experiences.

That being said, last night I dreamt I was upgrading to Windows 10 !
I think I may be in need of holidays very shortly mrgreen

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Somehow I knew this would

Somehow I knew this would happen someday. Well, it doesn't take long:

Windows 10 cumulative update causes 'reboot loop' havoc for some users

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-ca...

I'm waiting for an update that turns all Windows 10 to blue screen. I want to see if MS would back down and give us back the control like the former Windows update.

hmm, not ok with me.

rjrsw wrote:

File sharing sites have been doing this for years, when you download a large file you get it from a number of peers and you become one of them when you are doing the download. It allows for far quicker download of large files than if it just was being supplied by just one server.

Yes, multiple sites host downloads. Do you want your machine running at 35% cpu & acting as a file server? I ihink not. I wonder where that clause is in the MS agreement?

My point is, your personal firewall should have prevented that. Of course W10 has its own version of a firewall...right?

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.
1 ... 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 ... 20 26
<<Page 10>>