Windows 10

 
1 10 ... 16 17 18 19
21 22 23 24 ... 26
<<Page 20>>

WD Live

charlesd45 wrote:

I use to hook my computer to TV and play movies and etc. Got tired of reconnecting and moving Laptop closer to TV. Some time back purchased Chromcast for 30 dollars that connects to TV. Now do it all wireless. You do have to use the Chrome browser with it. There are other wireless alternative services that connect to the TV to send from computer to whatever you have on the screen.

The WD Live (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1270) I mentioned earlier in the thread does that. They make a totally wireless version. The one I have is hardwired to my TV via an HDMI cable and has a USB portable hard drive attached. I can send files to it via my in house wireless network from either my laptop or desktop PC, or I can just disconnect the hard drive from the WD Live, connect it to whichever computer has the file I want, and transfer it faster. But I don't have anything buried that makes doing that too much of a chore.

Either way it works great for any type of file I've thrown at it, including music and photo's. The WD box can also connect to many of the favorite services around, like youtube, spotify, AOL, facebook, etc etc etc.

I rarely burn a dvd anymore because the WD box makes watching movies easier and I don't need a pile of DVDs to store, but this conversation started with wanting to know how to burn a dvd that will work with Windows 10 so I was just offering my experience with a program as well as a hardware solution that I know work with Windows 10.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

My tv is wifi.

charlesd45 wrote:

I use to hook my computer to TV and play movies and etc. Got tired of reconnecting and moving Laptop closer to TV. Some time back purchased Chromcast for 30 dollars that connects to TV. Now do it all wireless. You do have to use the Chrome browser with it. There are other wireless alternative services that connect to the TV to send from computer to whatever you have on the screen.

We stream movies from router to Dish but sometimes internet is too slow for hd. We are trying to stay away from wireless for movies if we can.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Wireless

I know what you mean but a lot of sites are set up for good streaming. Here in FL I have dsl.Movies from Amazon,Hula and others stream pretty good for slow dsl.But like you say a straight line does better.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Movies

soberbyker wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

I use to hook my computer to TV and play movies and etc. Got tired of reconnecting and moving Laptop closer to TV. Some time back purchased Chromcast for 30 dollars that connects to TV. Now do it all wireless. You do have to use the Chrome browser with it. There are other wireless alternative services that connect to the TV to send from computer to whatever you have on the screen.

The WD Live (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1270) I mentioned earlier in the thread does that. They make a totally wireless version. The one I have is hardwired to my TV via an HDMI cable and has a USB portable hard drive attached. I can send files to it via my in house wireless network from either my laptop or desktop PC, or I can just disconnect the hard drive from the WD Live, connect it to whichever computer has the file I want, and transfer it faster. But I don't have anything buried that makes doing that too much of a chore.

Either way it works great for any type of file I've thrown at it, including music and photo's. The WD box can also connect to many of the favorite services around, like youtube, spotify, AOL, facebook, etc etc etc.

I rarely burn a dvd anymore because the WD box makes watching movies easier and I don't need a pile of DVDs to store, but this conversation started with wanting to know how to burn a dvd that will work with Windows 10 so I was just offering my experience with a program as well as a hardware solution that I know work with Windows 10.

Same here that I rarely make copies of DVD'S. You can sign up for a service or rent movies for a few dollars at places like Amazon. Even find older movies on Crackle or others for free.Have a Roku also connected to TV for even more selections but not the latest releases.

I have the Chromecast app on my two tablets also. Right from my easy chair I can cast whats on the screen to the TV.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

.

charlesd45 wrote:

Same here that I rarely make copies of DVD'S. You can sign up for a service or rent movies for a few dollars at places like Amazon. Even find older movies on Crackle or others for free.Have a Roku also connected to TV for even more selections but not the latest releases.

I'm a member of Amazon Prime so there's a few there that are free, well with the membership. I also neglected to mention the WD Live box is connected to the internet via a long ethernet cable. So for the services I'm wired, but it could be wireless if I wanted it to be. I do send stuff to it from my laptop though and that's via the wifi in the house.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Streaming

Just so much that you can now do that seem impossible a few years back. I am one of those guys who cut the cable cord. Outside antenna on the house that gets about 30 channels that include local stations.Internet for the rest. More then I could ever watch.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

not yet

charlesd45 wrote:

Just so much that you can now do that seem impossible a few years back. I am one of those guys who cut the cable cord. Outside antenna on the house that gets about 30 channels that include local stations.Internet for the rest. More then I could ever watch.

I still use a cable provider for one of my HD TV's and the internet as well as my VoIP phone service. I do have the other TV hooked up via an HD antenna.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

More to do

Thats my next move.Telephone over the internet for home phone. I do some of that now with google Hangout dialer just to test the quality.With Smartphone Google Hangout dialer works pretty good.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I can remember ...

charlesd45 wrote:

Just so much that you can now do that seem impossible a few years back.

~snip~

... my mothers first VCR, she was completely dumbfounded by the thing, "You mean these two wires will let me watch TV & movies?"

It had around 10 channels that you had to literally dial in with a small dial for each channel. Probably cost ten times as much as a DVD player that has a million more capabilities does today.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Finally getting to updating my new laptop with Garmin stuff

I am trying to put everything on my new laptop that I need to take care of my Nuvi 2450.
I have BaseCamp, POI Loader, WebUpdater, MapUpdater and EPE.
I think that is all I had on my old PC.

The question I have is now under Garmin programs in my Windows 10 app menu I have MapInstall. Isn't this the old way we used to update maps before MapUpdater and the new Garmin Express? It came on my Windows 10 when I installed one of the above mention apps, not sure which one.

Also, did I miss any app I might need?
Thanks, Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

MapInstall

mgarledge wrote:

The question I have is now under Garmin programs in my Windows 10 app menu I have MapInstall. Isn't this the old way we used to update maps before MapUpdater and the new Garmin Express?
Thanks, Mary

MapInstall was included with MapSource, now replaced by BaseCamp, which also includes MapInstall.

The "normal" map update procedure uses Garmin Express or GarminMapUpdater—and before GE, GMU was the only normal way to update maps that included Junction View and other features.

MapInstall can be used to install a map without features but required the map update to be loaded to the computer as a usable map, then MapInstall would be used to select regions (or the entire map) to be transferred to a Garmin device. If MapInstall was the primary method of updating maps on Garmin devices, it was before my time and was before features like Junction View were offered on Garmin devices; i.e., when the nuvi 7x0 and 3x0 were the only nuvis being offered.

Your new computer can pretty much do everything needed for your 2450 with the possible exception of installing new voices which is best done with Garmin Express which you haven't added to your new PC. You may still be able to add new voices with the myGarmin site but I can't confirm this since I've never done it.

Thanks CraigW

I tried to use Garmin Express when it 1st came out. Didn't work for me so I have not tried it again. May try again someday.
I only use Jill so more voices are not needed so I guess for now I am all ready for trip planning and map updating on my new laptop.
Thanks again.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

MapInstall

CraigW wrote:

~snip~

MapInstall can be used to install a map without features but required the map update to be loaded to the computer as a usable map, then MapInstall would be used to select regions (or the entire map) to be transferred to a Garmin device.

~snip~

I use MapInstall to download to a SD card inserted into my Zumo 550/450 a portion of North America since the Zumo itself doesn't have enough room for the entire file. When I update the Zumo's I choose to the device and computer to allow this.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Thanks

soberbyker wrote:
CraigW wrote:

~snip~

MapInstall can be used to install a map without features but required the map update to be loaded to the computer as a usable map, then MapInstall would be used to select regions (or the entire map) to be transferred to a Garmin device.

~snip~

I use MapInstall to download to a SD card inserted into my Zumo 550/450 a portion of North America since the Zumo itself doesn't have enough room for the entire file. When I update the Zumo's I choose to the device and computer to allow this.

I wasn't sure if it was outdated and not able to use it.
My 2450 has to have map on SD card too but so far I just use MapUpdater and it works on the SD card. Thanks for the information.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Great Place for Free Applications

mgarledge wrote:

I am trying to burn a movie to dvd but the only way to do this in Windows 10 is with File Explorer. I have not been able to burn one that can be played in my dvd player.
Windows 10 (installed on new devices) will not let me have Windows Media Center.
Any suggestions as to how to burn a dvd on Windows 10 without going through file explorer?
Thanks, Mary

A great site for all your needs to View, edit, convert, and anything else for your Videos, Music/Sounds/and photos.

www.dvdvideosoft.com

The software is free and not to hard to use. Check it out!

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

Read This

A window came up on my computer "not on a browser" and asked me how likely I would recommend Chrome. I gave Chrome a glorious recommendation. Then a window came up with "Thand you, We'll use your feedback to improve your experience. Manage feedback settings."
"Go to Feedback home"
This above button took me to "Settings, Feedback & diagnostics? on this page are two settings. I have looked at a lot of settings but never this one. They are for "Feedback Frequency" and "Diagnostics and usage data"

The below quotes are for the Diagnostic and usage data. They are set to "Automatically (Recommended)" "Full (Recommended).
Look what each setting is for, and I can't find a way to say none....

Also, click on the privacy Statement...... I know... The price we pay to use Windows 10 .........

And, Google Chrome is not even a Windows product.
________________________________________________
"What do the different Diagnostic and usage data options mean?
As you use Windows, we collect performance and usage information that helps us identify and troubleshoot problems as well as improve our products and services. We recommend that you select Full for this setting.

Basic information is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also turns on basic error reporting back to Microsoft. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide updates to Windows (through Windows Update, including malicious software protection by the Malicious Software Removal Tool).

Enhanced data includes all Basic data plus data about how you use Windows, such as how frequently or how long you use certain features or apps and which apps you use most often. This option also lets us collect enhanced diagnostic information, such as the memory state of your device when a system or app crash occurs, which may unintentionally include parts of a document you were working on when a problem occurred. We also use this information to measure reliability of devices, the operating system, and apps. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide you with an enhanced and personalized Windows experience.

Full data includes all Basic and Enhanced data, and also turns on advanced diagnostic features that collect additional data from your device, which helps us further troubleshoot and fix problems. When devices experience problems that are difficult to diagnose or replicate with Microsoft’s internal testing, Microsoft will randomly select a small number of devices, from those opted into this level and exhibiting the problem, from which to gather all of the data needed to diagnose and fix the problem (including user content that may have triggered the issue). If an error report contains personal data, we won’t use that information to identify, contact, or target advertising to you. This is the recommended option for the best Windows experience and the most effective troubleshooting.

Who sees the diagnostic and usage information that’s collected through feedback and diagnostics?
As we describe in the Microsoft Privacy Statement, we share personal data, among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries. We limit internally the number and role of employees who may access this data and regularly review employee permissions to access such data. We also share this data with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose. We also provide limited portions of error report information to partners (such as OEMs) to help them troubleshoot products and services which work with Windows and other Microsoft product and services. They are only permitted to use this information to repair or improve those products and services.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Change settings

mgarledge wrote:

A window came up on my computer "not on a browser" and asked me how likely I would recommend Chrome. I gave Chrome a glorious recommendation. Then a window came up with "Thand you, We'll use your feedback to improve your experience. Manage feedback settings."
"Go to Feedback home"
This above button took me to "Settings, Feedback & diagnostics? on this page are two settings. I have looked at a lot of settings but never this one. They are for "Feedback Frequency" and "Diagnostics and usage data"

The below quotes are for the Diagnostic and usage data. They are set to "Automatically (Recommended)" "Full (Recommended).
Look what each setting is for, and I can't find a way to say none....

Also, click on the privacy Statement...... I know... The price we pay to use Windows 10 .........

And, Google Chrome is not even a Windows product.
________________________________________________
"What do the different Diagnostic and usage data options mean?
As you use Windows, we collect performance and usage information that helps us identify and troubleshoot problems as well as improve our products and services. We recommend that you select Full for this setting.

Basic information is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also turns on basic error reporting back to Microsoft. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide updates to Windows (through Windows Update, including malicious software protection by the Malicious Software Removal Tool).

Enhanced data includes all Basic data plus data about how you use Windows, such as how frequently or how long you use certain features or apps and which apps you use most often. This option also lets us collect enhanced diagnostic information, such as the memory state of your device when a system or app crash occurs, which may unintentionally include parts of a document you were working on when a problem occurred. We also use this information to measure reliability of devices, the operating system, and apps. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide you with an enhanced and personalized Windows experience.

Full data includes all Basic and Enhanced data, and also turns on advanced diagnostic features that collect additional data from your device, which helps us further troubleshoot and fix problems. When devices experience problems that are difficult to diagnose or replicate with Microsoft’s internal testing, Microsoft will randomly select a small number of devices, from those opted into this level and exhibiting the problem, from which to gather all of the data needed to diagnose and fix the problem (including user content that may have triggered the issue). If an error report contains personal data, we won’t use that information to identify, contact, or target advertising to you. This is the recommended option for the best Windows experience and the most effective troubleshooting.

Who sees the diagnostic and usage information that’s collected through feedback and diagnostics?
As we describe in the Microsoft Privacy Statement, we share personal data, among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries. We limit internally the number and role of employees who may access this data and regularly review employee permissions to access such data. We also share this data with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement. In such cases, these companies must abide by our data privacy and security requirements and are not allowed to use personal data they receive from us for any other purpose. We also provide limited portions of error report information to partners (such as OEMs) to help them troubleshoot products and services which work with Windows and other Microsoft product and services. They are only permitted to use this information to repair or improve those products and services.

Mary .You can change the settings see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/feedback-diagn... .Make sure to click on each item listed for lots of information.

On the right bottom side of computer screen by clock.Click on notifications icon,all settings,privacy then Feedback and diagnostic. Use down arrows to make changes.Only the top one can you put never. The other one limits you to these selections.

As you use Windows, we collect performance and usage information that helps us identify and troubleshoot problems as well as improve our products and services. We recommend that you select Full for this setting.

Basic information is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also turns on basic error reporting back to Microsoft. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide updates to Windows (through Windows Update, including malicious software protection by the Malicious Software Removal Tool).

Enhanced data includes all Basic data plus data about how you use Windows, such as how frequently or how long you use certain features or apps and which apps you use most often. This option also lets us collect enhanced diagnostic information, such as the memory state of your device when a system or app crash occurs, which may unintentionally include parts of a document you were working on when a problem occurred. We also use this information to measure reliability of devices, the operating system, and apps. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide you with an enhanced and personalized Windows experience.

Full data includes all Basic and Enhanced data, and also turns on advanced diagnostic features that collect additional data from your device, which helps us further troubleshoot and fix problems. When devices experience problems that are difficult to diagnose or replicate with Microsoft’s internal testing, Microsoft will randomly select a small number of devices, from those opted into this level and exhibiting the problem, from which to gather all of the data needed to diagnose and fix the problem (including user content that may have triggered the issue). If an error report contains personal data, we won’t use that information to identify, contact, or target advertising to you. This is the recommended option for the best Windows experience and the most effective troubleshooting.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Yes this is where the window took me

charlesd45 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

Mary .You can change the settings see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/feedback-diagn... .Make sure to click on each item listed for lots of information.

On the right bottom side of computer screen by clock.Click on notifications icon,all settings,privacy then Feedback and diagnostic. Use down arrows to make changes.Only the top one can you put never. The other one limits you to these selections.

Thanks, your link took me to the same place the pop up took me. I am not sure if I want to change the settings. I like it when the errors are reported but if you don't select full all errors are not reported if I read it correctly. You have a trade off and not sure if I want it or not.
Basic---diagnostic of my pc
Enhanced---enhanced diagnostic
Full---advanced diagnostic
Just not sure if I want to turn this to Basic. I probably will when I read it over a couple of times.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

7 days later

Well I did decide to change my privacy settings.
I went to settings, privacy, and went through all the options. I kept the setting automatic to ask me to leave feedback and Basic (the least amount I can chose) to send information from my computer.

I turned off a lot of background apps that I don't use.
If in doubt I search each settings on google. If I was sure I wanted to turn it off I did but some I was not sure of I left on just in case turning them off would caused something not to work.

Will see if I have any problems with apps and if so will turn stuff back on one at a time.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Great Resource Site

I want to share a site that is a great resource site for a lot of things, including Windows 10. They have a lot of Free EBooks that you can download for free.

The 1st one that I downloaded was "Introduction to Windows 10 Settings" - Preserving your Privacy in Windows 10.

Very good book for setting all the Security settings. They have a lot to offer and I am downloading a few other EBooks from them.

The Site is called www.TradePub.com I learned from them from a site called www.sharewareonsale.com which gives free software for a period of time.

Check them out!

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

just remember

mgarledge wrote:

Well I did decide to change my privacy settings.
I went to settings, privacy, and went through all the options. I kept the setting automatic to ask me to leave feedback and Basic (the least amount I can chose) to send information from my computer.

I turned off a lot of background apps that I don't use.
If in doubt I search each settings on google. If I was sure I wanted to turn it off I did but some I was not sure of I left on just in case turning them off would caused something not to work.

Will see if I have any problems with apps and if so will turn stuff back on one at a time.

Updates will sometimes revert the settings to the it initial values... So you'll need to check the settings about once every couple of months.....

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

there is an easier way to do

there is an easier way to do this. There are a couple of apps that list all of them and make it easy to configure. I use DONOTSPY
It make changing them back and forth easy when you think u need one.

.

ruggb wrote:

there is an easier way to do this. There are a couple of apps that list all of them and make it easy to configure. I use DONOTSPY
It make changing them back and forth easy when you think u need one.

So you let donotspy spy you instead of Microsoft?

Thanks

BarneyBadass wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

Well I did decide to change my privacy settings.
I went to settings, privacy, and went through all the options. I kept the setting automatic to ask me to leave feedback and Basic (the least amount I can chose) to send information from my computer.

I turned off a lot of background apps that I don't use.
If in doubt I search each settings on google. If I was sure I wanted to turn it off I did but some I was not sure of I left on just in case turning them off would caused something not to work.

Will see if I have any problems with apps and if so will turn stuff back on one at a time.

Updates will sometimes revert the settings to the it initial values... So you'll need to check the settings about once every couple of months.....

I will check after updates for changes. Thanks

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I personally use an Obi110

charlesd45 wrote:

Thats my next move.Telephone over the internet for home phone. I do some of that now with google Hangout dialer just to test the quality.With Smartphone Google Hangout dialer works pretty good.

I personally use an Obi110 which uses Google Voice/Hangouts for making calls. The difference is the Obi lets you plug a standard handset into it. I have a wireless headset that plugs into it, and people I call see me calling from the same number when I call from my cell phone. Link is below, or go to Amazon and search for Obihai.
http://www.amazon.com/Obihai-OBi110-Service-Telephone-Adapte...

turning things off

I see a lot of programs out there to control MS win 10 do they really work? or does the program add to your problems ? it seems some functions continue to work even when turned off or get turned back on after an update or your system get screwed up if you turn the wrong thing off MS is getting a lot of attention on this but are they collecting more information then google , android , we are living in the big brother is watching era even my doctors are online, stores issue cards for free to get discounts on gas clothing electronics and they all collect information where will it end ? at some point in the future will we not have to leave the house because things will be delivered that we didn't order but that they knew we needed, we will have medical bracelets telling us when to see the doctor labor will be done by robots, and I believe this is where we are headed !

Windows 10 updated today

My Windows 10 updated today to windows 10 and it only changed how I logged in, no other settings were changed.

I always log in with no password on a local account. I was not able to use my computer until I signed in with my Microsoft Account. I signed in and changed my sing in back to local. This did not happen when my Netbook updated today, only my laptop. Anyone else have this problem?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

No problem

No problem here my last update was. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124262)

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Just remembered

I was logged into Microsoft when My computer rebooted from todays update. That may be why it did that.

O, I did break down and bought Office Home and Student, couldn't function without it.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Microsoft’s Office Online free

If you don't want to subscribe Office 365you may want to look at this as a alternate. Microsoft’s Office Online is a completely free, web-based version of Microsoft Office. Works along with One Drive. http://www.howtogeek.com/183299/a-free-microsoft-office-is-o...

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I did not subscribe I bought my own copy

charlesd45 wrote:

If you don't want to subscribe Office 365you may want to look at this as a alternate. Microsoft’s Office Online is a completely free, web-based version of Microsoft Office. Works along with One Drive. http://www.howtogeek.com/183299/a-free-microsoft-office-is-office-online-worth-using/

I bought a copy of Office Home and Student. I can use it on only one computer but that is all I need.

I had the free online apps but you could only view with them as when you wanted to change anything or start a new Word or Excel there was a pop up that said you had to subscribe to Office to make any changes. So I used my points with my credit card and ended up paying only $16.00 for it. Amazon has the best price to buy Office if you want it.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Office

Sounds like you got a good deal. I just started playing with the online office. It allows you to save to One Drive when you select Save AS. Use One Drive a lot for pictures and certain things I want to store there. Allows me to use my phone and tablet to access my files anywhere.Have 40 GB of storage .I have a another older office program I use also with the ASAP Utility.

Thanks for the info about not being able to go back and make changes.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Just plugged Nuvi 2450 into Windows 10

I am fixing to update my map and I haven't done a backup in a while so I changed folder view to show system files, plugged in Nuvi 2450 and I don't think the system files are showning on my Windows 10 laptop. Isn't there suppose to be a system file?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Hidden?

mgarledge wrote:

I am fixing to update my map and I haven't done a backup in a while so I changed folder view to show system files, plugged in Nuvi 2450 and I don't think the system files are showning on my Windows 10 laptop. Isn't there suppose to be a system file?

Do you have system files set to hidden? (which is the default)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files...

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

That was the first

soberbyker wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I am fixing to update my map and I haven't done a backup in a while so I changed folder view to show system files, plugged in Nuvi 2450 and I don't think the system files are showning on my Windows 10 laptop. Isn't there suppose to be a system file?

Do you have system files set to hidden? (which is the default)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files...

That was the first thing I did before I went to do the backup.

While in File Explorer I went to
-file
-change folder and search options
-view
-show hidden files, folders and drives
This is where I always changed it on Windows 7

I am correct in thinking there should be a system folder there???

EDIT:------ I toggled the view system files on and off to compare files and it is working but the only file it shows different is .volumelcon.ins. No system file.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

MTP?

mgarledge wrote:
soberbyker wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I am fixing to update my map and I haven't done a backup in a while so I changed folder view to show system files, plugged in Nuvi 2450 and I don't think the system files are showning on my Windows 10 laptop. Isn't there suppose to be a system file?

Do you have system files set to hidden? (which is the default)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files...

That was the first thing I did before I went to do the backup.

While in File Explorer I went to
-file
-change folder and search options
-view
-show hidden files, folders and drives
This is where I always changed it on Windows 7

I am correct in thinking there should be a system folder there???

EDIT:------ I toggled the view system files on and off to compare files and it is working but the only file it shows different is .volumelcon.ins. No system file.

You haven't also mentioned changing the Win 10's Options to uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). Look for that first.

If it's not the Windows 10 PC settings, then it could be the 2450's MTP setting that needs to be changed to MS mode. Good luck. I'm sure you'll report back when all is fixed cool

Backup

mgarledge wrote:

I am fixing to update my map and I haven't done a backup in a while so I changed folder view to show system files, plugged in Nuvi 2450 and I don't think the system files are showning on my Windows 10 laptop. Isn't there suppose to be a system file?

Mary here is a video on doing the backup and the settings
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0w8lNNHYg. Once you change the settings you will see the system files.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

A question

charlesd45 wrote:

Mary here is a video on doing the backup and the settings
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0w8lNNHYg. Once you change the settings you will see the system files.

Charlesd, I assume you are YouTube's GPS. If so, I wonder why when I click on the "GPS" just above the Subscribe button to be able to see all your videos, all I get is "This channel has no content." Any thoughts?

Will check on tablet right now

Not sure. It worked for me. Will check the settings and see if a problem. They are all listed here on POI Factory at. http://www.poi-factory.com/faq .Near bottom of screen click on Helpful Videos.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

No.

That is not correct.

Streaming with OpenELEC

charlesd45 wrote:

Just so much that you can now do that seem impossible a few years back. I am one of those guys who cut the cable cord. Outside antenna on the house that gets about 30 channels that include local stations.Internet for the rest. More then I could ever watch.

You guys might want to check this out:
http://openelec.tv

You can put this on a Raspberry Pi 2 and have a 1080p-capable HTPC for less than a hundred bucks total, by the time you buy everything you need, including a remote-control.

You can also install Kodi (formerly XBMC) on your existing Windows/Mac/Linux PC if you want to kick the tires. OpenELEC is an open-source software appliance which includes a special minimalist Linux build to run the Kodi media center software:
http://kodi.tv/about/

- Phil

Thanks

pquesinb wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

Just so much that you can now do that seem impossible a few years back. I am one of those guys who cut the cable cord. Outside antenna on the house that gets about 30 channels that include local stations.Internet for the rest. More then I could ever watch.

You guys might want to check this out:
http://openelec.tv

You can put this on a Raspberry Pi 2 and have a 1080p-capable HTPC for less than a hundred bucks total, by the time you buy everything you need, including a remote-control.

You can also install Kodi (formerly XBMC) on your existing Windows/Mac/Linux PC if you want to kick the tires. OpenELEC is an open-source software appliance which includes a special minimalist Linux build to run the Kodi media center software:
http://kodi.tv/about/

- Phil

Thanks for the information. A good alternative and not that pricey.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Privacy setting.

CraigW wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

Mary here is a video on doing the backup and the settings
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0w8lNNHYg. Once you change the settings you will see the system files.

Charlesd, I assume you are YouTube's GPS. If so, I wonder why when I click on the "GPS" just above the Subscribe button to be able to see all your videos, all I get is "This channel has no content." Any thoughts?

After some checking, found it is due to the privacy setting I set them to for displaying on the YouTube channel.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I unchecked the show system files but

charlesd45 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I am fixing to update my map and I haven't done a backup in a while so I changed folder view to show system files, plugged in Nuvi 2450 and I don't think the system files are showning on my Windows 10 laptop. Isn't there suppose to be a system file?

Mary here is a video on doing the backup and the settings
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0w8lNNHYg. Once you change the settings you will see the system files.

The video showed to uncheck a couple of other check boxes that I never needed to on Windows 7. They must have been unchecked by default. Well I unchecked the two boxes and guess what''' I now have a .system file. What would I do without all of you.
Thanks so much.
Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

@mgarledge

mgarledge wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

If you don't want to subscribe Office 365you may want to look at this as a alternate. Microsoft’s Office Online is a completely free, web-based version of Microsoft Office. Works along with One Drive. http://www.howtogeek.com/183299/a-free-microsoft-office-is-office-online-worth-using/

I bought a copy of Office Home and Student. I can use it on only one computer but that is all I need.

I had the free online apps but you could only view with them as when you wanted to change anything or start a new Word or Excel there was a pop up that said you had to subscribe to Office to make any changes. So I used my points with my credit card and ended up paying only $16.00 for it. Amazon has the best price to buy Office if you want it.

Mary. I composed a On Line Word document and saved to One Drive.Went back later and click on the document and then brought up to full screen. Listed under edit was option to edit in word or edit in word on line. Using word on line was able to made changes.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Ebook for Windows 10 Settings

bobkz wrote:

I want to share a site that is a great resource site for a lot of things, including Windows 10. They have a lot of Free EBooks that you can download for free.

The 1st one that I downloaded was "Introduction to Windows 10 Settings" - Preserving your Privacy in Windows 10.

Very good book for setting all the Security settings. They have a lot to offer and I am downloading a few other EBooks from them.

The Site is called www.TradePub.com I learned from them from a site called www.sharewareonsale.com which gives free software for a period of time.

Check them out!

Just A Thought, If anyone wants a Copy of this PDF file that I have, Shoot me a Email and I will be glad to send it to you.

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

Do you have Office

charlesd45 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

If you don't want to subscribe Office 365you may want to look at this as a alternate. Microsoft’s Office Online is a completely free, web-based version of Microsoft Office. Works along with One Drive. http://www.howtogeek.com/183299/a-free-microsoft-office-is-office-online-worth-using/

I bought a copy of Office Home and Student. I can use it on only one computer but that is all I need.

I had the free online apps but you could only view with them as when you wanted to change anything or start a new Word or Excel there was a pop up that said you had to subscribe to Office to make any changes. So I used my points with my credit card and ended up paying only $16.00 for it. Amazon has the best price to buy Office if you want it.

Mary. I composed a On Line Word document and saved to One Drive.Went back later and click on the document and then brought up to full screen. Listed under edit was option to edit in word or edit in word on line. Using word on line was able to made changes.

Do you have office other than the free Word and Excel?
Before when I didn't have Office installed on my computer the free Word and Excel app would not let me edit anything, all I could do was view my documents. I would get the popup that to edit I needed a Subscription to Office. I have One Drive and had my document in it when I tried to edit it before I bought Office.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

@mgarledge

Yes I do have another office program that I also use. Again thanks for the information. I am just playing around with the online to see what it can do.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Windows 10

Just checking. Is any one else having a lag in opening anything on Windows 10.
When I go to save a file it sometimes takes a few seconds (15 to 20) for my file explorer to open to save something.
Also, sometimes my "safely remove hardware" is sluggish and sometimes takes 15 to 30 seconds to open so I can eject something.
The lag is sometimes, not all the time.
My computer came with Windows 10 installed.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

1000 Posts!

Good lord...

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK
1 10 ... 16 17 18 19
21 22 23 24 ... 26
<<Page 20>>