Windows 10

 
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 ... 10 20 26
<<Page 4>>

@canuk

canuk wrote:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44665?page=2#comment-398740

P.S. Also testing out Alandb new FAQ for the very first time grin

Glad to see someone successfully use the FAQ

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Thanks

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

Mary, I believe you heard wrong about having to install 10 fresh on a Vista device, though I could be very very mistaken. If you have a lot of stuff on that computer you don't use however, a fresh installation of Windows 10 is probably not a bad idea.

When I did the upgrade last night, I was prompted before actually installing Windows and asked whether I wanted to keep my stuff or not. The three choices available could be boiled down to "yes", "maybe", and "no". The "maybe" option if I recall correctly kept your files but not the programs you installed.

Back up the stuff you want to keep onto that external drive, then let Windows 10 wipe the drive and install.

Now that I've installed 10 on that Centrino Duo, I'll probably install it on my Core i3 right after I'm done with this post. While conventional wisdom says not to place pre-production software on a device you commonly use, the current build of the technical preview is very stable.

I will back up what I need and to a complete new install.
Thanks, Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

How?

alandb wrote:

Looks like I am not eligible for the upgrade on my Windows 7 Pro desktop computer. It is quite old ... a system I built myself in 2003. I upgraded it from XP MCE to Win 7 Pro 64 bit in 2011, and it runs W7 just fine. I was wondering why I was not offered the Windows 10 upgrade. It turns out the AMD Athlon processor is not compatible with Windows 10.

Oh well, I like Windows 7 anyway and can still get a few more years of service with it on my 12 year old desktop. I guess that old box doesn't owe me anything.

How do you find out if Windows 10 will go on your computer?

Will it not work on all AMD processors?

Not sure what processor I have. I probably bought my old computer around 2006 I think.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Your reservation

mgarledge wrote:

How do you find out if Windows 10 will go on your computer?

Will it not work on all AMD processors?

Not sure what processor I have. I probably bought my old computer around 2006 I think.

On your Windows 10 reservation, click the three horiz bars at the top left, then click Check your PC. It will list hardware as well as software like when you first saw that your Norton 360 was non compatible.

My PC shows my hardware compatible and for processor, it only states that my processor is 1GHz or faster which makes it acceptable. More info from MS on requirements for their Win 10 Preview OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-syste...

Even more:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specificat...

Windows Insider here....

I am a Windows Insider and have been using Windows 10 since it became availiable for testing. I am now on the next to the last build before it becomes public (10147). People.... You are going to like it. Coming along very nicely. Don't knock it until you try it. I am "Dual Booting" with both 8.1 and 10. I am finding I am on 10 way more! 95% of the time.

Since Vista is not offered

Johnecobb wrote:

I am a Windows Insider and have been using Windows 10 since it became availiable for testing. I am now on the next to the last build before it becomes public (10147). People.... You are going to like it. Coming along very nicely. Don't knock it until you try it. I am "Dual Booting" with both 8.1 and 10. I am finding I am on 10 way more! 95% of the time.

Since Vista is not offered the Windows 10 icon I can not see if my Vista computer is compatible. I have joined Windows Insider but have not tried to download it to that computer. When you downloaded it do you have an option of which build and does it tell you if your computer is compatible before you download it?

I have googled Windows 10 and blogs about it and it looks great.

Thanks, Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Thanks Craig

CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

How do you find out if Windows 10 will go on your computer?

Will it not work on all AMD processors?

Not sure what processor I have. I probably bought my old computer around 2006 I think.

On your Windows 10 reservation, click the three horiz bars at the top left, then click Check your PC. It will list hardware as well as software like when you first saw that your Norton 360 was non compatible.

My PC shows my hardware compatible and for processor, it only states that my processor is 1GHz or faster which makes it acceptable. More info from MS on requirements for their Win 10 Preview OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-syste...

Even more:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

I will look at these for my Vista computer.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Ah

mgarledge wrote:
CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

How do you find out if Windows 10 will go on your computer?

Will it not work on all AMD processors?

Not sure what processor I have. I probably bought my old computer around 2006 I think.

On your Windows 10 reservation, click the three horiz bars at the top left, then click Check your PC. It will list hardware as well as software like when you first saw that your Norton 360 was non compatible.

My PC shows my hardware compatible and for processor, it only states that my processor is 1GHz or faster which makes it acceptable. More info from MS on requirements for their Win 10 Preview OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq-syste...

Even more:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

I will look at these for my Vista computer.

Ah, I didn't realize your PC uses Vista. You should be able to check your hardware processor and memory by going to ControlPanel/System, then compare it to the Win 10 requirements in the links I provided earlier.

Given the vintage of hardware available on a old Vista machine, I would worry about how well Win 10 would work on it even if it does just meet the Win 10 requirements.

From what I read, Win XP and Vista folks won't get a free upgrade but will have to buy a copy of Win10. Given the expected cost of Win10, it may be nearly as cheap to buy a Win7 or Win8.1 PC with newer faster hardware and also get the free Win10 upgrade.

I'm using Vista and having

I'm using Vista and having no problems. Why mess with a new,unproven system?

--
an94

Hope for the best

Still using Windows 7 on all my computers. My laptop with Windows 8 sits gathering dust so I cannot wait for Windows 10 upgrade. I hope Win10 works similar to Win7 because I hate Win8.

Upgrade

alandb wrote:
JanJ wrote:

You will not see me ever relinquish W7-64

"will not see me ever relinquish W7-64" Really? I was pretty attached to Windows 98 back in the day and saw no reason to upgrade to XP ... but, but, but nuthin' runs on 98 anymore. The same will happen with W7. So unless you are planning to put your feet on the brown side of the grass ... you will most likely decide to give up W7 at some point. smile

I have always taken a wait and see approach to upgrades, having been burned once or twice in the past. Usually, I will see something somewhat compelling in the new OS that I want and then I'll go for it. I don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

Windows 10 reservation

I actually got a "Windows 10 Reservation" pop up, I assume out of the Windows Update process on my Windows 7 computer. Haven't gotten anything similar to that on any of my Windows 8 computers.

--
Nuvi 2460

My Upstairs Computer is a Vista

The computer (upstairs) I have set up for my Grand kids is a Vista.

I looked at it today and it is :
Intel Core 2 quad Processor Q6600
8 memory
640 GB Hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 3650 Garfic card

Hopefully this will work with Windows 10.
If so I will do a full install as I do not use anything on the computer. It is just used to play games for the grand kids.

If I can get it to work with Windows 10 I will see how I like it and see if I want my Windows 7 (Downstairs) computer to be upgraded with Windows 10.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I think it'll work

mgarledge wrote:

The computer (upstairs) I have set up for my Grand kids is a Vista.

I looked at it today and it is :
Intel Core 2 quad Processor Q6600
8 memory
640 GB Hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 3650 Garfic card

Hopefully this will work with Windows 10.
If so I will do a full install as I do not use anything on the computer. It is just used to play games for the grand kids.

If I can get it to work with Windows 10 I will see how I like it and see if I want my Windows 7 (Downstairs) computer to be upgraded with Windows 10.

I think the your Vista PC will work with Win10. But if I'm correct that Windows XP and Vista will need to buy the Win 10 operating system and if my guess that buying it for one PC could be around $100, is it worth the price? Also, note that the Vista games (Solitaire and Minesweeper) are not part of Win 8.1 or 10, although similar free MS apps can be installed from the MS Store.

If you take the route of

If you take the route of Windows Insider, and install the preview beta, then you can get the free upgrade. I have 7 Enterprise and went that route.

I run Windows on a Virtual machine on my MacBook with only half the resources, equivalent of a Vista machine, and it works. A little draggy, but it's faster than the Win 7 install.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

How to get it free with Vista.

CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

The computer (upstairs) I have set up for my Grand kids is a Vista.

I looked at it today and it is :
Intel Core 2 quad Processor Q6600
8 memory
640 GB Hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 3650 Garfic card

Hopefully this will work with Windows 10.
If so I will do a full install as I do not use anything on the computer. It is just used to play games for the grand kids.

If I can get it to work with Windows 10 I will see how I like it and see if I want my Windows 7 (Downstairs) computer to be upgraded with Windows 10.

I think the your Vista PC will work with Win10. But if I'm correct that Windows XP and Vista will need to buy the Win 10 operating system and if my guess that buying it for one PC could be around $100, is it worth the price? Also, note that the Vista games (Solitaire and Minesweeper) are not part of Win 8.1 or 10, although similar free MS apps can be installed from the MS Store.

See the link in Charlie's post here: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44665?page=2#comment-400052

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

.

alandb wrote:

See the link in Charlie's post here: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44665?page=2#comment-400052

There's been an update. Looks like they're backing away from free for beta tester promise.

Update, June 21st 9:45AM: Microsoft has updated its blog post today and removed references to "remain activated." The stealthy edit isn't acknowledged, and we've reached out to the company for comment.

Can't be totally "free"

mgarledge wrote:

Just read this...

"At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it."

I appreciate the clarification and firm statement that there will be no subscription plan. But I still think there's a shoe that hasn't dropped. Microsoft is a publicly traded company. It's expensive to develop and maintain Windows 10. It's expensive to run their cloud. Anytime somebody says "This version is free" when the last one wasn't, make sure your wallet is still in your pocket. Microsoft will have a new way to generate revenue to compensate for those high costs and still turn a profit. I want to know what that way is before moving on from Windows 7.

--
JMoo On

Wi-Fi Sense

In Windows 10, as well as Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft adds a great feature to make your life easier.

Now when you log on to a Wi-Fi access point, you can share that information (SSID and password) with your friends on Outlook, Skype, and Facebook! That way they can use that Wi-Fi service as well! And you can automagically use the ones your friends have discovered!

Isn't that fantastic!

No, I'm not making this up:

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/connectivity/w...

This is a sysadmin's nightmare. But don't worry, Micrsoft has provided a workaround -- simply rename *ALL* your WiFi SSIDs to include "_optout" and they won't be shared by Wi-Fi Sense. Isn't that simple?

No, it isn't.

grumble grumble grumble. This kind of work I don't need.

--
Nuvi 2460, 680, DATUM Tymserve 2100, Trimble Thunderbolt, Ham radio, Macintosh, Linux, Windows

I agree K6rtm

I was a network administrator for a fairly large K12 school network for the last 15 years of my career, and that "feature" would have really PO'ed me. It is tough enough trying to stay on top of network security without that kind of "sharing".

Glad I am retired so you younger guys and gals can deal with this stuff grin

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Windows Insider

Johnecobb wrote:

I am a Windows Insider and have been using Windows 10 since it became availiable for testing. I am now on the next to the last build before it becomes public (10147). People.... You are going to like it. Coming along very nicely. Don't knock it until you try it. I am "Dual Booting" with both 8.1 and 10. I am finding I am on 10 way more! 95% of the time.

I didn't even bother dual booting. grin

I'm on 10130 at the moment. Does 10147 fix auto-hide for the taskbar?

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

I think I will...

..wait awhile before jumping on this. I'll wait until it's been out a awhile to see what kind of problems they have.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

can't...

Can't wait to get the new software update. Did I mention for free!

...

Reserved mine!

--
Michael (Nuvi 2639LMT)

I'm On

I am on Windows 10 on my Vista Computer (spare computer)
Gave me a fright and had a black screen at the end.
This is the first place I have gone.....

I read a blog on my phone and it said to restart the computer and that worked.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

That's great

mgarledge wrote:

I am on Windows 10 on my Vista Computer (spare computer)
Gave me a fright and had a black screen at the end.
This is the first place I have gone.....

I read a blog on my phone and it said to restart the computer and that worked.

That's great.

Just for fun, I checked my old Windows XP netbook to see if would be upgraded. The processor and available storage were too low for Win 10 so I didn't try to install it.

Interesting

Just saw the pop up on my computer earlier this week and was wondering what it was about. Thanks for the info. I will probably wait a little while to do anything.

Sorry

CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I am on Windows 10 on my Vista Computer (spare computer)
Gave me a fright and had a black screen at the end.
This is the first place I have gone.....

I read a blog on my phone and it said to restart the computer and that worked.

That's great.

Just for fun, I checked my old Windows XP netbook to see if would be upgraded. The processor and available storage were too low for Win 10 so I didn't try to install it.

So glad I was able to install it.

Edit: Do like Windows 10. I found how to get Wild-tangent games to work for the Grand Kids. All it took was changing to Internet Explorer instead of the Windows 10 browser. I remembered that my Chrome would not work with the games and had to use Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 and that was it... Thank goodness. Would have hated to break the computer the grand kids play on.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Norton 360 and Windows 10

I have the Windows 10 build 10130 on my extra computer.

I noticed that my Windows app on my Windows 7, main computer, no longer said Norton 360 was not comparable.

So I install Norton 360 on my Windows 10 build and Norton registered it as Mary-Windows 10.
AND it works great.

Norton did a quick scan and found 16 tracking cookies.

It looks like Norton is going to be OK with Windows 10.
Will keep checking it and let y'all know if anything doesn't work correctly.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

If they offer it to me for

If they offer it to me for free I'll give it a go after it's been out for a while. Have to wait to see what all it breaks before I go all in with it. None of my computers have shown up with it as an option yet.

I Have Been Running the Technical Preview for Several Months

I am also on the Windows Insider program, when I joined it for my Windows phone.

I like the way that Windows is starting to shape up, and the similarities already between my PC, tablet and phone are great.

As long as you have a valid (registered) copy of Windows 7 or higher, you should get prompted to "reserve" Windows 10. The Enterprise version won't be offered (they assume that enterprise is installed on a company owned computer, and corporate IT isn't going to allow individual upgrades. Also, Netbooks may or may not be offered, depending on the specs.

If you have Vista or XP or older, you won't be offered the upgrade, even if the hardware can handle it.

As for the comments about being free - or not being free, look at it this way; Linux has always had free distributions of the many flavors. Apple has had completely free OS upgrades for several years now, and Microsoft may finally be realizing that people aren't paying the hundred dollars or more that they used to charge. One of the comments I've seen come from Microsoft is that they want to see as many people using Windows 10 as possible. Whether you like Apple, Windows, Linux, or other, having a lot of people still using very old versions isn't good, especially when they may not be supported any more (yet, people will still complain about things not working).

I am looking forward to my PC's getting their upgrades. Now, to go update my Mac with the updates it's asking for.

--
And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum - already in progress . . .

I'm really looking forward to this upgrade

I'm still running an Intel 8088, microprocessor, It is a variant of the Intel 8086. Introduced in July 1979. It's got an 8-bit external data bus. I've got a whopping 64Kb of addressable memory bolted onto this puppy. The CPU is running at a blistering 4.77 MHz.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading and running the latest and greatest Windows 10! razz

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

just going

To wait and let everyone that's clammering for Win10 to shake it out, at least for the first few months. Seen Microsoft's track record in the past with new OS releases.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

.

nrbovee wrote:

None of my computers have shown up with it as an option yet.

1 out of my 3 Windows 7 doesn't get the offer either. 2 Home Premium PCs get the offer and I've reserved it. 1 Ultimate hasn't got the offer today. I'm sure a Q8300 (quad core 2.5GHz) with 8GB RAM and 750GB HD meets the requirements.

Airbrushed wrote:

As long as you have a valid (registered) copy of Windows 7 or higher, you should get prompted to "reserve" Windows 10.

Not necessarily. I didn't get the required component (KB3035583) on 1 PC running Windows 7 Ultimate (it's valid and activated). The folder C:\Windows\System32\GWX does not exist either.

KB3035583 direct download:

KB3035583 direct download: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/softwa...

Once installed, if the prompt doesn't appear, force it using the information at this page: http://techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-get-windows-10-app...

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Window Media Player/Window Media Center

For those of you who have not install or update to window 10 yet, they is a downside WIndow Media Player is not supported, for anyone who have the window media player for playing movie picture and song all the title and artist of the song will not be avaiables in window 10.

I Have no idea why Window media player/ Center/ as been drop by microsoft in the new window 10..

(keep in mind that Microsoft have NOT provvide any alternative about this)

I am sure a lot of you know that During the Installation of window 10 you will get a warning about it..

If anything hold me back it maybe this..!!!

The good side Window 10 come with DIRECTX 12

Let 10 Mature Before Upgrading

I will keep my Win 7 until Win 10 is at least 6 months old and probably at SP1 maturity (i.e waiting until the initial bugs and security holes are fixed).

Thanks

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

KB3035583 direct download: http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/softwa...

I manually downloaded the needed KB3035583 a week ago but I decided not to install it. On the second thought, I don't really want to upgrade this PC to Windows 10 at any time soon. The other 2 PC/laptop are my test machines. Those are the ones that will be upgraded to Windows 10 as soon as it's available.

according to this site ....

Driver 38 wrote:

For those of you who have not install or update to window 10 yet, they is a downside WIndow Media Player is not supported, for anyone who have the window media player for playing movie picture and song all the title and artist of the song will not be avaiables in window 10.

I Have no idea why Window media player/ Center/ as been drop by microsoft in the new window 10..

(keep in mind that Microsoft have NOT provvide any alternative about this)

I am sure a lot of you know that During the Installation of window 10 you will get a warning about it..

If anything hold me back it maybe this..!!!

The good side Window 10 come with DIRECTX 12

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/01/25/windows-10-vs-window...

Quote:

Throw out everything you know about media for Windows 10 because there are a lot of changes. First, chances are that you watched DVDs in Windows Media Player or one of the other apps device makers included on their PCs. Make sure you do an upgrade to Windows 10 instead of a fresh install or you’ll lose the ability to play DVDs without purchasing another app. Not only has Windows Media Player been relegated to legacy status, Microsoft went and removed built-in DVD playback. To be clear, you can still purchase a DVD player app if they’re really important to you.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Ultimate not included

chewbacca wrote:

~snip~ 1 Ultimate hasn't got the offer today. I'm sure a Q8300 (quad core 2.5GHz) with 8GB RAM and 750GB HD meets the requirements.

Airbrushed wrote:

As long as you have a valid (registered) copy of Windows 7 or higher, you should get prompted to "reserve" Windows 10.

Not necessarily. I didn't get the required component (KB3035583) on 1 PC running Windows 7 Ultimate (it's valid and activated). The folder C:\Windows\System32\GWX does not exist either.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/upgr...

Quote:

Windows Anytime Upgrade isn't available in all editions of Windows 7, such as Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

.

soberbyker wrote:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/upgr...

Quote:

Windows Anytime Upgrade isn't available in all editions of Windows 7, such as Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

That article is has nothing to do with Windows 10. Look at the title "Upgrade to another edition of Windows 7 by using Windows Anytime Upgrade".

Windows Anytime Upgrade is upgrading Win 7 Home to Pro or Pro to Ultimate version. It's been available since 2009 and it isn't a free upgrade.

May be OK

350Zee wrote:

... and a good hardware reason to match that O.S. rolleyes

Microsoft has a history. Every OTHER release tends to be well-accepted, so Windows 10 will hopefully be ok. wink

That said, I imagine that I will wait a while for them to fix bugs before diving in.

An according to this site and many others

You say it..THROW out everything you know about Window media Player in window 10 cause that is what Microsoft as done

http://www.intowindows.com/windows-media-center-is-not-avail...

and

Driver 38 wrote:

An according to this site and many others You say it..THROW out everything you know about Window media Player in window 10 cause that is what Microsoft as done

http://www.intowindows.com/windows-media-center-is-not-available-on-windows-10/

Still other sites will tell you installing Windows 10 will stunt your growth,cause your hair to fall out and create racial divide.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

That"s why

You should be very Careful witch web site are you visiting Box Car

Me too

Olivetti M24 dos 3.31, connected to a schlumberger pen plotter as a printer spooler

--
If only ..

oops

chewbacca wrote:

That article is has nothing to do with Windows 10. Look at the title "Upgrade to another edition of Windows 7 by using Windows Anytime Upgrade".

Windows Anytime Upgrade is upgrading Win 7 Home to Pro or Pro to Ultimate version. It's been available since 2009 and it isn't a free upgrade.

My bad, don't chew my head off, I seem to recall someone on some forum saying that they didn't get the tray notification and they had 7 Ultimate and for some reason it wasn't eligible. A quick e\search early this am as I was getting ready for work brought up that site. A quick, but obviously not thorough, scan mentioned what I thought I recalled seeing.

Upon further research it does seem 7 ultimate is indeed good to go.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specificat...

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

.

soberbyker wrote:

My bad, don't chew my head off, I seem to recall someone on some forum saying that they didn't get the tray notification and they had 7 Ultimate and for some reason it wasn't eligible. A quick e\search early this am as I was getting ready for work brought up that site. A quick, but obviously not thorough, scan mentioned what I thought I recalled seeing.

Upon further research it does seem 7 ultimate is indeed good to go.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Not a problem. I almost believed your reply because there have been so many articles with conflicting stories about Windows 10 upgrade policy. I thought MS decided not to include Ultimate versions. Strange but anything is possible.

I just wanted to provide correct information as I recalled seeing an upgrade path from Win 7 Pro/Ultimate to Win 10 Pro (there's no Win 10 Ultimate).

@Driver 38

Windows Media Center is taking a dirt nap, but Windows Media Center users will get a DVD playback option. See PC World for details. Windows Media Player is a completely different beast from Media Center and will still be in Windows 10. The technical preview doesn't have DVD playback support, and there's no guarantee Microsoft will offer it in the finished product with the advent of streaming services.

If Microsoft doesn't include DVD playback codecs in Windows 10, the aforementioned DVD playback option is the most likely option, as it will likely work on any device, whether it had Media Center or not. Depending on the device, it may also have come with a separate DVD player. For example, the Dell laptop I'm typing this on came with a copy of CyberLink PowerDVD. For other people, simply installing VLC Media Player should be sufficient to provide DVD playback capability.

Media Center was dropped because device manufacturers I believe treated it like an afterthought. With Media Center, you really needed a remote control to take advantage of it, and it appeared that very few laptops actually came with one. In the case of the multiple laptops in my house, the oldest laptop in the house is a Vista device that included a remote control so you could actually use Media Center. That device is what's currently running the 10 Technical Preview.

There are other reasons why it was killed, and my speculation may not have any part in the reasoning, but I never used Media Center on any of my devices, and in fact, it caused problems with the Windows 7 device I'm typing this on. Because Media Center had never been started, Media Player would always start in a windowed mode, no matter what you set it at. Once Media Center was started, the expected behavior returned.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

.

VLC is what I use, as well. Media player wasn't as good IMO.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 ... 10 20 26
<<Page 4>>