new & interesting places for your GPS

The 2014.40 map update has been uploaded to Garmin's servers

 
--
Garmin Nuvi 3490lmt, 765t with Lifetime maps and Clear Channel traffic
<<Page 2>>

Code freeze

It only means they don't plan to change anything on the map data unless some bugs pop out. It does no way mean it is ready for mass deployment.

Is it

here yet?

Yawn

Yawn.... I've gone into hibernation for the winter.

Maybe I'll update when it comes out, maybe not.

They had not fixed any of my reported errors in the last update, and some of those were sent in to Garmin almost a year ago, so I don't expect anything has changed.

2

Page two :^)

--
Garmin nuvi 350 Lifetime Map Updates NT 2014.40 -- Garmin c320 NT 2010.10

Well

Well I for one am excited about this update. According to the information from HERE's map data, there should be lots and lots of corrections in my area.

.

Wow seems like we just did one.

Map Accuracy

We drove from NC to St Augustine for Christmas. If you go down I -95 no map is going to help you if it sends you through Jacksonville, the road is under construction the whole way. The only traffic warning we got along the way was a 25 mile "Construction Ahead" notice there!

Map Accuracy

We drove from NC to St Augustine for Christmas. If you go down I -95 no map is going to help you if it sends you through Jacksonville, the road is under construction the whole way. The only traffic warning we got along the way was a 25 mile "Construction Ahead" notice there!

The map should be ready

The map should be ready before my birthday on March 10th

Europe 2014.40 is out

Garmin released 2014.40 for Europe today. For the 2014.30 version, we had to wait several weeks for the NA map after Europe was released.

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

confirmation

I can confirm that EU version is out first this time.

2014.40

Can someone please Tell me what JCV version for full screen and split screen lane assistance go with the 2014.40 new map version and where I can find it?

The 2014.40 full-screen JCV

The 2014.40 full-screen JCV should have a file name of D3060140A.JCV. It is the only JCV file that - as far as I know - Garmin makes available for direct download. Legally, there is no way to download the split-screen JCV file directly as Garmin does not make the file available on its servers but requires the end user to update the map, which also updates the JCV file on the device.

The JCV file isn't available yet because the map itself isn't available yet.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

...

Thanks for the info!

--
Michael -- Nuvi 755T

>

dkstl wrote:

Tomorrow?

They do this on purpose so they can laugh at all the poi factory members. It's like the little kid in the car.........are we there yet, are we there yet.

--
nüvi®3790LMT nüvi®3590LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not ride to work on snow mobiles

Are You Certain?

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

The 2014.40 full-screen JCV should have a file name of D3060140A.JCV. It is the only JCV file that - as far as I know - Garmin makes available for direct download. Legally, there is no way to download the split-screen JCV file directly as Garmin does not make the file available on its servers but requires the end user to update the map, which also updates the JCV file on the device.

The JCV file isn't available yet because the map itself isn't available yet.

I believe the upcoming 2014.40 full screen JCV file will be D3060130A.JCV. The last full screen JCV file for the 2014.30 maps made available in Nov., 2013, was D3060120A.JCV.

D3060140A.JCV will likely be the next full screen JCV files for the 2015.10 maps that will come out in the approximate April-May-June timeline.

Exciting new feature Garmin in map update 2014.40

I can't wait for that exciting new feature Garmin has in map update 2014.40.

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

or not

koot wrote:

Exciting new feature Garmin in map update 2014.40
I can't wait for that exciting new feature Garmin has in map update 2014.40.

.

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

I agree

You are right mcginkleschmidt I did some online research and the new JCV version that go with the 2014.40 is the D3060130A,and not the D3060140A.

It's Just A Guessing Game

More often than not, City Navigator Europe is released earlier than CN North America.

Cn Europe 2014.30 released on 10/23/13
Just Released CN Europe 2014.40 on 1/30/14

CN North America 2014.30 was released on 11/20/13
My guess would be very late February to early March.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

1st week of March..

and 11 pages.

It will be released on...

…January 31st. OOPS! already wrong. redface

--
Tuckahoe Mike - Nuvi 3490LMT, Nuvi 260W, iPhone5

Of course it is getting closer

Of course it is getting closer. I was thinking of bringing the GPS in from the car to update it, so it's time for rumored new maps.

That's how it always works for me.

I've got solid insider information

I've got solid insider information that the Garmin 2014.40 release will install technology into your GPS device that allows the NSA to not only track your whereabouts in real-time, but also to listen to your in-car conversations. I might add, don't think you're off the hook when you're by yourself in the car - because your most intimate cell phone conversations, your singing and even gas-passing noises are captured and recorded.

Just saying'

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

Do you know Tim? ;)

Typo

mcginkleschmidt wrote:

I believe the upcoming 2014.40 full screen JCV file will be D3060130A.JCV.

You're right. 'Twas a type on my part.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Who wants to go anywhere

Who wants to go anywhere far with this cold winter anyway. I'll stay home, thanks and therefore in no hurry to update.

My Vote

February 12th

Next question... What will be the last upgrade that will work with a Nuvi 660 & the 2Gb Limit?

--
2x Nuvi 660'sOne with -- Lifetime Maps -- Lifetime Traffic And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that Doesn't support External POI's BOO HOO!

.

koot wrote:

I've got solid insider information that the Garmin 2014.40 release will install technology into your GPS device that allows the NSA to not only track your whereabouts in real-time, but also to listen to your in-car conversations. I might add, don't think you're off the hook when you're by yourself in the car - because your most intimate cell phone conversations, your singing and even gas-passing noises are captured and recorded.

Just saying'

Maybe by 2014.50 they will be able to smell it too??

--
Garmin nuvi 350 Lifetime Map Updates NT 2014.40 -- Garmin c320 NT 2010.10

Good question JanJ

JanJ wrote:

February 12th

Next question... What will be the last upgrade that will work with a Nuvi 660 & the 2Gb Limit?

Since 2014.30 is 1.97GB, my guess is that the pending 2014.40 will go over the limit. So if you want the full NA, you may need to install a reduced region, then use MapInstall to install the remainder as a supplemental map file.

Another interesting question is if Garmin will ever use the "useful life" language in their EULA to declare these units obsolete and no longer honor the lifetime map subscription. To my knowledge, they have never disabled a lifetime map subscription because of obsolesence of the hardware (even on the old Street Pilots).

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Garmins respect for their customers

One oft the reasons my latest GPS is a Rand McNally 7725 is Garmins customer service I am a former Garmin supporter starting with a gps12map, gpsIII+,GPS V,Nuvi360, Nuvi200,and last but not least a Nuvi1450LMT that they repeated refused to fix

I can wait

The renewals come out and the updates seem pretty minor for all the work of updating the GPS units. Downloading and updating is getting tougher as some of my older units don't have the built in memory to deal with the Garmin POI bloat.

I would guess nearly half of the Garmin GPS owners never figure it out at all.

No new roads

I-70 bridge in St. Louis probably won't show up for a year or 2015.40

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

LOL.

LOL. grin

page 2

I only update every 2nd or 3rd up-date there is not enough change to spend the time with the large JCV file and maps.
I do read all the comments to look for potential problems before I update.

--
garry

Here.com

spokybob wrote:

I-70 bridge in St. Louis probably won't show up for a year or 2015.40

The Map Creator data has the bridge connecting I-70 to I-64 over the Mississippi, so it very well might be in this map update.

Amen!

Amen, brother!

Same here

garry1p wrote:

I only update every 2nd or 3rd up-date there is not enough change to spend the time with the large JCV file and maps.
I do read all the comments to look for potential problems before I update.

I don't bother updating everytime either for the same reason.

Hi JanJ I have 660 as

Hi JanJ

I have 660 as well. Out lived the internal storage along time ago. I bought an 8gb Sd card, put it into your PC, format to fat 32 and followed the direction posted below to install directly to the card. Works great, and takes about 20 minutes to download to the SD card and ready to go. No more two hour installs like the old way. You can now delete the old map off from the Garmin. Use Garmin Express to do the install to the SD card. I didn't come up with this idea, the credit goes to Alandb

1) Format the SD card FAT32.
2) Create folder \Garmin on the card.
3) Copy file garmindevice.xml from your nuvi into the \Garmin folder of the SD.
4) Disconnect your nuvi and put the SD card in your computer's card reader. Log into my.garmin.com. The SD card will be recognized as your nuvi
5) Proceed with the map update using Garmin Express as normal. When it is finished, you will have the 3 map files in the \Garmin folder of the SD card. They will be named gmapprom.img, gmapprom.unl and gmapprom.gma.
6) Rename the map files to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp.unl and gmapsupp.gma.
7) Insert the SD card in your nuvi and boot. You should now be running with the new maps on the SD card. Look at Map Info to make sure the correct maps are enabled.

@raven1948

raven1948 wrote:

Hi JanJ
I have 660 as well. Out lived the internal storage along time ago. I bought an 8gb Sd card, put it into your PC, format to fat 32 and followed the direction posted below to install directly to the card. Works great, and takes about 20 minutes to download to the SD card and ready to go. No more two hour installs like the old way. You can now delete the old map off from the Garmin. Use Garmin Express to do the install to the SD card. I didn't come up with this idea, the credit goes to Alandb

1) Format the SD card FAT32.
2) Create folder \Garmin on the card.
3) Copy file garmindevice.xml from your nuvi into the \Garmin folder of the SD.
4) Disconnect your nuvi and put the SD card in your computer's card reader. Log into my.garmin.com. The SD card will be recognized as your nuvi
5) Proceed with the map update using Garmin Express as normal. When it is finished, you will have the 3 map files in the \Garmin folder of the SD card. They will be named gmapprom.img, gmapprom.unl and gmapprom.gma.
6) Rename the map files to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp.unl and gmapsupp.gma.
7) Insert the SD card in your nuvi and boot. You should now be running with the new maps on the SD card. Look at Map Info to make sure the correct maps are enabled.

Your above procedure is correct and has worked for you up until now, but it’s highly probable it won’t work for the 2014.40 update if installing the FULL North America Map. Sine 2014.30 was 1.97 MB in size, the 2014.40 will most likely exceed the 2GB limit map size the 660 will recognize. As alanb stated, “So if you want the full NA, you may need to install a reduced region, then use MapInstall to install the remainder as a supplemental map file.”

This 2 GB limit also applies to anyone owning the following models:
nuvi 300 Series
nuvi 600 Series
nuvi 5000
StreetPilot c500 Series

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?c...

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

...

Hands on hips, tapping foot...

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

and?

DorkusNimrod wrote:

Hands on hips, tapping foot...

Breathing loudly?

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

.

DorkusNimrod wrote:

Hands on hips, tapping foot...

My dad paces. Seems to help him. smile

....

Box Car wrote:
DorkusNimrod wrote:

Hands on hips, tapping foot...

Breathing loudly?

close but...Glancing at watch every 5 seconds.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

.

Motorcycle Mama wrote:
DorkusNimrod wrote:

Hands on hips, tapping foot...

My dad paces. Seems to help him. smile

Thanks for the tip...I'll try it to take some burden off of my foot tapping. mrgreen

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Re: The 2014.40 map update has been uploaded to Garmin's servers

Haven't even done the 2014.30 update yet! But I think I still will, before .40 is made available. Here in SoCal, updates seem to show up fairly quickly. A new exchange between the 52 freeway Hwy 67 showed up within two update cycles!

I just updated for the first

I just updated for the first time in a few years, I've yet to run into anything that has been out of date. I guess my area just stays the same, lol.

Been doing that...

I've been doing the Maps on the SD Card trick for 2+ years.... However, there still is a 2GB limit for maps for the 660... and a few other units...

It's the 2GB limit that I'm concerned about.

Page 3 anyone?

--
2x Nuvi 660'sOne with -- Lifetime Maps -- Lifetime Traffic And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that Doesn't support External POI's BOO HOO!

I'm ready.. at least I think

I'm ready.. at least I think I am..

Wow, they are releaseing later than normal

Could be a good thing, or a very bad thing.

<<Page 2>>

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 17 users and 61 guests online.

Online users

  • alcluin
  • alandb
  • RobertWhitney
  • Summitnut
  • mahoney
  • tholland
  • sl4gps61
  • t923347
  • jimbob55
  • Chulo8076