City Navigator North America 2013.20 is available

 

City Navigator North America 2013.20 is available as of a few minutes ago. I'm downloading it as we speak.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.
1 2 3 4
<<Page 5>>

SD card

I have SD cards in all my GPS's and put the maps on them.. Even though I can only load a 4gig file in fat32 I can get 2 extra maps on my 775 with the addition of the second map on a 8gig card.. I find they run faster with extra space on the internal memory.. I am going to update the 775 first. If I get the file i'll copy it to the SD cards on the 885's.. Thanks.. I tried the link to the file on garmins site, they must have taken it down. All I get is a character set displayed..

Link

finbar wrote:

I have SD cards in all my GPS's and put the maps on them.. Even though I can only load a 4gig file in fat32 I can get 2 extra maps on my 775 with the addition of the second map on a 8gig card.. I find they run faster with extra space on the internal memory.. I am going to update the 775 first. If I get the file i'll copy it to the SD cards on the 885's.. Thanks.. I tried the link to the file on garmins site, they must have taken it down. All I get is a character set displayed..

The link to the large jcv file still works for me. I wonder if there's an issue with your browser or its settings.

excellent.Will install later.

excellent.Will install later.

--
Garmin Nuvi 255W

haven't..

Haven't tried out new streets yet over in Wisconsin...can't wait.

fixed it..

The content didn't match the security level.. It worked fine after I fixed the settings.. Thanks

Wait for Bugs

Best to wait a bit before downloading.

Don't forget to include the PC too in the file save.

--
romanviking

You already have it

finbar wrote:

Does anyone have the link to the larger JCV file?

Everyone with a 765T has been getting the large file. Just copy it from there to your 885s.

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

Well ONE difference

At least locally...a road that "didn't exist" previously is now there. At least the blue bird seed trail doesn't go into the wilderness anymore.

Thx

Thanks for the heads-up!

GAH!!!

Crap. I forgot that the map update would automagically do a firmware update as well. I wonder what crummy "updated" firmware I'm ending up with. I'll check after the map update is finished.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. I can't believe I forgot about that - again! The last map update did this to me as well and I ended up with a unit that would repeatedly crash after a number of hours of use.

Now I have to look for the roll-back instructions and the previous firmware. I think 4.8 or 4.9 was what I was running. Nice and stable.

Why can't Garmin just leave my firmware alone?

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

Garmin Map Update for Dummies?

I found this site because I am overly frustrated with Garmin over the new map updates that state "too large" requiring me to use a USB memory card. Personally I am probably in the minority here but one of the reasons why I purchased it was ease of use, and not having to have much technical knowledge.

I have a 1450LMT and while I have performed the map update in the past directly to the unit via the Garmin Map Updater installer program, this is the first time that I have had a map update so big that it won't fit on my unit. I don't feel I need to install a USB card, I basically would prefer to erase previous maps if possible. I like things simple, and Garmin is making it difficult to be just that.

Again, compared to many of you here based on your posts, I am in the dark, but I was curious if someone can post, or at least point me in the right direction, on how I can achieve simply downloading map updates which are extra large in size directly to the unit itself without the need of a USB card. I don't keep anything stored on my Garmin, I basically use it to input an address and go, using it both here in the USA and in Canada.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, and my apologies in advance for the ignorance of my questions here.

Welcome to The Factory

kinsella5 wrote:

I found this site because I am overly frustrated with Garmin over the new map updates that state "too large" requiring me to use a USB memory card. Personally I am probably in the minority here but one of the reasons why I purchased it was ease of use, and not having to have much technical knowledge.

I have a 1450LMT and while I have performed the map update in the past directly to the unit via the Garmin Map Updater installer program, this is the first time that I have had a map update so big that it won't fit on my unit. I don't feel I need to install a USB card, I basically would prefer to erase previous maps if possible. I like things simple, and Garmin is making it difficult to be just that.

Again, compared to many of you here based on your posts, I am in the dark, but I was curious if someone can post, or at least point me in the right direction, on how I can achieve simply downloading map updates which are extra large in size directly to the unit itself without the need of a USB card. I don't keep anything stored on my Garmin, I basically use it to input an address and go, using it both here in the USA and in Canada.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, and my apologies in advance for the ignorance of my questions here.

Welcome to The Factory. I definitely subscribe to your "keep it simple" theory when working with my nuvis, whether dealing with map updates, custom POI files, etc.

Your thought of deleting old maps to make room for the new one is already built in to Garmin's update process so this isn't going to help you. (Your nuvi model contains 2GB of internal storage and map files run about 1.7GB, so map updates have to replace the old map with the new one.)

Let us know which of the following sounds good to you and we can proceed.

You are on a good path in thinking of deletions. You can connect your nuvi to a computer and search the nuvi for unneeded files. Deleting never-to-be-used foreign language voice files frees up a lot of room. Ditto to a smaller extent for text and help files, vehicles, etc. Note that it's strongly recommended that you first make a backup of the original nuvi's files to a computer hard disk or recordable DVD before starting to tinker with files internal to the nuvi! Note that even with deleting nuvi files, the current and future map updates are going to stress the available space on the nuvi and at some point, a full North America update will not be possible on your 1450.

Note that you don't need a USB card. What's needed is a SD card. (I expect a micro SD card is needed but this needs to be confirmed). You can go to Wal-Mart or Amazon and buy a SanDisk Class 4 4GB or 8GB card for maybe $5-15, put it in the nuvi, then update your map to the current version installing all of North America. This is slam-dunk easy, and once done, is likely to be a permanent solution for future map updates as well.

Another option (one I'd avoid) is to install less than all of North America when updating your map. If you never plan to visit Canada or Alaska, you could install the map update offering of something like The Lower 48 states. Since you want Canadian maps, this isn't the best solution unless you can find an offered installation option that will fit that has map regions that you know you'll never use.

The final option (not recommended if you're trying to "keep it simple") is to install as much as you can of a map update to the nuvi internally, then put the rest onto the SD card. I mention this only for the sake of completion.

The big issue with your 1450 is that it's a space-limited nuvi model (2GB) unlike many of the newer models that contain 4GB or even 8GB:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

To me, the best solution, if you're willing to spend about $10, is to buy and install a SD card, then do the map update with the map being installed to the card.

Let us know how things go.

YES!

thrak wrote:

Crap. I forgot that the map update would automagically do a firmware update as well. I wonder what crummy "updated" firmware I'm ending up with. I'll check after the map update is finished.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. I can't believe I forgot about that - again! The last map update did this to me as well and I ended up with a unit that would repeatedly crash after a number of hours of use.

Now I have to look for the roll-back instructions and the previous firmware. I think 4.8 or 4.9 was what I was running. Nice and stable.

Why can't Garmin just leave my firmware alone?

Replying to my own post - how odd. smile

I remembered the firmware archive located here:
http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html

How sweet it is. Went back to 4.9 which has always been very stable for me.

It's soooooooooooo nice that this archive is available.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

awesome will start my

awesome will start my download soon!

SD/MicroSD and map updater

kinsella5 wrote:

I found this site because I am overly frustrated with Garmin over the new map updates that state "too large" requiring me to use a USB memory card.

To add to what CraigW said, the map update process will detect the presence of the SD/MicroSD card in the nüvi and combine the card's space with the internal memory space in its calculations. Therefore all you have to do is to put the card in. The map updater will see the space and know that there's enough space for the map.

By the way, you'll want to spend the money on that MicroSD card prior to 2013.30. I have only about 30MB free space left on my 1300 after the update which will not be sufficient for 2013.30.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

My 1045LMT

kinsella5 wrote:

... I have a 1450LMT and while I have performed the map update in the past directly to the unit via the Garmin Map Updater installer program, this is the first time that I have had a map update so big that it won't fit on my unit. I don't feel I need to install a USB card, I basically would prefer to erase previous maps if possible. I like things simple, and Garmin is making it difficult to be just that. ...

I started using a 4GB micro SD card in my 1450 LMT on the 2013.10 map and received the full NA map for this unit. Thr SD card also gave me tons of space for use the full JCV ( links on this site) instead of the reduced jcv file that comes with the update for this unit. Once the map was on the card the following 2013.20 never asked me a thing during the update, it just installed it to the SD card automatically. Well worth a couple of bucks.

BTW, welcome to the site. You'll find lots of info here.

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

Does it start loading into the GPS and finish with the card?

bear007 wrote:
kinsella5 wrote:

... I have a 1450LMT and while I have performed the map update in the past directly to the unit via the Garmin Map Updater installer program, this is the first time that I have had a map update so big that it won't fit on my unit. I don't feel I need to install a USB card, I basically would prefer to erase previous maps if possible. I like things simple, and Garmin is making it difficult to be just that. ...

I started using a 4GB micro SD card in my 1450 LMT on the 2013.10 map and received the full NA map for this unit. Thr SD card also gave me tons of space for use the full JCV ( links on this site) instead of the reduced jcv file that comes with the update for this unit. Once the map was on the card the following 2013.20 never asked me a thing during the update, it just installed it to the SD card automatically. Well worth a couple of bucks.

BTW, welcome to the site. You'll find lots of info here.

Question... When you add a card and download a new map, how much of the map goes into the GPS's memory (until it is full?) before it starts loading into the card's memory? I assume it [somehow] knows to start loading into the GPS and finish what the GPS will not hold into the card. Dunno...do you?

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Full Map goes to the SD card

Once it is determined the SD card is needed and selected for the update the full map goes to the SD card leaving tons of room in the internal memory.

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

don't recall ever being given a choice of where I download map

bear007 wrote:

Once it is determined the SD card is needed ***and selected for the update*** the full map goes to the SD card leaving tons of room in the internal memory.

Never having to 'select' before, how do I select the card when I update. I'm used to just plugging up my GPS with a USB cable to my PC and downloading the map straight to my GPS. Maybe if I added the card in the GPS before I downloaded a new map would have prompted (or triggered) this 'selection' you speak of. Dunno... I don't recall ever being given a choice of where I download the map.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

SD Card

Yes, the SD card has to be installed before you start the update process. Once it is installed, connect to the PC and rename the files as I said in the prior post. MapUpdater will detect that there is not enough room for the new map and find the SD card automatically. It will prompt you to select the card for a full install or a reduced portion of the map for installation into internal memory.

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

Yes but

bear007 wrote:

Yes, the SD card has to be installed before you start the update process. Once it is installed, connect to the PC and rename the files as I said in the prior post. MapUpdater will detect that there is not enough room for the new map and find the SD card automatically. It will prompt you to select the card for a full install or a reduced portion of the map for installation into internal memory.

Yes, but at least for my nuvi 750, I was given the SD or internal (with less than all of North America) choice without a SD card present.

I had expected to be able to install all of North America to the nuvi internally so didn't have a card inserted. I was given the option which of course would require a SD card if I chose SD, so I aborted the map update, installed an empty SD card, then restarted. Given the option, I chose SD and all went well.

I just want it to be clear to folks that at least for some nuvi models, the Updater software will alert users that the full map can only be installed if a SD card is selected--and that this option appears even when no SD card is present.

Map update

Last night I went to do my update and in my maps on Garmin they showed all the versions of maps I have installed on my 2450 in the past and after that it just said download map. Did not say what version. I did it and it turned out to be the correct one.

Before the map update Garmin did a system update.

I have a Nuvi 2450. After the install I did a simulation in my area and I have the lane assist arrows in the upper left corner and I also have junction view.

Before my update I had
3.03 gb used
584mb free

I now have
3.13 gb used
482 mb free

I backed up my Nuvi before starting. The entire process took about 1 1/2 hours.

All is working well.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

thanks

thanks

without going through 200+ posts ....

rthibodaux wrote:

a few days to see if there is any bugs being reported.

I've noticed that the "speed limit" sign in the bottom right corner of mine has a lot of incorrect speed limits now. Mainly the 55mph interstates have dropped to 40mph. I correct them as I see them but they were correct before the latest update, anyone else seeing this?

.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Incorrect speed limit signs...

How do you correct them, please?

--
Ted - Garmin Nuvi 1450 LM

simple

thurst461 wrote:

How do you correct them, please?

Press on the speed limit sign and a window will pop-up allowing you to change, up or down, the limit.

.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

That's

That's how you do it BUT only the newer models have this ability. If thurs1461's profile is correct, he has a 1450 and you can't change the speed limits on that model.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Limit

soberbyker wrote:
thurst461 wrote:

How do you correct them, please?

Press on the speed limit sign and a window will pop-up allowing you to change, up or down, the limit.
.

I am assuming it will only change the speed limit for that particular stretch of highway until the speed limit either goes up or down.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Thanks!

Yeah, the 1450 is my recently acquired replacement for my 780 that died after I looked inside for loose parts. The 780 was intermittent after a drop, and I had successfully replaced the battery in an old iPod. I needed the push to get reliable GPS back into my life.

I'm coming up on three years of lurking in this place. What a great resource you all make it.

--
Ted - Garmin Nuvi 1450 LM

Thanks for the heads up...

Thanks for the heads up... been on a 3 week trip and just got back smile

--
Roleplaying Canuck Gamer with: Nuvi 760 & 2595 LMT (Map Ver.: 2019.30) 2012 RAM 1500 4x4 Big Horn Quad

just installed

yesterday.....seemed quicker than other map updates...

660 Updated

I sucessfully updated my trusty ol' 660 this morning along with BaseCamp on 2 PCs. No problems. grin

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

How could I miss out on this...

Been away for just over a week. This is what I almost missed out. I am catching up now...

Thanks again ...

It is great to catch wind of the updates being available, but even more helpful to hear about the firmware archive!

I hate when things get auto-updated!

CC

Is Garmin sacrificing rural terrain detail for junction view?

Here in the mid Hudson Valley a few minor water features & a few minor roads seem to have disappeared w/this upgrade. Is Garmin sacrificing rural terrain detail for junction view? I'm also getting "traffic reports" where there are no traffic monitors for 10+ miles. (Nor has there ever been, nor will likely be any traffic expect for a momentary stop during "school bus rush hour" or a road construction flagman).

Future Update

I took a trip from Long Island to Newport, RI this past weekend for a wedding. Came to discover that due to major construction at I-95 and I-91 in New Haven, the routing has changed. The work is still not finished but the GPS again had me traveling in open space. Overall the amount of construction I witnessed on various travels this summer has been breathtaking. Just about every major area I have been through is being rebuilt.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

old archive

CookieCutter wrote:

It is great to catch wind of the updates being available, but even more helpful to hear about the firmware archive!

I hate when things get auto-updated!

Just a note about the linked nuvi firmware archive...it's solely for older nuvis that used a self extracting .exe file for firmware updates. If you have a nuvi newer than the 7x0 or 8x5, they now use a WebUpdater/GCD file format to update them so you're out of luck getting past firmware from the archive or even from the Garmin site.

In this case, Googling the newer unit's model number along with "firmware" may find what you seek. But again, it won't be hosted by Garmin's servers.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Garmin Not Responding

Looks like Garmin is having big time issues with customers trying to download Maps/update their SW for at least nuvi2460LMT (my unit).

I cannot update the unit, download map update, or even log onto the website.

The wait time for Live Support as of noon today is 30 minutes plus.

My nuvi2460LMT is currently operational with the previous map release.

I have to wait and try again in a week or so. (Very displeased at this time.)

--
romanviking

Try again

romanviking wrote:

Looks like Garmin is having big time issues with customers trying to download Maps/update their SW for at least nuvi2460LMT (my unit).

I cannot update the unit, download map update, or even log onto the website.

The wait time for Live Support as of noon today is 30 minutes plus.

My nuvi2460LMT is currently operational with the previous map release.

I have to wait and try again in a week or so. (Very displeased at this time.)

I have no problem logging into any of the myGarmin site. Try again.

Garmin is Back

Garmin website downloaded a newer version of Map Update v. 3.1.14 and voila I was then able to download and install the new maps onto my nuvi2460LMT.

I wonder of the servers were overloaded?

Anyway Garmin is back in action.

--
romanviking

760 - no card needed

CraigW wrote:
bear007 wrote:

Yes, the SD card has to be installed before you start the update process. Once it is installed, connect to the PC and rename the files as I said in the prior post. MapUpdater will detect that there is not enough room for the new map and find the SD card automatically. It will prompt you to select the card for a full install or a reduced portion of the map for installation into internal memory.

Yes, but at least for my nuvi 750, I was given the SD or internal (with less than all of North America) choice without a SD card present.

I had expected to be able to install all of North America to the nuvi internally so didn't have a card inserted. I was given the option which of course would require a SD card if I chose SD, so I aborted the map update, installed an empty SD card, then restarted. Given the option, I chose SD and all went well.

I just want it to be clear to folks that at least for some nuvi models, the Updater software will alert users that the full map can only be installed if a SD card is selected--and that this option appears even when no SD card is present.

How odd that you "must" use a card with your 750. Do you still have all the extra (useless) voice files and such on your unit? I have a 760 and, while I do have a card installed for audio books, custom POI files, etc., I don't need to put the maps there. I selected the unit itself for the maps and the entire thing fit just fine. Of course I long ago deleted almost all of the voice files, useless pictures, etc. I really don't need the Chinese, Czech, French, Spanish, German, etc. voice files taking up room.

I'm quite surprised that a 750 can't hold the full map set internally unless it's due to having all of those extra and essentially useless files on the unit.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

Newbie here with 1490lmt

Where can I download it? And, is it free?
Thanks!

My 750

thrak wrote:
CraigW wrote:
bear007 wrote:

Yes, the SD card has to be installed before you start the update process. Once it is installed, connect to the PC and rename the files as I said in the prior post. MapUpdater will detect that there is not enough room for the new map and find the SD card automatically. It will prompt you to select the card for a full install or a reduced portion of the map for installation into internal memory.

Yes, but at least for my nuvi 750, I was given the SD or internal (with less than all of North America) choice without a SD card present.

I had expected to be able to install all of North America to the nuvi internally so didn't have a card inserted. I was given the option which of course would require a SD card if I chose SD, so I aborted the map update, installed an empty SD card, then restarted. Given the option, I chose SD and all went well.

I just want it to be clear to folks that at least for some nuvi models, the Updater software will alert users that the full map can only be installed if a SD card is selected--and that this option appears even when no SD card is present.

How odd that you "must" use a card with your 750. Do you still have all the extra (useless) voice files and such on your unit? I have a 760 and, while I do have a card installed for audio books, custom POI files, etc., I don't need to put the maps there. I selected the unit itself for the maps and the entire thing fit just fine. Of course I long ago deleted almost all of the voice files, useless pictures, etc. I really don't need the Chinese, Czech, French, Spanish, German, etc. voice files taking up room.

I'm quite surprised that a 750 can't hold the full map set internally unless it's due to having all of those extra and essentially useless files on the unit.

I've deleted most of the unneeded voices, etc. but do have some special things going on. My POI file is 20MB, mostly due to the all-USA schools file. I also have a Custom Basemap (the Coconino National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map*) plus the original disabled Garmin basemap internal on the nuvi storage. I have kept seven language files (all the English language ones) and have a custom vehicle loaded.

My guess is that I was very close to being able to install 2013.20 internally but just over the limit. All past map updates (after voice deletions, etc.) were able to be installed internally.

Out of curiosity, with your Custom POIs on the SD, just how much free space is now on your 760? Do you think you'll be able to install a larger map in the next quarter or two internally or will you also need to do a map installation to SD?

* See:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36274

Go to myGarmin

thepolobear wrote:

Where can I download it? And, is it free?
Thanks!

The map update either requires a Lifetime Map subscription or a 1-time free update for new nuvis. Since you say you have a LMT model, you have lifetime maps so your update now (and roughly quarterly into the future) is free.

With your nuvi connected to the computer, log into myGarmin:

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/login.htm

Register your device if you haven't yet. Then go to myDashboard or myMaps and you'll be told there's a new map update for you.

Note that your model is space-limited, so you will likely be given the option:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?...

stating that to install the entire map for North America, you'll need a to install the map to a SD card for use in your nuvi.

You also should look through the faqs and run through some Beginners Exercises noting in particular, the making of a backup of your nuvi:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6654

Great info!

CraigW wrote:
kinsella5 wrote:

I found this site because I am overly frustrated with Garmin over the new map updates that state "too large" requiring me to use a USB memory card. Personally I am probably in the minority here but one of the reasons why I purchased it was ease of use, and not having to have much technical knowledge.

I have a 1450LMT and while I have performed the map update in the past directly to the unit via the Garmin Map Updater installer program, this is the first time that I have had a map update so big that it won't fit on my unit. I don't feel I need to install a USB card, I basically would prefer to erase previous maps if possible. I like things simple, and Garmin is making it difficult to be just that.

Again, compared to many of you here based on your posts, I am in the dark, but I was curious if someone can post, or at least point me in the right direction, on how I can achieve simply downloading map updates which are extra large in size directly to the unit itself without the need of a USB card. I don't keep anything stored on my Garmin, I basically use it to input an address and go, using it both here in the USA and in Canada.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, and my apologies in advance for the ignorance of my questions here.

Welcome to The Factory. I definitely subscribe to your "keep it simple" theory when working with my nuvis, whether dealing with map updates, custom POI files, etc.

Your thought of deleting old maps to make room for the new one is already built in to Garmin's update process so this isn't going to help you. (Your nuvi model contains 2GB of internal storage and map files run about 1.7GB, so map updates have to replace the old map with the new one.)

Let us know which of the following sounds good to you and we can proceed.

You are on a good path in thinking of deletions. You can connect your nuvi to a computer and search the nuvi for unneeded files. Deleting never-to-be-used foreign language voice files frees up a lot of room. Ditto to a smaller extent for text and help files, vehicles, etc. Note that it's strongly recommended that you first make a backup of the original nuvi's files to a computer hard disk or recordable DVD before starting to tinker with files internal to the nuvi! Note that even with deleting nuvi files, the current and future map updates are going to stress the available space on the nuvi and at some point, a full North America update will not be possible on your 1450.

Note that you don't need a USB card. What's needed is a SD card. (I expect a micro SD card is needed but this needs to be confirmed). You can go to Wal-Mart or Amazon and buy a SanDisk Class 4 4GB or 8GB card for maybe $5-15, put it in the nuvi, then update your map to the current version installing all of North America. This is slam-dunk easy, and once done, is likely to be a permanent solution for future map updates as well.

Another option (one I'd avoid) is to install less than all of North America when updating your map. If you never plan to visit Canada or Alaska, you could install the map update offering of something like The Lower 48 states. Since you want Canadian maps, this isn't the best solution unless you can find an offered installation option that will fit that has map regions that you know you'll never use.

The final option (not recommended if you're trying to "keep it simple") is to install as much as you can of a map update to the nuvi internally, then put the rest onto the SD card. I mention this only for the sake of completion.

The big issue with your 1450 is that it's a space-limited nuvi model (2GB) unlike many of the newer models that contain 4GB or even 8GB:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

To me, the best solution, if you're willing to spend about $10, is to buy and install a SD card, then do the map update with the map being installed to the card.

Let us know how things go.

Thanks!

--
Garmin c340, Nuvi 350, Nuvi 765T, Nuvi 2360LMT

Download mine!

Thanks

--
Val - Nuvi 785t and Streetpilot C340

...

350Zee wrote:

Here in the mid Hudson Valley a few minor water features & a few minor roads seem to have disappeared w/this upgrade. Is Garmin sacrificing rural terrain detail for junction view? I'm also getting "traffic reports" where there are no traffic monitors for 10+ miles. (Nor has there ever been, nor will likely be any traffic expect for a momentary stop during "school bus rush hour" or a road construction flagman).

Are the traffic reports connected to a particular stretch of road? Usually it will tell you what the problem is--construction, slow traffic, etc.

Update issue

I installed the new maps to my 1450 but then got out my old Nuvi 200, which I purchased lifetime map updates for, and had a problem. The map updater told me there was only 32mb available on the unit and it could not install the new map. I haven't been able to install a full map on that unit for a while but it's only a backup that we keep around for my daughter to use so I only install our region on to it. This was, however, the first time that it didn't seem to recognize the old map files and that they would be deleted in the update process.

I found an old 2 GB SD card and stuck it in there and installed to that but any idea why it would think there was only 32mb available on there, even there would have been a lot more available if it deleted the current maps?

did you look

jwillum wrote:

I found an old 2 GB SD card and stuck it in there and installed to that but any idea why it would think there was only 32mb available on there, even there would have been a lot more available if it deleted the current maps?

Did you look to see what files were on the unit? There may be a lot of extra files that could be cleaned.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

It's time

to get to updating then.
Thanks

1 2 3 4
<<Page 5>>