Does Red Light POI require subscription

 

I am new to POI's and downloading them to my Rand McNally. Can someone please help me with understanding in very simple terms where I find the POI to allert me to Red Light cameras to download to my GPS? One page I landed on it said something about needing a subscription -- is this true? -- why?

Also, where is the POI for low clearance and RRx's for both Canada and USA with sound alert?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

Other pages

--
PussNBoots49

Camera Files

Most of the files at POI Factory are free, but we do charge for the red light and speed camera files. They provide financial support that keeps the web site running.

If you'd like to participate on the site, your account will automatically gain free access when you have posts in 3 of the last 5 weeks. More details on this page: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/262

The other options are a one month or one year subscription. This will give you immediate access to the camera files: http://www.poi-factory.com/payment/choices

JM

How does the Red Light POI function

Can you be a bit more explicit please about how this POI works? What does it take into account and what sound alerts are included for the RVND 7745.
Thanks

--
PussNBoots49

What's included

PussNBoots wrote:

Can you be a bit more explicit please about how this POI works? What does it take into account and what sound alerts are included for the RVND 7745.
Thanks

If your GPS works like mine then the sound file and icon are not included with the Red Light and Speed Camera files. You can use any audio or icon file you want, as long as your GPS can use them. There are links to alert and icons on the same page as the camera file but you can download them without a subscription.

Good question

Welcome to the POI Factory. I looked into the FAQ for the Red Light Camera files and didn't see anything specific for the Rand McNally models. I'm a Garmin user and so I don't know the answer to the question. Perhaps another RVND user will chime in.

On a Garmin the file is loaded along with any other custom POI files we choose using a Garmin specific application. Once that is done the device automatically sounds an alert as we approach an intersection that has red light cameras. The intersection name is displayed along with the alert. Hopefully the RVND operates the same way. Note: An alert only means there is a camera at that intersection, it may or may not be pointed at your direction of travel. Also if you are on an elevated roadway above that intersection, it will also alert due to the proximity.

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

Donations?

JM wrote:

Most of the files at POI Factory are free, but we do charge for the red light and speed camera files. They provide financial support that keeps the web site running.

If you'd like to participate on the site, your account will automatically gain free access when you have posts in 3 of the last 5 weeks. More details on this page: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/262

The other options are a one month or one year subscription. This will give you immediate access to the camera files: http://www.poi-factory.com/payment/choices

JM

As a user/contributor, I have free access but is there a way to make a donation or is it just easier to purchase a subscription even though one is not required?

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

RVND 7745

PussNBoots wrote:

Can you be a bit more explicit please about how this POI works? What does it take into account and what sound alerts are included for the RVND 7745.
Thanks

You may want to look at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34592

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. MapFactor - Offline Maps & GPS.

.

TXRVer wrote:

As a user/contributor, I have free access but is there a way to make a donation or is it just easier to purchase a subscription even though one is not required?

A subscription is the easiest way.

Since a download button normally shows on the red light camera page when you have free access, you would either need to be logged out or use this link (http://www.poi-factory.com/payment/choices) to reach the subscription page.

Thanks,

Jonathan

So, if you need it right

So, if you need it right away, it does not cost much.

If you can wait a few weeks, participate in the nets to get it for free.

Red Light POI vs Garmin Cyclops - comments?

POI Factory's Red Light costs $20/yr (assuming not a regularly participating member).

Garmin has Cyclops Red Light and Speed Camera that costs $25/yr.

Anyone here know how they compare with each other?

Thanks.

Jeff

pOI factory member participation

The key is getting as current a location list as possible. Many municipalities keep camera locations secret, so someone must actually see each one. Any business such as Garmin will have a long time lag, so the locations in the GPS will never be up-to-date.

The members of POI Factory are all volunteers. There are so many members contributing current info on camera locations installed or removed, that our file has the most current locations possible.

The initial cost is not a factor. Just make any post in these forums once a week and it will soon be free.

How do I know this? I am a POI Factory member who has volunteered to geolocate Red Light and Speed camera locations, and there are many others like me!

dobs108 smile

Two more reasons

dobs108 wrote:

The key is getting as current a location list as possible. Many municipalities keep camera locations secret, so someone must actually see each one. Any business such as Garmin will have a long time lag, so the locations in the GPS will never be up-to-date.

The members of POI Factory are all volunteers. There are so many members contributing current info on camera locations installed or removed, that our file has the most current locations possible.

The initial cost is not a factor. Just make any post in these forums once a week and it will soon be free.

How do I know this? I am a POI Factory member who has volunteered to geolocate Red Light and Speed camera locations, and there are many others like me!

dobs108 smile

There are two more reasons to use The Factory's files rather than cyclops:

1) (Sorta minor) The redlight and speed camera files here at The Factory can have added custom audio alerts and custom icons.

2) Very oddly, many of the newer Garmin On-The-Road GPS models are incompatible with the North America Cyclops file. shock Strange but true:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42906

RLC camera file

POI Factory's Red Light costs $20/yr (assuming not a regularly participating member).

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Well worth the cost ...

The lists are worth it.

POI Loader

Where can I see instructions on how to load the red light cameras onto a Garmin 3597?

POI Loader

polacytu wrote:

Where can I see instructions on how to load the red light cameras onto a Garmin 3597?

Once you've downloaded the POI files you want, you install it/them to your Garmin device with POI Loader software:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=lfiKohFF2UAo3eaO9vHYp6

https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-9...

There should also be FAQs here at The Factory to help you.

Note: you can add custom icons and custom audio alerts for your custom POI files and for doing this, see the FAQs.

Custom pois

polacytu wrote:

Where can I see instructions on how to load the red light cameras onto a Garmin 3597?

See http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25721 . See also http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25730

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. MapFactor - Offline Maps & GPS.