NY to FL roadtrip

 

I need help with mapping and if possible poi's for AMAZING road trip from NY to Orlando to Miami to Keys
Please help

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

look here

There must be a quadzillion poi files on the site. just go thru them and pick out the ones that attract you.

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

east coast trucking

well I make that trip 3 times in 2 weeks, super simple direction I 95 to I 4 to fl turnpike to us 1 to sr A1A

--
David Coppock

views

deltacargoservice wrote:

well I make that trip 3 times in 2 weeks, super simple direction I 95 to I 4 to fl turnpike to us 1 to sr A1A

I heard there's hwy with beautiful views. which one is it?

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

?

adcusnret wrote:

There must be a quadzillion poi files on the site. just go thru them and pick out the ones that attract you.

how do i do that?

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

very simple route :D

I did that route the opposite way, from Tampa FL up to NJ ... except fora few local highways, it's just I-95 LOL ...

the other part, from Orlando down to miami I did other time with a rental car, very boring route with swamps all around you and everybody doing 90+ mph since there is NOTHING around LOL ...

The last part, from Miami down to Key West I did another time (another rental), very annoying due to slow moving traffic and no alternate routes on US-1 LOL ... amazing views though, I agree on that wink

--
Garmin nuvi 2595LMT; Android 5.0 (Samsung GS3)

depending on what you are truly looking for

A lot will depend on where you are starting from, your preferences and the amount of time you want to spend traveling as well as your budget.

For POI files, I would start with:
1. Rest Areas
2. Truck Stops
3. Restaurants
4. Lodging

I would also recommend my Exxon and Mobil gas station files for when you are in cities.

The length of time you have available will dictate which routes you can take. The route will also affect the costs for food, fuel and lodging.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Good restaurant on Marathon Key

feniks wrote:

...The last part, from Miami down to Key West...

If by some chance you happen to be traversing Marathon Key during mealtime, I highly recommend a restaurant called Castaways. It's right on the water and the food is very good. It's a diamond in the rough though: When you leave US 1 to find this place, you go through some pretty dumpy looking streets. But believe your GPS, the destination is worth it.

-81.109714,24.704953,"Castaway Waterfront Restaurant",
"1406 Ocean View Av
Marathon FL 33050
305-743-6247"

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Florida

Charlesd45 has a file of Florida Attractions. http://www.poi-factory.com/node/16697
Google the ones you might like.
A1A along the coast is a good route, stopping at public beaches along the way. We also like traveling down inland Florida on US27 and US41. Near Lake Okeechobee, sugarcane is harvested from late-October through mid-April. Take a pic of the sugarcane train.
When you get to Homestead, Highway 1 is a good choice to Key West. smile wink

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Pois

alofficial wrote:
adcusnret wrote:

There must be a quadzillion poi files on the site. just go thru them and pick out the ones that attract you.

how do i do that?

See http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles/alpha .Start by going down to Florida pois and see what you like.If a Sam's member download the Walmart file.It includes the Sam's club and shows the ones with gas.
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25560

See the file places to visit http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24720. It is broken down by state.

Make sure to download the rest stops http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6643

If you like Cracker Barrel http://www.poi-factory.com/node/17225 .I like to get a room close to them when I stop for the night. Be sure to download any favorite hotel chains you like. http://www.poi-factory.com/taxonomy/term/46. Using the show all pois will give you idea of what is in that area.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I've done it few times, and the region, lots of options

From where in NY are you starting, and how long, or sort of out of the way are you willing to go?

If you are talking NYC, then I-95 is the most direct route, nothing to see, not even much scenery.

How long do you want to take on this trip? How many days?

I-95 north of DC is crowded and industrial, I-95 south of DC is pretty boring.

Is it a one-way trip?

There is plenty to see, just how long do you want to take?

If you are coming out of the NYC area, take I-78 out of NYC to I-81 in PA. I-81 from PA to Chattanooga, TN is much nicer than I-95. I-81 goes through the Appalachian Mountains, very pretty. You can also take the Skyline Drive and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) as an alternate to a long section of I-81, this is beautiful. You can also go through the Great Smoky National Park at the southern end of the BRP. Great Smoky NP and the surrounding area is very nice. I'd recommend a day in the Great Smoky area if that works for you.

Once in the Great Smoky area, head to FL through Georgia.

But give us a little more to consider as far as what you want to see and achieve on this trip and I'm sure we can come up with plenty of ideas and options.

alofficial wrote:

I need help with mapping and if possible poi's for AMAZING road trip from NY to Orlando to Miami to Keys
Please help

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone 12, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

?

I would download the restaurant, gas station, and motel chains I like and look for some of the attraction files. I just have to ask because my curiosity is driving me crazy. aloffical, unless I don't understand your question, you have been a member for 6 years and haven't searched and downloaded POI files?

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

that

Don B wrote:

I would download the restaurant, gas station, and motel chains I like and look for some of the attraction files. I just have to ask because my curiosity is driving me crazy. aloffical, unless I don't understand your question, you have been a member for 6 years and haven't searched and downloaded POI files?

and the model, a StreetPilot C580 shown in his profile doesn't do multi-point routes.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

LOL

Box Car wrote:
Don B wrote:

I would download the restaurant, gas station, and motel chains I like and look for some of the attraction files. I just have to ask because my curiosity is driving me crazy. aloffical, unless I don't understand your question, you have been a member for 6 years and haven't searched and downloaded POI files?

and the model, a StreetPilot C580 shown in his profile doesn't do multi-point routes.

I'm planning to get new one, what's good model to upgrade my c580?

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you

I just wanted to say HUGE THANK YOU to everybody for their help
THANK YOU guys!

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

which model?

You C580 has features not found on current offerings, but then current offerings have features not found on the C580. The best advice is to look at the unit comparisons and decide what features offered you want then search the web for unit reviews. The reviews offered by users will give you a lot more information quickly than asking here for recommendations.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

awesome route! will need to try that one day :D

diesel wrote:

If you are coming out of the NYC area, take I-78 out of NYC to I-81 in PA. I-81 from PA to Chattanooga, TN is much nicer than I-95. I-81 goes through the Appalachian Mountains, very pretty. You can also take the Skyline Drive and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) as an alternate to a long section of I-81, this is beautiful. You can also go through the Great Smoky National Park at the southern end of the BRP. Great Smoky NP and the surrounding area is very nice. I'd recommend a day in the Great Smoky area if that works for you.

Once in the Great Smoky area, head to FL through Georgia.

--
Garmin nuvi 2595LMT; Android 5.0 (Samsung GS3)

As Diesel pointed out....

There are 2 main ways to get to Fla from NY: Fast or scenic. There is a very wide gap between the two. If you have 24 hours and need to get there, then it's I-95 all the way. If you have a week or two one way, then the I-81 suggestion would be ideal. If it's coastal vistas you're looking for, then shoot toward Virginia Beach just after the Delaware Memorial bridge off the New Jersey Turnpike southbound, then the Outer Banks and bushwack from there. You could do all this with the analog GPS (A.K.A. a road atlas wink ), but if you're looking for those hidden gems in the rough (diners, sights, cool places to stop) then a GPS with the right POI files is the definite way to go. Any way you choose to get there, enjoy!

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Been there ...

camerabob wrote:

There are 2 main ways to get to Fla from NY: Fast or scenic. There is a very wide gap between the two. If you have 24 hours and need to get there, then it's I-95 all the way. If you have a week or two one way, then the I-81 suggestion would be ideal. If it's coastal vistas you're looking for, then shoot toward Virginia Beach just after the Delaware Memorial bridge off the New Jersey Turnpike southbound, then the Outer Banks and bushwack from there. You could do all this with the analog GPS (A.K.A. a road atlas wink ), but if you're looking for those hidden gems in the rough (diners, sights, cool places to stop) then a GPS with the right POI files is the definite way to go. Any way you choose to get there, enjoy!

True I-81 is a very nice driving/scenic experience. I have used it on occasion. But I quickly realized that it should be avoided during winter months. While equally beautiful at that time, the risk for icy conditions and poor visibility is very high and as a result I avoid it any time between Nov to end of Apr. Outside of this period, it is a definite must ...

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem quickly resembles a nail. (Maslow's Hammer)