Converting a Garmin .gpi file

 

Is there a way to convert a Garmin .gpi file back to a format that I can compare the data it contains to data from another source? I am thinking a csv file is something I can work with.

Here is a link to the file I wish to convert. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zqe1BG3lbqX2FSc05fOVFmNk0...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Check this thread

--
Garmin Nuvi 2450

gps babel mentioned in that thread is very useful

you can use it to convert to something extra poi editor (very good program by TurboCCC) can use and go from there.

Does not work

I tried both the installed version and the online version of gpsbabel. Both unsuccessful in retrieving the data. There are a lot of parameter options I do not understand that may make a difference. But I strongly suspect because the file is a "Where To" gpi file and gpsbabel is unable to decode.

Any other ideas?

???

Ok - do not understand this but here is what I did.

Ran GPSBabel

In the Input section, I clicked "File" and selected a "Format" of Garmin Points of Interest (.gpi).

I clicked on the "File Name" and navigated to a .gpi file on my computer.

In "Translate Options", I clicked on "More Options" and then checked "Preview in Google Maps" and then clicked "Ok"

In "Output", I checked "File" and chose a "Format" of Comma separated values.

Still in the "Output" section, I entered a file name of gpsbabel.csv after having navigated to a new Folder I named GPSBabel Translations.

Then, at the bottom, I clicked "Ok" and was taken to a Google Maps display that had the entries in the .gpi file that had been created by POI Loader sometime back.

When I "X'ed" out of Google Maps, I found this message in GPSBable's logging area:

Quote:

gpsbabel -w -i garmin_gpi,unique=1 -f C:/User/Garmin/@@poigpi/@Test case sensitive.gpi -o csv -F gpsbabel.csv -o gpx -F C:/Users/John/AppData/Local/Temp/GPSBabel.op3676

Translation successful

I searched in vain for an output file. OK, I thought, maybe I have to close GPSBabel to get it to complete its work. No - that did not work.

After some fooling around and rerunning GPSBabel, I clicked on "File Name" in the output section and was taken to "C:\Program Files (x86)\GPSBabel" in which I found a file named "gpsbabel.csv" - this being the file I thought the software would have created for me in the folder I thought I specified.

Well, it turns out you can right click on this file and get the expected options. Since I have EPE as the default program to "open" .csv files, when I clicked "Open" on the right-click menu, up popped EPE with the entries in the .gpi file. Also, you can select "Copy" from the right-click menu and then paste the file where you thought you were placing it using GPSBabel.

Going round the barn, but I got a translation of a .gpi file

.

billybovine wrote:

I tried both the installed version and the online version of gpsbabel. Both unsuccessful in retrieving the data. There are a lot of parameter options I do not understand that may make a difference. But I strongly suspect because the file is a "Where To" gpi file and gpsbabel is unable to decode.

Any other ideas?

What is this file that you are trying to convert?
Where did it originally come from?

gpi file

billybovine wrote:

I tried both the installed version and the online version of gpsbabel. Both unsuccessful in retrieving the data. There are a lot of parameter options I do not understand that may make a difference. But I strongly suspect because the file is a "Where To" gpi file and gpsbabel is unable to decode.

Any other ideas?

Try this. http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php. scroll down for the conversion you want.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

No go

I tried your procedure for gpsbabel up until I clicked on OK then an error window came up. Tried several different things but with the same result.

File origin.

Motorcycle Mama wrote:
billybovine wrote:

I tried both the installed version and the online version of gpsbabel. Both unsuccessful in retrieving the data. There are a lot of parameter options I do not understand that may make a difference. But I strongly suspect because the file is a "Where To" gpi file and gpsbabel is unable to decode.

Any other ideas?

What is this file that you are trying to convert?
Where did it originally come from?

This file is released by BRP to update Zumo 660 and Zumo 590 Can Am Spyder NA dealer list.

Success

charlesd45 wrote:
billybovine wrote:

I tried both the installed version and the online version of gpsbabel. Both unsuccessful in retrieving the data. There are a lot of parameter options I do not understand that may make a difference. But I strongly suspect because the file is a "Where To" gpi file and gpsbabel is unable to decode.

Any other ideas?

Try this. http://www.gps-data-team.com/convert.php. scroll down for the conversion you want.

Now that worked once I got past that the links are wrong. Clicking on the link convert gpi to csv took me to the csv to ov2 converter page. I found that csv to gpi link worked.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Glad it worked out

Glad it worked out to solve your problem.May want to save the link as a bookmark for future use.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Not Working

charlesd45 wrote:

Glad it worked out to solve your problem.May want to save the link as a bookmark for future use.

Clicking on the link to convert gpi to csv only leads you to the csv to ov2 conversion. It's been that way for so long. I used to use this link, but not anymore. I just tried it again to verify and out of curiosity.

Encrypted?

billybovine wrote:

Is there a way to convert a Garmin .gpi file back to a format that I can compare the data it contains to data from another source? I am thinking a csv file is something I can work with.

Here is a link to the file I wish to convert. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zqe1BG3lbqX2FSc05fOVFmNk0...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

GPSBabel says the file might be encrypted? I tried jgermann's procedure and it works for other gpis, not on the billybovine's gpi. What am I missing?

needs correction

nats50 wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

Glad it worked out to solve your problem.May want to save the link as a bookmark for future use.

Clicking on the link to convert gpi to csv only leads you to the csv to ov2 conversion. It's been that way for so long. I used to use this link, but not anymore. I just tried it again to verify and out of curiosity.

First time I noticed that but never had a need to convert a gpi file. Will see if I can report the problem for a correction since it appears to have been there for some time.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Just a guess.

nats50 wrote:
billybovine wrote:

Is there a way to convert a Garmin .gpi file back to a format that I can compare the data it contains to data from another source? I am thinking a csv file is something I can work with.

Here is a link to the file I wish to convert. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zqe1BG3lbqX2FSc05fOVFmNk0...

Thanks for any help you can give me.

GPSBabel says the file might be encrypted? I tried jgermann's procedure and it works for other gpis, not on the billybovine's gpi. What am I missing?

It may be because the file is not a standard gpi. It is the type that will create a new menu item under the "Where To" menu on the GPS. Out of curiosity I tried decoding a similar gpi file I create using EPE and gpsbabel cannot decode it either.