Available now City Navigator 2013.40 North America

 

City Navigator 2013.40 North America is Available.
Downloading now with Garmin Express, did not see any "Options" before downloading other than just the Download button.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT
1 2 3
<<Page 4

Installed on the 2455

CraigW wrote:
compman72 wrote:

Has anyone put 2013.40 on a Nuvi 2455LMT yet? Will it fit on the unit or will I need to put it on a SD card?

The 2455 should be a 7GB device and there should be no problem installing the new map

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

ITS INSTALLED - It took a little over an hour to download and install on the device. I installed the US and Canada and not the complete North America when going through "My Computer" and looking at the Garmin drive directory. I have used 2.93 GB and have 691 MB free. I have 37,000 POI's loaded and some vehicles and some voices too.

--
Garmin nuvi 2455LMT (wife uses nuvi 255w) (sold C330)

4 GB

CraigW wrote:
compman72 wrote:

Has anyone put 2013.40 on a Nuvi 2455LMT yet? Will it fit on the unit or will I need to put it on a SD card?

The 2455 should be a 7GB device and there should be no problem installing the new map

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

It has a 4 GB of storage in it.

--
Garmin nuvi 2455LMT (wife uses nuvi 255w) (sold C330)

Are you sure?

compman72 wrote:
CraigW wrote:
compman72 wrote:

Has anyone put 2013.40 on a Nuvi 2455LMT yet? Will it fit on the unit or will I need to put it on a SD card?

The 2455 should be a 7GB device and there should be no problem installing the new map

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

It has a 4 GB of storage in it.

The 2450 has 4GB but according to our faq, the 24x5 series should have 7GB.

If it's truly 4 GB, then you should contact bear007, the author of the faq, to correct the faq. But we need to be sure of this first since the faq says the 7GB value came straight from Garmin.

Tried with Garmin Express on my 2555LMT

...at first ...didn`t work. Presumably ìnsufficient space. Tried again with Garmin MapUpdater and it worked fine without a SD card. Even had 690 megs left over.

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem quickly resembles a nail. (Maslow's Hammer)

Same here

I tried the update using Garmin Express and it gave the insufficient space message. Tried it with MapUpdater and it worked fine.
On the down side, it took nearly four hours to complete the install. crying

--
Nuvi2797LMT (2) Nuvi260,Ford Sync3 Navigation. Captain Cook was a Yorkshire man too.

updated for my 2350LMT and

updated for my 2350LMT and it worked fine with GE. I only have 200 ish space left, so we will see with the next update if it has the room. I assume old maps are not removed before installing new ones on these things so I will have to play it by ear when that happens I guess...

--
GARMIN nuvi2350LMT...

Varified 4GB

CraigW wrote:
compman72 wrote:
CraigW wrote:
compman72 wrote:

Has anyone put 2013.40 on a Nuvi 2455LMT yet? Will it fit on the unit or will I need to put it on a SD card?

The 2455 should be a 7GB device and there should be no problem installing the new map

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

It has a 4 GB of storage in it.

The 2450 has 4GB but according to our faq, the 24x5 series should have 7GB.

If it's truly 4 GB, then you should contact bear007, the author of the faq, to correct the faq. But we need to be sure of this first since the faq says the 7GB value came straight from Garmin.

bear007 has already contacted me and I have verified that my unit does indeed have 4 GB - He will be updating the FAQ.

--
Garmin nuvi 2455LMT (wife uses nuvi 255w) (sold C330)

Went Ahead With Map install - Worked

Just used map install. It worked. Download to the PC and then installed to the SD card.

--
Garmin Nuvi650 - Morehead City, NC

Maps not tied to a specific SD card.

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
ChefDon16 wrote:

I was thinking.....I have 3.76 gigs on my device and lifetime installer put the maps and JVC onto my SD couldn't I just move the files from the SD card into the system folder on the device? Shouldn't that work?? There is enough room for the 2.32 gigs of files that the installer put on my SD card.

Shouln't that work??

Please help!

No. If you attempt to install to the MicroSD through either Garmin Express or MapUpdater it locks the maps to the MicroSD card. Attempting to move them to the internal memory results in an error when you attempt to access the map. In your case, you want to try the old school method. Using MapUpdater, install the map to the PC only, then use Garmin MapInstall to actually install the map to your device.

While not absolutely necessary given the amount of space on your internal memory, you might want to pull all the gmapprom.* files off your GPS and store them somewhere on your computer, then run MapUpdater/MapInstall.

I bought an SD card for another reason today. I thought I would try to see if the maps installed on my SD card would be read by my 1490 if I copied them to the new card. Everything works great.

Thanks

Downloading now!

Updated last week. Map

Updated last week. Map seems to be working well. Haven't noticed any changes.

Garmin Lifetime Updater

Garmin Lifetime Updater is still available for download from Garmn website
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminLifetimeUpdaterInstalle...

When installing the new 2013.40 with Garmin Express I had a message "not enough memory". Uninstalled it via Control Panel (it's not visible in Revo Uninstaller) and then installed Garmin Lifetime Updater via the link above.

Works like a charm!

P.S. I don't get it why Garmin would screw up their customers by releasing untested software full of bugs.

.

garmahis wrote:

P.S. I don't get it why Garmin would screw up their customers by releasing untested software full of bugs.

Sadly, they have been doing this for a long time now. When you buy a "new" nuvi, you're basically paying Garmin to become a beta tester. rolleyes

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

...

It was delayed a little this year...

--
Michael (Nuvi 2639LMT)

Thanks!

Updating. Keeping my fingers crossed.

--
nüvi 750 & 760

It was a hard fight, but I think I won

I managed to fit the map update on My Nuvi40 without an SD card. I found a disabled .JCV file in the main memory that was taking up too much space. Even my POI files all fit. Only have 78MB free, but that's enough.

Had problems with the SD card and Garmin Express failing with errors. Once I had room, it worked fine. I had to use GarminmapUpdater to install the map for Basecamp.

Found one

sydric wrote:

Updated last week. Map seems to be working well. Haven't noticed any changes.

I was traveling on I-24 between Chattanooga and Nashville on at the interchange of US72 the TDOT added an exit ramp and what did I see on the new version of maps - the new exit ramp was there! What a surprise to see because it was not there on the 2013.30 version.

--
Garmin nuvi 2455LMT (wife uses nuvi 255w) (sold C330)

Thanks Strephon_Alkhalikoi

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
ChefDon16 wrote:

I was thinking.....I have 3.76 gigs on my device and lifetime installer put the maps and JVC onto my SD couldn't I just move the files from the SD card into the system folder on the device? Shouldn't that work?? There is enough room for the 2.32 gigs of files that the installer put on my SD card.

Shouln't that work??

Please help!

No. If you attempt to install to the MicroSD through either Garmin Express or MapUpdater it locks the maps to the MicroSD card. Attempting to move them to the internal memory results in an error when you attempt to access the map. In your case, you want to try the old school method. Using MapUpdater, install the map to the PC only, then use Garmin MapInstall to actually install the map to your device.

While not absolutely necessary given the amount of space on your internal memory, you might want to pull all the gmapprom.* files off your GPS and store them somewhere on your computer, then run MapUpdater/MapInstall.

Thanks Strephon_Alkhalikoi.....that did the trick!

--
ChefDon

@jjen

jjen wrote:

I bought an SD card for another reason today. I thought I would try to see if the maps installed on my SD card would be read by my 1490 if I copied them to the new card. Everything works great.

Right. Now try reading what I said a second time. The question wasn't about whether the map could be read from the MicroSD card, but whether a map copied from MicroSD card to device would function. I don't believe the map will function if moved from the MicroSD to internal memory, especially given Garmin's disclaimer that the MicroSD card must be in the device in order for the map to be read.

Now, there may be some understandable confusion regarding one thing I said, and that's the point that the maps are locked to the MicroSD card. Pre-compiled maps sold by Garmin are locked to the MicroSD card, but not updates generated through MapUpdater/Garmin Express. Those are still locked to the GPS using the GPS' serial number, however in order for Garmin's disclaimer in MapUpdater to be true, there must be an additional check or routine the firmware conducts to search for the presence of the MicroSD card.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

More than one way to skin a cat

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
jjen wrote:

I bought an SD card for another reason today. I thought I would try to see if the maps installed on my SD card would be read by my 1490 if I copied them to the new card. Everything works great.

Right. Now try reading what I said a second time. The question wasn't about whether the map could be read from the MicroSD card, but whether a map copied from MicroSD card to device would function. I don't believe the map will function if moved from the MicroSD to internal memory, especially given Garmin's disclaimer that the MicroSD card must be in the device in order for the map to be read.

Now, there may be some understandable confusion regarding one thing I said, and that's the point that the maps are locked to the MicroSD card. Pre-compiled maps sold by Garmin are locked to the MicroSD card, but not updates generated through MapUpdater/Garmin Express. Those are still locked to the GPS using the GPS' serial number, however in order for Garmin's disclaimer in MapUpdater to be true, there must be an additional check or routine the firmware conducts to search for the presence of the MicroSD card.

I also used the "clone method" as described on the Factory. Copied the GarminDevice.xml file to a clean SD and ran MapUpdater. Copied the 4 files in the .System folder received from Garmin on the SD to the 1490, and still had a little room left. It runs great without an SD card. Even had a little room left for the few POI's that I use.

On My Mac

It didn't show up at my.garmin.com as available for my 'lifetime' download, but it did after downloading and installing Garmin Express for Mac. That program works well on a Mac.

--
Nuvi 760 (died 6/2013); Forerunner 305 bike/run; Inreach SE; MotionX Drive (iPhone)

Totally confused...

Nuvi 855...
I had the recent version of maps for eastern NA plus Ontario east to the Atlantic. All loaded on the garmin (according to Mapsource). But when I tried GE, it said not enough space. I have GE and Mapsource running, left it while I went out to shovel snow, came back in and it says downloading all of NA. But I don't know if it is d/l-ing to the unit or a combination of the unit and a 4GB card. I'll wait and see.

Could it be that by deleting all but NA-English, deleting all help files and deleting all vehicles except 1-car+1-cycle that I had enough space for the 60 maps +JVC files? Then when the update tried to do a complete install (incl. all of my previously deleted files) that there is not enough space---and it is automatically d/-ing to a combination of Nuvi+ SD card? If this is a correct assumption, I will (again) delete all unnecessary files and load eastern NA to the unit.

By the way, Mapsource says the 60 maps uses 659MB data.

Thoughts?

--
If at first you don't succeed....redefine success

Garmin Express

Garmin Express notified me cause it works in the background. Went out and got my Garmin out of the vehicle, hooked it up to PC and wahla!! NO PROBLEMS!!!

Some thoughts

virtually lost wrote:

Nuvi 855...
I had the recent version of maps for eastern NA plus Ontario east to the Atlantic. All loaded on the garmin (according to Mapsource). But when I tried GE, it said not enough space. I have GE and Mapsource running, left it while I went out to shovel snow, came back in and it says downloading all of NA. But I don't know if it is d/l-ing to the unit or a combination of the unit and a 4GB card. I'll wait and see.

Could it be that by deleting all but NA-English, deleting all help files and deleting all vehicles except 1-car+1-cycle that I had enough space for the 60 maps +JVC files? Then when the update tried to do a complete install (incl. all of my previously deleted files) that there is not enough space---and it is automatically d/-ing to a combination of Nuvi+ SD card? If this is a correct assumption, I will (again) delete all unnecessary files and load eastern NA to the unit.

By the way, Mapsource says the 60 maps uses 659MB data.

Thoughts?

First, using Mapsource to install maps from your computer to your nuvi 855 will result in an installation without the jcv file and without the ASR files (voice recognition), so it's not the best option around.

I believe you've had a similar issue with a previous map update, but know that it is possible with the current (and past City Navigator) map updates to install all of North America to a nuvi 855 unless you've loaded the nuvi with lots more extraneous files. You may benefit from previous discussions you've had in this forum:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/37768

I also have a 855 and this is what I did this time (and for past updates) and it's possible to get everything including all of North America. Before attempting anything that removes files from your nuvi, you really want to have a full computer backup of your current nuvi:

-I removed all voices other than the six English language files. There are other files that can be removed but the biggest bang for the buck comes from voice files.

-Second, look back in this thread for the link to download the MapUpdater file and use it to update your 855 to the current 2013.40 map.

-Third, the 855 receives by default a very small jcv file. If you install a SD card, you can download and install and use the large (750MB-ish) jcv file for more and better quality Junction Views.*

-I haven't tried it, but I expect that alandb's new "clone" procedure can be used to install all of North America to a SD card for use on your 855:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

* See: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34056, especially the reply titled "In a nutshell (OK, a large nutshell)"

.

it made me load it to sd card

--
nuvi 2757LM-65LM-65LM

PS

virtually lost wrote:

Nuvi 855... ... But I don't know if it is d/l-ing to the unit or a combination of the unit and a 4GB card. I'll wait and see....

PS--None of Garmin's map update procedures will load any or all of a City Navigator map update to a SD card in a nuvi 855 since the nuvi 8x5 series is not listed on the auto-SD install faq from Garmin:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?...

Missing The Point

jjen wrote:

I also used the "clone method" as described on the Factory. Copied the GarminDevice.xml file to a clean SD and ran MapUpdater. Copied the 4 files in the .System folder received from Garmin on the SD to the 1490, and still had a little room left. It runs great without an SD card. Even had a little room left for the few POI's that I use.

You missed the entire point of my original post. The fact you and I know of ways around the core issue does not negate the presence of that issue for Joe Average who doesn't know any better.

ChefDon resolved his issue using nothing more than the tools Garmin provides. Thus any further discussion is akin to beating a dead horse. Last word is yours, as I have better things to do than waste time repeating myself.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Nothing but a strange experience...

I attempted to use Garmin Lifetime Map Updater last night to get the newest maps and hopefully the large JCV. When I ran Lifetime Map Updater all it could do was offer up 2013.3 sad I ended up downloading Garmin Express and it offered 2013.4 and I proceeded. Everything appeared to go well, it never asked me about where to install new maps, etc. However, I checked this morning and my JCV file is only 25,137 KB in size sad I do have 2013.4 installed on the device smile

I'm downloading the normal file from Garmin as I type this...

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

CNNANT2013.40

I finally got it installed on my 885t, but after several tries and several hours using Garmin Express, I ended up having to use MapUpdater.

GE would act like it was going thru the update process, although horribly slow, and after an hour and one half, it would just freeze and give an error messaeg that it could no lonegr communicate with the server.

MapUpdater did the update in about 45 minutes.

.

pratzert wrote:

I ended up having to use MapUpdater.

GE would act like it was going thru the update process, although horribly slow, and after an hour and one half, it would just freeze and give an error messaeg that it could no lonegr communicate with the server.

Very odd...I had the exact opposite happen.

Using MapUpdater on the Mac, my download speed started fast. Then after an hour or so, it got very spiky, slowed to a crawl and eventually would stop (I tried multiple times). I was monitoring the data throughput with the system monitoring tool on the Mac. I even tried bypassing the router with a wired connection going straight into the modem from the Mac and tried at different times of the day and night as well with the same result. Very slow and spiky throughput after an initial fast start. I managed to get one unit updated (3490) since I left it running overnight.

I then gave in and tried GarminExpress, pretty much immediately after aborting one of the MapUpdater tries. There were no pauses in throughput, no speed drops, no spikes up/down...just a nice fast download and had zero issues. It also saved the installation files since after successfully updating my 3790, I updated my 765 and only had to download two additional files...I believe one was the ~750MB Junction View file that neither the 3490 nor 3790 get installed.

So for me personally, MapUpdater was a fail and GarminExpress worked flawlessly. confused

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Slow Garmin Express and lost connection

Have 2555LMT. Agree Garmin Express appears to be looking forever for updates (yet there is no internet activity happening). I believe it must be waiting in cue to verify the units identity and current products installed.

Once it indicated that I needed to update my maps, the download took only 40 minutes but the install process took almost as long.

I found the same error "unable to communicate with the server" pop up a few times during the install process but found all I needed to do was open up Outlook Express (I'm still using XP) connecting to my mail and the warning disappeared a few seconds later. Worked each time.

Not the 360?

uber360 wrote:

I attempted to use Garmin Lifetime Map Updater last night to get the newest maps and hopefully the large JCV. When I ran Lifetime Map Updater all it could do was offer up 2013.3 sad I ended up downloading Garmin Express and it offered 2013.4 and I proceeded. Everything appeared to go well, it never asked me about where to install new maps, etc. However, I checked this morning and my JCV file is only 25,137 KB in size sad I do have 2013.4 installed on the device smile

I'm downloading the normal file from Garmin as I type this...

Well, you can't be referring to your nuvi 360 stated in your user account since that doesn't use jcv files. A 25MB jcv file sounds like you may be updating a nuvi 8x5 or some such older model with jcv. Does your model use full-screen or split-screen jcv? If full-screen, you can download and copy the large 750-ishMB jcv file and use it in place of the 25MB file, either on the nuvi or on a SD card.

Is this update for the 1450? If so, and if the 1450 uses full-screen Junction Views, you'll be good to go with the manually downloaded large jcv file. This will most likely be a process you'll need to repeat with each map update in the future.

Craig,

yes, I was attempting to update the 1450LMT. All is well now. Garmin Express got the job done.

Thanks for your tip...I'll make it a point to remember that at next update.

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

Great

uber360 wrote:

yes, I was attempting to update the 1450LMT. All is well now. Garmin Express got the job done.

Thanks for your tip...I'll make it a point to remember that at next update.

That's great to hear you have 2013.40 on your nuvi now.

Your 1450 like my 855 can greatly benefit by substituting the large 750-ish MB JCV over the tiny one you received during the update by default. The large JCV will require installing to a SD card however--and will require a manual download and copy of the jcv file with each map update performed.

Garmin 2350

Insufficient space on my Nuvi 2350 so had to download to my SD card.

--
Dudlee

One change for me in this

One change for me in this version is I get "occassional" speed indicators (on the same friggin street). On/Off/On/Off as I drive the 10 km length...oy vay!

Thanks! Any issues?

Thanks! Any issues?

Pretty quick

Finally updated my NUVI 260 to 2013.4 - did my 1490 weeks ago ! Was buried in my trunk so didn't get to it !
The update, Lower 48 & Canada took only 58 minutes using Garmin Express - no complaints there !

Working fine !

--
MrKenFL- "Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." NUVI 260, Nuvi 1490LMT & Nuvi 2595LMT all with 2014.4 maps !

Finally called...

Garmin and found out my froblem...KASPERSKY, the roadblock! After halting that, the 9 that I had to update went well!!! I really don't care how long it takes, as I just leave and do something else, mostly go to bed, and in the morn, et voila! it's done...Happy camper here.

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

Time to get it

Time to get it smile

Time...

I don't know if it's time to get it yet, I'm still waiting. For some reason, I have an uneasy feeling about this one.

--
KD5XB in DM84

Took a couple of tries

I uploaded the latest file on 3-18-13 and I have to upload it a couple of time before the files were complete. Maybe I had a slow connection.

--
Retired Street Pilot C550, Garmin Drive 50 USA+CAN LMT 5, I phone 8Plus.

Successfully installed 2013.40 version & more on Garmin 1450LMT

I was concerned about installation when heard about 2013.40 version of maps. However, after reading other people posts I gave it a shot. I made backup of all files and then I deleted all files from 2GB miro sd card. After I downloaded new Garmin Express and ran it, I got a screens which allowed me to select updates and location where to install it. I selected micro sd card to install maps on. Also, another screen had options to upgrade to 2013.40 maps, new version of traffic notifications and some other updates which did not look important. I selected all options and proceeded with updates. 2 hours later all updates were successfully applied. Btw, previous version of maps which resided on Garmin itself (not on micro sd) are removed automatically during upgrade. Also, a few custom routes that were on Gamin remained intact after upgrade.
Hopefully this information helps to lift your uneasy filling about upgrading to new version.

So far so good with my 1450.

So far so good with my 1450. Thanks for all the info

Available now City Navigator 2013.40 North America

Can anyone give the date it came out?

See first post

triliby wrote:

Can anyone give the date it came out?

2/13

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

2013.40 City Navigator NT North America

2/21/2013

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Seems ok

Used the new map this past weekend and everything worked for me. So I'm happy for now.

--
Nuvi 50LM Nuvi 2555LM

OOPS TYPO

spokybob wrote:
triliby wrote:

Can anyone give the date it came out?

2/13

Darn fingers. 2/21/2013

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Many nice items finally

Many nice items finally appeared that have been missing, yes!!!

1 2 3
<<Page 4