Help with Editing a CSV file with Excel

 

I am editing a CSV file using excel and would like to know if there is a way to find duplications for a certin field?

Lets say I am looking for Duplation phone numbers and yes, I have a field for it. I know that I can sort it and then look at hem but I am sure there is a way to find the dups automatilly. to many numbers to view by hand.

Thanks in advance!

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

sorting XL files

Bob

What I would try is this:

1. Sort on the column on interest
2. Then under Data>Filter>Advanced, choose "filter the list in place" and select "unique records only"

This will form a list with the duplicates hidden - you could make note of the "missing" rows and delete them from the original file.

Hope this helps.

George

.

gcurran wrote:

Bob

What I would try is this:

1. Sort on the column on interest
2. Then under Data>Filter>Advanced, choose "filter the list in place" and select "unique records only"

This will form a list with the duplicates hidden - you could make note of the "missing" rows and delete them from the original file.

Hope this helps.

George

Thanks for the tip

ASAP

You may find this add on for excel will come in handy for future projects. http://www.asap-utilities.com/download-asap-utilities.php. You can color code all duplicates and delete them. Free for home use.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

May be what i need...

charlesd45 wrote:

You may find this add on for excel will come in handy for future projects. http://www.asap-utilities.com/download-asap-utilities.php. You can color code all duplicates and delete them. Free for home use.

This is what I could use.. I just hope it works for my purpose.

I am tring to get rid of some of my Dups in my poi files and do use Extra Poi Editor (EPE) but sometimes really do not find true duplications.. I am finding that the Addresses can be same but a differnt Name, or I am finding that phone numbers can be same but diffrent address. I need to id these and search to find true location before removing.

Edit: I am also trying CSVEdit which is a free editor with some of these features but are hard to fig out.. it wanted to delete 7000+ record in my testing which NON of them were dups..

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

ASAP

Highlight the columns you want to search and select range under ASAP Utilities. Go down to 18.Count and or/color duplicates in selection that will do it.It will prompt you for a color to highlight them.

To get all the highlighted ones together go back to range and number 2 and select advance sorting. Where you see value use drop down window and change to cell color for the columns you are sorting. Then do the advance sorting. You will see all kind of selections for deleting etc.

A nice program to use for projects.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Use Excel Remove Duplicates function

If you have Excel 2007 or newer, simply use Data, Remove Duplicates. Specify which column(s) that must match to be considered a duplicate row.

--
DriveAssist 50 (stolen), Nüvi 2595LMT

THank you very much...

Using ASAP was a big help.. I found Errors and more dups for my offbeat files than I thought I had. Got them cleaned up and now adding aboput 200+ more places that I found.

Using ASAP was a great help and thanks for giving me that infomation.

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

ASAP

bobkz wrote:

Using ASAP was a big help.. I found Errors and more dups for my offbeat files than I thought I had. Got them cleaned up and now adding aboput 200+ more places that I found.

Using ASAP was a great help and thanks for giving me that infomation.

Glad it worked out. It is a handy program. Lots of features once you search around on the tabs.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.