new & interesting places for your GPS

Icons on 1450

 

I have successfully uploaded several POI files to my Garmin Nuvi 1450 but the Icon .bmp files from POI-Factory do not show up on it. I have ensured the names are the same and they are in the same folder prior to upload. Other (non-custom) icons show up normally. What am I missing?

--
Chuck in Houston Garmin 1450

the best way

The best way to insure the icons will display is to set an alert distance for them. This usually means you have to load them in Manual for CSV files or set the distance variable in GPX files and specify the distance. The digit ONE in the distance field is enough to trigger the display.

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

.

Welcome to the POI Factory Chuck. Could you give us the names of a coupled of the files/icons you;re having trouble with?

If you haven't seen it, here's the FAQ for loading custom POIs
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25721

--
Nüvi 2595LMT, nüvi 760, TomTom START 45M, Galaxy Nexus

Double Extensions?

calliedo wrote:

I have successfully uploaded several POI files to my Garmin Nuvi 1450 but the Icon .bmp files from POI-Factory do not show up on it. I have ensured the names are the same and they are in the same folder prior to upload. Other (non-custom) icons show up normally. What am I missing?

Many times we find the "double extensions" is the problem because of settings on the PC. To make sure that is not the problem, read
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/30393

POI Icons Displaying 1450

Thanks to those of you who responded. I am ok on the extensions but had not set any alerts. I have now done that and re-uploaded. Will try things out tomorrow. Here is a partial list of what I have uploaded.:Costco, Discount Tire, Kroger. Each with three files with .csv .BMP and .mp3 extensions.

--
Chuck in Houston Garmin 1450

You need wav

calliedo wrote:

Thanks to those of you who responded. I am ok on the extensions but had not set any alerts. I have now done that and re-uploaded. Will try things out tomorrow. Here is a partial list of what I have uploaded.:Costco, Discount Tire, Kroger. Each with three files with .csv .BMP and .mp3 extensions.

calliedo, your nuvi 1450 can't play mp3 files. You will need to use wav files instead and have sox.exe installed on your PC:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25730

If instead of a PC, you use a Mac, then I believe you don't need the sox.

Good luck!

PS--Unless you really want an audio alert each time you're near a Discount Tire, etc., you may want to reconsider alerts for these sorts of POI locations. Audio alerts are useful, however, with things like the RestAreasCombined file, School zones, redlight and speed cameras, etc.

POI Icons Displaying 1450

Very helpful input.. thanks. I see now that the icons are displaying.. it's just that I have to be zoomed SO MUCH before they do. Whereas the Favorites Icons show up on wider scale settings. I like to be able to see rest areas ahead quite far in advance, with out having to actually search for them. The same for grocery stores.. give us a chance to consider if we want to stop.

Thanks again..

--
Chuck in Houston Garmin 1450

Rest Areas

calliedo wrote:

... I like to be able to see rest areas ahead quite far in advance, with out having to actually search for them...

Yup, I have an alert set for Rest Areas at 15,000 feet, roughly three miles. That gives me an audio and text box alert a couple miles before the first blue highway sign appears.

We can thank MrKenFL for this POI file. Rather than simply IDing the rest area proper, he has gone and set the "location" to be the actual exit ramp from the highway to the area. That lets us know best when to exit AND it guarantees that when alerts are set, they will alert you with the audio and visual screen box with further info. If POI locations were set to the actual buildings, many alerts will not occur. It depends on how far the buildings are set back from the roadway.

Now we only need to hope that when a Rest Area is really needed, the visual doesn't say "TEMP CLOSURE."

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 25 users and 59 guests online.

Online users

  • spider_elliott
  • John Coffield
  • gjacobs42
  • gwilson483
  • warrened1
  • diesel
  • jjen
  • rookie8155
  • Norwood
  • dave520