No new garmins?

 

Halfway through 2018 and still no word about any new automotive units. I think we're still at the 51/61. Are we just going to skip a year? I thought someone said at CES that we were looking at 3-6 months?

1 2 3
<<Page 4

What is the point ?

Why waiting for new Garmin GPS, after a few months they will be discontinued like they have done with other unit.
I have no idea the way of Garmin is doing business ,one thing is for sure it is depressing knowing that the new recently released Garmin, that you just purchase will be put to rest real soon.

Really?

I can't recall a Garmin unit being discontinued a few months after its release?

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

why are so surprise

Why are you so surprise Sussamb ,hey they are 12 months in a Year I am sure you know that.
And some Garmin unit they do not even last that long before they are discontinued..

Well ...

You said a few months ... 12 isn't a few wink

Lots of electronics are on yearly cycles ...look at how quickly new phones are released smile

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Adding to what sussamb said ...

Just because a new model is introduced a year or less after the previous model was released, it doesn't mean the older model is "discontinued" from a support perspective. Garmin actually has a pretty good reputation for supporting very old devices with technical support, software and map updates for many years. That said, I have recently read some unsettling and disappointing posts about Garmin support being on the decline.

One recent model that had a very short life before being discontinued was the top-of-the-line DriveLuxe 51. And that model was discontinued with no replacement in sight or even expected. I'm afraid that situation sadly reflects the future of the dedicated automotive GPS device.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Interesting..

Everyone is always waiting for the latest and innovative cellphone, when will the latest GPS unit hit the market?

That would be like waiting for the latest and innovative...

allbizz wrote:

Everyone is always waiting for the latest and innovative cellphone, when will the latest GPS unit hit the market?

That would be like waiting for the latest and innovative phone booth or typewriter!

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

New GPS

I don't think anybody has mentioed this befreo: there are NO GPS units in any of our local BestBuy!

BestBuy

dougcutler wrote:

I don't think anybody has mentioed this befreo: there are NO GPS units in any of our local BestBuy!

I just checked my local BestBuy, and they currently have 5 different Garmin Automotive models in stock. That is more than they had last time I visited the store … probably added some for the holiday season.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

I haven't seen any GPS units in stores for awhile either

Maybe I don't go to best buy enough...

GP YASS!

Maybe Garmin can produce the GP YASS model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmkPpA2RT-Y

As previously stated and as

As previously stated and as others have said, I think mobile phones are going to limit Garnin auto GPS sales.

costco

ive seen one unit displayed in a glass case at Costco the problem being a cell phone is for all intent and purpose a mini computer you can play games on it watch a movie on it you can listen to music order pizza on it get a hotel on it use it as a gps and even use it as a phone , stand alone GPS has a hard time surviving against that . and every year cell phones get more powerful have more uses, they used to sell loads of desktop computers , not any more there laptops and pads now with more features, I was born in an age with glass tube radio's and 7 inch round screen in black and white dial up party line phones . I feel comfortable using a Garmin GPS but I know the party has to end sometime

Costco

Noticed recently my local Costco doesn't carry automotive GPS units any more. sad Bought my last three Garmin units from there.

Times are a changing.

Costco.ca

bennor3814 wrote:

Noticed recently my local Costco doesn't carry automotive GPS units any more. sad Bought my last three Garmin units from there.

Times are a changing.

There’s like 14 different ones listed on the Costco.ca website. The store near us has a Garmin Drive 51LMT-S in stock.

A phone is a terrible way to

A phone is a terrible way to do GPS navigation imo.

Seems every time I'm approaching a critical exit or nav point, the phone will ring (some telemarketer etc) and my screen will leave the navigation and I miss the exit or turn.

Also, every phone (LG, Samsung etc) has never been reliable enough. Because they are combined GPS receives and telecommunications devices etc, they tend to be prone to faults that require rebooting the device.

Or some unwanted notice or advertising pop up occurs. Grrrr.

Usually just when you need the navigation the most. No thanks.
If Garmin gives up on the navigation device bizz it'll be a sad day for all. Big step backwards.

Costco doesn't want it...and customers don't either.

jackrabbit000 wrote:
bennor3814 wrote:

Noticed recently my local Costco doesn't carry automotive GPS units any more. sad Bought my last three Garmin units from there.

Times are a changing.

There’s like 14 different ones listed on the Costco.ca website. The store near us has a Garmin Drive 51LMT-S in stock.

Your local Costco store will probably drop the price on that GPS so they can get rid of it. Costco doesn't want it...and customers don't either.

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

I Agree

mistypotato wrote:

A phone is a terrible way to do GPS navigation imo.

Seems every time I'm approaching a critical exit or nav point, the phone will ring (some telemarketer etc) and my screen will leave the navigation and I miss the exit or turn.

Also, every phone (LG, Samsung etc) has never been reliable enough. Because they are combined GPS receives and telecommunications devices etc, they tend to be prone to faults that require rebooting the device.

Or some unwanted notice or advertising pop up occurs. Grrrr.

Usually just when you need the navigation the most. No thanks.
If Garmin gives up on the navigation device bizz it'll be a sad day for all. Big step backwards.

Got a new 2018 car recently, and tried the Android Play that connects the phone so you can have Google navigation. Went on a 600 trip a couple of weeks ago and had the Drive 51 alongside the car's screen. I found the Google thing totally annoying and useless compared to the Garmin. I deleted the Android Play app and won't be using that again. And to top it off in W. Virginia, there were spots where cell reception was very low and Google Maps just stopped. This is not ready for Prime Time.

I'll stick with the Garmin as long as possible. Even if they stop updating the maps in the next couple of years the unit will still out perform a cell phone.

I think most of those who think a cell phone doing their navagation are mainly locals and don't go on trips very often out past the utban areas.

So they can rave about a cell phone as "one stop solutions" for all things, but I know it doesn't work for my needs.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

I got two new Hondas this

I got two new Hondas this year and they finally have Garmin based GPS navigation systems. Woo hoo! So nice and very helpful and reliable! A+

I'm afraid the writing is on

I'm afraid the writing is on the wall.

--
an94

It's not in my experience

mistypotato wrote:

A phone is a terrible way to do GPS navigation imo.

It is your opinion, but not one I share, as that hasn't happened in my experience. It may be a function of the version of Android you are running, or there may be other idiosyncrasies that the phone manufacturer introduced. However, I've never lost navigation while taking a call.

My setup in my 2006 Elantra (bought used) is my Pixel 2 XL, sitting in a phone mount that sits in my CD player. The CD player is a slot mount and has never worked, so a slot mounted phone mount was a perfect choice. To transmit sound from the P2XL to radio - which does work - I have a bluetooth transmitter that overrides radio signals on a frequency of my choice.

With navigation up and running I can either tap on the transmitter's button to answer the call, or tap on the screen itself. In either case the device continues to navigate, though until the call is completed it won't provide audio direction. In fact, with my device I can have not only navigation up and running but at the same time can have Pandora or my personal music collection playing. Navigation in both cases will temporarily mute the music to announce a turn.

Now as for advertising pop ups I don't get those, but I also root my device and install a hosts file. There are ad blockers for Android which do not require root, mainly requiring you set up a VPN on the device.

I know you see the loss of the dedicated GPS as a step back based upon your experience with smartphone navigation, but the entire reason we don't see new automotive GPS devices is exactly because Garmin foresaw the rise of the smartphone. Two years ago on Quora, the following question was asked: will Garmin go out of business? A former Garmin employee replied in the negative, explaining how Garmin is diversifying into other areas.[1]

Here's some numbers which should put the whole thing in perspective. In the 2014 fiscal year Garmin's auto GPS revenue declined to 43%.[1] In 2016 that number dropped to 29%. In 2017 that number was 24%. A nearly 20% drop in revenue in the space of four years, and a projected 15% drop year over year in revenue should make it abundantly clear why we are not seeing new automotive GPS receivers.[2] For Garmin, their profit makers are outdoor products, marine products, and aviation products. Those areas are very profitable for Garmin, with year over year increases projected at 28%, 13%, and 14% respectively. Automotive GPS is simply no longer profitable for Garmin, and it would be foolish of them to throw any of their R&D funds at a declining technology.

[1]Quora: Will Garmin Go Out of Business?
[2]Garmin 2017 Annual Report

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

There will be people here that won't believe those facts...

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

I know you see the loss of the dedicated GPS as a step back based upon your experience with smartphone navigation, but the entire reason we don't see new automotive GPS devices is exactly because Garmin foresaw the rise of the smartphone. Two years ago on Quora, the following question was asked: will Garmin go out of business? A former Garmin employee replied in the negative, explaining how Garmin is diversifying into other areas.[1]

Here's some numbers which should put the whole thing in perspective. In the 2014 fiscal year Garmin's auto GPS revenue declined to 43%.[1] In 2016 that number dropped to 29%. In 2017 that number was 24%. A nearly 20% drop in revenue in the space of four years, and a projected 15% drop year over year in revenue should make it abundantly clear why we are not seeing new automotive GPS receivers.[2] For Garmin, their profit makers are outdoor products, marine products, and aviation products. Those areas are very profitable for Garmin, with year over year increases projected at 28%, 13%, and 14% respectively. Automotive GPS is simply no longer profitable for Garmin, and it would be foolish of them to throw any of their R&D funds at a declining technology.

[1]Quora: Will Garmin Go Out of Business?
[2]Garmin 2017 Annual Report

There will be people here that won't believe those facts...

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

Agree- Google is no replaement for Garmin

KenSny wrote:
mistypotato wrote:

A phone is a terrible way to do GPS navigation imo.

Seems every time I'm approaching a critical exit or nav point, the phone will ring (some telemarketer etc) and my screen will leave the navigation and I miss the exit or turn.

Also, every phone (LG, Samsung etc) has never been reliable enough. Because they are combined GPS receives and telecommunications devices etc, they tend to be prone to faults that require rebooting the device.

Or some unwanted notice or advertising pop up occurs. Grrrr.

Usually just when you need the navigation the most. No thanks.
If Garmin gives up on the navigation device bizz it'll be a sad day for all. Big step backwards.

Got a new 2018 car recently, and tried the Android Play that connects the phone so you can have Google navigation. Went on a 600 trip a couple of weeks ago and had the Drive 51 alongside the car's screen. I found the Google thing totally annoying and useless compared to the Garmin. I deleted the Android Play app and won't be using that again. And to top it off in W. Virginia, there were spots where cell reception was very low and Google Maps just stopped. This is not ready for Prime Time.

I'll stick with the Garmin as long as possible. Even if they stop updating the maps in the next couple of years the unit will still out perform a cell phone.

I think most of those who think a cell phone doing their navagation are mainly locals and don't go on trips very often out past the utban areas.

So they can rave about a cell phone as "one stop solutions" for all things, but I know it doesn't work for my needs.

EXACTLY my experience.
Google IS NOT a replacement for a good Garmin unit. PERIOD.

Agree- Google is no replaement for Garmin

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
mistypotato wrote:

A phone is a terrible way to do GPS navigation imo.

It is your opinion, but not one I share, as that hasn't happened in my experience. It may be a function of the version of Android you are running, or there may be other idiosyncrasies that the phone manufacturer introduced. However, I've never lost navigation while taking a call.

Can you upload POI files ?

I find Google Maps and Google Navigation to be annoying at best.
Good for you if you find it works for you.

Maybe tomTom or some other company will step in to lead the market niche Garmin vacates? Still would have to be far better than Android / iPhone and G-maps imo

Called Garmin - There is no plan to discontinue Auto GPS

Great News !!

I just called Garmin and they assured me that there is no corporate plan to discontinue Garmin automotive GPS devices and no plans to discontinue Map Updates.

While they do acknowledge that the automotive GPS market has contracted significantly, they are thriving in many other product lines and do not need to discontinue the Automotive GPS line.

WOO HOO !!!!!

Yep

koot wrote:

There will be people here that won't believe those facts...

They can wallow in denial then. The facts speak for themselves.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

There are many people here that are in denial...

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
koot wrote:

There will be people here that won't believe those facts...

They can wallow in denial then. The facts speak for themselves.

There are many people here that are in denial...

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

mistypotato mistypotato quite contrary

koot wrote:

There are many people here that are in denial...

I know. Just look below.

mistypotato wrote:

Can you upload POI files?

Yes I can. I have an old version of my Historic Vessels POI on Google Maps and the locations closest to me can be accessed through the custom maps option in Google Maps. It's not all that convenient, but for most navigation, having POIs isn't essential.

Here's an example. About a month ago I had to take my car for service to a friend's house in the back woods of New Hampshire. I needed to find the nearest Dunkin' Donuts because I almost forgot the coffee and donuts I promised to my friend and his dad. With the Garmin, I would have to stop the car, stop the route, search the POI database, let the GPS make the route, and then navigate there. With my smartphone?

"Hey Google! Route me to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts". No stopping the car or the route required. So, on the fly, not only did I get the donuts, I had Google backtrack to the friend's house, which it accomplished without any difficulty at all.

If POIs are that important, buy CoPilot GPS, as I believe you can load POIs into it. Or you can continue using outdated technology until it falls apart. It's your choice, but don't be surprised when you get left behind.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Well ok, but Google is watching and recording

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
koot wrote:

There are many people here that are in denial...

I know. Just look below.

mistypotato wrote:

Can you upload POI files?

Yes I can. I have an old version of my Historic Vessels POI on Google Maps and the locations closest to me can be accessed through the custom maps option in Google Maps. It's not all that convenient, but for most navigation, having POIs isn't essential.

Here's an example. About a month ago I had to take my car for service to a friend's house in the back woods of New Hampshire. I needed to find the nearest Dunkin' Donuts because I almost forgot the coffee and donuts I promised to my friend and his dad. With the Garmin, I would have to stop the car, stop the route, search the POI database, let the GPS make the route, and then navigate there. With my smartphone?

"Hey Google! Route me to the nearest Dunkin' Donuts". No stopping the car or the route required. So, on the fly, not only did I get the donuts, I had Google backtrack to the friend's house, which it accomplished without any difficulty at all.

If POIs are that important, buy CoPilot GPS, as I believe you can load POIs into it. Or you can continue using outdated technology until it falls apart. It's your choice, but don't be surprised when you get left behind.

As I said, I'm not interested in Google products. Their policy of rampant invasion of privacy is a turn off for me. YMMV.
I don't even use Google....I use DuckDuckGo.
The ONLY Google product I do have is an android phone but it's rooted and cleaned up to help preserve privacy. I would go iPhone but I heard it's just as bad.

POI's actually aren't that big a deal to me. It's just that I use them now and then and this site is POI-Factory.

For ME, the Garmin just provides a superior navigation experience. For you, Google does. No problem. I never have to worry about broken android updates or malware etc. Just great navigation with the usual occasional map hiccup that you also experience because NO MAPS are perfect.

Besides, Garmin says their Automotive products WILL be supported for the foreseeable future and THAT is music to my ears and many others I'm sure smile

Moderation

Please keep the conversation polite.

~Angela

Ok, but

mistypotato wrote:

.....Garmin says their Automotive products WILL be supported for the foreseeable future.....

Again, that is exactly the point. There probably will not be any new automotive gps units. But the units I use will be supported for at least the next couple of years.

I would not expect Garmin to stop the map updates altogether, but I do expect them to cut back on the number of updates per year, maybe to even once a year.

However, one of the posters above said the if we continue to use the Garmin "we will be left behind". Nonsense!

So no I'm not blind to reality, nor am I ignoring Garmins own sales history. But that does not mean that come 1/1/2019 everything Garmin automotive is gone and I am switching to Goggle and a smartphone. And BTW, if I have to root my phone and void the warranty to get the app to "play nice" then that's out also.

And even if I don't use the POIs on one of the units it is still far superior in features.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

To each their own...

For starters.. I don't own a smart phone. My flip-phone works just fine as a phone paired with Bluetooth to my vehicle.

I find it convenient (essential in my volunteer job driving seniors to various places) to have a rolling map.. where I am.. what streets are ahead etc. I have my GPS mounted where I can easily see it.. and, reach when required to add a destination (on dash left of steering wheel). I upgraded to a 6" screen to see more real-estate (2689)..

I see absolutely no appeal to going to a smaller screen.. mounted where I can't easily see it.. have to remove / replace each time I get in / out.

But.. to each their own..

--
Lives in Edmonton AB A volunteer driver for Drive Happiness.ca and uses a 2689 to find my way.

Ditto

"For starters.. I don't own a smart phone. My flip-phone works just fine as a phone paired with Bluetooth to my vehicle."

Same here.

--
Wait a minute... who am I here?

Moderation

Reminder of the Forum Rules:

We reserve the right to remove posts or to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules.

Be friendly and polite. We will not tolerate personal attacks, insults, rudeness, or inflammatory posts.

Avoid bickering or arguing for sport. POI Factory is not a forum for politically charged debate. Let's avoid topics that already have a long list of Democrat or Republican talking points or that name specific politicians.

Do not discuss pirating maps or other software.

Humor that would pass on the Tonight Show or Saturday Night Live is generally okay at POI Factory.

Do not post with multiple user accounts.

Do not argue with a moderator’s decision publicly. If you feel a decision should be reconsidered, send a private note via the contact form. The moderator’s decision is final in these matters.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/28855

~Angela

1 2 3
<<Page 4