No new garmins?

 

Halfway through 2018 and still no word about any new automotive units. I think we're still at the 51/61. Are we just going to skip a year? I thought someone said at CES that we were looking at 3-6 months?

Page 1>>

New Garmin's

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for new models. Garmin has already discontinued their premier DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S with no replacement model.

As I said in another post, I think the Garmin road navigation party is about over.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

If

If such is the case that the party is almost over, what will that mean for the lifetime map updates?

That would be sad

alandb wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for new models. Garmin has already discontinued their premier DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S with no replacement model.

As I said in another post, I think the Garmin road navigation party is about over.

Especially since the in-car units are clearly inferior to the Garmin GPS units.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Definitely Would Be Sad

maddog67 wrote:
alandb wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for new models. Garmin has already discontinued their premier DriveLuxe 51 LMT-S with no replacement model.

As I said in another post, I think the Garmin road navigation party is about over.

Especially since the in-car units are clearly inferior to the Garmin GPS units.

On a recent trip I only had the factory nav system on our Murano to rely on....Very frustrating to use and far less user friendly and accurate than my RV760!

Garmin is a very big company

Garmin is a very big company that offers many aviation and ship products - they could easily abandon the consumer GPS market if they saw deminishing sales.

--
Garmin Drive Smart 61 NA LMT-S

I agree

maddog67 wrote:

Especially since the in-car units are clearly inferior to the Garmin GPS units.

I agree that as of today the in car units are universally inferior to the stand alone devices but it's not really the in car units that will cause Garmin to discontinue the production of dedicated automotive GPS units IMHO, it's the fact that all the vehicle manufacturers are putting Android Auto and Apple Carplay in their vehicles and we will all then be using our phones.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD and TomTom XXL540s, HereWeGo for Android.

Yup.

Rick has it right I think. And there is no technical reason that a phone app for Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play can't provide all the functionality (and more) than what our dedicated Garmin devices do. The sad part is that as of now, they don't. Give me an improved Garmin Viago app with file import, custom alerts, saved routes, etc. that runs on Android Auto, and I will gladly give up my 3597. Unfortunately, instead of improving their repertoire of smartphone app's, Garmin discontinues them. They seem to no longer have an interest in the future of the road navigation market.

I hope Garmin surprises us with some future announcements, but right now, I am not optimistic.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Well I currently have a

Well I currently have a DriveAssist 50. Any reason to get a DriveAssist 51 before it also gets discontinued? My understanding is that the 51 doesn't have much more features than the 50, but the 51 doesn't come with a traffic receiver cable so I would need to keep the cable that came with my 50.

The 51 uses Smartlink app on

The 51 uses Smartlink app on your Android or Apple phone. It gives 100% traffic coverage and uses very little data. Your cable only give you limited coverage of major metro areas.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

Garmin 50LMT

I'm pretty sure that you can use the SmartLink app for live traffic from a smartphone on the DriveAssist and Drivesmart 50LMT's also. The only difference is the 50 comes with the traffic cable for Garmin traffic and the 61 has wifi.

no smartphone :(

phranc wrote:

The 51 uses Smartlink app on your Android or Apple phone. It gives 100% traffic coverage and uses very little data. Your cable only give you limited coverage of major metro areas.

Well unfortunately that is completely useless for me on account of I don't have a smartphone!

have one but ...

WuLabsWuTecH wrote:

Well unfortunately that is completely useless for me on account of I don't have a smartphone!

I have a smartphone, smartphone app and the DriveSmart 61 and they do work nice together, however I'd never want to solely depend on a phone of any kind for GPS services. I hope Garmin never abandons the standalone vehicle GPS market.

--
. Nuvi 2689, two Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N, Garmin, built into my Jeep. .

Depends

sydric wrote:

If such is the case that the party is almost over, what will that mean for the lifetime map updates?

I guess it depends on "who's" lifetime. Seems most lifetime guarantees are for the lifetime of the company..

--
Lives in Edmonton AB A volunteer driver for Drive Happiness.ca and uses a 2689 to find my way.

FreedomPop to the rescue

WuLabsWuTecH wrote:

Well unfortunately that is completely useless for me on account of I don't have a smartphone!

You can buy a smartphone through FreedomPop very inexpensively and configure it to cost you $0/month in fees while getting a limited amount of talk/data/text monthly. Since the Garmin Smartphone app uses so little data, this would give you free traffic after the purchase of the phone as well as a phone for occasional calling and a good emergency backup for calling 911.

consumer cellular

Consumer Cellular is also a good provider in the US. They have several inexpensive smartphones for sale and the service is very inexpensive for those who use data in reasonable amounts.

I agree with Craig that Smartphone Link uses very little data and provides the best traffic of all the Garmin options.

dobs108 smile

Republic Wireless

I use Republic Wireless. For $20/month + taxes ($3 + change or $23.xx total) I get unlimited calls/text and 1 GB of Data. If I ever want more data, it is a simple $5/GB. To date I have only used about 650MB of data. That is roughly 2/3 of the 1GB.

They have a variety of smartphones or even have a bring your own phone option. No contracts.

I've been with them for 3-4 years now. I first started because they have the option of doing wifi calling. It is very handy if you are in a no cell/very weak cell area.

--
Garmin Nuvi 2450

FreedomPop & Tracfone

FreedomPop smartphones can be bought for as little as $30 (CDMA networks) or $55 (GSM networks). This can be a one-time expense for future totally free cell service including cellular data needed for the Garmin Smartphone app.

In case anyone wants to try this, please note that there are some hoops you will need to jump through to ensure that you do not have to pay for monthly service. When you activate a FreedomPop phone, you are signed up for a free trial of multiple premium services and if they're not canceled, you will be charged for them monthly. Make sure that you find all the trial services, then go to each and cancel them leaving you with the Basic Free service only.

FreedomPop's free service includes 200 minutes of talk, 500MB of data and 500 texts which is more than enough for a full month of Garmin Smartphone link activity plus the occasional phone call or text. Note that voicemail is not available without paying for a premium service. Given the lack of voicemail and limited talk time, FreedomPop is not the best service in my opinion for anyone needing more than a little cell service monthly or who wants voicemail ability.

For me and at least one other active user here at The Factory, our next suggestion for a cell provider and smartphone is to go with Tracfone. Once a phone is purchased with an initial 1-yr smartphone plan (maybe around $125-150 total), future years of service can be had for well under $100 or under $8-9/month.

So glad I read this post

CraigW wrote:

FreedomPop smartphones can be bought for as little as $30 (CDMA networks) or $55 (GSM networks). This can be a one-time expense for future totally free cell service including cellular data needed for the Garmin Smartphone app.

In case anyone wants to try this, please note that there are some hoops you will need to jump through to ensure that you do not have to pay for monthly service. When you activate a FreedomPop phone, you are signed up for a free trial of multiple premium services and if they're not canceled, you will be charged for them monthly. Make sure that you find all the trial services, then go to each and cancel them leaving you with the Basic Free service only.

FreedomPop's free service includes 200 minutes of talk, 500MB of data and 500 texts which is more than enough for a full month of Garmin Smartphone link activity plus the occasional phone call or text. Note that voicemail is not available without paying for a premium service. Given the lack of voicemail and limited talk time, FreedomPop is not the best service in my opinion for anyone needing more than a little cell service monthly or who wants voicemail ability.

For me and at least one other active user here at The Factory, our next suggestion for a cell provider and smartphone is to go with Tracfone. Once a phone is purchased with an initial 1-yr smartphone plan (maybe around $125-150 total), future years of service can be had for well under $100 or under $8-9/month.

I have an old Note 4 and want my husband to get a sim card for the phone. He refuses and said no need as he very seldom needs a phone.
I want him to have one as when we are out and I lose track of him I could just call.
Well, seeing this Free service, and hoping it will work in my Note 4, is a great thing to learn.
Best Buy has the sim for $.99 for the free service and the 12 month for $49.00. I will try the free one to see if it works and then if I can push him to the 12 month one I will but all he really needs if the free one.
Thanks for the information. This is so great to know.
Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Of course

mgarledge wrote:

I have an old Note 4 and want my husband to get a sim card for the phone. He refuses and said no need as he very seldom needs a phone.
I want him to have one as when we are out and I lose track of him I could just call.
Well, seeing this Free service, and hoping it will work in my Note 4, is a great thing to learn.
Best Buy has the sim for $.99 for the free service and the 12 month for $49.00. I will try the free one to see if it works and then if I can push him to the 12 month one I will but all he really needs if the free one.
Thanks for the information. This is so great to know.
Mary

Ah, of course. I had forgotten the BYOP program where you only need the SIM. Go for it.

Be sure to check each trial period premium service and cancel each if you don't want to use and pay for it. I understand and forgive FreedomPop for making each of the service's Cancel links pretty tiny and easy-to-miss but you will find a cancel link for each service if you go and look for it.

The free Plans are the Basic 200 or Basic 200 GSM and each is free monthly if no services are added. I have no premium services and may not remember what trials were given to me when I activated the phone but they may be:

Premier $10.99/mo after trial ends
Premium Plus $7.99
and it seems there may have been a third service...

One service that may be useful for folks who use a tiny amount of minutes some months and many minutes the next is the Data Rollover service at $3.99/mo which lets you keep unused minutes form previous months.

Just be sure to read, understand, and if desired, cancel premium services you don't need so that you will avoid a $urpri$e a month or so after you start a plan.

Apps on old devices.

Another thing to think about before investing too much in an old device ...
If you want to run any apps, like Smartphone Link, what version of Android is on it? Is it upgradable? Then what android version is required by the apps you want to run.

Sometimes it is better to get a cheap newer refurb phone rather than try to resurrect an old one. Of course, if all you want to do is make occasional phone calls, it doesn't matter so much.

Smartphone Link requires Android 4.4.2 or newer, (5.5,1 recommended).

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Ancient history

alandb wrote:

Smartphone Link requires Android 4.4.2 or newer, (5.5,1 recommended).

Android 5 is ancient history in phone years. It dates from 2014!

dobs108 smile

Back on the original topic

No new Garmins? Perhaps they are waiting on the new Broadcom Chip. Old technology - 5 meter accuracy. New technology - 30 cm accuracy. http://gpsworld.com/big-news-from-broadcom-30-cm-positioning...
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semiconductors/design/su...

--
-Quest, Nuvi 1390T

Thanks

CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I have an old Note 4 and want my husband to get a sim card for the phone. He refuses and said no need as he very seldom needs a phone.
I want him to have one as when we are out and I lose track of him I could just call.
Well, seeing this Free service, and hoping it will work in my Note 4, is a great thing to learn.
Best Buy has the sim for $.99 for the free service and the 12 month for $49.00. I will try the free one to see if it works and then if I can push him to the 12 month one I will but all he really needs if the free one.
Thanks for the information. This is so great to know.
Mary

Ah, of course. I had forgotten the BYOP program where you only need the SIM. Go for it.

Be sure to check each trial period premium service and cancel each if you don't want to use and pay for it. I understand and forgive FreedomPop for making each of the service's Cancel links pretty tiny and easy-to-miss but you will find a cancel link for each service if you go and look for it.

The free Plans are the Basic 200 or Basic 200 GSM and each is free monthly if no services are added. I have no premium services and may not remember what trials were given to me when I activated the phone but they may be:

Premier $10.99/mo after trial ends
Premium Plus $7.99
and it seems there may have been a third service...

One service that may be useful for folks who use a tiny amount of minutes some months and many minutes the next is the Data Rollover service at $3.99/mo which lets you keep unused minutes form previous months.

Just be sure to read, understand, and if desired, cancel premium services you don't need so that you will avoid a $urpri$e a month or so after you start a plan.

Thanks and maybe someone can start a FreedomPop thread. Would like to know more. Just bought the Free $.99 sim.
NOW, back to the origional thread, sorry.
Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Exactly.

dobs108 wrote:
alandb wrote:

Smartphone Link requires Android 4.4.2 or newer, (5.5,1 recommended).

Android 5 is ancient history in phone years. It dates from 2014!

dobs108 smile

And I think Mary's Note 4 came with some flavor of Android 4.x.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Note 4

My Note 4 worked great with FreedomPop. It took me 3 hours and 3 phone calls ro register it. But it works grin

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Don't Forget The Updates

@alandb: The note 4 came with Android 4.4.4 However, Samsung did provide firmware updates to Android 5.0.1 and Android 6.0.1, so if updated it can definitely run Smartlink.

If the device is rooted, custom ROMs are available to later versions than Android 6.0.1, but for this device aren't necessary to run Smartlink.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Garmin

I think standalone GPS's are going the way of the dinosaur. I was looking for another Drivesmart 50LMT and went to 4 different stores today and only Best Buy had a couple of Drive 50LMT's in stock. The other 3 stores usually carry GPS's but they didn't have anything in stock. Get one when you still can.

Well ...

The DriveSmart 50 is a discontinued model. You can find some refurb's at several online sites for very good prices. If you want a new device, did you look for the current model ... the DriveSmart 51 LMT-S? They should be available in retail stores as well as online.

But in general, I agree with your statement about the future availability of standalone GPS devices.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Yes, but...

alandb wrote:

The DriveSmart 50 is a discontinued model. You can find some refurb's at several online sites for very good prices. If you want a new device, did you look for the current model ... the DriveSmart 51 LMT-S? They should be available in retail stores as well as online.

But in general, I agree with your statement about the future availability of standalone GPS devices.

Yes, but as I was saying...none of the stores I went to seem to be stocking ANY GPS's anymore. I don't think they sell very well anymore. Costco has one but it's the Drive and I wanted a Drivesmart. Looking for the previous model because I want the traffic cable and have no use for wifi on the current on. Online is about the only place I can find them.

sad

I will be very sad if Garmin gives up on GPS automotive. If they do give up on GPS standalone units, I wish they would produce a phone app that worked as well with lifetime maps, worked with car systems like Android Auto.

I'm getting a new car soon and will run an experiment with my 2699 vs Android Auto running Google maps. So far, with no route saving and route management, cell phone drop outs impacting Google maps, Garmin is starting way ahead in that head-to-head before the experiment even starts.

--
___________________ Garmin 2455, 855, Oregon 550t

+1

rigel wrote:

I will be very sad if Garmin gives up on GPS automotive. If they do give up on GPS standalone units, I wish they would produce a phone app that worked as well with lifetime maps, worked with car systems like Android Auto.

I'm getting a new car soon and will run an experiment with my 2699 vs Android Auto running Google maps. So far, with no route saving and route management, cell phone drop outs impacting Google maps, Garmin is starting way ahead in that head-to-head before the experiment even starts.

I agree with everything you said. I have been trying to like Google navigation on Android Auto, but it just doesn't measure up to my nuvi 3597.

Let's hope that Garmin surprises us at CES 2019 with some new announcements.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

New Units

Nothing compares to the 3590 and 3597. I truly hope they are not the last of the high end units coming from Garmin.

GPS's

I like the screen of GPS's better than Waze, but usually use Waze.

Map Lifetime Updates

I started using the OpenStreetMap,(the Garmin Routeable version), instead of the Garmin produced map. I find these maps show more detail and are more updated than the Garmin Map. I have experienced errors with both maps, but with the OSM, you can correct or have corrected these errors in a timely matter , as Garmin sometimes takes years to correct the errors that are submitted to them

As for POI,I download the ones here, which I find seem to be equivalent to the ones supplied by Garmin Maps. The downloaded POI allows the Company's symbol to be associated with the POI on the map.

This is ......

an excellent question !!!

--
RKF (Bethesda, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

GPS

alandb wrote:

Rick has it right I think. And there is no technical reason that a phone app for Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play can't provide all the functionality (and more) than what our dedicated Garmin devices do. The sad part is that as of now, they don't. Give me an improved Garmin Viago app with file import, custom alerts, saved routes, etc. that runs on Android Auto, and I will gladly give up my 3597. Unfortunately, instead of improving their repertoire of smartphone app's, Garmin discontinues them. They seem to no longer have an interest in the future of the road navigation market.

I hope Garmin surprises us with some future announcements, but right now, I am not optimistic.

That would be fine as long as you have GOOD cell coverage but there are still areas in the West that have no or spotty cell service.

I just got a new 2019 Honda

I just got a new 2019 Honda with built-in Garmin and I have to say it's SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Honda designed predecessor navigation system. Now that they've partnered with Garmin, it's so much better!! That said, I suspect they'll focus their efforts on partnerships with automotive manufacturers rather than consumer devices as many move towards smartphone apps.

Offline maps

FalconDriver wrote:

That would be fine as long as you have GOOD cell coverage but there are still areas in the West that have no or spotty cell service.

Again, no technical reason that there can't be on board maps with no cell signal required for navigation. Garmin supported offline maps on their Viago, StreepPilot and Navigon apps, so they know how to do it.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Offline Maps

alandb wrote:
FalconDriver wrote:

That would be fine as long as you have GOOD cell coverage but there are still areas in the West that have no or spotty cell service.

Again, no technical reason that there can't be on board maps with no cell signal required for navigation. Garmin supported offline maps on their Viago, StreepPilot and Navigon apps, so they know how to do it.

That's true !

I tend to....

agree with you

--
RKF (Bethesda, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

Not to highjack the thread but

If you have no cell service and have the map downloaded in Google Maps shouldn't you be able to see the streets on all the downloaded maps?
I have my area in the US and Athens, Greece downloaded abroad.
I can turn off cell and wifi while in the US and see the US major and side streets ok on my US downloaded map.
When I look at Athens, Greece downloaded maps while in the US I only see the real major roads. I turn wifi back on and all the streets are visible.
It seems that if all the information is downloaded I should be able to see Greece while in the US without wifi.

May be another reason to take a GPS everywhere.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

This Goes Back To My Original CES Thread

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/48091

I'll be going back in January. Can't wait to hear the excuse this year.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

HereToGo

mgarledge wrote:

May be another reason to take a GPS everywhere.

It sounds like you encountered a limitation to viewing the map that is dependent upon your location. But then again, Google Maps has always been better with data on than without it. That is a primary reason why I have HereToGo on my smartphone as a backup.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

I forgot about HereWeGo

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

May be another reason to take a GPS everywhere.

It sounds like you encountered a limitation to viewing the map that is dependent upon your location. But then again, Google Maps has always been better with data on than without it. That is a primary reason why I have HereToGo on my smartphone as a backup.

I put HereWeGo on my Note 8 and put the phone on airplane and the Greece maps wewe there and shearchable. I used Here before but forgot about it. It will be good to have for a backup. Thanks
Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

When is CES 2019?

When is CES 2019?

It

It starts on January 8th, 2019

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD and TomTom XXL540s, HereWeGo for Android.

the game's up?

Maybe Garmin decided the game's up?

Yeah.

Makinja wrote:

Maybe Garmin decided the game's up?

I have been thinking that same thing. CES 2019 will tell the tale, IMO. If they have nothing to announce in the automotive navigation market for a second year in a row, I think it is just a matter of time. They will probably provide map updates and support until they sell off most of the existing inventory, but then ... game over!

Garmin itself is probably in pretty good shape with the other product lines (marine, sport, exercise, aviation, etc.), but the glory days of automotive navigation may be coming to an end.

My hope is that they will stay in the automotive market but shift the emphasis to phone apps, on-board systems, and even better with hybrid apps like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

I Agree

alandb wrote:
Makinja wrote:

Maybe Garmin decided the game's up?

I have been thinking that same thing. CES 2019 will tell the tale, IMO. If they have nothing to announce in the automotive navigation market for a second year in a row, I think it is just a matter of time. They will probably provide map updates and support until they sell off most of the existing inventory, but then ... game over!

Garmin itself is probably in pretty good shape with the other product lines (marine, sport, exercise, aviation, etc.), but the glory days of automotive navigation may be coming to an end.

My hope is that they will stay in the automotive market but shift the emphasis to phone apps, on-board systems, and even better with hybrid apps like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

I echo your thoughts, it appears Garmin's days are over in regards to Automotive devices. In today's technology, users will use their phones to navigate to their intended destination. At least they had the presence of mind to expand their products in other areas.

They were good at what they do in comparison to competitors. They too will suffer from losing business in the automotive GPS devices.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

The music stopped and we are without a chair

Came across this article today.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4204046-garmin-changed-dest...

It is a registration site, but the first page (that doesn't require registration) tells all.

In a nutshell: A two year decline in auto GPS unit sales, coupled with changing demographics of customers purchase demands has now shifted Garmins production focus away from Auto GPS units and into the wearable market. Surprise, surprise!

Hate to be the bearer, but it appears the party is over and we will not have a any further support or new auto GPS products coming from Garmin!

Page 1>>