new & interesting places for your GPS

Accidentaly Deleted all garmin files

 

hi
i have backed up the files before i deleted it. I accidentally deleted all the files from my Nuvi 1350LMT to install new map. it installed the latest map 2013.20 but after installing it there is no voice guidance, and it wont communicate with garmin communicator, it does mount to the desktop. i called garmin but no help. they said the files cant be dragged and installed to gps. so i am stuck with no voice and wont be able to update maps any more. i have the following files backed up to my mac pc before i deleted from gps. is there any way i can restore the gps to bring it back to life as it was. please help me. Thank you in advance.

autorun.inf
GarminDevice.xml
GPX
help
JPEG
keyboards
LEX_PKG
nuvi_drive.ico
Text
Vehicle
Voice

?

I'm not sure why Garmin is stating that you can't copy files from your computer backup back to the nuvi.

Personally, I'd overlook what Garmin says and try it, making sure to put the backup files into the proper directories on the nuvi. This may require creating several folders on the nuvi before you copy files back from the computer backup.

You may want to wait for others to pipe in, then see what they suggest as well.

@rajchataut

How did you accidentally delete any files from the nuvi? Do you remember what you did just before you said "Oh ####" to yourself?

Like Craigw, I do not see any reason why the files other than the maps can not be restored from the backup.

Folders vs. Files

From the looks of the list you made, you have several files and some folders. Do the folders contain additional files? If so, try dragging everything (folders/files) into the main directory on the Garmin device.

You may run into a problem doing this if the maps you installed don't leave enough memory. In that case, try reinstalling the maps to an SD card. You probably need to do this with the map installer software so the unit knows where the maps are located.

I have removed individual files (voices, vehicles, pois, etc.) from the unit and put them back on with no problem. I don't know if this will work with system files, but perhaps someone else has done this and can help.

Good luck!

More Info Please

Although I'm not familiar with Mac Pc's, I agree with CraigW and Jgermann that you should be able to restore the files from backup.

Please give some additional information since you say you deleted all the files on the Nuvi yet you were able to install a new map, I don't know how that's possible.

1- Does the Nuvi boot properly and the only issues are no voice guidance and unable to connect with Communicator?
2- Have you checked the map information page to confirm that 2013.20 map is recognized by the Nuvi.
3- Is the voice Folder on the Nuvi missing?
If the folder is missing or empty, copy your backup voice folder back into the Garmin folder. Then boot your Nuvi and select a voice that you prefer.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

Here we go

Here we go again ...

why is it that the only folks who post these "I accidentally" messages are first time posters?

Oh well.

Your FIRST and ONLY recourse is to contact Garmin ...

You should be able to restore your Garmin from your back-up.

If you are missing files ... the ONLY source for the missing files is Garmin.

They are willing to help any legitimate owner of a GARMIN GPS.

If you are trying to rebuild a reformatted LOCKED Garmin GPS ... well, you are barking the wrong tree.

OP, ignore the loud voice in the back shouting at you

@cbwatts: I will find the post a bit later for your benefit, but JM contacted Garmin over the issue of user support by offering missing files other than detail maps. Garmin didn't have a problem with it. What I have a problem with is, again, assuming that the OP must be committing a crime by coming to us for help. That's a decidedly unfriendly attitude to have and not what I come to this site for.

You must not have read the OP's post, wherein he mentions he has a backup of the files.

@rajchataut: Ignore cbwatts here. He's had a bit too much coffee this morning. If I understand you correctly you installed 2013.20 but the 1350 will no longer communicate with Garmin communicator in addition to having no voices? The first thing to do here is to ignore Garmin's advice and attempt to copy the files from your backup to the device. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to do it on any computer, regardless of whether it runs Windows, Linux, or OS X.

The more troubling problem here is that the device is not communicating with Garmin Communicator. Without physically working on the device we can't fix that problem. All we can suggest is to do a hard reset after you copy the files back to the device and see if that corrects anything.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Thank you all for ur advice.

Thank you all for ur advice. I finally was able to restore files on to my device after a 2hr on the phone with garmin. I came to this site for some help and some people did try to help me. Thanks to those.

Reward For Patience

rajchataut wrote:

Thank you all for ur advice. I finally was able to restore files on to my device after a 2hr on the phone with garmin. I came to this site for some help and some people did try to help me. Thanks to those.

Glad you got it working.
Do you know what Garmin did to correct the problem?
Would be nice to know so we all can learn from your experience.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

Wow when did it become hostile

When did it become hostile for someone to ask a question new or not????

--
Garmin 3790 LMT - Always on the road around the US.

GPS delete

One thing I do is to copy ALL files from the GPS to my hard drive. In windows, Windows explorer must be set to be able to show all system files and all hidden files, otherwise you can not copy the whole GPS file system.

I was in a similar situation as the OP, in hindsight I think what I did was the click delete the Garmin folder, forgetting that it was actually the GPS and not a folder on my hard drive.

Needless to say I pooped a brick and thought my GPS was now an expensive paperweight.

Copied everything back to the GPS and then logged on to Garmin to see if anything needed to be added.

After that I was good to go again.

--
Nuvi 855LMT and Nuvi 3790LMT

Wish I could tell you when but...

TMan65 wrote:

When did it become hostile for someone to ask a question new or not????

...if the OP needed the files I would zip up what I have from my GPS, except the detail map, and send him a link to download it. You would have thought that after the witch hunt involving Lance Armstrong people might not be so quick to point a finger and make accusations without any shred of evidence.

Only in America. *rolls eyes*

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

They basically dragged the

They basically dragged the file from trash to garmin folder. I had to share my computer screen with the tech team member. I think they formatted the garmin ang then put all the files back again one by one. Earlier it was showing no space to copy file. Then he I am sure formatted garmin. And it is working fine.

I Agreed

TMan65 wrote:

When did it become hostile for someone to ask a question new or not????

I agree with you. If someone ask a question, the op need help so help the individual regardless what anyone thinks .

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT

Thanks For Advising

rajchataut wrote:

They basically dragged the file from trash to garmin folder. I had to share my computer screen with the tech team member. I think they formatted the garmin ang then put all the files back again one by one. Earlier it was showing no space to copy file. Then he I am sure formatted garmin. And it is working fine.

If the tech copied the files from your trash, in reality you never lost them since they were still on your PC.

I would not have been as lucky as you since my trash is always empty so recovery would not be possible.

Enjoy you now operational Nuvi.

--
Nuvi 660 2460LMT Sold My 765T

Recycle bin emptied out

muell9k wrote:

I would not have been as lucky as you since my trash is always empty so recovery would not be possible.
Enjoy you now operational Nuvi.

Actually not quite true. As long as you have not overwritten any files a file recovery program can bring the trashed files back.

Deleting files, all that happens is that the first letter of a file gets removed and maybe a symbol will take its place, which means effectively the computer can not read those files anymore.
Even when you empty the recycle bin they are not completely gone yet.

--
Nuvi 855LMT and Nuvi 3790LMT

That applies to Windows. It

That applies to Windows. It may be a completely different story in Linux and OS X.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Proof that Garmin should be the main contact

>> I had to share my computer screen with the tech team member. I think they formatted the garmin ang then put all the files back again one by one.

Glad Garmin got you back and running. Again, proof that Garmin will go the distance to help any legitimate Garmin GPS owner who somehow deletes the files on their GPS.

Why...

is it necessary to delete files when downloading new maps, or am I missing something? I have a number of Nuvi's, and never have I removed a file to do so. I do admit it is fun playing with these things, i.e. voice commands, etc. but I don't get involved with much more than that, you see, I want these things to do the job for which they were intended....get me to where I want to be, and so far, they have.

I think Garmin should be vigorously applauded for paying for all the "800" charges, for mistakes WE make. Most of us seem to forget that there are actual charges for a 2 hour call. Would we all be as anxious to make those numerous extruded calls to Garmin, if we each had to pay that cost, I don't think so. There aren’t many of these companies that provide “800” numbers to their customers for “self caused” mistakes. So, give them an "Atta Boy" now and then when we are once more “in the dark” with our Nuvi's and need their "free" assistance.

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

Which changes nothing.

@cbwatts: You still treated a new poster like s#!^ and assumed facts not in evidence. The next time you want to make accusations like that, don't.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

It depends

jmkthird wrote:

Why...
is it necessary to delete files when downloading new maps, or am I missing something? I have a number of Nuvi's, and never have I removed a file to do so...

It depends. Certainly, there's not a need to remove the old City Navigator map files before installing a City Navigator update since the Updater software knows how to handle the replacement of the old with the new.

But for low-capacity nuvi models in the recent past, it's impossible to install all of North America without first making some extra space on the nuvi for the bigger map update files. Even Garmin gives instructions for removing unneeded files like foreign languages, etc. More recently with the added ability to install the map update to a SD card, this is less of an issue but this SD option is very recent.

It looks like your nuvis are a 360 and 255W, both of which are 2GB models. With these models and recent map updates, it's difficult to install all of North America to these models without first making some extra room. If you've done updates routinely to your two nuvis, did you have to select The Lower 48 states or something in place of North America running the update process?

Accidents, but who really knows why?

jmkthird wrote:

is it necessary to delete files when downloading new maps, or am I missing something?

It's not necessary unless running short of space for the map. Even then files should be moved instead. However, accidents do happen. In this case, the user had made a backup (according to his initial post) prior to the attempt to update his maps.

I don't see the point in getting all worked up over it. It doesn't matter why it happened and no one here is qualified to determine the motivations behind it happening. All that we know is that it happened and a fellow user asked for help.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Choice of words

I have always been struck by the use of the word "accidentally" when used with "deleted" or "formatted". While I am not familiar with a Mac (which was true in this thread), I know that my PC starts by assuming that I might not have wanted to delete or format whatever.

When I do a delete by the delete key, I will receive a dialog box entitled "Confirm File Delete" which asks the question

Quote:

Are you sure you want to send 'gmapprom.img' to the Recycle Bin"
"Yes" "No"

Even though I may have pressed the "Delete" key on my keyboard in error, I have to make a positive determination to continue and delete the file.

With the rightclick-delete key combination, I started out with, I would think, intent to delete and I still am given the opportunity detailed above to back out.

Short of doing start run cmd, the only way I know to get to a "Format" option is to rightclick on a drive letter. "Accidentally" doing such is a far stretch, in my opinion.

I can more easily see how someone might assume that old maps would have to be deleted prior to loading a new map but then the action would not be "accidental"

Yeah

Melaqueman wrote:

Deleting files, all that happens is that the first letter of a file gets removed and maybe a symbol will take its place, which means effectively the computer can not read those files anymore.
Even when you empty the recycle bin they are not completely gone yet.

Used to be a question mark. May still be.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Default Assumptions

jgermann wrote:

When I do a delete by the delete key, I will receive a dialog box entitled "Confirm File Delete" which asks the question

Quote:

Are you sure you want to send 'gmapprom.img' to the Recycle Bin"
"Yes" "No"

While that dialog box popping up is the default, that dialog box can be shut off in the Recycle Bin properties. I would know because I do in fact shut that dialog box off. Depending on the file I will also hold down the shift key while deleting a file, which bypasses the Recycle Bin entirely.

You cannot assume that people use the computer in the same way as you.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

880 calls

jmkthird wrote:

I think Garmin should be vigorously applauded for paying for all the "800" charges, for mistakes WE make. Most of us seem to forget that there are actual charges for a 2 hour call. Would we all be as anxious to make those numerous extruded calls to Garmin, if we each had to pay that cost, I don't think so.

Well that would be where MagicJack could come into play. All calls within Canada and the USA are free to make for a measly $ 20.00 a year.

--
Nuvi 855LMT and Nuvi 3790LMT

True, but

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
jgermann wrote:

When I do a delete by the delete key, I will receive a dialog box entitled "Confirm File Delete" which asks the question

Quote:

Are you sure you want to send 'gmapprom.img' to the Recycle Bin"
"Yes" "No"

While that dialog box popping up is the default, that dialog box can be shut off in the Recycle Bin properties. I would know because I do in fact shut that dialog box off. Depending on the file I will also hold down the shift key while deleting a file, which bypasses the Recycle Bin entirely.

You cannot assume that people use the computer in the same way as you.

@Strephon, one can indeed uncheck the "Display delete confirmation dialog" box, but when one does that, I am going to assume that they would never use the word "accidentally" concerning the deleting of a file. We would likely never hear from such a person because that person would have recovered the file from the Recycle bin or would have used a utility like Recuva to bring the file back to life.

People who uncheck the "Display delete confirmation dialog" box are also quite like to have multiple backups and would have - prior to doing something like the instant situation - made a complete current backup.

Your point, however, is well taken.

How to accidentally delete files

Switch from using a desktop with a mouse to a laptop with a touchpad.

Before you can get use to the touchpad or get it's setting adjusted for your touch, things seem to just happen, right in front of you on the screen. "OMG, WHAT HAPPENED. WHERE DID THAT GO?!"

--
Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts & 1450LMT | 2005 Harley Road King, Black Cherry Pearl / Black Pearl

Got me on this one

bear007 wrote:

Switch from using a desktop with a mouse to a laptop with a touchpad.

Before you can get use to the touchpad or get it's setting adjusted for your touch, things seem to just happen, right in front of you on the screen. "OMG, WHAT HAPPENED. WHERE DID THAT GO?!"

Been there done that!!!

That is why I use a wireless mouse on my laptop.

I have wireless

mouse on all our computers.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT

Nope

>>strephon you still treated a new poster like s#!^

Nope... I'm simply pointing out a fact ....

I've been a member of POI Factory for more than five years.

I can't recall a single incident of a contributing POI Factory member "accidently" deleting all the files on a Garmin GPS.

Time and time again, such "accidental deletion" posts are from first-time posters ... posters who disappear from POI Factory as soon as they post.

You would think a regular POI Factory poster would occasionally suffer from "Expert User" syndrome while flying around inside the guts of a GPS and accidently format or delete all the files.

But, no, it hasn't ever happened.

So, yes, here we go again.

This OP, however, claims that Garmin "went the distance" and helped restore their Garmin to working order.

Which, to me means that the OP is a registered Garmin owner ... who could provide a valid serial number ... and receive the help they need through proper channels.

I'm happy for him.

But as long as there are "locked" GPS's being sold on eBAY every day ... well, there are going to be folks who think they can "format" the GPS and rebuild it.

I just wish that once ... just once ... one of there "accidental format," first time poster would continue to post on POI Factory and become contributing members to the group.

The focus of this website is ... and has always been ... POINTS OF INTEREST files ...

?????

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote in this thread.

...Ignore cbwatts here. He's had a bit too much coffee this morning.

...The first thing to do here is to ignore Garmin's advice

...after the witch hunt involving Lance Armstrong people might not be so quick to point a finger

...You still treated a new poster like s#!^ and assumed facts not in evidence. The next time you want to make accusations like that, don't.

-----------

Man, you need to chill out. If you feel the need to "flame" me, please do it through a personal message, ok?

My point is ... and always will be ... that Garmin is more than willing to help any legitimate Garmin owner with a problem ... even an accidental format or deletion of critical files.

And ... this is what happened in this case. Garmin went the distance to help this original poster.

There is another post on this forum

There is another post on this forum as Strephon has indicated that deals with all of the exact same issues on this one. Such as: How can anyone accidently delete files and should we help by giving files to those individuals.
JM contacted Garmin and the answer was yes! Files get deleted whether accidently or on purpose. I tend to believe accidently because who would intentionally brick a GPS or anything else for that matter.
It happens. We are here to help. Lets move on.

--
Nuvi 650 and 1350.

I have since purchased...

CraigW wrote:
jmkthird wrote:

Why...
It looks like your nuvis are a 360 and 255W, both of which are 2GB models. With these models and recent map updates, it's difficult to install all of North America to these models without first making some extra room. If you've done updates routinely to your two nuvis, did you have to select The Lower 48 states or something in place of North America running the update process?

addiitional Nuvi's with more map space, and have given those models away...thanks for your reply.

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

Stop assuming things and you won't be burned.

@cbwatts: You've earned every bit of grief you get from me so stop with the "pity me, pity me" routine. If I didn't feel this strongly about it I wouldn't waste the words on you in public or in private.

You can try to justify your actions any way you wish. The fact remains that your repeated assumption that anyone asking for help is somehow trying to "game the system" is acting as a detriment to this site by actively discouraging users from asking us for help. If you really feel the need to accuse someone of being underhanded without having any proof might I recommend moving to Russia? You'd feel right at home.

People do have legitimate reasons for not wanting to talk to Garmin. It's not necessary to go into the possible reasons because they really aren't important. What IS important is that you and anyone else who may think as you do stop prejudging other posters and assuming they're somehow guilty when you don't know a thing about their situation.

-----------------------------------------------------

"We are here to help. Let's move on." Perhaps the most sound advice posted on this thread.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

agree

On this one I agree with Strephon_Alkhalikoi, if we are here to help other users what kind of help is it to just tell them to call Garmin.

To advice others how to correct a problem with operating files they may have deleted is not braking any laws or POI-Factory rules.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7

Found the other post that JM got an answer from Garmin in.

As we said this issue that CBwatts complains about has been brought up before (his/her opinion is vocal in the other post as well). It has been answered by Garmin directly due to JM getting involved.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36917

From the other post: "And here is the response I received from Garmin:
Garmin International wrote:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Please have the user download our WebUpdater program. You can find most files such as the keyboards, text, and languages here. If WebUpdater does not offer those files for download it would be possible to take the files from another users device and have them emailed. The device the files are coming from would need to be the exact same model as the person missing those files.

For most devices, the preferred way to update the Software for a Garmin device is by using the WebUpdater program.

… {details on how to install and use WebUpdater} …

With Best Regards,
Shawn Br.
Product Support Specialist
Garmin International
913-397-8200
800-800-1020
913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Shawn Br., Associate #6128

I am republishing this thread now that we have clarification regarding the sending of these files.

Thank you all for your patience.

Jonathan (aka JM)"

--
Nuvi 650 and 1350.

sponsored links