2011 Map Update

 

Anybody know when the 2011 map update comes out ?

Page 1>>

April or may

Garmin traditionally releases its annual update in early spring.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Early spring of the year

Early spring of the year before...LOL

.

Yes, and if they continue with the current numbering scheme, the next update released THIS year will likely be 2010.2 since the last release was 2010.1

Map subscription service

Does anyone use the map subscription service? Are updates put out regularly? Would the 2011 map update be available to subscribers before it was made available as a standalone disc?

T_T I was thinking, wow!

T_T I was thinking, wow! it's out! when I saw this topic...then....

Maps for Life

Does anybody know if Maps for Life users will get the minor updates (2010.2) ?
Jen

yes

That's the whole point of the nuMaps Lifetime program; to be able to download every update that is released, for the life of the unit.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

It's The Map "Model Year"

visiter555 wrote:

Early spring of the year before...LOL

They're taking their cue from auto industry marketers.

smile I wonder if we'll soon be able to buy "quality pre-owned" or "factory certified, pre-owned" maps. smile

.

jennyzita wrote:

Does anybody know if Maps for Life users will get the minor updates (2010.2) ?
Jen

Yes, we'll get every single update.

--
Garmin nuvi 350 Lifetime Map Updates NT 2018.10

Read the fine print

DorkusNimrod wrote:

That's the whole point of the nuMaps Lifetime program; to be able to download every update that is released, for the life of the unit.

Not exactly. It's not every map, and it's not for so long as your unit still functions.

The nüMaps Lifetime program allows "up to four (4) map Data updates per year . . . for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product's useful life expires"

This provision would permit Garmin to claim your unit is obsolete (perhaps after it has been replaced by a newer model) and is no longer eligible for updates.

Possible but not likely?

poidog wrote:
DorkusNimrod wrote:

That's the whole point of the nuMaps Lifetime program; to be able to download every update that is released, for the life of the unit.

Not exactly. It's not every map, and it's not for so long as your unit still functions.

The nüMaps Lifetime program allows "up to four (4) map Data updates per year . . . for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product's useful life expires"

This provision would permit Garmin to claim your unit is obsolete (perhaps after it has been replaced by a newer model) and is no longer eligible for updates.

I think prematurely declaring units obsolete and thereby invalidating customers Lifetime update purchases would be a seriously harmful business practice for Garmin. The competition gets tougher almost on a daily basis with even the smart phones stepping up to the plate. It seems, in general, that most buyers receive pretty good customer service and support from Garmin, although there are always exceptions. I would imagine that at some point our units would start becoming "Legacy" equipment and would eventually be unsupported but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon (I hope I'm right).

Map Update

I read a post from someone who said Garmin told him that the next update won't be until August.

Re: Possible but not likely?

Ranger Rod wrote:

I think prematurely declaring units obsolete and thereby invalidating customers Lifetime update purchases would be a seriously harmful business practice for Garmin.

* * *

I would imagine that at some point our units would start becoming "Legacy" equipment and would eventually be unsupported but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon (I hope I'm right).

Who decides what's premature?

I'm not suggesting that Garmin will declare the 2009 models obsolete as soon as the 2010 models come out.

I'm merely pointing out that the program is not as unlimited as some here seem to think. It does not offer map updates for so long as you can still get your unit to power on.

There's a reason Garmin chose that specific language and limited their obligation.

CYA

Yes, Garmin is covering themselves legally for when they decide to terminate "lifetime" subscriptions. But they will still need to strike a reasonable balance from what is legal to engaging in good faith business practices.

760

I've considered the map updates but I wonder how long my "obsolete" 760 would be covered.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

Time will tell.

poidog wrote:

Who decides what's premature?

I'm not suggesting that Garmin will declare the 2009 models obsolete as soon as the 2010 models come out.

I'm merely pointing out that the program is not as unlimited as some here seem to think. It does not offer map updates for so long as you can still get your unit to power on.

There's a reason Garmin chose that specific language and limited their obligation.

I agree with your point that the language is ambiguous at best, but I think Garmin's practice shows a pretty good history of supplying map updates on older units ("older" in the context of electronic gadgets). I have read a number of posts in the forums where users are putting map updates on older nuvi's and StreetPilots. Only time will tell if Garmin continues this practice or if they retire models from update capability prematurely.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Steve620 wrote: Anybody

Steve620 wrote:

Anybody know when the 2011 map update comes out ?

We are in 2009 aren't we?

as long as the unit continues to function to allow updates

I contacted Garmin and asked how long my 760 would qualify if I bought the lifetime maps and their answer was as long as the unit continues to function to allow it to do the updates.

They also have answered to a few posters that if the unit is ever replaced by Garmin the maps would transfer to the new unit and that if your unit is stolen and you provide a copy of the police report they will transfer to a new unit. They also state that they are the only two conditions that a map transfer would be allowed.

This is a quote from another forum on this subject:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
With the lifetime map updates, it is only good for that one device. However, if your device was stolen, and you could provide a police report, we would be able to transfer that map update for you. If your unit comes in for repair and is exchanged out or if it was stolen and you have a police report, are the only two times the map updates can be transferred."

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

nuMaps for "LIFE"

Thank you, "rjrsw" for the info. As Walt used to say, "and that's the way it is."

Miki

Don't forget the other shoe

Miki wrote:

Thank you, "rjrsw" for the info. As Walt used to say, "and that's the way it is."

Miki

Garmin's other shoe is "and as long as maps are received from Navteq."

If they change suppliers, then the lifetime maps are no longer available.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Re: Possible but Not Likely

Quote:

"Who Decides What's premature?"

Quote:

Garmin's problem with lifetime map subscriptions is just like a system software publisher's problem. As support for new features is added to the OS software it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain compatibility with older applications (like maps). Often more than one version of the OS is published to support users of "legacy" hardware that can't run the latest OS. When the population of those legacy users becomes a small fraction of the total it is no longer economical for Garmin, or any other publisher, to support them.

The real sad thing is the increasing pace of change. Tech gizmoz like GPS units, smart phones and computers seem to become obsolete before you can master all their capabilities.

Bill

I don't think Garmin is as

I don't think Garmin is as evil as some make them out to be. I paid $129 for lifetime map subscription for my 760 and previously I paid for map updates for other Garmin units and paid between $75 and $80 each time there was an update. I like to be current.

You can do the math. wink

--
If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. - Yogi Berra

885T Map Update

Garmin is giving me ONE free update, I dont know if I should wait till almost my 60 days are up or update now..

Map Updates

This may have been discussed already - but I thought I would ask it anyway. Does it do any good to complain to the "mapmaker" on errors? For example - in my area - if you look up Grocery stores - you will get a list of Winn Dixie stores.
It has been at least 3 years since WD pulled out of NC, SC , AL and several other southern states. So why are they still on the map? There is a mall near by - it has changed names 3 times. The last change was last year. They have the previous two names - both listed at the same address - but not the newest one? I don't understand how they can make these kind of mistakes. Does no one check or recheck the data or facts?
If it helps - where do you complain to get it changed. Thanks!

Try here

sc_sweeper wrote:

This may have been discussed already - but I thought I would ask it anyway. Does it do any good to complain to the "mapmaker" on errors? For example - in my area - if you look up Grocery stores - you will get a list of Winn Dixie stores.
It has been at least 3 years since WD pulled out of NC, SC , AL and several other southern states. So why are they still on the map? There is a mall near by - it has changed names 3 times. The last change was last year. They have the previous two names - both listed at the same address - but not the newest one? I don't understand how they can make these kind of mistakes. Does no one check or recheck the data or facts?
If it helps - where do you complain to get it changed. Thanks!

Look here for the Navteq link, assuming you have a Garmin.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/23920

--
Garmin 765T...Is it about the destination, or is it about the journey?

Data is reported to them

sc_sweeper wrote:

Th I don't understand how they can make these kind of mistakes. Does no one check or recheck the data or facts?
If it helps - where do you complain to get it changed. Thanks!

The lists are made as data is reported to them. They don't contact each of the 1 million pois and request validation. I believe they have several sources for the information. Recommend you provide your information to NAVTEQ.

--
Garmin StreetPilot c530, Mapsource

.

A_user

Quote:

Garmin's other shoe is "and as long as maps are received from Navteq."

But they have a contract with Navteq till 2012,so by then if they bail on Navteq your lifetime update has paid for it's self over many times.

--
Garmin nuvi 350 Lifetime Map Updates NT 2018.10

Map Update

pratzert wrote:

I read a post from someone who said Garmin told him that the next update won't be until August.

and I'm beginning to wonder if we'll see it even then.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

I didn't think that........

The updates were that big a deal but I was wrong there. All of the new road changes that I go through tends to confuse the GPS and me at the same time. I need to keep up with the updates.

--
John_nuvi_

When?

I am just wondering if and when Garmin is releasing a new Lifetime update. July should be the month if they go by the quarterly schedule. Maybe they are skipping a quarter.

--
Garmin Zumo550

Updated maps might exceed the internal memory

rjrsw wrote:

I contacted Garmin and asked how long my 760 would qualify if I bought the lifetime maps and their answer was as long as the unit continues to function to allow it to do the updates.

They also have answered to a few posters that if the unit is ever replaced by Garmin the maps would transfer to the new unit and that if your unit is stolen and you provide a copy of the police report they will transfer to a new unit. They also state that they are the only two conditions that a map transfer would be allowed.

This is a quote from another forum on this subject:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
With the lifetime map updates, it is only good for that one device. However, if your device was stolen, and you could provide a police report, we would be able to transfer that map update for you. If your unit comes in for repair and is exchanged out or if it was stolen and you have a police report, are the only two times the map updates can be transferred."

This is a very interesting response. I don't know about Garmin's history in particular, since this is my first Garmin, but I would assume map updates get larger over time. I've read of some competitors models where the map update exceeds the internal memory of the unit and that created problems. I can only assume that backward compatibility with older units would be planned in terms of available memory, but after some years, there might be problems of this nature arising.

Already happening

rockguitar wrote:
rjrsw wrote:

I contacted Garmin and asked how long my 760 would qualify if I bought the lifetime maps and their answer was as long as the unit continues to function to allow it to do the updates.

This is a very interesting response. I don't know about Garmin's history in particular, since this is my first Garmin, but I would assume map updates get larger over time. I've read of some competitors models where the map update exceeds the internal memory of the unit and that created problems. I can only assume that backward compatibility with older units would be planned in terms of available memory, but after some years, there might be problems of this nature arising.

Some units already fall into this category. I recently gave my Nuvi 200 to my daughter that had limited memory available for map updates. Garmin, for the 2010.11 update built the program to download a complete map but with limited data for the early units. Exactly what was limited (or left out) I don't know, I only know the 2010 update file size exceeded the amount of storage in the unit so it was either get only part of the entire mapset loaded (as in parts of the country not shown) or limit the amount of data but show the entire country.

The 200 is still a good viable unit. The data that is not loaded may be some of the more "exotic" features the unit was incapable of displaying such as Junction View and Lane Assist. They also may have limited the number of POI from the 6 million to around the 1 million originally included.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

.

rockguitar wrote:

I've read of some competitors models where the map update exceeds the internal memory of the unit and that created problems.

This has affected Garmin as well. The early nuvi 2x0 series came pre-installed with a limited mapset containing only the "lower 48 states" v2008. When the next v2009 update was released, the new "lower 48 states" region was too large to fit on the unit due to it's limited memory of 1GB. Users had the option to try to make room by deleting unused voices, help files, text files, and vehicles. Even then, it just barely fit and remaining space on the nuvi after the new map was installed was approx 10-15 MB.

The following update (v2010) was too large to fit regardless of what was previously deleted to make room. To counter this, Garmin supplied pre-determined regions coded within the map installer which would only load partial regions, like Eastern US and Western US.

But there was a problem (bug) with this as well with the v2010 release; seems the installer was not recognizing the limited memory nuvis correctly and attempted to install the entire US/Canada/Puerto Rico mapset rather than the smaller East or West region. The installer built the mapset, deleted the current map on the unit and then tried to transfer the full, incorrect mapset which of course did NOT fit. With no backup of the original mapset that was previously on the unit and the new mapset too large to fit, the installer aborted and left many users with a map-less unit. I'm assuming the bug has since been corrected, thus the reason for the v2010.10 "C" release in addition to the initial 2010.10 and 2010.10 "B" releases.

So Garmin is indeed running into issues here as well.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Not arbitrarily obsolete

poidog wrote:

This provision would permit Garmin to claim your unit is obsolete (perhaps after it has been replaced by a newer model) and is no longer eligible for updates.

I highly doubt that Garmin will ever arbitrarily declare a unit as obsolete and unable to receive map updates. They most certainly will stop providing firmware updates at some time, but that's a different issue altogether.

What MAY happen is that at some point there will be some major changes to how the map data itself is written and stored that could make it impossible for the older units to utilize the new data structure. A change like that could be out of their control, since the map data is provided by other companies.

885T Map Update

Steve620 wrote:

Garmin is giving me ONE free update, I dont know if I should wait till almost my 60 days are up or update now..

I briefly wondered the same thing until I thought about the potential issues resolved between manufacture and my hands vs. my hands and the next 59 days...

Having such a new model, I updated everything I could, right away. I haven't been disappointed.

--
Netpilot - Garmin 885T - Exploring 70+ screens in Test Mode

nuMaps Lifetime Updates

jennyzita wrote:

Does anybody know if Maps for Life users will get the minor updates (2010.2) ?
Jen

I was told by techsup that those with the lifetime update will have "up to" 4 updates per year.

They are in the process of straightening out my user account, as it appears that my 760 no longer has any maps associated with it but shows up correctly on the admin side.

That said, even if the update was out I would be unable to download it.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

Quarterly ?

f1fan wrote:

I am just wondering if and when Garmin is releasing a new Lifetime update. July should be the month if they go by the quarterly schedule. Maybe they are skipping a quarter.

I think we may have been over this before but Garmin says 'up to 4 updates per year'. There is no mention of quarterly updates and really no mention as to how many we will see in a given year, just that we will be eligible for 'up to 4 of them'.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

lifetime

t923347 wrote:
f1fan wrote:

I am just wondering if and when Garmin is releasing a new Lifetime update. July should be the month if they go by the quarterly schedule. Maybe they are skipping a quarter.

I think we may have been over this before but Garmin says 'up to 4 updates per year'. There is no mention of quarterly updates and really no mention as to how many we will see in a given year, just that we will be eligible for 'up to 4 of them'.

I'm waiting to see how this actually works before I commit to a lifetime. So far I haven't kept any Garmin unit long enough to justify something like this.

So far this year there has

So far this year there has only been 1 update. So i dont think that they are putting out 4 a year. they just say thats what your eligible for.

There have been 2 updates so far this year

Peterock39 wrote:

So far this year there has only been 1 update. So i dont think that they are putting out 4 a year. they just say thats what your eligible for.

I have downloaded and installed 2 updates so far this year for my 760 that were released as part of the lifetime maps subscription program. The first one was in early January and the next was in Early April.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Clever wording

With Garmin warranties and promises, one must read every word carefully. I know many thought a few months ago that there would be 4 updates a year but Garmin leaves itself an out with the added words "up to."
Much like the wording that these "lifetime updates" will be honored for the units' reasonable usage span or something to that effect.

.

When i bought my lifetime updates i only needed two updates to MORE then pay for it's self,i need one more then i'm over the top any others from here on out will be a bonus to me, free,it was a no brainer.

--
Garmin nuvi 350 Lifetime Map Updates NT 2018.10

Garmin Is Dishonest Again

rjrsw wrote:

They also have answered to a few posters that if the unit is ever replaced by Garmin the maps would transfer to the new unit and that if your unit is stolen and you provide a copy of the police report they will transfer to a new unit. They also state that they are the only two conditions that a map transfer would be allowed.

This is a quote from another forum on this subject:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
With the lifetime map updates, it is only good for that one device. However, if your device was stolen, and you could provide a police report, we would be able to transfer that map update for you. If your unit comes in for repair and is exchanged out or if it was stolen and you have a police report, are the only two times the map updates can be transferred."

So Garmin previously said you could get the maps switched to a new unit if your unit was stolen and you provided a police report. They failed to mention that you would have to pay to get the maps switched over!!!! Check out the 5th post down from toddcan http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118141...

But notice

GadgetGuy2008 wrote:
rjrsw wrote:

They also have answered to a few posters that if the unit is ever replaced by Garmin the maps would transfer to the new unit and that if your unit is stolen and you provide a copy of the police report they will transfer to a new unit. They also state that they are the only two conditions that a map transfer would be allowed.

So Garmin previously said you could get the maps switched to a new unit if your unit was stolen and you provided a police report. They failed to mention that you would have to pay to get the maps switched over!!!! Check out the 5th post down from toddcan http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118141&whichpage=14

But notice that the poster complaining about Garmin offering a 50% discount wasn't willing to file a police report. If a police report copy was provided, Garmin would stand by their promise to transfer the account for no charge. They want proof - which you can't blame them for!

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Bet A Dollar

No, the way I read it is that Garmin is offering to replace the maps for 50% of cost IF the person provides a police report.

I'll bet you a dollar thats the case. Lets see if toddcan clarifies his post.

Well GG

We'll just have to see if he answers your post.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

4 per year

Peterock39 wrote:

So far this year there has only been 1 update. So i dont think that they are putting out 4 a year. they just say thats what your eligible for.

Think about it: New in Apr is #1, July is #2, Somewhere around Oct is #3, Jan is #4, Then the year starts again with Apr as #1 for the next year. That's what they said, 4 per year. I know the program is new and has no history but they seem to be following those dates. Someone on another thread had even checked the release dates and they followed that pattern. They did not say calendar year, they seem to be doing a year from April.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

.

Well, since the 2010.2 was released yesterday, they still are within the quarter. smile

Model years...Garmin vs. Auto Industry

edwardw66 wrote:
visiter555 wrote:

Early spring of the year before...LOL

They're taking their cue from auto industry marketers.

smile I wonder if we'll soon be able to buy "quality pre-owned" or "factory certified, pre-owned" maps. smile

At least the automakers started calling them 2009 1/2 model! Garmin? Well....

LOL

Lifetime

I would like to do the lifetime but I'm concerned that my C340 won't be able to handle the size of the updates. Planned obsolescence is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

Page 1>>