new & interesting places for your GPS

Suffolk COunty Long Island NY anounces new red light cameras!!!!

 

it official (not that they were going to shoot the bill down) but legislators voted unanimously to install almost 138 new red light cameras in what they call "dangerous intersections" they will put up 50 cameras this year and finish all of them by late 2010. no list published of the intersections yet. keep your eyes open for a poi file update when the list comes out.

Other pages

--
Nuvi360, Nuvi 250, street pilot, etrx, maggelin sport, maggelin 750, Freedom gps 2000
2 3 4
Page 1>>

50 Cameras...

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-poredlight0610...

Installation of 50 cameras have been authorized by the NYS legislature - the same as NYC has installed, and Nassau County has received approved for - and the Suffolk legislature voted to install them.

County public works and police have identified 138 potential intersections for the cameras, but they won't all receive cameras. The county will issue a request for proposals for the work this summer, and select a vendor in November. Installation work is scheduled to start in early 2010.

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

But they may be delayed...

Since now it looks like the Counties are going to need to front some $$$. Lets see if they stay on track or fall by the wayside...(Hopefully by the wayside)
http://www.motorists.org/blog/red-light-cameras-increase-acc...

Good

Being from Yaphank Long Island this is a good thing for the Island,Currently I live in Bakersfield Ca,and we have our share of camera intersection which two are with in walking distance from my home.
Still the Cameras were installed speeders and accidents have dropped!
Vrod

They have arrived!!!!

Suffolk County officials announced Friday that the first in a series of photo-enforcement systems that capture red light violations is operational at the intersection of Ocean Avenue and the Long Island Expressway South Service Road near Exit 59.

There will be a 30-day grace period will let violators off with warnings through July 15, when fines will start. Cameras will be installed at up to 50 intersections Suffolk County and New York State road intersections starting in August.

First One

Yes, this is the first red light camera in Suffolk County. The Red Light Camera POI file on this site has had an error in it for some time saying there is one in Copiague, NY which is in Suffolk County.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Reported error

Aardvark wrote:

Yes, this is the first red light camera in Suffolk County. The Red Light Camera POI file on this site has had an error in it for some time saying there is one in Copiague, NY which is in Suffolk County.

Have you reported this error to miss poi. She will check it out and fix if there is one.

--
johnm405 660 & MSS&T

That has been fixed, it was

That has been fixed, it was an error.

Miss POI

Suffolk County Red Light Coordinates

-73.12491,40.81157,"RLC 495 South Service Rd & Ocean Ave, Ronkonkoma"

So far from what I saw yesterday it's eastbound on the south service road and northbound on Ocean before the underpass only. It may change.

Enjoy.

Note: Added the town
Note 7/5: There are now cameras on every corner being installed. I will test the coordinates and inform Miss POI when they're good enough for me wink

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

No camera there

johnm405 wrote:
Aardvark wrote:

Yes, this is the first red light camera in Suffolk County. The Red Light Camera POI file on this site has had an error in it for some time saying there is one in Copiague, NY which is in Suffolk County.

Have you reported this error to miss poi. She will check it out and fix if there is one.

If it's the one at Great Neck Rd and Montauk Hwy in Copiage, I reported the error quite some time ago (after going back and forth there trying to find any camera). Best I know, it's still in the database.

Oh Boy, I live in Suffolk

Just can't wait for these to get working, yea, right!!

But, some spots could use them, because some drives are just for themselves and not stopping for Red Lights.

--
Nuvi 50LM Nuvi 2555LM

Not in the Database

Vanderdecker wrote:

If it's the one at Great Neck Rd and Montauk Hwy in Copiage, I reported the error quite some time ago (after going back and forth there trying to find any camera). Best I know, it's still in the database.

That has long since been deleted.

dobs108

Let's Get Going!

Thanks, camerabob, for reporting the first Suffolk camera. We all need to be watching for others and report them to Miss POI.

dobs108 smile

Cameras are moving

The camera at Ocean ave & 495 caught me during the 30-day grace period on 7/7.

I just received the letter 7/24. I pass through this intersection every day, ... I have looked and looked in detail .. even stopped by the area the camera should be in during a bicycle ride.

It is 100% clear to me the camera is no longer there. Looking at all the other cameras, both the large circular "flash" unit and the camera itself are attached to a large collar, which is slipped on-top of the pole.

I gather they do this so the cameras can be moved around, to help spread the violation love so more drivers know about it. After I received my warning, I no longer "rush" yellows.

Also ... it says on the website that ALL cameras will have signs announcing the system is active in that intersection. Ocean & 495 has no signs .. and I did not notice them at the time I was caught.

Just a warning that the cameras are definitely being moved! And the one at Ocean & 495 monitoring those that travel south down Ocean, is NO longer there .. it has been moved. Temporarily or Permenatly .. I dont know .. but I will keep you updated if it comes back. The north bound ocean ave camera is still there.

Where Exactly?

easyisle wrote:

The camera at Ocean ave & 495 caught me during the 30-day grace period on 7/7.

IIRC, Suffolk was going to do that. As they are only allowed fifty cameras, like Nassau, but have a greater area needing coverage. Nassau's are fixed except for the ones they removed due to be out of the county's jurisdiction (ie. in villages).

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

I was wondering....

I had been back out that way since I first posted, and they were missing. That's why I never posted new coordinates. The poles were barren. If you know where they may have ended up, let us know.

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Locatons Listed?

Does Suffolk have locations listed online as Nassau County does? I've poked around the county web site a little and didn't come across anything. Yes, I'm keeping my RLC file updated, but it's nice to have an idea of where they are before I get a warning from my GPS.

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

Secret?

The original announcement at least six months to a year ago said that the locations would be kept secret, the opposite of Nassau County. However, the first one appeared in Newsday.

dobs108

camera

There's one at the corner of the LIE Service road and Old Nichols (exit58), right by Hooters.

Thanks, Fourthrail

fourthrail wrote:

There's one at the corner of the LIE Service road and Old Nichols (exit58), right by Hooters.

Since Suffolk County is keeping the locations secret, your report is appreciated. Please also notify Miss Poi at -

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/455

dobs108 smile

New suffolk county red light cameras

The red light camera contractor is making rapid progress. Some new Suffolk locations have been reported, but there must be many more out there. Report them directly to Miss Poi -

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/455

Let's not discuss specific locations in the forum - see FAQ -

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/826

There are warning signs consisting of a large yellow diamond sign with a traffic signal symbol, below which is a smaller sign that says, "photo enforced."

dobs108 smile

Hooters

fourthrail wrote:

...right by Hooters.

Thanks, I knew right where it was!

dobs108 razz

Unfair!

dobs108 wrote:
fourthrail wrote:

...right by Hooters.

Thanks, I knew right where it was!

dobs108 razz

A RLC right by a Hooters is unfair. Approximately 50% of drivers will already be distracted. smile

Updated...

I have sent Miss POI the latest data on the Suffolk County Cameras. Hopefully they will be in the next update. I have verified all of these as of 10/6. (12 total locations including the 2 or 3 already mentioned)

BTW not all are marked with signs

12 total locations!...........Signs?

Crash620 wrote:

I have sent Miss POI the latest data on the Suffolk County Cameras. Hopefully they will be in the next update. I have verified all of these as of 10/6. (12 total locations including the 2 or 3 already mentioned)

BTW not all are marked with signs

Thanks for finding all those locations!

Some of the red light camera intersections I saw had signs posted with "photo enforced" under the traffic signal sign. Others had the "photo enforced" sign covered up with cloth. I think those may not be active yet, but they were reported just the same since they could be active tomorrow. Suffolk is keeping it secret and we have no way of knowing.

dobs108 smile

Suffolk county red light camera website

Suffolk County NY has a red light camera website.
These are the FAQs -

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/redlight/faq.html

dobs108

.

Thanks Dobs108.

No mapping

dobs108 wrote:

Suffolk County NY has a red light camera website.
These are the FAQs -

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/redlight/faq.html

Too bad they don't list the intersections, though. Love this Q/A:

"Isn't the main purpose of Red Light Cameras to make money?
No. The goal of photo enforcement is to deter violators, not catch them. Signs and public information campaigns warn drivers that photo enforcement is in use."

If the statement is true, why not publish a list of the intersections online?

Maybe . . .

Vanderdecker wrote:
dobs108 wrote:

Suffolk County NY has a red light camera website.
These are the FAQs -

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/redlight/faq.html

Too bad they don't list the intersections, though. Love this Q/A:

"Isn't the main purpose of Red Light Cameras to make money?
No. The goal of photo enforcement is to deter violators, not catch them. Signs and public information campaigns warn drivers that photo enforcement is in use."

If the statement is true, why not publish a list of the intersections online?

Can't have too much of a good thing?

Everything in moderation?

You can fool some of the people . . . ?

There's a sucker born every minute?

We're from the government; we're here to help?

Please report to miss poi

tonytruck wrote:

lots of RLC"s!!...

The official way to report these locations is direct to Miss POI. See the link near the top of the right column on this page, "report an enforcement camera." You will then get a POI Contributor badge, and a personal email of thanks.

dobs108 - Nassau County NY smile

.

Oh, didn't know intersection was good enough -- thought the long/lat coordinates had to be reported, too.

BTW, how does the information get verified before going into the next update?

Coordinates are appreciated

perpster wrote:

Oh, didn't know intersection was good enough -- thought the long/lat coordinates had to be reported, too.

BTW, how does the information get verified before going into the next update?

If accurate coordinates are reported along with street names, city, state, what kind of camera, speed (if it is a speed camera) and what direction is monitored, then it will be in the next update. If Miss Poi verifies the location and obtains the coordinates it may take longer. Since we are local residents it is easier for us to find the correct intersection on Google Earth, etc.

That being said, reports of intersections are also appreciated.

dobs108 smile

Cameras

Hope all will do good to stop accidents.

Southbound is up

I was making the protected right on green arrow from the SS off ramp onto New Highway. The guy next to me was going straight. It flashed twice. He's in the hole $50. Looks can be deceiving...

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

So how many of those 50

So how many of those 50 cameras are found so far?

That's a moot point...

They claimed that they would move the 50 around so you never knew which intersections were hot and which were not. There may be upwards of 75 places with camera mounting points and you just have to treat them all with respect. Obey the law... what a concept!

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Respect

The intersection at NY-109 and New Highway has always had my respect, irregardless of its new RLC. I come off the SSP eastbound and run into that mess. You find yourself in the right turn lane to New Highway. In the meantime, you have cars heading south/east on NY-109 that want to get into your lane to turn right onto New Highway. So while you are watching to see who is going to cut in front of you to make the turn, you also have to deal with trying to merge left to allow cars to make the turn and pay attention to the traffic signal only 100 feet or so from the exit. Many times, I try to move left and a car will pull up right next to me with his right turn signal on doing my speed so I cannot pull left and he cannot pull right.

I fully expect they will get a lot of people making the right turns onto New Highway heading south and north. Most people never stop, even on a red to make that turn which is probably why it won an RLC.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

thanks, this is very

thanks, this is very important for me

Yep, it's a guantlet.

I feel for you. I'm only there occasionally.

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

rt 109 and new highway

i was involved in a crash thjere in which the lady that hit me ran a red light i believe it was caught on camera does any body know if i can get access to the photos if i was not the one breaking the law?

I drove through that trench

I drove through that trench too last week!
I didn't realize that's what was going on there!

White line

Aardvark wrote:

The intersection at NY-109 and New Highway has always had my respect, irregardless of its new RLC. I come off the SSP eastbound and run into that mess. You find yourself in the right turn lane to New Highway. In the meantime, you have cars heading south/east on NY-109 that want to get into your lane to turn right onto New Highway. So while you are watching to see who is going to cut in front of you to make the turn, you also have to deal with trying to merge left to allow cars to make the turn and pay attention to the traffic signal only 100 feet or so from the exit.

This turn has always puzzled me. Doesn't the right lane have a white line on its left, meaning cars already on 109 shouldn't be allowed to enter it to make a right there? The NYS DMV manual says: "Single solid line: You may pass other vehicles or change lanes, but you should do so only if obstructions in the road make it necessary or traffic conditions require it."

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmanual/chapter04-manual.htm

Ambiguous, but sounds like you shouldn't be able to cross the line to get into the right lane just because you wish to.

I Don't Recall

Vanderdecker wrote:

This turn has always puzzled me. Doesn't the right lane have a white line on its left, meaning cars already on 109 shouldn't be allowed to enter it to make a right there?

To be honest, I do not recall and I am away from Long Island this week so I cannot check. However, it would not make any sense for that restriction because the far right lane is both a turn lane and a through traffic lane. It even has a green arrow for when the light is green for New Highway northbound. If cars were not permitted to cross into the far right lane, they would have to turn from the middle lane, potentially in front of cars going straight ahead in the right lane. I have experienced that maneuver several times first hand and it is not a pleasant experience starting to move forward and having a car cross in front of you from the left.

It is definitely a screwed up intersection and could stand some re-engineering.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

.

tom d wrote:

i was involved in a crash thjere in which the lady that hit me ran a red light i believe it was caught on camera does any body know if i can get access to the photos if i was not the one breaking the law?

The easiest thing to do would be to notify your insurance company asap that there is a red light camera there that may have photographed the accident. Then they can do the legwork to get the picture.

I do believe it is public information or at the very least discoverable or FOIL-able. But since you pay insurance premiums, make the notification and let the insurance company handle it. I would document the notification to the insurance company to cover yourself, though (eg, certified mail RRR, fax confirmation, etc.). Good Luck!

I think people are making illegal turns there

Aardvark wrote:

To be honest, I do not recall and I am away from Long Island this week so I cannot check. However, it would not make any sense for that restriction because the far right lane is both a turn lane and a through traffic lane. It even has a green arrow for when the light is green for New Highway northbound. If cars were not permitted to cross into the far right lane, they would have to turn from the middle lane, potentially in front of cars going straight ahead in the right lane. I have experienced that maneuver several times first hand and it is not a pleasant experience starting to move forward and having a car cross in front of you from the left.

Here's the intersection via Google maps satellite view:
http://tinyurl.com/2ataqz4

Assuming that link works OK, you can see that there's a solid white line between the entrance lane (from the Southern State) and the south/east bound 109. Poor planning, or practical limitations, but the implication is that there are no turns permissible from 109 east to New Highway south--only those who exited the parkway can turn.

Why?

I am familiar with the Jericho Tpke (Rte 25) / Pidgeon Hill Road intersection. It is not an accident prone location. It is not a spillback prone location on the east/west side (and only is on the north/south side when commuters are exiting the LIRR station in Huntington). Why is there a red light camera there? Was this Huntington's "piece of the action"?

No Piece of the action

Huntington doesn't get a piece of the action. It is between Suffolk County and the state, since Jericho Tpk. is a state road. If any revenue agreement was reached between them, it has been kept secret from the public.

In my opinion, it was included because many left turns are made there and that is very dangerous due to red light running. Picture yourself in the intersection on Jericho turning left, and because of opposing traffic you cannot turn yet. The light changes to yellow and then red. You can now legally turn, but opposing traffic is still approaching at a fast speed. You have to think whether they will stop or not. In my experience, they do not! shock

dobs108

.

I see your points Dobs, especially if trying to turn left against the evening rush going e/b on 25. BUT, all the more reason for a left turn arrow for traffic on 25. One of several locations that are crying out for them.

Query whether a left turn arrow would be more effective traffic-wise, but less effective revenue-wise, hence the red light camera rather than a green arrow.

Incidentally, I wonder if the lawsuit Huntington recently won on appeal has anything to do with it. NYS Supreme Court Appellate Division 2nd Dept. ruled that the town of Huntington is not responsible for road maintenance -- the county is. [I may be inaccurate on the details, but the town won].

Hey guys, please email me

Hey guys, please email me your new locations instead of posting them in the forums.

In order for POI Factory to work we have to have some subscribing members and if all the info they want is just posted in the forums they have not incentive to support the site.

Miss POI

I merely added my post

so others could confirm/deny the locations. I'm not in most of those areas, but others may be.

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Red Light Camera At the front of the car

The cameras in Islandia (Hauppauge) at exit 57 of the Long Island Expressway (I-495) at LIE North Service Road and South Service Road and Motor Parkway are looking at the front of your car, and depend on the front plate, when you are on Motor Parkway.

The reason is that cameras could not be installed on the bridge across the Expressway to look at the back of the car. People from states with no front plate get a free pass!

dobs108 smile

2 3 4
Page 1>>

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 10 users and 72 guests online.

Online users

  • katsai
  • Juggernaut
  • mcurrence
  • jackj180
  • Evert
  • WAASup
  • mblanc01
  • plunder
  • Impala64
  • dna007