AAA Triptiks

 

anyone here a AAA member?

I just joined this week, and yesterday, I emailed them asking if it was possible to download TripTiks to a GPS, similar to the way you can download routes and waypoints from Mapquest.

they replied that AAA has an exclusive agreement with Magellan.

any Magellan owners tried that?

I have a Garmin nuvi 765T, and was wondering if it is possible to convert whatever format the TripTik is in, to something readable by my nuvi?

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"
Page 1>>

Interesting topic

Will keep my eye on this post.

TripTik for Magellan not Garmin

jim8650 wrote:

anyone here a AAA member?

I just joined this week, and yesterday, I emailed them asking if it was possible to download TripTiks to a GPS, similar to the way you can download routes and waypoints from Mapquest.

they replied that AAA has an exclusive agreement with Magellan.

any Magellan owners tried that?

I have a Garmin nuvi 765T, and was wondering if it is possible to convert whatever format the TripTik is in, to something readable by my nuvi?

I didn't think we talked about hacks in this community, AAA stating they have a exclusive agreement with Magellan and posting for conversion would violate the TOS of whomever posts it, and piracy for anyone using it that doesn't have a Magellan.

Want to use the Trip Tiks, get a Magellan, after all it's a fine GPSr.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

wow

I wasn't asking for a hack, or for someone to post any protected content.

I was just trying to learn about the format.

sorry to have upset you.

won't happen again.

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

I don't understand

how is this a hack if he is an AAA member and is entitled to the TripTik information. He just wants the information in a format he can use.

Agreed

As a paying AAA member, I want that data in a format useful to me. It is certainly not unreasonable for AAA to support the top half-dozen GPS formats.

Now if Magellan is doing all the work, fine - but allow Garmin, TomTom and others to also do the work.

Agreed.... twice

Makes Sense!!

jim8650 wrote: anyone here

jim8650 wrote:

anyone here a AAA member?

I just joined this week, and yesterday, I emailed them asking if it was possible to download TripTiks to a GPS, similar to the way you can download routes and waypoints from Mapquest.

they replied that AAA has an exclusive agreement with Magellan.

any Magellan owners tried that?

I have a Garmin nuvi 765T, and was wondering if it is possible to convert whatever format the TripTik is in, to something readable by my nuvi?

I've been a member of AAA for years and used TripTik a long time. The paper version is not as good as it had been, but I don't see how you could do anything with the on line version either. I can't imagine how you'd save the route. I'm sure it's a proprietary format. I understand they have a financial agreement with Magellan which is their right. It's agreed to when you join in the Membership Agreement. That precludes membership doing more than asking them to change it. After getting my last set of TripTiks I.m not sure I would want their route anyway. With my Nuvi, it recalculates but their paper maps are cast in stone and the ones on the internet need an awful lot of work to change.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

The rest of the story......

jim8650 wrote:

if it was possible to download TripTiks to a GPS, similar to the way you can download routes and waypoints from Mapquest.

they replied that AAA has an exclusive agreement with Magellan.

Right answer....to a different question.

The recent Magellan's (Maestro line) have NO support for importing and exporting routes and stuff like that. I don't know for sure about the older lines.

SO......since AAA has an exclusive contract with Magellan, they won't be involved with features that don't work on Magellan's.

In other words, AAA does not provide TripTiks in a form that is downloadable to ANY GPS, AFAIK.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

But...

...the GUIDE BOOKS supplied with the TRIPTIKS are nice though! wink

Mike

--
Freedom isn't free...thank you veterans! Heard about the tests to detect PANCREATIC CANCER? There aren't any! In Memoriam: #77 NYPD-SCA/Seattle Mike/Joe S./Vinny D./RTC...and God bless Donald Trump!

The guidebook information is the useful part...

Mike L. wrote:

...the GUIDE BOOKS supplied with the TRIPTIKS are nice though! wink

Mike

And AAA is updating the guide book POI information that can be uploaded to the Magellan GPS, at least the 4250 model and before. This is a really great feature and very useful.

As a long term AAA member I would agree with the earlier comments with regard to the paper trip tics - they are no longer as good as they once were. And the last time I tried their on-line version, MapQuest was more accurate. As a result you will be better off with GPS.

TripTiks

I asked our local AAA office who I could contact about the new maps and they said they were told by the AAA powers that they would not do anything to change the maps. I will remember this when renewal comes up in June.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

coordinates

I suggested to AAA that it would be nice if they would post the coordinates for each place they have listed in their tourbooks, both motels and attractions. This wouldn't violate any contract with Magellan and I can't see where it would be that hard to do. In a lot of cases they could probably get the coordinates from the business that advertise in the books. They said it sounded like a great idea, but apparently I was just getting lip service because that was at least a year ago.

Maybe if more members requested it they might carry through with it. If you think about it, if you own a GPS it's getting where AAA has little to offer. The only thing I get from them right now is the tourbooks, and even those don't have all of the motels listed for any given city, only the ones that pay them.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

AAA vs other Routes

I haven't been a Triple-A member since I was in my early twenties, about the time I let the membership lapse while serving in the Army.

That said, several years ago, I had a "TripLink" device from Rand McNally. About the size of a calculator, you went to a website to enter in your trips, then plug the TripLink into the computer to download the route information. That hasn't been supported for at least a few years, but now they've got the website opened up.

http://triplink.randmcnally.com it looks to be similar to the AAA TripTik? Anyone?

I've used the RandMcNally site periodically for routing and trip information.

--
And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum - already in progress . . .

As good as AAA

Airbrushed wrote:

I haven't been a Triple-A member since I was in my early twenties, about the time I let the membership lapse while serving in the Army.

That said, several years ago, I had a "TripLink" device from Rand McNally. About the size of a calculator, you went to a website to enter in your trips, then plug the TripLink into the computer to download the route information. That hasn't been supported for at least a few years, but now they've got the website opened up.

http://triplink.randmcnally.com it looks to be similar to the AAA TripTik? Anyone?

I've used the RandMcNally site periodically for routing and trip information.

As far as I can see trying to use it since I am restricted to dial-up right now, it seems to give maps as good as AAA if not better. The points are numbered and referred to on the maps. It looks like care putting points in carefully and printing gives strips better than the new printed AAA TripTiks. I will bookmark site for use when I can get on Broadband at home. Thanks for the link.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

AAA & Coordinates

Isn't it easier just to pop in the address rather than using to coordinates?

..

I went to that site and I don't see how that would offer any more or less benefit than say mapquest would.
If I'm missing something please let me know.

Anyone know if AAA has their guidebooks online?

..

DonB wrote:

I suggested to AAA that it would be nice if they would post the coordinates for each place they have listed in their tourbooks, both motels and attractions.

Yes, it would be nice, but in slightly more time than creating this post. You could've entered all the addresses from the AAA tourbook, or at least all the ones you're interested in, which should make it just manageable few. Went to

    http://www.batchgeocode.com

and gotten the coordinates (long/lat) to put in your GPS.

Trip Tik

Works only with the Magellan units. I used a Magellan that a friend had and it really worked pretty good. That was a few years ago.

--
John_nuvi_

TripTiks?

Why do you want the AAA triptiks on your Garmin? Do the triptiks provide a better route than what the unit determines? What advantages do they provide?

bkah i hate subjects

jim8650 wrote:

anyone here a AAA member?

I just joined this week, and yesterday, I emailed them asking if it was possible to download TripTiks to a GPS, similar to the way you can download routes and waypoints from Mapquest.

they replied that AAA has an exclusive agreement with Magellan.

any Magellan owners tried that?

I have a Garmin nuvi 765T, and was wondering if it is possible to convert whatever format the TripTik is in, to something readable by my nuvi?

Ok, so i;m wondering - whats the point of TripTek - when you can plan routes with Mapsource/whatever your pc map program on your pc is/your gps?

Ever used a TripTik?

skunkape wrote:

Ok, so i;m wondering - whats the point of TripTek - when you can plan routes with Mapsource/whatever your pc map program on your pc is/your gps?

Ever used a Triptik? They are fairly detailed (or at least they used to be) strip maps that showed the route your personal travel planner laid out. Additional information included construction updates, warnings about enforcement zones, approximate location of rest areas and more improtantly (at least in my estimation) was an overall view of the segment and the surrounding area you just can't get from a GPS screen.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Used Triptiks for Years

Before the GPS, Triptiks were great for trips. Not only providing the route, but information about the area. AAA even highlighted construction zones and speed enforcement areas. The GPS does the route and we have POI files from POI-Factory along with the preloaded points.

The only difference I see is the ability to mark-up the Triptik with comments and file it away.

--
Jim Garmin nuvi 660

never

No never used one

I'll admit though - the construction updates are one thing i REALLY wish Garmin would do. Microsoft does a really good job with that in their streets&trips program, and its a feature i would really like to see garmin put into Mapsource.

Honestly though Closeups of trip segments - i can do that myself pretty easily with the garmin Mapsource software, MS Streets & trips, or Google maps or mapquest.....

more on triptiks

It's been a lot of years since I got them, but TripTiks were abut the size of a folded paper map (4" x 8" or so) and showed about 2 miles on either side of the road you were traveling. Each page covered about 200 miles depending on the area.

Often there was a description of the terrain and some interesting facts about the area. Historical areas were often explained and on a lot of them you could open the tik and it would give additional closeup maps and routing instructions through cities.

AAA would assemble your trip with the different segments, highlight the route and put stamps on the map to indicate construction zones and enforcement areas. Along with the triptik, you always got area maps and at least one map that showed the complete route. Add to that the Tour Books and you had a complete package that covered everything from lodging, dining, sightseeing, and if needed, auto service.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Triptik

The Triptik is still a good backup to have in case your GPS fails. I am an AAA member and got the AAA Triptik and maps for a 3000 mile round trip vacation last winter. But my Garmin worked great and I never unfolded a single page of the AAA materials during the entire trip.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Paper TripTiks

are a great extra for your GPS. We have made many long road trips, including an 14000km/8000mile one last spring, and use a Nuvi and/or TomTom GPS extensively.

The paper based TripTik enhance the GPS experience by offering that great 200/250 mile view per page and the descriptions of the general area, cities and towns that your traveling through.

We wouldn't think of taking a long road trip without a TripTik in the vehicle.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

..

l050606 wrote:

The only difference I see is the ability to mark-up the Triptik with comments and file it away.

Do you download these triptiks? Are they only available hard copy down at the AAA? Triptiks sound to me like a mini AAA tour book geared just for your trip, is this assessment correct? Do the triptiks give the same ratings to hotels enroute as the AAA tour books do? Does AAA still give maps out?

I've tried

to convert to other formats but no go. I use paper when it comes to AAA and program my route by hand.

--
Mike

good experience with AAA

I requested triptiks on my trip before I have GPS. I like the triptiks not just because it marks where you should make turns, what is funny... The great experience came from the knowledge and detailed explanation from AAA consultants who pretty much know where are constructions you should avoid en-route.
One word, I had experiences with them, and still miss those who helped.

AAA does have benefits

The maps and triptiks were outstanding and the consultants knew their stuff. But over the years, these services are less than stellar. I only get the guidebooks now and the updated POI files for my 4250 unit.

The towing is the major reason I keep AAA. They are still the best service for when you are outside of your home area and need a repair. They respond in reasonable time (hour or so) and I have always had great service places recomended even in the middle of nowhere.

Some things degrade, others improve, still worth having.

Some of you haven't used Trip Tiks lately

abin wrote:

I requested triptiks on my trip before I have GPS. I like the triptiks not just because it marks where you should make turns, what is funny... The great experience came from the knowledge and detailed explanation from AAA consultants who pretty much know where are constructions you should avoid en-route.
One word, I had experiences with them, and still miss those who helped.

You'll find your fond memories of them aren't fulfilled any more. They've been cheapened.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

save money, make money

geochapman wrote:
abin wrote:

I requested triptiks on my trip before I have GPS. I like the triptiks not just because it marks where you should make turns, what is funny... The great experience came from the knowledge and detailed explanation from AAA consultants who pretty much know where are constructions you should avoid en-route.
One word, I had experiences with them, and still miss those who helped.

You'll find your fond memories of them aren't fulfilled any more. They've been cheapened.

Same as writing speeding/red light tickets, they use machine to do the job...

Agree

JimmyJames11 wrote:

Why do you want the AAA triptiks on your Garmin? Do the triptiks provide a better route than what the unit determines? What advantages do they provide?

Why would one want to make life so complicated? GPS is the most wonderful human invention in the 21st century and why would one want to go back and live in the pre-GPS era using TripTiks?

I agree it's a good idea to have a backup should a GPS fail. In that case I will just bring two GPS's on the road. I can get a cheap one between 70.00 - 100.00 to use as a backup.

what if

What if all satellite communications to ground fail?
In this case, I would believe no one needs GPSr or anything, just RUN....

Triptik

Netizen2000 wrote:
JimmyJames11 wrote:

Why do you want the AAA triptiks on your Garmin? Do the triptiks provide a better route than what the unit determines? What advantages do they provide?

Why would one want to make life so complicated? GPS is the most wonderful human invention in the 21st century and why would one want to go back and live in the pre-GPS era using TripTiks?

I agree it's a good idea to have a backup should a GPS fail. In that case I will just bring two GPS's on the road. I can get a cheap one between 70.00 - 100.00 to use as a backup.

One issue that I have with the Nuvi (especially my 765t vs the older 680) is that towns are no longer shown on the routing if one zooms to a scale large enough to see where you are going. If you need to know how far the next town is or "do I have enough gas to get there," you now need a real map. It has been really frustrating with the 765T. With my 680, Garmin took away the scale indicator (as well as the North arrow) with my first firmware upgrade. So I could see the towns, but had no idea how far away they were (unless I added one as a via point).

I am taking a cross country trip starting tomorrow, and went to AAA and got blank triptik pages for my itinerary. My intent is to mark them up with things that I want to see, so that I have an overview of the trip as well as an estimate of how far things are from where I am.

Pardon?

geochapman wrote:

You'll find your fond memories of them aren't fulfilled any more. They've been cheapened.

I just picked one up this morning and it looks exactly the same as they have for years. What do you think has been 'cheapened'?

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

online versus AAA office?

Yesterday, I went to the AAA site, and created and printed a TripTik for an upcoming trip to Cherokee NC, to have as a backup to my 765T.

The map that I was presented with, after entering my start and destination info, was very similar to what MapQuest shows, and also allowed me to drag the route to the way I wanted to go.

It then updated the text directions, and allowed me to print the whole thing, maps and directions, approximately 10 pages, which I three hole punched, and put in a report cover to have if I need it.

As others have mentioned in other posts, another advantage of having something like this, is that the 765T does not show upcoming towns along the way on it's display, so this is a nice complementary source of information, should it be needed.

I was surprised that it didn't ask me to log in first, as I thought this service was only available to members, but perhaps a cookie had been set during my last visit to the site, that already provided that info when I loaded the site in the browser.

Can anyone tell me if the TripTik created online, is the same as the one that would be requested at a AAA office?

While I can't send the route to my 765T from the AAA site, like I can from MapQuest, I have already done that from MapQuest, following the steps in Gary Hayman's excellent article.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/page9.htm#mapqu...

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

AAA members

Maybe we as AAA members should lobby AAA to stop the exclusive agreement and broaden its scope to other companies.

retentive

Netizen2000 wrote:
JimmyJames11 wrote:

Why do you want the AAA triptiks on your Garmin? Do the triptiks provide a better route than what the unit determines? What advantages do they provide?

Why would one want to make life so complicated? GPS is the most wonderful human invention in the 21st century and why would one want to go back and live in the pre-GPS era using TripTiks?

I agree it's a good idea to have a backup should a GPS fail. In that case I will just bring two GPS's on the road. I can get a cheap one between 70.00 - 100.00 to use as a backup.

What the word I am looking for.... hmmm oh yes An_l retentive.. a map only costs a couple bucks. I repair GPSr's have many but only carry one at a time. Maps are for backup and fold up and can even go in you back pocket and be close to the part of the name for your type.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

Current TripTiks

t923347 wrote:
geochapman wrote:

You'll find your fond memories of them aren't fulfilled any more. They've been cheapened.

I just picked one up this morning and it looks exactly the same as they have for years. What do you think has been 'cheapened'?

They used to be printed on sheets with information about the area on it and bound better. The last one we got was computer printed, not much different than what I could print from the AAA website. The old ones covered several hundred miles and had mileage marked on the side, the new ones were in smaller segments so it was harder to see the big picture. I do know my local office was not happy about them either but was told that's the way it is. Maybe some local clubs have a different arrangement with the mapping company. That thought hadn't occurred to me before.

--
NUVI 660, Late 2012 iMac, Macbook 2.1 Fall 2008, iPhone6 , Nuvi 3790, iPad2

areas of interest

I liked the old triptiks b/c they included areas of interest for each leg of your trip. That way if you wanted to take a break, you could see something interesting or at least know a little more about the area.

Strange

geochapman wrote:
t923347 wrote:
geochapman wrote:

You'll find your fond memories of them aren't fulfilled any more. They've been cheapened.

I just picked one up this morning and it looks exactly the same as they have for years. What do you think has been 'cheapened'?

They used to be printed on sheets with information about the area on it and bound better. The last one we got was computer printed, not much different than what I could print from the AAA website. The old ones covered several hundred miles and had mileage marked on the side, the new ones were in smaller segments so it was harder to see the big picture. I do know my local office was not happy about them either but was told that's the way it is. Maybe some local clubs have a different arrangement with the mapping company. That thought hadn't occurred to me before.

As I said, our was the same as we have had for many years now. In fact, there was more general information at the front of the package than the one we got for last years trip. You could be right about different clubs having different arrangements.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

But the Guide books are still great

and hainvg the AAA POIs on the Magellan units is a real benefit!

Has anyone tried

the mobile version? I remember seeing an online ad for it. I think it's subscription based.

--
Mike

Access to AAA triptik

I know this is an old post, but there was a discussion about AAA contract with Magellan and if it would be hacking to try and put AAA triptik on a garmin. 3 years later they are now making it available for smart phones, which are probably just as much of a competitor for Magellan. I am not sure how they are justifying not making it available for other GPS's.

Good memory

Triptik is a good memory for me, for sure.

AAA Triptik

That is so last century from when people didn't know what was on the other side of the hill.

I remember asking for one in 1965 during my first trip back to Florida.

Those were the days, no I95 and Pedro was the main attractions with all the signs counting down to South of the border, when you could stop at a fruit stand in Florida and buy oranges or baby alligators.

Who needs GPS!

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Still good

Triptiks and the tourbooks still give more info than my nuvi about my route. Still using them.

--
ChefDon

AAA

Trip Tiks and Tour books are great from AAA. Never travel on car trips without the tour books...A world of information and discounts too.....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

delorme

several years ago Delorme had a product call Map n Go, which included the AAA Guide books.

Page 1>>