7xx 3.x FW bug - "Custom" TourGuide POI Alert - Lock up Issue

 

Has anyone experienced this TG POI Bug?

1: When the unit powers up when a TourGuide alert (or at the TG POI location) is in range, when selecting a new route the unit will lock up everytime you hit "Go" until you get out of the set range of the POI.

2: Also, when a TourGuide POI alert sounds while on a route, select it and touch "Go" to Nav to it, after it finishes calculating the route, touch "Menu" to back out and stop navigation. When navigation is stopped, select View Map; the device will lock up.

The 760 locks up every time under the above TG conditions.
I also reported this to Garmin Tech Support.

Update 7/16/08:
Apparently it is a 7XX family issue.

Confirmed! This is also in v3.10 released 7/8/08?

Thanks!

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic
Page 1>>

TourGuide Bug

I've had a similar lockup problem with my 750 when in the alert range of a TourGuide POI during the power on process. I've had to disable the alerts to get the 750 to power up without locking up.

POI Alert - Power on lock up

Bstpm wrote:

I've had a similar lockup problem with my 750 when in the alert range of a TourGuide POI during the power on process. I've had to disable the alerts to get the 750 to power up without locking up.

Interesting - Thanks for sharing. I too was in range of a TourGuide POI, but my 760 was able to power on normally after it locked up the first time, only when I selected the View Map option it locked again. It took me 3 tries for the unit to operate properly.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

760 POI Bug Update

All,

Garmin Tech Support is currently looking into this issue. I validated that the lock up issue occurs when one is in range of a POI. The unit will display the "View Map" function properly when no POIs are in range.

I will post more information when I hear back from Garmin.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

nuvi 750

I am having the same problem with my nuvi 750 ... if I try to change any settings while within range of an alert, it freezes up and I have to restart it

--
it's the dog's fault

--
Garmin nuvi 2455 - nuvi 350, 260 (spares) - my other toys: IMac quad-core i3, Mac Mini, MacOS: Mojave 10.14.6/Catalina 10.15.2. and introducing The Beast, a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit and his Garmin DriveSmart 5. The dog's name is Ginger.

Bad Doggy!

renegade734 wrote:

I am having the same problem with my nuvi 750 ... if I try to change any settings while within range of an alert, it freezes up and I have to restart it

--
it's the dog's fault

It is apparently in the FW for the 7xx family of units.

Glad to know I'm not alone.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

Thanks.

jrozsnaki wrote:

All,

Garmin Tech Support is currently looking into this issue. I validated that the lock up issue occurs when one is in range of a POI. The unit will display the "View Map" function properly when no POIs are in range.

I will post more information when I hear back from Garmin.

Thanks for the update.

Your Not Alone

Bstpm wrote:

I've had a similar lockup problem with my 750 when in the alert range of a TourGuide POI during the power on process. I've had to disable the alerts to get the 750 to power up without locking up.

I am using the 750 and had both blackouts and screen freezes earlier today after updating to 3.10, bummer !

--
Nüvi 200,750 & Mac OS X

v3.10

Dispatched wrote:
Bstpm wrote:

I've had a similar lockup problem with my 750 when in the alert range of a TourGuide POI during the power on process. I've had to disable the alerts to get the 750 to power up without locking up.

I am using the 750 and had both blackouts and screen freezes earlier today after updating to 3.10, bummer !

Thanks - I will let my contact at Garmin know.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

^^^ thanks

^^^ thanks

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

Update:

Update: 8/5/08

I had a good chat with Garmin Tech support - very helpful at Garmin. Anyway, they are going to internally fast track this into the product dev team. Hopefully it will be in the next FW update.

More to come!

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

I have the same issue...

I have the same issue. I had an alert programmed for home locations, but have since moved the alert one block away from these locations to prevent the lock up.

Let Garmin know

FPichon wrote:

I have the same issue. I had an alert programmed for home locations, but have since moved the alert one block away from these locations to prevent the lock up.

I would suggest that anyone else having this issue should call Garmin tech support and open up a ticket number. It may get resolved in a more timely manner if more people report the bug issue.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

Yes.

Yes I do experiencing the exact same problem here.
I have nuvi 760 with latest FW. It locks up when I turn on my unit while I am within the TG alert area.
Whenever I hit go button, the unit shuts off itself, or the screen freezes.
Was this happening with old FW too?

3.x too

thelinux wrote:

Yes I do experiencing the exact same problem here.
I have nuvi 760 with latest FW. It locks up when I turn on my unit while I am within the TG alert area.
Whenever I hit go button, the unit shuts off itself, or the screen freezes.
Was this happening with old FW too?

Yes - that's what the 3.x indicates. I noticed it first with v3.0 and was still there with v3.1 released on 7/8/08

Please report this to Garmin tech support.

Thanks!

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

Frustrated with 3.10

jrozsnaki Wrote:

Quote:

I would suggest that anyone else having this issue should call Garmin tech support and open up a ticket number. It may get resolved in a more timely manner if more people report the bug issue.

I experienced the lock up with software version 3.10 and while using an alert for any poi I have. I have called Garmin today and the best they can do is look into it. I since went back to 3.00 which fixes the problem.

***Call it wishful thinking, but the more complaints they get on this issue the quicker this should get resolved.***

--
nüvi 3590LMT "always backup your files"

RE: Frustrated

bandaid wrote:

jrozsnaki Wrote:

Quote:

I would suggest that anyone else having this issue should call Garmin tech support and open up a ticket number. It may get resolved in a more timely manner if more people report the bug issue.

I experienced the lock up with software version 3.10 and while using an alert for any poi I have. I have called Garmin today and the best they can do is look into it. I since went back to 3.00 which fixes the problem.

***Call it wishful thinking, but the more complaints they get on this issue the quicker this should get resolved.***

I first noticed this with v3.0. It caried into v3.10

What unit do you have?

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

I have version 3.0, and a

I have version 3.0, and a NUVI 760.. I have custom POI's with the audible alerts... Anyways my wife took my unit and when the unit started the alert, she pushed the icon and the screen locked up... sad I guess either Garmin fixes it or I have to take the alerts off.. Any other advice will be appreiated.

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

No work arounds

rpm4 wrote:

I have version 3.0, and a NUVI 760.. I have custom POI's with the audible alerts... Anyways my wife took my unit and when the unit started the alert, she pushed the icon and the screen locked up... sad I guess either Garmin fixes it or I have to take the alerts off.. Any other advice will be appreiated.

rpm,

I would use the tech support site to email Garmin to report the issue - include the link to this thread too. They will respond with a ticket number that you can reference. This is the only way I know to get it in front of the developers for the next FW revision.

Personally I don't have many POIs set for places that I go in my home area. If I do, I wait until I am out of range before I hit the view map touch area.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

locking up

i did a firm ware update to 3.10, then it started to lock up - had to send it in to garmin and they sent me another 760. this new unit did not allow me to set up bluetooth & had to return that one - mabe it'll be sent back fixed now. i had to use my nuvi 680 to go on vacation - i waa a little miffed.

--
marnoldi Nuvi 680 & Nuvi 2797LMT

Software Problem

jrozsnaki wrote:
bandaid wrote:

jrozsnaki Wrote:

Quote:

I would suggest that anyone else having this issue should call Garmin tech support and open up a ticket number. It may get resolved in a more timely manner if more people report the bug issue.

I experienced the lock up with software version 3.10 and while using an alert for any poi I have. I have called Garmin today and the best they can do is look into it. I since went back to 3.00 which fixes the problem.

***Call it wishful thinking, but the more complaints they get on this issue the quicker this should get resolved.***

I have my 750 updated with 3.10 and while I don't use any TourGuide POI's, I have had no other problems with my normal alerts, red lights, speed traps, etc. No freeze ups at all. Hope they fix it.

I first noticed this with v3.0. It caried into v3.10

What unit do you have?

--
Nuvi 50LM Nuvi 2555LM

I talked to a Garmin rep

jrozsnaki wrote:
rpm4 wrote:

I have version 3.0, and a NUVI 760.. I have custom POI's with the audible alerts... Anyways my wife took my unit and when the unit started the alert, she pushed the icon and the screen locked up... sad I guess either Garmin fixes it or I have to take the alerts off.. Any other advice will be appreiated.

rpm,

I would use the tech support site to email Garmin to report the issue - include the link to this thread too. They will respond with a ticket number that you can reference. This is the only way I know to get it in front of the developers for the next FW revision.

Personally I don't have many POIs set for places that I go in my home area. If I do, I wait until I am out of range before I hit the view map touch area.

And she told me that she has not heard of the problem.... sad

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

e-mail is better

rpm4 wrote:
jrozsnaki wrote:
rpm4 wrote:

I have version 3.0, and a NUVI 760.. I have custom POI's with the audible alerts... Anyways my wife took my unit and when the unit started the alert, she pushed the icon and the screen locked up... sad I guess either Garmin fixes it or I have to take the alerts off.. Any other advice will be appreiated.

rpm,

I would use the tech support site to email Garmin to report the issue - include the link to this thread too. They will respond with a ticket number that you can reference. This is the only way I know to get it in front of the developers for the next FW revision.

Personally I don't have many POIs set for places that I go in my home area. If I do, I wait until I am out of range before I hit the view map touch area.

And she told me that she has not heard of the problem.... sad

I too found that it is useless to speak to a person - use the email route - it yields better results.

JRoz

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

I did both

jrozsnaki wrote:
rpm4 wrote:
jrozsnaki wrote:
rpm4 wrote:

I have version 3.0, and a NUVI 760.. I have custom POI's with the audible alerts... Anyways my wife took my unit and when the unit started the alert, she pushed the icon and the screen locked up... sad I guess either Garmin fixes it or I have to take the alerts off.. Any other advice will be appreiated.

rpm,

I would use the tech support site to email Garmin to report the issue - include the link to this thread too. They will respond with a ticket number that you can reference. This is the only way I know to get it in front of the developers for the next FW revision.

Personally I don't have many POIs set for places that I go in my home area. If I do, I wait until I am out of range before I hit the view map touch area.

And she told me that she has not heard of the problem.... sad

I too found that it is useless to speak to a person - use the email route - it yields better results.

JRoz

I called back again and was talking to a guy at Garmin. He too, was unaware of the 760 locking up but told he would send a report to the engineers.. I also emailed customer service.

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

This is what it is going to take...

rpm4 wrote:
jrozsnaki wrote:
rpm4 wrote:
jrozsnaki wrote:
rpm4 wrote:

I have version 3.0, and a NUVI 760.. I have custom POI's with the audible alerts... Anyways my wife took my unit and when the unit started the alert, she pushed the icon and the screen locked up... sad I guess either Garmin fixes it or I have to take the alerts off.. Any other advice will be appreiated.

rpm,

I would use the tech support site to email Garmin to report the issue - include the link to this thread too. They will respond with a ticket number that you can reference. This is the only way I know to get it in front of the developers for the next FW revision.

Personally I don't have many POIs set for places that I go in my home area. If I do, I wait until I am out of range before I hit the view map touch area.

And she told me that she has not heard of the problem.... sad

I too found that it is useless to speak to a person - use the email route - it yields better results.

JRoz

I called back again and was talking to a guy at Garmin. He too, was unaware of the 760 locking up but told he would send a report to the engineers.. I also emailed customer service.

Thanks! This is what it is going to take for a resolution. The more people that report it the better the chances the fix will be in the next FW update.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

Hit Garmin In The Wallet

If Garmin isn't going to take your issue seriously, which seems to be the case, then maybe we could escalate the issue to get it resolved.

Garmin has been promoting it's TourGuide and developer software to websites and companies. If these entities became aware that TourGuides freeze the GPS then maybe they would pressure Garmin to issue a fix.

So maybe the solution is to contact companies that sell/produce TourGuides and inform them of the issue. And then ask them to contact Garmin to request a fix.

Great Idea! Let's make it happen!

GadgetGuy2008 wrote:

If Garmin isn't going to take your issue seriously, which seems to be the case, then maybe we could escalate the issue to get it resolved.

Garmin has been promoting it's TourGuide and developer software to websites and companies. If these entities became aware that TourGuides freeze the GPS then maybe they would pressure Garmin to issue a fix.

So maybe the solution is to contact companies that sell/produce TourGuides and inform them of the issue. And then ask them to contact Garmin to request a fix.

I like this idea - Through experimentation, I found that this error occurs if the TG is gpx or csv.

So this may be what Garmin will listen to.

Let's make it happen!

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

760 lock up

I just called Garmin about my 760 locking up and he (Joel) told me he had never heard of the problem before.
>
Sounds like Garmin is in denial about the issue.
>
I would like to see how many of you have this problem and reported it to garin.
>
If all of you could post your unit type (i.e nuvi750, 760) and whom you spoke to on a list so it can be sent to Garmin to try to get an answer of why they are denying the issue exist.
>
I don't known how to set up a list on the site so if anyone knows I would like to know so one can be made to send to Garmin.
>
IT'S TIME FOR ACTION FROM GARMIN!

--
Go Figure--Nuvi880

This is the email I got from Garmin

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Can you please send me
the custom POI file with the audible alert to see if we can duplicate
the issue?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

Here is my initial case number . . .

bubbapoi wrote:

I just called Garmin about my 760 locking up and he (Joel) told me he had never heard of the problem before.
>
Sounds like Garmin is in denial about the issue.
>
I would like to see how many of you have this problem and reported it to garin.
>
If all of you could post your unit type (i.e nuvi750, 760) and whom you spoke to on a list so it can be sent to Garmin to try to get an answer of why they are denying the issue exist.
>
I don't known how to set up a list on the site so if anyone knows I would like to know so one can be made to send to Garmin.
>
IT'S TIME FOR ACTION FROM GARMIN!

bubba,

Here is my initial case number: KMM3864670I15977L0KM

I also sent you the email from Joe - the guy that responded to my initial email.

My email to them tonight:

****
Product Support,

I have sent emails asking for an update to this issue. I have even called along with several others and it appears none of you are aware of this and it keeps getting swept under the carpet.

When a TourGuide POI alert is in range and the unit is powered on or when an alternate route is selected when a TourGuide POI alert is in range and you hit the "GO" button the unit continually resets or locks up. When the POI is out of range, the unit will function normally.

Please see the link below, as this discussion is growing and many Garmin customers are dissatisfied with the lack of support we are getting from you regarding this issue. It happens with version 3.0 and 3.1 and with the 760 and 750 units.

Please escalate this to the developers for a fix in the next firmware update.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/15349

I appreciate any help that you can give for a speedy resolution, as this issue is escalating very fast on the POI factory site and word is getting out fast.

Thank you,

Joe

****

Since the contact support web reporting portal appears to be non-functional, I encourage everyone to email customer support at

ProductSupport@garmin.com

Maybe we'll get a resolution if enough people report it, and ask for updates once a week. In other words, we have to be like a pesky gnat that will not go away.

JRoz

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

I received an email from Support yesterday

I used the Garmin tech support form to report my case. As you all know, their form appears not to work. However, I received a reply from tech support yesterday, asking:

'What type of alerts is this happening within? were they alerts loaded through our mapsource program, or alerts loaded through the custom POI loader application?'

I explained that I use the POI loader and referred the support rep to this thread, which I discovered a couple of days ago.

So, it appears that Garmin is indeed looking at this issue.

Thomas

Add Nuvi 770 to the list with Nuvi 750,760

jrozsnaki wrote:
bubbapoi wrote:

I just called Garmin about my 760 locking up and he (Joel) told me he had never heard of the problem before.
>
Sounds like Garmin is in denial about the issue.
>
I would like to see how many of you have this problem and reported it to garin.
>
If all of you could post your unit type (i.e nuvi750, 760) and whom you spoke to on a list so it can be sent to Garmin to try to get an answer of why they are denying the issue exist.
>
I don't known how to set up a list on the site so if anyone knows I would like to know so one can be made to send to Garmin.
>
IT'S TIME FOR ACTION FROM GARMIN!

bubba,

Here is my initial case number: KMM3864670I15977L0KM

I also sent you the email from Joe - the guy that responded to my initial email.

My email to them tonight:

****
Product Support,

I have sent emails asking for an update to this issue. I have even called along with several others and it appears none of you are aware of this and it keeps getting swept under the carpet.

When a TourGuide POI alert is in range and the unit is powered on or when an alternate route is selected when a TourGuide POI alert is in range and you hit the "GO" button the unit continually resets or locks up. When the POI is out of range, the unit will function normally.

Please see the link below, as this discussion is growing and many Garmin customers are dissatisfied with the lack of support we are getting from you regarding this issue. It happens with version 3.0 and 3.1 and with the 760 and 750 units.

Please escalate this to the developers for a fix in the next firmware update.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/15349

I appreciate any help that you can give for a speedy resolution, as this issue is escalating very fast on the POI factory site and word is getting out fast.

Thank you,

Joe

****

Since the contact support web reporting portal appears to be non-functional, I encourage everyone to email customer support at

ProductSupport@garmin.com

Maybe we'll get a resolution if enough people report it, and ask for updates once a week. In other words, we have to be like a pesky gnat that will not go away.

JRoz

JRoz;

You can also add the Nuvi 770 to the list of units that lock up if a POI tourguide alert is in range while using 3.0 and 3.1. I too called Garmin yesterday, and the tech support woman I spoke with also said she or the software person she consulted with while I was on hold was not aware of any "Lock up" problems, but they DID know the new POI loader had caused some issues. When I asked if they could send me a link to download the older software, she said it was a legal issue and that Garmin can't keep the older verisons of software onhand. How odd is that? Anyway she mentioned the Perry site that I already had a link to. I asked her for the link because I think the site was having issued on Thursday and I could NOT get Ver 2.9 to exe. The download worked out fine, but when I went to install it, I got some sort of error saying that it was not a FAT32 file and that it was not compatible. When I downloaded it again the next day, it worked and I'm now back to using version 2.9 and I don't have any lock ups now. You are right, Garmin "software" techs are in denial. My hats off to the general tech support people, but I also know they are told by software tech people what to convey to us. I really wish they'd spend more time getting the software to work properly instead of coming up with newer units. It almost seems like new units come out every couple of months. We owners of units that are having problems are anxious to get updates that will make our GPSf's perform better, only to have the updates cause more or newer problems. Garmin, I really love the Nuvi, but I think you are slipping behind because of the software issues.

Busted in Bolingbrook,
Ray

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

the Perry site

please supply the link to the perry site

--
marnoldi Nuvi 680 & Nuvi 2797LMT

As per request from marnoldi

marnoldi wrote:

please supply the link to the perry site

http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

.

If this is just happening with TourGuide alerts, wouldn't it be a simple temporary fix to just not load any TourGuide alerts?

Am I missing something else?

Another simple way !!!!!

Motorcycle Mama wrote:

If this is just happening with TourGuide alerts, wouldn't it be a simple temporary fix to just not load any TourGuide alerts?

Am I missing something else?

No your not missing anything.

Another way to temporary avoid this to to go to:
TOOLS >> SETTINGS >> PROXIMITY POINTS >> TourGuide

and turn TourGuide OFF, or to PROMPT !!!

With PROMPT it TourGuide still works, but you have to touch the TourGuide Speaker Icon on the Map

It works, I tested it on my 750

--
"Those that stop and smell the roses, must realize that once in awhile you may get a whiff of fertilizer."..copyright:HDHannah1986 -Mercedes GPS - UCONNECT 430N Chrysler T&C - Nuvi 2598- Nuni2555 - Nuvi855 - Nuvi295W - Nuvi 750 - Ique 3600

Enough Information to Pinpoint the Bug

Quote:

With PROMPT it TourGuide still works, but you have to touch the TourGuide Speaker Icon on the Map

It works, I tested it on my 750

There's more than enough information in this thread to help Garmin software developers pinpoint the bug in the code. H Hannah's clue alone would be a great help. I wonder if they're just spread out so thin because of the many models they have to support?

Nuvi 760 lockup

I had the Nuvi lock up 3 or 4 times on my last trip. A reboot seems to solve the problem for a while. I'm not sure what causes it but I have many custom POI's loaded.

I don't use TourGuides

Motorcycle Mama wrote:

If this is just happening with TourGuide alerts, wouldn't it be a simple temporary fix to just not load any TourGuide alerts?

This is a little off this topic but my 760 "locked-up" in navigation mode, I was about a mile from my destination. I turned it off, re-entered my destination and continued to my destination. It has only happened once... rolleyes

The point being, I believe this is a wider spread issue than just when you use TourGuides with the 7xx series… shock

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Lock up and or reset

gadler wrote:

I had the Nuvi lock up 3 or 4 times on my last trip. A reboot seems to solve the problem for a while. I'm not sure what causes it but I have many custom POI's loaded.

It appears to be narrowed down to a POI in range issue. When either powering on or navigating to an alternate point while in range of a custom TourGuide POI - the unit locks up or resets when you hit "Go" to calculate the new route.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

Correction to my post

Motorcycle Mama wrote:

If this is just happening with TourGuide alerts, wouldn't it be a simple temporary fix to just not load any TourGuide alerts?

Am I missing something else?

after re reading the last few posts I have a correction to make about my recent post (Add Nuvi 770 to the list with Nuvi 750,760) Somehow I got in the habit of using the word Tour Guide in this post and after some research I find I have not loaded any "Tour Guides" into my Nuvi 770, so the fact remains I was still getting locked up with just custom POI's when I turned the unit on and one was within range. So this issue had nothing to do with the Tour Guide, but the unit software itself. As I said, I am now using 2.9 and the lock ups have stopped.

Hope this helps,
Rayzers

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

760 Lock Up

I cleared all custom poi files that I down loaded onto unit and reset (reboot) the unit to origial settings. Went for a short ride didn't have any problems.
>
Came back loaded back the poi files and turned off the tour guides which are not located in my area anyway. Went for a drive using the same route and locked up.
>
I guess the unit has problems with the custom POI
files. The files are the same one's that I used on my 660 so there should be OK.

--
Go Figure--Nuvi880

Data needed to fix the problem.

Bubbapoi,

Did you notice just where on your route the 760 locked up? Also did you look to see what POIs were triggered when the 760 locked up?

If you want Garmin to fix your problem these are things you need to tell them. They can't fix anything unless they can duplicate the trouble. And it is up to you to provide the data needed.

Just saying I was driving around on my route and it locked up really doesn't mean anything without the data of just what was going on at the time of the failure.

--
"Those that stop and smell the roses, must realize that once in awhile you may get a whiff of fertilizer."..copyright:HDHannah1986 -Mercedes GPS - UCONNECT 430N Chrysler T&C - Nuvi 2598- Nuni2555 - Nuvi855 - Nuvi295W - Nuvi 750 - Ique 3600

Mine locked up when navigating to a favorite..

I picked a location that I had looked up and saved as a favorite, and pressed go... It froze about a mile from the destination as I was exiting a freeway.. I think I was playing mp3s at the time... rolleyes

Edit: So does that mean that playing mp3s may have something to do with it?

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Maybe wider spread than just tour guides

I have no tour guides installed. After I updated to 3.1 on my 750, it would lock up repeatedly - up to 3-4 times during a 10 minute trip. I'm back at 3.0 again - no problems since the downgrade.

Any in range

H Hannah wrote:

Bubbapoi,

Did you notice just where on your route the 760 locked up? Also did you look to see what POIs were triggered when the 760 locked up?

If you want Garmin to fix your problem these are things you need to tell them. They can't fix anything unless they can duplicate the trouble. And it is up to you to provide the data needed.

Just saying I was driving around on my route and it locked up really doesn't mean anything without the data of just what was going on at the time of the failure.

It does not matter - any TourGuide POI in range when the "Go" button is selected to nav to a location will force a reset or lock up the unit until you are out of rang of a POI.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

MP3s

aophiuchus wrote:

I picked a location that I had looked up and saved as a favorite, and pressed go... It froze about a mile from the destination as I was exiting a freeway.. I think I was playing mp3s at the time... rolleyes

Edit: So does that mean that playing mp3s may have something to do with it?

MP3s while in route etc work fine - when a POI is in range, it is another story.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

Been there done that too!

bubbapoi wrote:

I cleared all custom poi files that I down loaded onto unit and reset (reboot) the unit to origial settings. Went for a short ride didn't have any problems.
>
Came back loaded back the poi files and turned off the tour guides which are not located in my area anyway. Went for a drive using the same route and locked up.
>
I guess the unit has problems with the custom POI
files. The files are the same one's that I used on my 660 so there should be OK.

I too did all of this before I initially reported the POI issue.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

I'm awaiting another email

I'm awaiting another email from Garmin.. They wanted me to send the custon poi and alert and thats what I did. I will keep the baord updated.

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

NUVI 760 lockup

i just had my 760 returned to me - they sent me a new unit serl# and had 2009 map, + route 66; mad maps
to register i had to do an update (from fw 2.90 to 3.10) naturally i did a save the whole unit before to my computer

--
marnoldi Nuvi 680 & Nuvi 2797LMT

Reply to Jrozsnaki

jrozsnaki wrote:

It does not matter - any TourGuide POI in range when the "Go" button is selected to nav to a location will force a reset or lock up the unit until you are out of rang of a POI.

Jrozsnaki,

I think if you will READ what Bubbapoi wrote, he said he was NOT using TourGuides !!!

He said the problem was with just CUSTOM POIs.

So if that is the case he needs to document just what was happening at the time of the lockup.

His problem doesn't seem to be caused by TourGuides.

The one thing custom POIs with alerts and TourGuides is that they all use the MP3 Played. But all this needs to be documented!!!!!!!

--
"Those that stop and smell the roses, must realize that once in awhile you may get a whiff of fertilizer."..copyright:HDHannah1986 -Mercedes GPS - UCONNECT 430N Chrysler T&C - Nuvi 2598- Nuni2555 - Nuvi855 - Nuvi295W - Nuvi 750 - Ique 3600
Page 1>>