Garmin City Navigator 2023.20

 
<<Page 2>>

Yep

Install to GPS won't install BaseCamp

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart51LMT-S, DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

I think

CraigW wrote:
KenSny wrote:

I don't think there's any compelling reason to do that.
My biggest reason for not doing is because GE will install BaseCamp again, and I don't wnat, or need, that.

It's been a long time since I haven't had Basecamp but I think Basecamp installs only if you ask the map update to install to the GPS & computer, or to computer alone. If you accept the default "install to GPS," I don't think Basecamp is installed on your computer.

I think we were talking about downloading it to the PC, so BaseCamp will get installed.

And it really doesn't matter because I am not going to download it to the PC and let it just sit there and wait. No reason to do that. I can do without this update.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Old downloaded files

Thanks I always forget to do this, thanks for the reminder

--
Garmin Nuvi 765T, Garmin Drive 60LM

Old Files

Deleted all mine just now.

Canada & Mexico Map Install

alandb wrote:
CraigW wrote:
soberbyker wrote:

I have a Drivesmart 61. on the "my maps" you can see what appears to be two maps, all of the US & all of Mexico and Canada, two listings as you can see in this photo:

https://i.postimg.cc/sgz5rLBt/292759240-708918713511161-5615...

However, when search my 'hidden' directory I found only one "gmapprom.img" file?

So is it two maps or one?

I connected my DriveLuxe 51 to my PC and searched the entire device, first for any file starting gmap, then searching for any file containing .img.

The search for files starting with gmap yielded no likely files.

For .img files, I found six, and excluding the basemap, time zone, and gmapprom.img USA mapfile, that leaves three files. Assuming Canada/Mexico is a large file, the most likely candidates are D9644010A.img in the Map folder which is 0.98GB. There's also in the .system's Map folder, D4919260A.img at 98.6MB, as well as the D6460190A.img file at 33.9MB. These three files could be the Canada/Mexico map, the Parkopedia "map" and the Foursquare "map."

Maybe someone could try renaming each of these "D" files, one at a time, then booting the GPS to see if the Canada/Mexico map, Parko, and Foursq "maps" disappear in the device's myMaps screen. I'm not going to try this since I don't know what the effect would be on my DL 51 and don't want to take the risk.

I am pretty sure the D9644010A.img in the Map folder is the Canada & Mexico map as that file shows up on the nuvi 3597 for this update. The other two "D" maps are not on the 3597 which does not have the Parkopedia and Foursquare features.

1) I installed the "FULL" CN NA map (with Large JCV files) using the clone method (and like everyone else only got the US map).
2) I copied the following files to the nüvi 855 internal storage:
Copy [3597 μSD]:MapD9644010A.img to [855]:Garmingmapprom.img
Copy [855 μSD]:Garmingmapsupp.gma to [855]:Garmingmapprom.gma
Copy [855 μSD]:Garmingmapsupp.unl to [855]:Garmingmapprom.unl
(Also appears to work if files are renamed gmapsupp.*)
(The D9644010A.img file is the Canada/Mexico map installed on my nüvi 3597)

3) Rebooted the nüvi 855 (updates the GarminDevice.xml file)

4) Map Info Shows Two Maps:
CN North America NT 2023.20 ALL US
CN North America NT 2023.20 None

US map is on nüvi 855 μSD card and Canada/Mexico is on nüvi 855 internal storage.
I haven't tried Voice Commands, but Junction View works with both US and Canada/Mexico.
Garmin Base Camp fails to load the US map from the μSD, but is able to load the Canada/Mexico map from internal storage.
Mark

Download vs Install

KenSny wrote:

I think we were talking about downloading it to the PC, so BaseCamp will get installed.

And it really doesn't matter because I am not going to download it to the PC and let it just sit there and wait. No reason to do that. I can do without this update.

Yes, the map update files for a GPS device are downloaded to the computer for installation in the device.

But Basecamp (if needed) and the map update do not install to the computer to be used. I think it's even possible/probable that Basecamp is not even downloaded to the computer if the default "Install to device" is chosen with Garmin Express.

It's certainly OK to not install every update. I do hope you install an update to each Garmin GPS you own within 24 months of the previous update so that your map updates do not expire.

The downloaded files for a map update can be deleted to free space as is mentioned quite often each time a map update is issued.

Very interesting ...

and very creative solution. I will have to give this a try! Thanks for your work and for posting it!

baumback wrote:

1) I installed the "FULL" CN NA map (with Large JCV files) using the clone method (and like everyone else only got the US map).
2) I copied the following files to the nüvi 855 internal storage:
Copy [3597 μSD]:\Map\D9644010A.img to [855]:\Garmin\gmapprom.img
Copy [855 μSD]:\Garmin\gmapsupp.gma to [855]:\Garmin\gmapprom.gma
Copy [855 μSD]:\Garmin\gmapsupp.unl to [855]:\Garmin\gmapprom.unl
(Also appears to work if files are renamed gmapsupp.*)
(The D9644010A.img file is the Canada/Mexico map installed on my nüvi 3597)

3) Rebooted the nüvi 855 (updates the GarminDevice.xml file)

4) Map Info Shows Two Maps:
CN North America NT 2023.20 ALL US
CN North America NT 2023.20 None

US map is on nüvi 855 μSD card and Canada/Mexico is on nüvi 855 internal storage.
I haven't tried Voice Commands, but Junction View works with both US and Canada/Mexico.
Garmin Base Camp fails to load the US map from the μSD, but is able to load the Canada/Mexico map from internal storage.
Mark

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Agree to Disagree

CraigW wrote:
KenSny wrote:

I think we were talking about downloading it to the PC, so BaseCamp will get installed.

And it really doesn't matter because I am not going to download it to the PC and let it just sit there and wait. No reason to do that. I can do without this update.

Yes, the map update files for a GPS device are downloaded to the computer for installation in the device.

But Basecamp (if needed) and the map update do not install to the computer to be used. I think it's even possible/probable that Basecamp is not even downloaded to the computer if the default "Install to device" is chosen with Garmin Express.

It's certainly OK to not install every update. I do hope you install an update to each Garmin GPS you own within 24 months of the previous update so that your map updates do not expire.

The downloaded files for a map update can be deleted to free space as is mentioned quite often each time a map update is issued.

From GE Installation Options:
Second paragraph: ...... When you chose to install files to your computer, you will be installing Garmin BaseCamp in addition to map updates.

Select where you would like to install the files.
choices:
Device Only
Computer and Device
Computer only

So it would seem that downloading the map for later use, you would select one of the computer options. And BaseCamp gets installed.

This has been my experience with option 2 & 3.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

BaseCamp

sussamb wrote:

Install to GPS won't install BaseCamp

No issues installing to BaseCamp when selecting the option in Garmin Express to install both to the Garmin Nuvi and to the computer. On Windows the default install location was: C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\

Post install the updated map shows in Basecamp with the following location:
C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\City_Navigator_North_America_NT_2023_20.gmap

Well

In those circumstances BaseCamp will be installed if not already present.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart51LMT-S, DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Thanks

Thank you. Updating now.

--
Garmin Nuvi 2450

fantastic

Updated all 3 Garmins, just in time for a long summer road trip!

--
___________________ Garmin 2455, 855, Oregon 550t

not enough memory

the sd card on my nuvi 1450 was to small so i got a 32 gig sd card pluged it i went to update and it couldnt find my sd card, so i unpluged my sd card and put it back in and it worked and everything seems ok map was updated . i will use it in a day or two and see ! i think the nuvi 1450 came out in 2009

Another 2023.20 ???

I had updated my nuvi 2689 and a 265WT a few days ago to what appeared to be 2023.20, at least that is what both units said on checking. However, I just went into GE to find two updates:

2023.20 City Navigator for North America

Time Zone Map version 30.00.

ADDED INFO AFTER UPDATE

nuvi 2689 shows the following maps

CN North America NT
2320.20 ALL Canada & Mexico

CN North America NT
2320.20 ALL US

CN North America NT
2320.20 Foursquare

--
John from PA

just what I wanted

Another challenge - getting 2 files on the card. I have an *GB so maybe I won't have a problem.

Downloaded

Thanks for the notice.

No problems

Just installed 2023.20 with no problems. Took about35 minutes which is pretty darn good compared with the time it used to take to install maps. Remember ten or so years ago when a map install took a couple of hours? Or the problems that seemed to crop up with the new maps? It took them a while, but Garmin seems to have this process down to a science.

Phil

--
"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."

This does work to Get Canada/Mexico or Full NA!

alandb wrote:

and very creative solution. I will have to give this a try! Thanks for your work and for posting it!

baumback wrote:

1) I installed the "FULL" CN NA map (with Large JCV files) using the clone method (and like everyone else only got the US map).
2) I copied the following files to the nüvi 855 internal storage:
Copy [3597 μSD]:\Map\D9644010A.img to [855]:\Garmin\gmapprom.img
Copy [855 μSD]:\Garmin\gmapsupp.gma to [855]:Garmingmapprom.gma
Copy [855 μSD]:\Garmin\gmapsupp.unl to [855]:\Garmin\gmapprom.unl
(Also appears to work if files are renamed gmapsupp.*)
(The D9644010A.img file is the Canada/Mexico map installed on my nüvi 3597)

3) Rebooted the nüvi 855 (updates the GarminDevice.xml file)

4) Map Info Shows Two Maps:
CN North America NT 2023.20 ALL US
CN North America NT 2023.20 None

US map is on nüvi 855 μSD card and Canada/Mexico is on nüvi 855 internal storage.
I haven't tried Voice Commands, but Junction View works with both US and Canada/Mexico.
Garmin Base Camp fails to load the US map from the μSD, but is able to load the Canada/Mexico map from internal storage.
Mark

Ok, I tried baumback's solution on my old nuvi 755T. It worked like a charm, allowing me to get the full CN NA 2023.20 map (both files) on this ancient device. The only difference I have with baumback's results is that the MapInfo menu actually shows the installed map as "Canada and Mexico", not as "None" like he found with his 855. I haven't tried this yet on my nuvi 855 but plan to do so and will report the results.

I simulated a route through Canada and am getting full map detail including hi-res junction views!

I am surprised that using the renamed .gma and .unl files from the other map segment (All US) also unlocks the Canada & Mexico map segment ... but thankfully it does. For those that might be getting "up in arms" about pirating, this is not pirating. We have paid lifetime subscriptions on these devices for full North America maps.

This solution could also be used to substitute the Canada and Mexico map file for the All US map file for those users who reside in those regions, assuming they have access to the D9644010A.img file from some other device.

Baumback, you're a genius and maybe you will get next week's COW award. I don't think I would have thought to even try this solution. Thanks again for your work and for posting this work around!

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Agreed

alandb wrote:

I am surprised that using the renamed .gma and .unl files from the other map segment (All US) also unlocks the Canada & Mexico map segment ... but thankfully it does. For those that might be getting "up in arms" about pirating, this is not pirating. We have paid lifetime subscriptions on these devices for full North America maps.

This solution could also be used to substitute the Canada and Mexico map file for the All US map file for those users who reside in those regions, assuming they have access to the D9644010A.img file from some other device.

Baumback, you're a genius and maybe you will get next week's COW award. I don't think I would have thought to even try this solution. Thanks again for your work and for posting this work around!

I agree and now with a second confirmation, accept that what I thought wouldn't work, does work! Ditto for it now giving a way to substitute C/M for USA.

Double ditto for the COW thought.

Baumback's Canada&Mexico workaround.

One thing I may give as a caution to those who might be thinking of trying this on older devices like StreetPilot or nuvi 3xx/6xx devices is that the solution doesn't eliminate the problem of the 2 GB file size limit and file naming restrictions. I don't even know if this unl/gma renaming will work on these devices. But even if it did, to get all NA on these devices, you would need 3 files, each remaining less than 2 GB in size, one in internal storage and two on SD. I don't think the limitations on those devices will allow that, although I invite anyone who has one to prove me wrong.

As I have already stated in my cloning FAQ, cloning doesn't solve the problem on these devices. For these old devices with Lifetime Map subscriptions and the 2 GB restriction, the best solution is to first install to computer, then use MapInstall to install the largest file you can to internal storage, then install as many remaining regions as you can to SD card, keeping the SD card file size below 2 GB. It won't be all of the NA map, but is the best you can hope for IMO.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

new map

will download

More Than Three Map Files

alandb wrote:

One thing I may give as a caution to those who might be thinking of trying this on older devices like StreetPilot or nuvi 3xx/6xx devices is that the solution doesn't eliminate the problem of the 2 GB file size limit and file naming restrictions. I don't even know if this unl/gma renaming will work on these devices. But even if it did, to get all NA on these devices, you would need 3 files, each remaining less than 2 GB in size, one in internal storage and two on SD. I don't think the limitations on those devices will allow that, although I invite anyone who has one to prove me wrong.

As I have already stated in my cloning FAQ, cloning doesn't solve the problem on these devices. For these old devices with Lifetime Map subscriptions and the 2 GB restriction, the best solution is to first install to computer, then use MapInstall to install the largest file you can to internal storage, then install as many remaining regions as you can to SD card, keeping the SD card file size below 2 GB. It won't be all of the NA map, but is the best you can hope for IMO.

Does anyone have any idea if any of these older GPS receivers can handle three or more map files (clearly a requirement for the FULL CN 2023.20 on receivers with the 2GB file size limit)?
Mark

Map file naming on 2G devices.

baumback wrote:
alandb wrote:

One thing I may give as a caution to those who might be thinking of trying this on older devices like StreetPilot or nuvi 3xx/6xx devices is that the solution doesn't eliminate the problem of the 2 GB file size limit and file naming restrictions. I don't even know if this unl/gma renaming will work on these devices. But even if it did, to get all NA on these devices, you would need 3 files, each remaining less than 2 GB in size, one in internal storage and two on SD. I don't think the limitations on those devices will allow that, although I invite anyone who has one to prove me wrong.

As I have already stated in my cloning FAQ, cloning doesn't solve the problem on these devices. For these old devices with Lifetime Map subscriptions and the 2 GB restriction, the best solution is to first install to computer, then use MapInstall to install the largest file you can to internal storage, then install as many remaining regions as you can to SD card, keeping the SD card file size below 2 GB. It won't be all of the NA map, but is the best you can hope for IMO.

Does anyone have any idea if any of these older GPS receivers can handle three or more map files (clearly a requirement for the FULL CN 2023.20 on receivers with the 2GB file size limit)?
Mark

It's a good question. I know they can handle a gmapprom and a gmapsupp in internal storage and a gmapsupp on SD. But two maps in internal storage doesn't help because most of these old devices only have 2G or 4G of internal storage space and once you take away the space needed for firmware and other required files there is only enough space left for one map file in internal storage. I thought I read on some forum that these old devices didn't support the gmapsup1 name, but all those other forums are now closed down and not searchable.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

thx

thanks

Here's some map file-naming info

alandb wrote:

It's a good question. I know they can handle a gmapprom and a gmapsupp in internal storage and a gmapsupp on SD. But two maps in internal storage doesn't help because most of these old devices only have 2G or 4G of internal storage space and once you take away the space needed for firmware and other required files there is only enough space left for one map file in internal storage. I thought I read on some forum that these old devices didn't support the gmapsup1 name, but all those other forums are now closed down and not searchable.

Here's some info thanks to our DorkusNimrod. Since the gmapsup1 name isn't mentioned, it may have started with the models after those being discussed fourteen exclaim years ago:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/19164

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/32680

The two links have a lot of overlap but I include both in case one has something the other doesn't. The links are quite old but they cover the older devices that had limitations. Later Garmin devices were much more accepting of filenames.

Thanks

Thanks downloading now.

Gmapsup1 map file name on SD card.

CraigW wrote:
alandb wrote:

It's a good question. I know they can handle a gmapprom and a gmapsupp in internal storage and a gmapsupp on SD. But two maps in internal storage doesn't help because most of these old devices only have 2G or 4G of internal storage space and once you take away the space needed for firmware and other required files there is only enough space left for one map file in internal storage. I thought I read on some forum that these old devices didn't support the gmapsup1 name, but all those other forums are now closed down and not searchable.

Here's some info thanks to our DorkusNimrod. Since the gmapsup1 name isn't mentioned, it may have started with the models after those being discussed fourteen exclaim years ago:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/19164

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/32680

The two links have a lot of overlap but I include both in case one has something the other doesn't. The links are quite old but they cover the older devices that had limitations. Later Garmin devices were much more accepting of filenames.

I do recall that support for the gmapsup1 map file name was added on the 7x5 series in one of the last software updates that Garmin provided for it. It was listed in the release notes as "Support for second map file on SD card". If I remember correctly, Garmin provided this same update on several other models at about the same time. On these older models, you can look up the software update change logs in our FAQ http://www.poi-factory.com/node/46396. Unfortunately, Garmin quit publishing change logs on the newest devices, but all of the newer devices support flexible map file naming in the \Map folder.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

1390T & 2495LMT

My 1390T the only map on it is:

CN North America NT 2023.20
[1] US & Canada (greyed out)

Nothing else. It installed on the microSD. Anyone know why it wouldn't get the 2 files below. No option to download it on GE either.

My 2495 LMT has 2 files:

CN North America NT 2023.20 All Canada & Mexico
CN North America NT 2023.20 All US

Baumback Canada&Mexico map file workaround on nuvi 855.

I finally found time to try the method Baumback posted earlier in this thread on my old nuvi 855. It worked as he described. One interesting thing that happened is that the first time I booted the 855 up after copying the files to internal storage, the map info screen showed the Canada and Mexico map segment as CN North America NT 2023.20
[3] DEM Basemap Routable (or some such thing). After tinkering around with it, the Map Info for that segment is now showing as his does with the "None" descriptor. Apparently the 855 software can't find the "Canada and Mexico" description. Go figure.

The method however does work and gives routable maps for the full NA. I am guessing this method will work on most of the old nuvi 2xx, 7xx, and 8xx models that originally had full NA maps and have active lifetime map subscriptions.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

I'm so excited I can barely

I'm so excited I can barely contain myself!

--
an94

Update was trouble free for

Update was trouble free for my old nuvi 1350 LMT.

--
an94

OLD GE WORKS CORRECTLY ON NEW UPDATE 660

The Same GE that would not work correctly with 660 on last updates (Would not show the partial maps, but just attempted to load entire MAP onto SD Card for 660 -- and this failed totally!!!!)

NOW CORRECTLY SHOWS THE NEW MAP AS A PARTIAL INSTALL!

That means, the issue I reported on before, was NOT a GE ISSUE, but a MAP ISSUE!!!

Installing latest (Partial -- SE USA) now....

Will report back later on it's success (REMEMBER, PAST MAPS WHEN LOADED VIA OTHER PARTIAL MEANS, DID NOT SHOW LOCAL ROAD NAMES IN FULL THEY WERE TRUNCATED....

Waiting with baited Breath!
Jan

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

Good News!!! BAD NEWS!!!!

GE Sees the SD Card with 660 Garmin Direcory as a GPS, Determines the Full map cannot be loaded onto it.... and gives me selection of quadrant to load.... ALL THAT IS GOOD NEWS....

After the 3 file names are renamed with supp, and SD card is placed back into GPS, The new map IS SEEN AND is selected.... THAT IS GOOD TOO!.....

BUT The names of the roads are still Truncated!!! BAD NEWS!!
I WISH I COULD POST A PIX OF IT HERE!!!!

Neds Cove Road Becomes: N...C...R...

Crystal Tree Drive Becomes C......T...D....

Can this issue be worked around any way that you know of?

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

Installed with no issues

On a nuvi 3597

--
Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT

Option to change Speed Limit Removed

I noticed with the latest map update Garmin has removed the ability to change the change the speed limit for a given road if the speed was incorrect. You accessed it by pressing the speed limit icon.

Does anyone know why?

AFAIK that's been gone for a

AFAIK that's been gone for a long time. ICBW.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

I'm pretty sure it was in

I'm pretty sure it was in the previous map update.

Nope

That's a software change, not a map issue. Perhaps Express updated your software at the same time?

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart51LMT-S, DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

2460

hp999 wrote:

I noticed with the latest map update Garmin has removed the ability to change the change the speed limit for a given road if the speed was incorrect. You accessed it by pressing the speed limit icon.

Does anyone know why?

I see that you have a nuvi 2460 and 2455. I had a 2460 and it was the only Garmin device I had that allowed for correcting speed limits. I assume the 2455 is the same.

Most Garmin devices never allowed changing speed limits. It does seem odd that Garmin would offer a software update to such old devices.

I do think remembering when I used my 2460, that with each map update the nuvi cleared all custom speed limit adjustments and that resulted in my giving up on making corrections.

I own a 2460 also

I gave up entering the speed changes or non existent ones also. Every update erases them.

CraigW wrote:
hp999 wrote:

I noticed with the latest map update Garmin has removed the ability to change the change the speed limit for a given road if the speed was incorrect. You accessed it by pressing the speed limit icon.

Does anyone know why?

I see that you have a nuvi 2460 and 2455. I had a 2460 and it was the only Garmin device I had that allowed for correcting speed limits. I assume the 2455 is the same.

Most Garmin devices never allowed changing speed limits. It does seem odd that Garmin would offer a software update to such old devices.

I do think remembering when I used my 2460, that with each map update the nuvi cleared all custom speed limit adjustments and that resulted in my giving up on making corrections.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

exactly

CraigW wrote:

~snip~

I do think remembering when I used my 2460, that with each map update the nuvi cleared all custom speed limit adjustments and that resulted in my giving up on making corrections.

Yeah, plus, if the speed limit varied on particular road each correction would change that entire road to the most recent entry.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

So all these directories can

So all these directories can be emptied after a successful update of a Garmin unit? I think I have like 60GB of stuff sitting in there that I will delete if no longer needed.

Which ones?

woozoo wrote:

So all these directories can be emptied after a successful update of a Garmin unit? I think I have like 60GB of stuff sitting in there that I will delete if no longer needed.

Welcome to The Factory.

It would help if we knew which directories you're referring to.

If you installed a map update to "device and computer," some of the directories on the computer are needed while others can safely be removed.

If you're replying to an earlier post on this 2-page thread, rather than tapping Reply, tap Quote so we'll know which previous post you've replied to.

PS: When using Quote, you can selectively delete portions of the message you're replying to.

Deleting files

woozoo wrote:

So all these directories can be emptied after a successful update of a Garmin unit? I think I have like 60GB of stuff sitting in there that I will delete if no longer needed.

You may want to review this FAQ http://www.poi-factory.com/node/47390 and the post http://www.poi-factory.com/node/45648?page=2#comment-418223 . Also http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41876 .

Make sure you have a backup of your GPS Files.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. MapFactor - Offline Maps & GPS.

Good, update and thanks

Good, update and thanks

update

still need to update.

Not Much Space Left

Finally got around to updating the maps on both our 2455LMT and 2555LMT Nuvi units. Similar results as what bennor3814 and others had. Two maps are now listed.

CN North America NT 2023.20 ALL Canada & Mexico
CN North America NT 2023.20 ALL US

There doesn't appear to be anything stored on the external SD card (both units have SD cards). Garmin Express did not indicate the internal storage was full. Thought the update was going to choke both units but finished up with:

Internal Storage
411 MB free of 7.20 GB – 2455LTM
297 MB free of 7.20 GB – 2555LTM

Memory Card – both units
14.4 GB free of 14.4 GB

Yes, we were able to install the update(s) with no problem but don’t like the low memory that's left. Wish there was a way to use GE and specifically have the Mexico and Canada maps installed to SD card.

According to the Garmin support there are several items we can delete to free up space. (https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=101881&tab=softw...)

Planning to do the following:

Language Files – Delete unwanted language files in voice folder leaving just English_American_Jill and English_American_Michelle files. Should free up around 55 MB.

Help Files – Delete unwanted help folders, leaving just American_English, British_English, and Spanish folders. Those are the only three we might possibly use. Should free up around 7 MB.

GPX Archive Folder -- Delete the entire GPX Archive folder. We never use the trip log information. Not even sure how to use that information. Should free up around 36 MB.

Garmin article says you can do the same for Text and Keyboards. Not sure what’s in the text folder (.glx files at around 59 MB) and the keyboard folder (1.24 MB).

Will also move POI file to SD and free up another 12.8 MB. Loaded POI to SD in the past and for some reason just put it in internal storage and never changed back. Should free up around 12.8 MB.

These changes will free up 98 MB which will take the 2555LTM back up to 407.8 MB. Nowhere close to the 1.47 GB of 2.70 GB free before the update. The 2455LTM already has many of these files deleted from when we purchased it. That’s why it has more free space. Suspect the next update we’ll find out if Garmin Express really does allow the maps to be installed to the SD card. The maps never get smaller!

Plan to back up all the folder contents for each of the changes just in case we run into any issues.

Does anyone in the Factory have specific information about the files in the text folder and how they are used? That may help us decide if we want to delete anything there. Will also appreciate any other comments, suggestions, and cautions about what to do and not do when freeing up space.

Sorry for the length of the post, just wanted to share our experiences and concerns. Now it’s time for a trip to test the units!

Free internal memory.

In my experience with Garmin devices, 297 MB and 411 MB of free space in internal memory is plenty for efficient operation of the device and for map updates at least in the near future. When you get down to 100 MB or less, it is time to start thinking about mitigation strategies with the SD card. This is just my opinion for what it's worth and invite others to comment that have different opinions.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Good to Know

alandb wrote:

In my experience with Garmin devices, 297 MB and 411 MB of free space in internal memory is plenty for efficient operation of the device and for map updates at least in the near future. When you get down to 100 MB or less, it is time to start thinking about mitigation strategies with the SD card. This is just my opinion for what it's worth and invite others to comment that have different opinions.

Thanks alanb! Never had to deal with any internal memory issues. Had no idea when it might become an issue. Just seemed that going from over 1 GB free down to around 500 MB or less could impact the operation. Good to know your experience with how little internal memory it takes.

~3.5GB left on a DS65. This

~3.5GB left on a DS65. This device has 16GB of internal storage.

I did the update in a vm (as I always do). Total time from pressing the go button, 9 minutes. The bulk of that was copying data to the device. Ran the update checker a few times as it found other updates in addition to the the fw and map following a reboot.

This unit is going to someone else, hope they enjoy it as much as I did. I'd love to keep it but it's too big for the stinger - no place to mount.

I'm down to just the driveluxe 50 now.

<<Page 2>>