Garmin Devices Compatible With Galileo GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System)

 

I was inspired by the post referenced below and some other previous posts the mentioned the Galileo GNSS. Honestly, much like others have posted, I don't need another automobile navigator. I have a Garmin Nuvi 3597, a DriveLuxe 51 and others. However, now that some Garmin devices have Galileo, I need to start paying closer attention to this.

I assume any new models coming forward from Garmin will have Galileo support. I would sort of like to compare one of the Garmin Drives just to see for myself how much more accurate they are.

So, lets weigh in here. Who has a device with Galileo and how much more accurate is it from your perspective?

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/blog/the-garmin-drive-sat-navs-...

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/49273

I wonder

if the "improved" accuracy is really that significant unless you're in an area where the normal signal is weak. I typically see accuracy at +/- 10ft, sometimes it's better than that.

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

Galileo

It would be interesting to hear from someone who uses one of the new Galileo enabled devices in an "urban canyon" like Manhattan, especially if they can do it side by side with an older device. I know when I was in NYC several years ago I used my Garmin Oregon 550 handheld and it was totally unreliable in the Wall Street area, sometimes showing me on the wrong block or losing signal altogether.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

????

alandb wrote:

It would be interesting to hear from someone who uses one of the new Galileo enabled devices in an "urban canyon" like Manhattan, especially if they can do it side by side with an older device. I know when I was in NYC several years ago I used my Garmin Oregon 550 handheld and it was totally unreliable in the Wall Street area, sometimes showing me on the wrong block or losing signal altogether.

Why and how would Galileo be any better?

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

What are you doing?

uber360 wrote:

if the "improved" accuracy is really that significant unless you're in an area where the normal signal is weak. I typically see accuracy at +/- 10ft, sometimes it's better than that.

My devices use the GPS and GLONASS satellites. I typically see 9-10 ft accuracy, sometimes better.

That's good enough for everything I'm doing.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

really?

The Galileo system claims accuracy to within a few centimeters.

That's impressive.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

More satellites could give better constellation.

diesel wrote:
alandb wrote:

It would be interesting to hear from someone who uses one of the new Galileo enabled devices in an "urban canyon" like Manhattan, especially if they can do it side by side with an older device. I know when I was in NYC several years ago I used my Garmin Oregon 550 handheld and it was totally unreliable in the Wall Street area, sometimes showing me on the wrong block or losing signal altogether.

Why and how would Galileo be any better?

The reason is that with the narrow view of the sky in an urban canyon, there may be more visible satellites within the available view giving a better constellation to triangulate with. However, I understand that part of the accuracy problem in urban canyons is also caused by signal reflection off the buildings, so I suppose Galileo wouldn't prevent that.

For a detailed explanation, see this: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/61027598.pdf. This study is way, way above my pay grade, but still has some interesting information smile

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Yeah,

diesel wrote:

My devices use the GPS and GLONASS satellites. I typically see 9-10 ft accuracy, sometimes better.

That's good enough for everything I'm doing.

same here.

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

I haven't performed a side

I haven't performed a side by side comparison, but I can not tell any difference one way or another in the Philadelphia area using my DriveSmart 61 before and after the update.

I do have a question though, when viewing the satellites the Garmin is picking up, some of the 'bars' on the bar graph are only an outline, (#8 in the photo) why? The linked photo is prior to adding the update for Galileo satellites but I've seen some of them do this as well.

Also the sun & moon are obvious, what about the circled dot, is that where I am?

https://i.postimg.cc/HxhDZVhT/20190403-162429-1.jpg

.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Garmin Devices Compatible With Galileo GNSS

Now that I have updated my Garmin DriveLuxe 51 to include Galileo, I should probably do a side-by-side comparison to my Nuvi 3597 and see how they compare to one another.

Yes, that would be interesting.

Jim1348 wrote:

Now that I have updated my Garmin DriveLuxe 51 to include Galileo, I should probably do a side-by-side comparison to my Nuvi 3597 and see how they compare to one another.

Yes, that would be interesting, especially if you drive in difficult signal situations like "urban canyons".

In normal situations, it may be difficult to tell if the position accuracy is improved, because Garmin road navigation devices use the "snap to road" method. I suppose you could compare the accuracy reporting on the satellite constellation screens for both devices.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Garmin Devices Compatible With Galileo GNSS (Global Navigation

alandb wrote:

...Yes, that would be interesting, especially if you drive in difficult signal situations like "urban canyons".

In normal situations, it may be difficult to tell if the position accuracy is improved, because Garmin road navigation devices use the "snap to road" method. I suppose you could compare the accuracy reporting on the satellite constellation screens for both devices.

That is an excellent followup to my post and I was wondering the same thing, too. I live in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul MN area. I am sort of "on the fence" whether Minneapolis would actually be an "urban canyon" or at least enough of an "urban canyon" to notice a different in performance.

Another thing I am wondering is if it might help improve the initial signal acquisition time. I seem to recall that folks in that business have the acronym TTFF for Time To First Fix. Honestly, most of the time my Garmin DriveLuxe 51 works so well, that I don't even give it much thought. The exception, I suppose, is getting live traffic data and knowing where to avoid due to construction and/or traffic slowdowns.

I can still recall a number of years back some Garmin Street Pilots having a type of "dead reckoning" as a way to deal with signal loss in urban canyons. While I haven't Googled it yet, I wonder what or where the most urban canyons are. Would it be New York City, Los Angeles or might there be others on the list where it is very hard to get a GPS signal.

My recollection of times when I was in Minneapolis MN and having issues with GPS I speculated whether GPS signals could bounce enough off buildings to confuse the receiver. That, too, might need further research.

downtown Manhattan

Jim1348 wrote:

...I wonder what or where the most urban canyons are. Would it be New York City, Los Angeles or might there be others on the list where it is very hard to get a GPS signal...

In New York City there are a large number of buildings about 50 stories, and many about 80 to 100 stories. These are either in midtown Manhattan or downtown Manhattan. The streets are narrower downtown, which is an older neighborhood. That would be the worst case in the world for GPS reception. Like alandb said, Wall Street is downtown.

dobs108 smile

Urban Canyons.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Wow.

That accuracy is pretty impressive.

urban canyons in NYC

benefits of galileo

As far as i know Galileo is new satellites so we know these satellites improved accuracy and aside from newer it is also position on the highest latitude compare to any other GPS satellites it is higher than them so meaning this can show wider coverage on the surface of the earth it can see better in tall buildings and trees. But My Drive 51-LM has the update to enabled it but I do not see galileo on the status menu? =/