FM Traffic Stations Update

 

Updated GE today to 5.3.1.0 and noticed that there was an update for my 3597.

The file that lists all the FM Traffic Stations has been updated.

Took less than a minute to update.

GE still thinks I need to update the Southern U.S. and Mexico maps though, even though they are the current versions.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Downloaded

Nuvi 3590LMT required update as well.

2 for me

FM stations updated on both my NuviCam and 2598 LMT HD

Color Me Confused

I thought all the traffic data now came through the Garmin Smartphone app on a smartphone..

Can someone please splain' this to me so I understand?

TIA

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Also for 2689LMT

And installed quickly

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

Noticed that too

I noticed that too. Funny thing, I always get that but only when I plug in my 2450. It always says it needs to update that file, I update it. All is good until I plug it in again, and it says I need to update it again (same version). It's been that way even with Webupdater.

I don't have a traffic receiver for it, so I'm sure it's not even using it (if it's even installing it.) I emailed Garmin several times about it. I've yet to receive a response from them on it.

--
Garmin Nuvi 2450

Growing or shrinking?

Is there a way to actually read this file to determine if the number of FM stations providing this service is growing or shrinking? I suppose the file size itself would be an indication.

Since Garmin is moving away from the traffic receiver / HD traffic system and promoting its Smartphone Link / Live Traffic app, I suspect there will be less of a need for this service in the future.

+1

+1

Not Everyone

bdhsfz6 wrote:

Is there a way to actually read this file to determine if the number of FM stations providing this service is growing or shrinking? I suppose the file size itself would be an indication.

Since Garmin is moving away from the traffic receiver / HD traffic system and promoting its Smartphone Link / Live Traffic app, I suspect there will be less of a need for this service in the future.

Not everyone has a GPS with Bluetooth capability and not everyone has a Smartphone. Some just are not savvy enough to pair them up.

Also, we don't know if other devices are using the FM Traffic services. I imagine that delivery vehicles, taxis, etc. may use it as well.

We won't know until it's turned off and we hear all the wailing and moaning.

The file is just a "Text" file and is easily readable.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Traffic

Thanks for the info.

I have both a 3590 and a 3597 and will do the update.

Where?

metricman wrote:

... The file is just a "Text" file and is easily readable.

I was hoping to find it as I have a 3597 and don't recall seeing this update. Am curious where they store it on the GPS.

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

Location

The file is located in the /.System folder and is named TrafficProvider.xml

In Windows, right click on the file and select "Open with".

Select "Internet Explorer" and file will open in IE.

You could also select Notepad, if desired.

DO NOT EDIT THE FILE!!!!!!!!!

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Thank You

I have a Mac and .system is hidden but I was able to expose it and found the date of 29 Mar 2017 and so I must have been asleep at the switch as I didn't remember doing the update.

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

SmartLink so much better than FM Traffic

Good to know there is an update. For those who aren't aware, FM Traffic is okay when in urban / city areas but for compatible devices, the Garmin SmartLink smartphone app (which connects to the Garmin GPS and downloads traffic from a much wider geographic area almost instantly) is far superior.

.

I got it on the 3790,as well.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Good

metricman wrote:
bdhsfz6 wrote:

Is there a way to actually read this file to determine if the number of FM stations providing this service is growing or shrinking? I suppose the file size itself would be an indication.

Since Garmin is moving away from the traffic receiver / HD traffic system and promoting its Smartphone Link / Live Traffic app, I suspect there will be less of a need for this service in the future.

Not everyone has a GPS with Bluetooth capability and not everyone has a Smartphone. Some just are not savvy enough to pair them up.

Also, we don't know if other devices are using the FM Traffic services. I imagine that delivery vehicles, taxis, etc. may use it as well.

We won't know until it's turned off and we hear all the wailing and moaning.

The file is just a "Text" file and is easily readable.

Well said!

--
Garmin Drive Smart 61 NA LMT-S

My 3580LMT may need update

My 3580LMT may need update too. Need to check.

--
romanviking

Good to see this does get

Good to see this does get updated.