How to enter coordinates in Nuvi

 

Hello friends, Today I got stuck with coordinates. I could not figure out how to enter coordinates in my nuvi3597 from a web site.
I wanted to go far water falls photography. So the only way to reach these places was by using the coordinates provides on the web site but when I tried to enter these coordinates in my Nuvo 3597, I got stuck because the format was different. Here is the example of the coordinate provided on the web site:

Coordinates: 43.2004 N / 79.8196 W

But I tried to enter the same coordinate in Nuvi, it did not work because Nuvi has five digits after the decimal instead of four.

I will appreciate your help.

--
Iphone XR, Drivesmart 61,Nuvicam, Nuvi3597

.

You need to make sure that your nuvi is set to the same coordinate FORMAT as those which are are trying to enter.

https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/lat_lon/formats

Those coordinates are in Decimal Degrees. You need to check the setting on your nuvi to make sure it matches.

Adding One More Digit?

rookie8155 wrote:

Hello friends, Today I got stuck with coordinates. I could not figure out how to enter coordinates in my nuvi3597 from a web site.
I wanted to go far water falls photography. So the only way to reach these places was by using the coordinates provides on the web site but when I tried to enter these coordinates in my Nuvo 3597, I got stuck because the format was different. Here is the example of the coordinate provided on the web site:

Coordinates: 43.2004 N / 79.8196 W

But I tried to enter the same coordinate in Nuvi, it did not work because Nuvi has five digits after the decimal instead of four.

I will appreciate your help.

Can't you just add one more digit like 0 or 1? Won't make a dent in accuracy.

Okay

I'll have to try that.

I entered

I entered N 43.20040 and W 079.81960 into my Nuvi3597 and it showed me basically at Albion Falls south east of Hamiltion Ontario. Is that the location you were looking for?

My Nuvi is set to Coordinate Format h ddd.ddddd

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Okay

I'll have to try that.

t923347 wrote: I entered N

t923347 wrote:

I entered N 43.20040 and W 079.81960 into my Nuvi3597 and it showed me basically at Albion Falls south east of Hamiltion Ontario. Is that the location you were looking for?

My Nuvi is set to Coordinate Format h ddd.ddddd

Thanks for your feedback. I tried exactly like you but then I did not have time to test it because I was leaving for Hamilton. I was not sure about adding a zero at the end or at the beginning because N 43.2004 will become N 43.20040 etc etc.

--
Iphone XR, Drivesmart 61,Nuvicam, Nuvi3597

t923347 wrote: I entered N

t923347 wrote:

I entered N 43.20040 and W 079.81960 into my Nuvi3597 and it showed me basically at Albion Falls south east of Hamiltion Ontario. Is that the location you were looking for?

My Nuvi is set to Coordinate Format h ddd.ddddd

Thanks for your feedback. I tried exactly like you but then I did not have time to test it because I was leaving for Hamilton. I was not sure about adding a zero at the end or at the beginning because N 43.2004 will become N 43.20040 etc etc.

--
Iphone XR, Drivesmart 61,Nuvicam, Nuvi3597

good to know!

good to know!

A cool Program for this called FuzzyCalc

I use a offline application for this purpose. This converts coordinates in many ways that can be used.

Below are the links for each operating system. You can also searc for FizzCalc for more information for this app.

WIN Ver:
http://www.fizzymagic.net/Geocaching/FizzyCalc/

Mac Ver:
https://www.jimcarson.com/macfizzycalc/

Good Luck

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

That's helpful, Bob, but one

That's helpful, Bob, but one click, (or two), on the Coordinates box takes you to the place to change the input format.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

Bob, thanks for the link for

Bob, thanks for the link for the Fuzzycalc. Yes, it works very well.
Thank you so much.

--
Iphone XR, Drivesmart 61,Nuvicam, Nuvi3597

Actually,

it is Fizzycalc, not fuzzycalc. It is very popular with geocachers, who often need conversion methods for puzzle caches.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

What Am I Missing?

rookie8155 wrote:
t923347 wrote:

I entered N 43.20040 and W 079.81960 into my Nuvi3597 and it showed me basically at Albion Falls south east of Hamiltion Ontario. Is that the location you were looking for?

My Nuvi is set to Coordinate Format h ddd.ddddd

Thanks for your feedback. I tried exactly like you but then I did not have time to test it because I was leaving for Hamilton. I was not sure about adding a zero at the end or at the beginning because N 43.2004 will become N 43.20040 etc etc.

What's the difference between N 43.2004 and N 43.20040 as far as position is concerned? Do you change position? So what if you add a zero at the end? There's a difference if you add a zero at the beginning -- N 43.02004 is not the same as N 43.20040, right?

From what I understand about the question or problem, it's not really about the format but only in the number of digits to use. He has only 4 decimal digits given but the Nuvi needs 5 to operate. So, just add a zero at the end to make it 5 decimal places, right again? wink

nats50 wrote: rookie8155

nats50 wrote:
rookie8155 wrote:
t923347 wrote:

I entered N 43.20040 and W 079.81960 into my Nuvi3597 and it showed me basically at Albion Falls south east of Hamiltion Ontario. Is that the location you were looking for?

My Nuvi is set to Coordinate Format h ddd.ddddd

Thanks for your feedback. I tried exactly like you but then I did not have time to test it because I was leaving for Hamilton. I was not sure about adding a zero at the end or at the beginning because N 43.2004 will become N 43.20040 etc etc.

What's the difference between N 43.2004 and N 43.20040 as far as position is concerned? Do you change position? So what if you add a zero at the end? There's a difference if you add a zero at the beginning -- N 43.02004 is not the same as N 43.20040, right?

From what I understand about the question or problem, it's not really about the format but only in the number of digits to use. He has only 4 decimal digits given but the Nuvi needs 5 to operate. So, just add a zero at the end to make it 5 decimal places, right again? wink

Yes, that is the problem. Garmin for some reason has 5 digits after the decimal. Whereas web sites provides four digits after the decimal. So I am guessing as well that you have to add zero?

--
Iphone XR, Drivesmart 61,Nuvicam, Nuvi3597

Digits

rookie8155 wrote:

Yes, that is the problem. Garmin for some reason has 5 digits after the decimal. Whereas web sites provides four digits after the decimal. So I am guessing as well that you have to add zero?

Mathematically, the numbers are the same if you add 0's after the decimal.

As newer and more accurate GPS devices were developed, some manufacturers like Garmin added the ability to add another digit after the decimal to the coordinates for higher accuracy. Obviously, adding a 0 after the decimal doesn't do anything, but N 43.20043 is just a little more precise than N 43.2004, for example.

Great info

I need to try using this

--
Garmin Nuvi 2597lmt

Thanks for the Correction..

alandb wrote:

it is Fizzycalc, not fuzzycalc. It is very popular with geocachers, who often need conversion methods for puzzle caches.

Fizzy, fuzzy was a Bear..., oh well Now I feel all FizFuz inside me..

Hey, I misspelled it in the title but got it right in the Body but thanks for the heads up!

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

My Period Or Rather Point Is

johnc wrote:
rookie8155 wrote:

Yes, that is the problem. Garmin for some reason has 5 digits after the decimal. Whereas web sites provides four digits after the decimal. So I am guessing as well that you have to add zero?

Mathematically, the numbers are the same if you add 0's after the decimal.

As newer and more accurate GPS devices were developed, some manufacturers like Garmin added the ability to add another digit after the decimal to the coordinates for higher accuracy. Obviously, adding a 0 after the decimal doesn't do anything, but N 43.20043 is just a little more precise than N 43.2004, for example.

According to Nathaniel Bowditch's Nautical Almanac, the length of a degree of latitude at latitude 43 degrees is 364,477 feet, and a degree of longitude is 267,523 feet. That amounts to about 101 feet for every second difference in latitude, about 74 feet in longitude. Or, the difference between N 43.00000 and N 43.00001 is about 3.6 feet at those latitudes, about 2.7 feet in longitude -- way beyond the accuracy and precision of our Nuvis. However, a difference of 0.00009 is about 32.8 feet and 24.1 feet correspondingly and you may start worrying. At latitude 44 degrees, it's 364,541 feet and 263,144 feet correspondingly. Go figure. wink

cords

instead of 43.2004 why not just google earth it and get the cords off it and enter them if its in a mall I do street view to find a place in a mall if it has an exterior store that you can view then get the cords !

One More Time

As I first said in my 1st post, his problem or question was really about his Nuvi's requirement of having to have "5" decimal digits to continue, and he only has 4. I said why not just add a "0" at the end and that's it! It's the same and not going to make a dent. It's not really about getting the coordinates or whatever else. Whew! sad I'm out of here.