Very new to this everyone. I have built in Kenwood 4250 DAB / Kenwood and I use SD card for map updates. I wanted Custom POI and I downloaded CSV excel file, used POI loader and it converted to .gpi. I copied to SD card, not sure if I should have made a POI folder, anyway I had no success when I loaded SD card to device in car?? Should the CSV file also be on SD card? Tried everything but no success. I also followed instructions as in "Settings, Categories, Customs POI" but couldn't see anything?
Sure I am doing something wrong but?
Thanks for any help
MODERATOR NOTE 7-31-2017:
I spoke with a user who did some testing with a DNX-893. He was able to load the red light and speed camera files using Garmin POI Loader via a USB memory stick but not a SD memory card. For his unit, the SD card only worked for firmware, map updates, and music files.
So if your Kenwood has both SD and USB, you might try USB if SD isn't working for you.
I don't have firsthand experience with Kenwood, but I found a post from another Kenwood user that might be helpful:
It describes the process for loading POI files onto a Kenwood using an SD card.
- download POI files from POI Factory to a folder on your computer (not the SD card)
- Create a folder on the SD card called "Garmin" <- This is important
- Install Garmin's POI Loader software on your computer
- Run POI Loader to transfer the files from your computer to the Garmin folder on the SD card
- Insert the SD Card or DVD in your Kenwood unit and go to Navigation. The unit will recognize the POI files on the card and prompt you to load them into internal storage.
It sounds like you have the basic process right, but it may be that the folder name on the SD card is not quite right.
Jonathan (aka JM)
Jonathan (aka JM)
POI Loader also creates a subfolder - POI under the Garmin folder. You need to move the GPI file up one level.
I loaded my latest collection of custom POI's into the Garmin/Kenwood Navigation System using Garmin's POI Loader using an SD card and it is very quick and easy. I just select the SD card as the destination instead of the Garmin gps unit like I had been doing. It automatically created the correct directories on the SD card and in a few seconds said it was complete. Went to the car and turned on the navigation and stuck in the SD card and a confirmation window popped up and asked if I wanted to load the custom POI's into the unit's memory and selected yes then it confirmed that it was going to replace all the current custom POI's and I hit yes again and in about 2 seconds a confirmation window came up and said the transfer was complete and I removed the card.
The whole process was very simple and worked great.
I realize this is on old thread, but I am having the same problem as the original poster. I created the POI file with Garmin's POI Loader and it installed the file onto my SD card in the directory Garmin/POI. I moved the file up one level as suggested, but still didn't work. I also tried copying the file to a USB drive and connected to the GPS and it recognizes the USB but it only says reading. Any other ideas to try?
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the suggestion from SallySky, but had a problem with it stuck reading USB stick when connected to GPS. The USB stick I used was 16GB. Her post suggested a 4GB file. I don't know if that would make a difference. When I initially used the POILoader program, I uploaded 12 different POI files from subfolders on my computer. I may try one small POI file to eliminate possibility of corrupt file causing the problem. I'll try that tomorrow and post an update then. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Sounds like a good idea. For ordinary Garmin GPSs, when running POI Loader, only one level of subfolders is supported. I don't know about the Kenwood subfolder arrangement, but it is certainly limited to one level of subfolders.
16GB is the correct size stick or SD card for Garmin GPSs.
You are on the right track in looking at the folder / subfolder arrangement.
I found out the USB stick I was using was formatted to NTFS. Reformatted to FAT32 copied files and everything uploaded as expected with sub folders intact. Thanks again for the guidance.
We are happy you solved the problem!
terms | privacy | contactCopyright © 2006-2020