nuvi 35x7 and 35x8 (GCD File) software version 4.50

 

nuvi 35x7 and 35x8 (GCD File) software version 4.50

as of September 18, 2014

Use Garmin Express to install this file.

(61.14 MB)

---------------------------------------------------------

Change History

Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:
◦Improved detection of power sources that cannot charge the device properly.
◦Fixed issues with adjusting display brightness.
◦Fixed issues with weather received from Smartphone Link.
◦Fixed search issues.
◦Improved route calculation.
◦Improved map display performance.
◦Fixed audio issues.
◦Improved translations.
◦Improved software stability.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5967

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon
Page 1>>

.

Installed on my 3597LMTHD using Web Updater (not Express)

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

CRAP

Crap, I updated my 3597 and all seemed to go well until I plugged it into the same power adapter I've used on my desk since I got my Nuvi 350 in December 2005. The Nuvi booted up fine but I now get an error message:

"The attached power cable cannot charge your device. Use the cable that was provided with your device."

That's all fine and dandy BUT I never got a power adapter with my 3597, only the USB cable and the power/traffic cable for my vehicle, nothing that plugs into the wall. evil evil

Plugged my 3790 into the same adapter and it works fine, so it's not an adapter failure.

Off I go to see if I can backdate the firmware.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Thanks!

alandb wrote:

Installed on my 3597LMTHD using Web Updater (not Express)

Thanks, alandb. I updated mine as well and also updated my keyboard to version 1.60 and Language Text to 1.80. Like you, I also used WebUpdater for both the 4.50 firmware and two optional updates.

A couple of simulations post-update worked fine.

Maybe this is a new feature or maybe I just missed it before. When approaching a school zone, I get the upper right visual and bong-bong audio alert as before. But now in the upper right visual orange icon, I get a feet-to-crossing display that drops to 0-ft as I approach the crossing. Was that there with the previous firmware?

A $wise$ fix on their behalf

alandb wrote:

Change History

Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:
◦Improved detection of power sources that cannot charge the device properly.

With the intention & hope that many will buy their adapter.

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Ah

canuk wrote:
alandb wrote:

Change History

Changes made from version 4.40 to 4.50:
◦Improved detection of power sources that cannot charge the device properly.

With the intention & hope that many will buy their adapter.

t92, is it absolutely necessary for you to use your old AC adapter with your 3597? I worry about you being the first (that I know of) who plans to back-date firmware on the 3597. Wasn't there was a nuvi model in the past that permanently lost its ability to Bluetooth after being backdated? (Maybe the nuvi 7xx series.)

I assume that running on battery only and running through the cigarette lighter powered mount, your 3597 starts up and runs—and charges with the latter.

I'm

I'm sure it will run fine using the cigarette lighter adapter but that isn't how I want to use it in my office at home. So to answer your question, Yes, it is absolutely necessary for me to use my old AC adapter for my 3597.

I've used that adapter for every Nuvi I've ever owned and until I updated the 3597 to firmware version 4.50 it has never been a problem.

What really ticks me off is that one of the benefits of updating to 4.50 was:

Improved detection of power sources that cannot charge the device properly.

It sure improved it alright. From just powering my 3597 to not powering it at all. So, although I've found the backdated firmware I was looking for, I've ordered a new power adapter. So this firmware update has only costs me $25 plus tax and shipping, so far. sad mad

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

3597 chargers.

Rick, you are absolutely right. I have 4 wall chargers that have always worked on all my nuvi's including the 3597. Two of them are 2.1 A and two are 1.0 A. After the updating the 3597 to 4.50, only one of these chargers work. It is the one that came with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet. The other three all give the error message you stated.

That worried me, not so much because of the unusable chargers, but I normally don't use the bulky power cable that came with the 3597 since there is no traffic service in my area. I use a cheap generic cigarette lighter USB plug and a standard mini USB cable. I was worried that the 4.50 software would also reject that connection. But I just tested it on my truck and it seems to work OK, showing the charging battery icon. I suspect that using the cradle may mitigate the charger rejection.

But I agree with you ... there is no reason for Garmin to reject perfectly good chargers.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Power Cradle?

@t92334 and alandb

Not owning a 3597 the below opinion is purely speculation.

I too use a 110v wall charger frequently and find it very useful while tweaking my Nuvi's or entering favorites at the comfort of my desk.

I own a genuine Garmin 110v (1 amp) International wall charger. This charger has worked on all the Nuvi's I've ever owned. It has a mini USB connector to plug into the Nuvi or power cradle.

My 660 that has a power mount with a mini USB connector I can plug it into the mount or directly into the Nuvi. On my 2460, it also has a power mount with a mini USB connector. The 2460.s on the unit has a micro USB connector so I can't plug it into there, only into the power mount.

As far as the 3597 goes, it has a magnetic power mount, I believe (not sure) it has a mini USB connector but the Nuvi has a Micro USB connector like my 2460. Perhaps the issue lies with the new firmware it will not recognize the power coming from the wall charger into the power mount.

I see Garmin is selling the charger for the 3597 that comes with two cables, one is a mini, the other is a micro. I'm thinking if you use that charger with the Micro USB and plug directly into the 3597 it will charge.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/adapters...

I see no reason why Garmin should release firmware that would disable the 110v charging capability that worked in previous firmware.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

.

CraigW wrote:

Wasn't there was a nuvi model in the past that permanently lost its ability to Bluetooth after being backdated? (Maybe the nuvi 7xx series)

You remember correctly, Craig. It was the 7x0 series (760/770 etc. 750 did not have Bluetooth). It happened to myself and the unit had to be replaced by Garmin. It was replaced by a dim-screened unit from a newer batch that used the MTK GPS chipset rather than the original SiRF Star II. The dim-screen issue affected these later MTK-based units after Garmin changed LCD panel suppliers. BTW, those LCD panels after the change were not interchangeable either...I tried.

However, realize that this dead Bluetooth issue was pretty much an isolated quirk in that series only. Every other Garmin nuvi I've owned, I have updated, backdated, and updated again multiple times in my unit testing and I've never had an issue.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

.

alandb wrote:

Two of them are 2.1 A and two are 1.0 A. After the updating the 3597 to 4.50, only one of these chargers work. It is the one that came with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet.

Alan, I'm assuming it was a 2.1A charger since it came with the tablet?

Looks like Garmin is looking to drum up some revenue with their "suddenly proprietary" AC adapters. rolleyes

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Not quite

muell9k wrote:

@t92334 and alandb

Not owning a 3597 the below opinion is purely speculation.

I too use a 110v wall charger frequently and find it very useful while tweaking my Nuvi's or entering favorites at the comfort of my desk.

I own a genuine Garmin 110v (1 amp) International wall charger. This charger has worked on all the Nuvi's I've ever owned. It has a mini USB connector to plug into the Nuvi or power cradle.

My 660 that has a power mount with a mini USB connector I can plug it into the mount or directly into the Nuvi. On my 2460, it also has a power mount with a mini USB connector. The 2460.s on the unit has a micro USB connector so I can't plug it into there, only into the power mount.

As far as the 3597 goes, it has a magnetic power mount, I believe (not sure) it has a mini USB connector but the Nuvi has a Micro USB connector like my 2460. Perhaps the issue lies with the new firmware it will not recognize the power coming from the wall charger into the power mount.

The mount and Nuvi both have mini USB connectors.

muell9k wrote:

I see Garmin is selling the charger for the 3597 that comes with two cables, one is a mini, the other is a micro. I'm thinking if you use that charger with the Micro USB and plug directly into the 3597 it will charge.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/adapters...

I see no reason why Garmin should release firmware that would disable the 110v charging capability that worked in previous firmware.

However, I have discovered with my 3597 if I attach a USB cord to the mount I can operate the nuvi as if it were connected to the vehicle outlet. As I use a Bean Bag mount, it comes in quite handy when wanting to simulate routes while charging from the USB port on the computer.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

It doesn't

It doesn't matter how the old adapter is connected to the 3597, you get the same error message about the power cable not being able to charge the device.

The adapter from my old Nuvi 350 has a mini USB connection on the one end that plugs into the magnetic mount which I have attached to my bean bag mount on my desk.

There is also a mini USB connection on the back of the 3597. Plugging my power adapter directly into the Nuvi produces the same error message as plugging it into the mount.

@muell9k - the link to the adapter you posted above is the one I have ordered. Hopefully it solves the problem.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

I'm

Box Car wrote:

However, I have discovered with my 3597 if I attach a USB cord to the mount I can operate the nuvi as if it were connected to the vehicle outlet. As I use a Bean Bag mount, it comes in quite handy when wanting to simulate routes while charging from the USB port on the computer.

I'm confused, which is not an unusual occurrence. Are you saying you connect a mini USB to mini USB cable from the mount to the 3597? If so, aren't you just using the Nuvi on battery power while it sits on the bean bag mount. It seems to me that if your using the USB port on the mount for the USB cable you can't be using the same port for the power adapter.

I'm probably misunderstanding what your doing but hopefully you can clarify as I have a similar bean bag configuration on my desk as you do.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

@T923347

When my unit is "off" and I plug it in through the mount to my computer, the unit comes on in Navigation mode with the battery icon showing a power connection.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Someone

Someone on another forum asked my if it was possible that the new error message about the cable was, in itself an error, which I thought was an interesting question because:

"I get the error message and press OK to get rid of it. At that point the icon in the top right hand side of the screen, which should be green with a lightning bolt in it, shows red with an exclamation mark (I think) in it. I've never seen a red icon there before.

Anyway, the weird thing is that my screen doesn't go dim which I think it should if it was actually running on battery power and if I pull the cable out of the mount or device I get the "countdown" message that the device is about to turn off. I seems to me that both those things would indicate that the Nuvi is, in fact, being powered even though the original message would indicate that it isn't."

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Not

Box Car wrote:

When my unit is "off" and I plug it in through the mount to my computer, the unit comes on in Navigation mode with the battery icon showing a power connection.

Not for me. Connecting this way does bring the Nuvi up in Navigation mode but within a few seconds the Power Cable error message appears, just like it was being powered from the wall adapter. sad

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

An Option

t923347 wrote:

There is also a mini USB connection on the back of the 3597. Plugging my power adapter directly into the Nuvi produces the same error message as plugging it into the mount.

@muell9k - the link to the adapter you posted above is the one I have ordered. Hopefully it solves the problem.

I was wrong, I would have thought the 3597 would have a Micro USB port on the unit since it's a newer unit.

Now that you say that, I'm not so sure the adapter you ordered will fix the issue if you are now using a Genuine Garmin wall charger and not a generic one.

When the Garmin wall charger arrives, if it doesn't work I would return it to Garmin and let them know it's incompatible even though the 3597 is on the compatibility list. It has to be the 4.50 firmware
causing this.

I'm confident you have a backup of the previous firmware, if you install that and the Nuvi charges I would leave it installed, then notify Garmin of the defective 4.50 firmware. Perhaps they will fix it and release a corrected version.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Charming, really....

against my better judgment I just ordered the 3597 figuring I'd give Garmin another chance after some years away. The reviews here and elsewhere seemed positive. Now this...leave it to Garmin to p@@ in the punchbowl.

--
"You can't get there from here"

Chargers.

One interesting thing I noticed with my 4 wall chargers on the 3597 is that with the one that works (the one from my Samsung tablet), the nuvi goes immediately into navigation mode when plugged in. With the other 3 chargers, it starts out in PC connection mode, then after 30 seconds or so, reboots into navigation mode. Then the charger error message comes up after I press the "Agree" on the initial screen. With these 3 chargers, the 3597 always has started in PC mode, then rebooted into navigation mode, so that is normal. So the only thing that has changed is the error message rejecting the charger.

But it makes me think that there is something different in the signal coming in on the USB connection from these 3 chargers than there is on the Samsung charger. And I wonder if a different USB cable (a charger only cable?) might make a difference.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

I'll live

muell9k wrote:

I was wrong, I would have thought the 3597 would have a Micro USB port on the unit since it's a newer unit.

Now that you say that, I'm not so sure the adapter you ordered will fix the issue if you are now using a Genuine Garmin wall charger and not a generic one.

When the Garmin wall charger arrives, if it doesn't work I would return it to Garmin and let them know it's incompatible even though the 3597 is on the compatibility list. It has to be the 4.50 firmware
causing this.

I'm confident you have a backup of the previous firmware, if you install that and the Nuvi charges I would leave it installed, then notify Garmin of the defective 4.50 firmware. Perhaps they will fix it and release a corrected version.

I'll live with it for now and the adapter I've ordered was from Amazon Canada so it will be easy enough to return if it doesn't work. It's a Garmin adapter and was the same price as Garmin charges and I don't have all the custom stuff to deal with buying it in Canada instead of from the US.

I'll get in touch with Garmin and see what happens there. The old adapter I'm using is an orginal Garmin, that came with my Nuvi 350 and has given me 10 years of service. It just ticks me off that a software change could make it worthless or at less a PITA having to respond to the error message all the time.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Keep Us Posted

t923347 wrote:

I'll live with it for now and the adapter I've ordered was from Amazon Canada so it will be easy enough to return if it doesn't work. It's a Garmin adapter and was the same price as Garmin charges and I don't have all the custom stuff to deal with buying it in Canada instead of from the US.

Please let us know when the charger arrives if it works. I predict it won't and the issue is tied to the firmware.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

I predict it will :)

Based on my own testing with my non-garmin chargers. So it will be fun to see if muell9k or me is right smile

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Or

Or whether I've spent $30 or so when I didn't need to. grin

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

weird.

Ok, I have done some more testing, and this is getting weirder...read on.

I mentioned in the earlier post about my generic cigarette lighter USB adaptor that worked ... it is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Dual-Bullet-USB-2-Port-Car-Char...

Ok... no comments about being stupid for buying cheap chinese products on ebay redface

Anyway, I attributed the reason that this worked to the fact that it was going through the magnetic mount and not directly connected to the nuvi. That turns out to be wrong. This adapter has 2 ports, and they are advertised as being Ipad/Ipod compatible ... one port being 2.1 A the other being 1.1 A. Well, the ports are not marked, so there is no way to tell which is which.

So upon further testing, I find that one port works whether connected directly to the GPS or the mount. The other port does not work (gives the incompatible charger error after first showing PC mode) when connected either way. I have 2 of these adapters (I know! ... hold the laughter), one in my truck and one in my car. They both show the same symptoms.

So I am further convinced that there is something in the USB signal that causes the charger to be rejected. I don't think it is related to 2.1 A vs 1.0 A (read my earlier posts), but something about the way the data conductors (not the power conductors) are handled.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Type Of Wall Cahrger?

alandb wrote:

Based on my own testing with my non-garmin chargers. So it will be fun to see if muell9k or me is right smile

I'm still not clear if t923347 used a Garmin OEM charger or a generic one.

If it's an OEM my prediction stands, won't work.
If it's a generic one then you will be right.

We shall see. smile smile

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

My 660 Charger works

Just updated my 3597 using GE and it was quick.

My original Garmin charger for my 660 (PN# 362-00042-00, Model ADP-5FH B), which is rated at 5.0V 1A out works fine. The 3597 display brightened, it beeped (just like mounting it in the bean bag mount in the truck) and no error message.

Whew, money not needed to be spent on a new charger. cool

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

As

muell9k wrote:
alandb wrote:

Based on my own testing with my non-garmin chargers. So it will be fun to see if muell9k or me is right smile

I'm still not clear if t923347 used a Garmin OEM charger or a generic one.

If it's an OEM my prediction stands, won't work.
If it's a generic one then you will be right.

We shall see. smile smile

As I said in a post above, it is the Garmin charger that came with my Nuvi 350.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

My Bad

t923347 wrote:

As I said in a post above, it is the Garmin charger that came with my Nuvi 350.

Sorry I missed that you said it's the original charger that came with the Nuvi 350.

Interesting that member metricman states his 660 wall charger works with his 3597, I would think it's the same charger as your 350.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

3597 with HP Elitebook USB port

Updated to V4.5.

My 3497 still runs the same as with earlier versions of firmware as far as I can tell with one noticeable difference: the road closures are identified with additional roads-closed signs in addition to the red-back-red-black dashes on the map.

On the USB power port. My HP Elitebook has 4 USB ports, one of them is a "charging port". It probably has a higher current output capacity(?). The charging port only continues to provide power when the computer is in hibernation/sleep mode. The 3495 runs as a GPS when connected to the charging port with V4.5 and previous firmware. It runs in the connected USB device mode when connected to other USB ports.

Output Amp Rating!

muell9k wrote:
t923347 wrote:

As I said in a post above, it is the Garmin charger that came with my Nuvi 350.

Sorry I missed that you said it's the original charger that came with the Nuvi 350.

Interesting that member metricman states his 660 wall charger works with his 3597, I would think it's the same charger as your 350.

The rated "Output" amperage should be on a sticker on the device somewhere.

BUT - my battery was fully charged and that may make a difference. Software must somehow do a load test on the charger to see if it is sufficient enough of a device.

Since the 3597 is newer technology, one would assume that less battery is needed, even though the 3597 does more.

Guess we need to see what charger Garmin recommends and check the output amps.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Who has a 010-11478-02 charger?

A quick look at Garmin web site shows a 010-11478-02 charger for the 3597.

If anyone has one, please look at the sticker on it and let us know what the rated output amperage is. TIA.

BTW - Tiger Direct has it for $14.99

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

.

GPS City states that the 010-11478-02 outputs 5v at 1amp. I believe I have this same unit but it's at the my other residence on the other side of town so I can't verify it until Monday. Still, I believe GPS City's stated specs. YouTube video is below & the specs are stated at the end of the video (~2:15 minute mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2sWm9KF7eU

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Garmin Wall Charger Specs

To The best of my knowledge, ALL Garmin OEM wall chargers are rated at 5V 1 amp. So, since member t923347's charger is a Garmin OEM, I'm stumped on why his won't work on his 3597.

He said it worked previously before the 4.50 firmware upgrade so that's what leads me to believe the firmware is causing the error message.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

The

The adapter I'm using is from my 350. It's Garmin part # 362-00028-03 and rated 5V 1.0A.

I've just had laser work done on both my eyes this afternoon so I hope I can see that part number right. grin

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

.

Rick,

I hope my laser pointer did it's job well. You can return it to me at your convenience. mrgreen

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

depends

DorkusNimrod wrote:

Rick,

I hope my laser pointer did it's job well. You can return it to me at your convenience. mrgreen

Was it green, red or blue?

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Garmin cable

The warning that pops up when charging my 3597 says to "use the cable supplied." I dug out that short cable and tried it when attached to the computer. It fails, so it's not the cable that is a requirement, at least when attached to a USB port on the computer.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

further test

I took an old cell phone charger with a removable USB cable and swapped the original HTC cable with the Garmin cable from my 3597. No warning; it appears the change measures both the amount of current and if the cable is a true Garmin cable with the resistor. Someone may want to verify this independently.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Garmin OEM Charger

I have four Garmin nuvi models: 660, 775, 3790 and 3597.
Several years ago I got a Garmin OEM AC Adapter (Charger): P/N 362-00028-03, Model TRC-05-1000, Output 5V 1.0A.
This charger works fine with all devices. (I have to use a tiny mini USB to micro USB adapter for the 3790, because it has a micro USB cocket.)
I like to use this Garmin wall-charger at home, when playing with the nuvis, simulating routes, looking for POIs, etc.
Yesteday I updated the nuvi 3597 software to version 4.50 and now I receiving a warning: "The attached power cable cannot charge your device."
This same charger has definitely worked fine with the 3597 before the software version 4.50 and it is still working fine with all of my other devices.
This software update has made my nuvi 3597 uncompitable with the Garmin OEM Charger. What is the solution?

--
Garmin 660, 775, 3790, 3597 and ecoRoute HD.

here's the solution

Cosmopolitan wrote:

What is the solution?

Give your 3597 to me!! smile

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Wait

Cosmopolitan wrote:

....This software update has made my nuvi 3597 uncompitable with the Garmin OEM Charger. What is the solution?

I bet Garmin is catching a lot of flack because of this and will soon have an update to fix it. And mess up something else. smile

More & More Confusing

Cosmopolitan wrote:

I have four Garmin nuvi models: 660, 775, 3790 and 3597.
Several years ago I got a Garmin OEM AC Adapter (Charger): P/N 362-00028-03, Model TRC-05-1000, Output 5V 1.0A.
This charger works fine with all devices. (I have to use a tiny mini USB to micro USB adapter for the 3790, because it has a micro USB cocket.)
I like to use this Garmin wall-charger at home, when playing with the nuvis, simulating routes, looking for POIs, etc.
Yesteday I updated the nuvi 3597 software to version 4.50 and now I receiving a warning: "The attached power cable cannot charge your device."
This same charger has definitely worked fine with the 3597 before the software version 4.50 and it is still working fine with all of my other devices.
This software update has made my nuvi 3597 uncompitable with the Garmin OEM Charger. What is the solution?

You state your 3597 has a Micro USB post on the back of the Nuvi. Member t923347 states his has a mini USB port.

t923347 wrote:

There is also a mini USB connection on the back of the 3597. Plugging my power adapter directly into the Nuvi produces the same error message as plugging it into the mount.

By bypassing the power cradle and plugging directly into the back of the 3597 should eliminate the power cradle USB connector being the cause (maybe reduced voltage/amps?).
If it still gets the error message when plugged into the back of the 3597 then we can assume the firmware caused it since it worked properly before.

Best way to know for sure if it's a 4.50 firmware issue is is to install the prior version of firmware that was working without the error message.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

More info.

Here are a couple of screen shots from my 3597 that may shed some light on this. Sorry for the digital camera shots, I couldn't figure out how to use screen shot mode on this particular screen.

Alan's 3597 charger diagnostics

To summarize what I have posted in the other posts...

Charger A is a 2.1A 5V charger that came with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet

Charger B is a 2.1A 5V charger from Monoprice, advertised as "Wall charger for Apple Ipod, Iphone, Ipad. It came with the 30 pin apple cord, but I have used it to charge many USB devices including my nuvi's.

I used the same USB cord with both chargers. Note the differences in Battery, Limit USB, USB Device and Battery Current. When I connect Charger A, the nuvi goes directly into navigation mode and charges with no error. When I connect Charger B, the nuvi goes into PC mode, then after about 20 seconds reboots into navigation mode and gives the charger error.

I still think this issue has more to do with the way these chargers handle the data signal rather than the power being output.

As I was researching the Samsung charger, I found this You Tube video that may also add a possible variable to the issue:

How To Make A High Speed USB Charging Cable For Samsung Phones

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

.

Off topic, I know but your porch view is killer, Alan!

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Thanks Serg!

grin

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

alandb wrote: nuvi 35x7 and

alandb wrote:

nuvi 35x7 and 35x8 (GCD File) software version 4.50

as of September 18, 2014

Use Garmin Express to install this file.

(61.14 MB)

---------------------------------------------------------

Change History

◦Improved map display performance.

Has anyone noticed if there is a change of map display with the zoom level?
On my nuvi 2597 the zoom level that showed all the roads has been reduced from 800m to 500m.
I am fumming with this change and I want to revert back to version 4.40.

DPPM Reg.

I have been googling to see what "DPPM Reg" means (see my earlier post with the screen shots). Found it on a TI site ... Dynamic Power-Path Management Regulator ... Feature Allowing the AC Adapter to Simultaneously Power the System and Charge the Battery.

I am really tempted to sacrifice a USB cable and make a "fast charger" cable as demonstrated in the You Tube video from my post above. If I do this, I will test it on my old 755 nuvi first ... If I don't see any smoke, I will try it on the 3597.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

I see

zemartelo wrote:

Change History

◦Improved map display performance.

Has anyone noticed if there is a change of map display with the zoom level?
On my nuvi 2597 the zoom level that showed all the roads has been reduced from 800m to 500m.
I am fumming with this change and I want to revert back to version 4.40.

I see no difference in street display between 800m and 500m on my 3597. The full road display doesn't change until the zoom level is at 1.2km.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

muell9k I did not state,

muell9k
I did not state, that my 3597 has a Micro USB port on the back of the nuvi.
I said that my 3790 has a Micro USB port.
Thanks for your reply anyway.

--
Garmin 660, 775, 3790, 3597 and ecoRoute HD.

I Stand Corrected

Cosmopolitan wrote:

muell9k
I did not state, that my 3597 has a Micro USB port on the back of the nuvi.
I said that my 3790 has a Micro USB port.
Thanks for your reply anyway.

I apologize, my mistake on description of location and model.
I've never seen a model series (3790 or 3797) have a different USB port, apparently I was mistaken.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units
Page 1>>