My 40 went nuts today

 

Leaving my home for the next city south, Garmin always tells me to take a secondary route. But, since the motherboard between my ears take priority, I go north for 4 miles and hit the Interstate. About 1/2 mile past the turnoff for that secondary route, Garmin recalcs and gives me the interstate option. Every time.

Today I headed to that city to have lunch with my son. About 2 miles past the cutoff, I had to return home to get something I forgot. I entered Home as a via point.

Everything was OK until, after leaving home, I passed the Garmin-suggested turnoff. Garmin then told me to make a U-Turn every chance it could (I have U-Turns turned on). I continued to the Interstate, with Garmin telling me to make a U-Turn on every attached road. Once on the Interstate, it gave me directions that were new. Told me to exit the interstate in a few miles and take a side route.

I would have loved to see where it thought I wanted to go, but since I was driving, I just cancelled the route and re-entered the restaurant. It initially gave me an ETA of about 45 minutes, which is wrong. A few miles down the road it corrected the ETA with a correct one.

Do you think Karen was having a 'blonde moment'?

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

missed via

Since you entered your home as a via, my guess is that the nuvi never recognized that you arrived at the via. Therefore it kept trying to take you back home to satisfy the via.

I have seen this annoying behavior of missed vias with both of my older nuvi's on occasion.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Yes

I think you are right. Even though it said I arrived at home, it apparently didn't clear it.

I noticed before that sometimes, even though I arrive at my destination, the next time I turn the GPS on, it is still thinking it is on the route.

Is there a way, on the NUVI40, to cancel a via point without cancelling the entire route?

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Don't think so.

Since the Nuvi 40 does not have the ability to save and edit routes, I don't think you can remove a missed via. On my older nuvi's you can select Tools > Routes > Active route > Edit > Add/Remove points. But I doubt if that function exists on your 40. It may not even exist on the higher end 2012 models since they have Trip Planner instead of routes.

In any case since you only had 1 via set, it is probably just as easy to cancel the active route and re-enter your destination.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Do you have the 2013.10 map

David King wrote:

Leaving my home for the next city south, Garmin always tells me to take a secondary route. But, since the motherboard between my ears take priority, I go north for 4 miles and hit the Interstate. About 1/2 mile past the turnoff for that secondary route, Garmin recalcs and gives me the interstate option. Every time.

Today I headed to that city to have lunch with my son. About 2 miles past the cutoff, I had to return home to get something I forgot. I entered Home as a via point.

Everything was OK until, after leaving home, I passed the Garmin-suggested turnoff. Garmin then told me to make a U-Turn every chance it could (I have U-Turns turned on). I continued to the Interstate, with Garmin telling me to make a U-Turn on every attached road. Once on the Interstate, it gave me directions that were new. Told me to exit the interstate in a few miles and take a side route.

I would have loved to see where it thought I wanted to go, but since I was driving, I just cancelled the route and re-entered the restaurant. It initially gave me an ETA of about 45 minutes, which is wrong. A few miles down the road it corrected the ETA with a correct one.

Do you think Karen was having a 'blonde moment'?

If you have the 2013.10 map(s), then I'm not surprised at any weird routing you get. I certainly hope Garmin fixes the routing algorithims in the next revision.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Prob not

alandb wrote:

Since the Nuvi 40 does not have the ability to save and edit routes, I don't think you can remove a missed via. On my older nuvi's you can select Tools > Routes > Active route > Edit > Add/Remove points. But I doubt if that function exists on your 40. It may not even exist on the higher end 2012 models since they have Trip Planner instead of routes.

In any case since you only had 1 via set, it is probably just as easy to cancel the active route and re-enter your destination.

I don't have that path, so probably can't do it.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

2012.40

metricman wrote:

If you have the 2013.10 map(s), then I'm not surprised at any weird routing you get. I certainly hope Garmin fixes the routing algorithims in the next revision.

Idiot me didn't get lifetime maps. sad

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Similar thing happened today

Set my Where TO for work, then set a via for a plaque engravers. The last time I was at the engravers, I set it as a favorite.

It never cleared the via, even though I parked at the SAME spot as when I saved it.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN