new & interesting places for your GPS

Legislation to Restrict Use of Cameras (California)

 

In the Aug.31,2011 editon of the Orange County Register, the Assembly voted 50-3 to require that red-light cameras be usesd for public safety and not to generate revenue from traffic fines.

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

I wished they do that in

I wished they do that in NYC. They're towing cars away for unpaid RLC fines all the time here. So, if they don't generate revenue, how does is this being used for public safety only? Someone has to pay for those cameras. Doesn't make sense.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

That's interesting

You not only get the RLC ticket, but the tow fee and storage fee. The city is getting a triple income on that one.
Where are they going to store all the vehicles they tow? There is no room for anything in NYC.

Preroll wrote:

I wished they do that in NYC. They're towing cars away for unpaid RLC fines all the time here.

--
Nuvi 650 and 1350.

Sorry. Been awhile since

Sorry. Been awhile since logging in.

They're all stored on the Pier on 12th Avenue. After so much time, the city auctions off the cars if nobody comes to claim their car. Nice huh?!

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

My Wish -

I hope they have to prove the accident rate has decreased - or - take the camera out.

I believe a lot of the cameras are leased - so to speak - and the company reads the pictures and generates the summons. The lessors get their cut - of course they do - of the income from the summons they generate.

CA

There is not much that comes from our California Assembly that means much. Heck, how many years has it been since they have passed a budget on time. That's right they have never been told that there is one due every year.

NYC DOF

The fines in NYC are generated from the DOF (Department Of Finance). They are NOT a law enforcement agency. How they are able to administer fines for a traffic infraction is a complete and total scam!

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Why?

Preroll wrote:

The fines in NYC are generated from the DOF (Department Of Finance). They are NOT a law enforcement agency. How they are able to administer fines for a traffic infraction is a complete and total scam!

What do you believe is it in the systems of laws that prohibits a DOF from administering fines against anyone breaking any law punishable by a fine?

What exactly is a "law enforcement" agency in your mind?

nickjr wrote:In the

nickjr wrote:

In the Aug.31,2011 editon of the Orange County Register, the Assembly voted 50-3 to require that red-light cameras be usesd for public safety and not to generate revenue from traffic fines.

That might eat into their profits. Maybe, ATS will sue Orange County, too.

http://thenewspaper.com/news/36/3636.asp

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/nov/11/lawsuit-seeks-to-re...

Red Light Cameras (California)

When it comes to decision time the money generated will usually win out over common sense and safety.

fishy...

That sounds like something that was passed purely to silence camera critics - how on earth do you enforce the intent? And even if a camera was initially installed for safety, if it stays in place for revenue who will know?

nickjr wrote:

In the Aug.31,2011 editon of the Orange County Register, the Assembly voted 50-3 to require that red-light cameras be usesd for public safety and not to generate revenue from traffic fines.

NYC DOF

jgermann wrote:
Preroll wrote:

The fines in NYC are generated from the DOF (Department Of Finance). They are NOT a law enforcement agency. How they are able to administer fines for a traffic infraction is a complete and total scam!

What do you believe is it in the systems of laws that prohibits a DOF from administering fines against anyone breaking any law punishable by a fine?

What exactly is a "law enforcement" agency in your mind?

How about the police department?

The DOF for NY is a taxation department.

Right off Wiki:
The Department's primary operational goals are[1]:

Ensuring compliance with the City's tax and revenue laws
Providing up-to-date information to residents and taxpayers
Valuation of real property in the City
Recording and maintaining property records
Providing business centers in each borough for the public to pay bills in-person or to dispute tax and parking issues

>>Parking issues is one thing. A red light is a moving violation.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Amazing, someone in

Amazing, someone in government actually putting citizen's interests above government greed.

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

yes, but no

Preroll wrote:

How about the police department?

The DOF for NY is a taxation department.

Right off Wiki:
The Department's primary operational goals are[1]:

Ensuring compliance with the City's tax and revenue laws
Providing up-to-date information to residents and taxpayers
Valuation of real property in the City
Recording and maintaining property records
Providing business centers in each borough for the public to pay bills in-person or to dispute tax and parking issues

>>Parking issues is one thing. A red light is a moving violation.

Tickets issued by the cameras are classified as civil infractions the same as parking tickets. If they were moving violations you could also be assessed points on your driver license.

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

blahhh

nickjr wrote:

In the Aug.31,2011 editon of the Orange County Register, the Assembly voted 50-3 to require that red-light cameras be usesd for public safety and not to generate revenue from traffic fines.

THere will always be statistics showing that it helps safety, so this is a moot point.

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 21 users and 54 guests online.

Online users

  • Flowbee
  • gerrydrake
  • barnwellm
  • RobertWhitney
  • thurst461
  • jgermann
  • piperbiker
  • Juggernaut
  • grampa-2007
  • Ctwinger