Too Much Snow

 

WHAT A WEEK!

Between late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning we had around 4 inches of snow that hardened into a slippery mess. We had some flurries for most of the rest of Wednesday and then the proverbial you-know-what hit the fan. From around 7:00 PM Wednesday night through Thursday morning we had another 10 inches of snow.

Because of poor road conditions and streets not being plowed we lost two days of working. That means we'll have to work tomorrow just so we won't fall too far behind. Even today, a trip to one of our jobs that should have taken about 45 minutes took just about double that.

WHERE IS SPRING?????

Page 1>>

Not trying to rub it in but....

it was 73 degrees here in Phoenix today. No snow shoveling here lately.

That's Alright...

At least our Sixers beat your Suns. razz

New England got about 18" on Wednesday

Easily 2 feet on the ground in NE CT.

--
non-native nutmegger

Snow

The Northeast has really gotten hammered this winter. What is scary is that we still have to go through February and March.

Actually the Midwest has been hit hard too. I remember reading recently that there is only one state that hasn't gotten any snow yet this winter. No, it's not Hawaii, it's Florida.

So this is what they call

So this is what they call Global Warming?

They should Now call up with

They should Now call up with global cooling.

Be Content

I have learned a long time ago to be content.
I live in Ohio where Winter comes faithfully every year;
I used to live in South America where there is nothing that appears anywhere near to snow....
But I would not change a thing when every year I return to do missions work and see the need of those who have the good weather but suffer the plight of poverty daily.
Thank you Lord for the snow, the rain, the cold, the heat, and even the obstacles that come to make me stronger....

--
Being ALL I can be for HIM! Jesus. Kenwood DNX9980HD Garmin 885t

Well, I'm in NYC. We are

Well, I'm in NYC. We are sick & tired of the snow in this month. Someone hit my car @ night sad

--
Street Pilot C340, nuvi 265WT, Mio Moov 300, nuvi 255W, Navigon 2100 (Retired)

@kmo

Keep that snow in NYC.Don't send it south.Having some cool weather in central FL but nothing like what is going on north.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Played golf in my shorts

Played golf in shorts today. 71 degrees grin

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Where is Spring

Here in brooklyn new york, we received around
15 inches thursday morning. There's a pattern forming each week on wednesday and thursday when we get a Storm with intensity. So far for this winter season we got dumped with 56 inches of snow. We need 19 more inches to break the record. Can't wait for the spring ?. To be continued.

.

We need a snowfall POI file. wink

Global Warming and Snowfall

GARYLAP wrote:

So this is what they call Global Warming?

You don't get much snow when it gets REALLY cold! My brother-in-law in Yellowknife says it snow up there only two or three times each winter - all the other snow blows in from the Yukon ( smile that's an NWT joke)

We have had almost a foot of

We have had almost a foot of snow or more here in the sunny south so far.

The snow isn't so bad...

it's the ice that's a pain. I live on a hill, and my drive way turns into a bobsled course for a week or so evey winter. So far, it has stayed being a giant slalom course since Christmas.

--
-Garmin Nuvi 760 & 765T-

It Could be Worse

Just think how bad our weather would be if we didn't have global warming. I'm for more CO2.

Wow ...

... I guess we've been fairly lucky here in Detroit ... have only seen a few inches here and there all winter so far ... still, I am incredibly sick of the cold, and wish for a swift return to warm weather so I can get out on the Harley ... maybe in about six weeks or so ...

--

it's the dog's fault

--
Garmin nuvi 2455 - nuvi 350, 260 (spares) - my other toys: IMac quad-core i3, Mac Mini, MacOS: Mojave 10.14.6 and introducing The Beast, a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit and his Garmin DriveSmart 5. The dog's name is Ginger.

Yeah!

Mike107 wrote:

Just think how bad our weather would be if we didn't have global warming. I'm for more CO2.

Yeah! Everyone start exhaling more CO2! wink

--
Bob: My toys: Nüvi 1390T, Droid X2, Nook Color (rooted), Motorola Xoom, Kindle 2, a Yo-Yo and a Slinky. Gotta have toys.

Just

Bogarts_Falcon wrote:

WHAT A WEEK!

Between late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning we had around 4 inches of snow that hardened into a slippery mess. We had some flurries for most of the rest of Wednesday and then the proverbial you-know-what hit the fan. From around 7:00 PM Wednesday night through Thursday morning we had another 10 inches of snow.

Because of poor road conditions and streets not being plowed we lost two days of working. That means we'll have to work tomorrow just so we won't fall too far behind. Even today, a trip to one of our jobs that should have taken about 45 minutes took just about double that.

WHERE IS SPRING?????

around the corner!! Hang in there!

--
Garmin Nuvi 650, Garmin eTrexLegend, Magellan 360

Spring

rettollcapt wrote:
Bogarts_Falcon wrote:

WHAT A WEEK!

Between late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning we had around 4 inches of snow that hardened into a slippery mess. We had some flurries for most of the rest of Wednesday and then the proverbial you-know-what hit the fan. From around 7:00 PM Wednesday night through Thursday morning we had another 10 inches of snow.

Because of poor road conditions and streets not being plowed we lost two days of working. That means we'll have to work tomorrow just so we won't fall too far behind. Even today, a trip to one of our jobs that should have taken about 45 minutes took just about double that.

WHERE IS SPRING?????

around the corner!! Hang in there!

I sure hope so.

I have to admit though, I'm a cold weather person. I just don't like the snow and ice that it sometimes brings.

I'm not talking about temperatures or wind-chills below zero, but I would rather have a temperature of 40 to 60 degrees than something above 65.

Here We Go Again...Another Week, More Snow

The weather forecast is an 80% chance of snow tonight, adding about 1" to what we still have on the ground.

Tuesday we'll get snow during the morning. It will mix with and change to freezing rain and rain during the afternoon. This will add about another inch of snow.

Later on Tuesday we'll get freezing drizzle in the evening...with a mix of rain and freezing rain overnight.

We will also have rain all day Wednesday. Well, at least that might melt some of the snow.

To top it off, according to the extended forecast we will be getting snow on Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday. AIN'T LIFE GRAND?

To quote Charlie Brown "AAUGH!"

Hey Vegasbound

I hear ya! I live in Apache Junction. We didn't shovel any snow here either! Although I did notice a cloud in the sky yesterday, so I got a little nervous.

I Had it with This!

More snow on Long Island, can't stand it anymore, where is Summer!

--
Nuvi 50LM Nuvi 2555LM

Summer

frainc wrote:

More snow on Long Island, can't stand it anymore, where is Summer!

A few months past Spring...which isn't here yet.

Although come Spring/Summer I guess we'll be here complaining about the heat. sad smile

I'm not a fan of professional sports

so I am not familiar with the scores of either the Sixers of the Suns. In fact, a few years ago when the Suns were in the playoffs, a friend at work gave me two tickets to go to the game. I gave them back and said thanks, but I am not interested.

I gave up on watching, listening to or reading about pro sports soon after the second MLB strike and have not returned to the professional sports venue since. I do however follow some college football teams and enjoy watching them on TV.

I'm nervous because it is overcast

and the weather guys are predicting 29 degrees night time here toward the end of the week. Any temperature under 45 degrees has me shivering. When I do my morning workout I am in gloves, a watch cap and gator around my neck.

I don't know how folks can live in that below zero climate with the precipitation that sometimes accompanies it.

It seems my sister in upstate New York has been shoveling snow at least twice a week since just after Tnanksgiving. That is not my idea of fun and I do not plan on doing that anytime soon.

more snow/ice on the way this week

I agree.

I have had enough of this.

The kids missed 3 days of school last week. The communte home on Wednesday was horrible.

Not looking forward to more of this!

Sports

Vegasbound wrote:

so I am not familiar with the scores of either the Sixers of the Suns. In fact, a few years ago when the Suns were in the playoffs, a friend at work gave me two tickets to go to the game. I gave them back and said thanks, but I am not interested.

I gave up on watching, listening to or reading about pro sports soon after the second MLB strike and have not returned to the professional sports venue since. I do however follow some college football teams and enjoy watching them on TV.

I am an avid sports fan but I would rather watch most games at home. It's not that I don't like being at a game, I just don't like fighting the traffic going to and coming from it.

More Snow

We've had above normal snow fall this year. That, coupled with saturated ground from a previous wet summer means they are now forecasting probable severe flooding in our part of the world,(Red River Valley, including Fargo, Grand Forks, Winnipeg) especially if the spring melt happens fast.

I think we will all be busy sandbagging in a couple of months.

snow

It was our all-time record here in NYC.

--
ak

I Couldn't Stand the Snow but...

chimchim12 wrote:

I agree.

I have had enough of this.

The kids missed 3 days of school last week. The communte home on Wednesday was horrible.

Not looking forward to more of this!

I had my 7 years old grandson with me for 3 days last week...and I LOVED it.

snow/ice

Be careful what you wish for, I beleive an ICE storm is next in line for NYC.

Snow is great for

Snow is great for snowboarding. Daily living, not so much.

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

I've Often Thought The Same Thing..!!

GARYLAP wrote:

So this is what they call Global Warming?

I've often thought the same thing as you. If it's suppose to be "Global Warming", then why is there so much snow and cold weather all over. confused

I remember one weather news forecast a few weeks ago that said there was freezing (32* or below) temps AND snow in 49 of the 50 states that day.. (with Florida being the one that didn't). surprised

So GaryLap.. you're right! If it's "Global Warming".. then why is just the opposite happening all around question Doesn't make any sense to me.

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

Hawaii had snow??

Maybe way up at the observatory on the big island...

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Ask Koch

The Koch brothers have been spreading this belief that Global Climate Change is not proven science. Of course you are free to believe the very rich that profit over increased fossil fuel use. It may already be too late to fix this.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Rather have the tiny white invaders than ICE STORMS

jolette wrote:

Be careful what you wish for, I beleive an ICE storm is next in line for NYC.

Given a choice between snowstorms and ice-storms, I'll DEFINITELY take the former over the latter. grin

Where I'm at, we've actually had snow on the ground more often than not this year--and I'm very, very thankful it's not the usual "wintry mix" or freezing rain we tend to get.

Last time we had a monster snow (nearly 26") it shut down the city for a month--but we didn't have the power outages we had when we had over 2 inches of freezing rain (where the city was shut down for a month, and the power was out for nearly three weeks--WHY my city doesn't just go to underground lines, I don't know, especially as we're also in a "driveway of Tornado Alley" and tend to get severe windstorms).

I do have to say that the occasional fits of tiny white invaders ARE a pleasant change here from our USUAL winter weather (which consists usually of a) rain, b) freezing rain, c) overtly tornadic severe thunderstorms, or d) tiny white invaders, often by the great gross). As the weather has been remarkably stable this winter, I fear for when tornado season starts proper. grin

That said--my commisserations to those of you in the Northeast US. Had a friend in the Arlington area talking about his nightmare 9-hour drive home (of all of 17 miles) thanks to trillions of tiny white invaders and the fact that Washington, DC--whilst prepared for snow--isn't prepared for THAT much snow at once...

"Warming" may be "Warm enough to snow"

Nuvi1300WTGPS wrote:
GARYLAP wrote:

So this is what they call Global Warming?

I've often thought the same thing as you. If it's suppose to be "Global Warming", then why is there so much snow and cold weather all over. confused

I remember one weather news forecast a few weeks ago that said there was freezing (32* or below) temps AND snow in 49 of the 50 states that day.. (with Florida being the one that didn't). surprised

So GaryLap.. you're right! If it's "Global Warming".. then why is just the opposite happening all around question Doesn't make any sense to me.

Nuvi1300WTGPS

As counterintuitive as it sounds, global climate change (and yes, this includes global warming--though not all parts of the globe are warming) actually could cause more snow...because the parts of the world that Alberta Clippers come from often are (as odd as it sounds) too cold to snow. (Were it not for the snow, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories would legitimately be considered a desert--they might pick up a few inches of precipitation a YEAR. That's because the average winter temps are so low there that it's actually too cold for regular precipitation. Same goes for Antarctica--it'd be a desert were it not for the ice pack, and some of the few areas that aren't covered in snowpack like the Dry Valleys near McMurdo Base ARE considered deserts.)

As warming happens, it becomes JUST warm enough to pick up moisture--which means more snow. (Yes, as odd as it sounds, in winter "global warming" CAN equal "tiny white invaders"--it's not "New York will have Florida's climate", more it's "It's just warm enough to put more energy into the atmosphere to make thundersnow happen".)

Of course, a lot of this may not just be global climate change--we're in a pretty strong La Nina, as I understand it (which always means snowy winters here and BAD severe weather seasons).

Global Warming

"If it's suppose to be "Global Warming", then why is there so much snow and cold weather all over. :???:"

One must stop and think before making rash statements. One has to picture a suspended ball in the air and it has increased its temperature by 1 degree over a years time. It is not only your neighborhood but the person living on the other side of this ball. Yesterday my cousin from Australia emailed me and said it was 107 degrees in the shade and liked the pictures of the snow I sent her. Last year we in Iowa had a record amount of snow from November to March but this year I used the snow blower only once up to today. If you watched the news, there are several Islands in the Pacific going under because of the rising ocean. That is why it is GLOBAL.

A half inch of freezing rain

A half inch of freezing rain expected in the Washington, DC area tomorrow. Snow is easy. Try driving on this stuff. You are more likely to take out a redlight or speed camera under these conditions.

Oh well; spring is just around the corner!

Fred

Ice tonight!

Ice tonight!

Ice over the next few days

Snow I can deal with. The thought of an ice storm isn't so fun.

What about Pickled Ice?

...and the thought of getting rid of that ice Tuesday and Wednesday!

Had to laugh when I heard this on NPR this morningand questioned if it was a real story:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/01/25/cash-strapped-bergen-...

I can say a lot of things about New Jersey, but I guess I can't say they aren't thinking out of the box.

.

I feel for you guys.

Here in Hawaii we throw on extra blankets when it gets in the 60's!

Get away from the snow

Just remember it is summer in Australia.
No snow. Use to be there was a lot of pictures in the papers of girls in bikinis, Now there is just a lot of water and a cyclone headed their way.
I think I will stick with the snow, at least if it gets hot it will melt

--
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

Blankets?

If it's in the 60's I don't need blankets. mrgreen

Timing is everything

I sure am glad that this storm is happening now and not next Monday. On Monday my wife and I are scheduled to fly out of Cleveland for Key West for eight days. I'm not concerned about THIS storm affecting us by Monday; I just hope there's not another storm lurking out there somewhere.

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

What storm?

I do not see any storm for when I was young and there was no "Bobbing Heads Reporters" we just continued life after a snow fall. Tonight my wife found that she did not have enough milk to finish the evening meal and asked that I go to the corner store and buy some milk. I found the store filled and many people filling their carts with food as if it was the end of the world. If I ran out of food I could walk to three stores if needed. This to me is a average snow fall and nothing else but I just realized that my gas tank for my snow blower is half empty and I might have to walk to the gas station if the snow fall is as great as they scream.

To hot

hot, Hot, HOT..... watering the garden everyday for the last couple of weeks. Still no rain... dryazabone!! Temps. mid 30'sC, jumping to 40C (104F) tomorrow. The lawn is a light shade of brown. Just keeping the pot plants and what is left in the veggie garden alive.

My cousin in Australia

normal

kurzemnieks wrote:

hot, Hot, HOT..... watering the garden everyday for the last couple of weeks. Still no rain... dryazabone!! Temps. mid 30'sC, jumping to 40C (104F) tomorrow. The lawn is a light shade of brown. Just keeping the pot plants and what is left in the veggie garden alive.

My cousin in Australia

you do realize that is expected for Australia this time of year.

Page 1>>