Custom Avoidances

 

Does anyone know which units offer the ability to assign roads or areas to avoid besides the 855?

MapSource

Avoidances can be uploaded via software on any Garmin unit with MapSource. I am not sure how much the software costs.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

custom avoid.

I believe jmatt is incorrect about custom avoids. Routes imported from Mapsource include start, stop and any explicitly set via's, but not route avoid specifications. The nuvi recalculates the route using the explicit via's.

There were some Street Pilot models that had custom avoid capabilities, but in the nuvi series, I think only the 8x5 and 5000 models have it.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

MapSource Avoidances

MapSource lets you define Avoidances, but you cannot download them into the Nuvi. They are useful when you are building a route - in MapSource only. For units that support stored routes, the saved route will honor the avoidances. But if you recalculate or alter the route once it has been downloaded into the Nuvi, you will lose the effect of the avoidances.

Route transfer with avoidance.

johnc wrote:

For units that support stored routes, the saved route will honor the avoidances. But if you recalculate or alter the route once it has been downloaded into the Nuvi, you will lose the effect of the avoidances.

Johnc, you apparently know a way to make this work that I haven't figured out. Could you share the process you use to transfer the route from Mapsource to the nuvi that preserves the custom avoidance?

The only way I know to transfer a route from Mapsource to the nuvi is to use the Transfer menu. This step copies the .gpx file to the nuvi's \Garmin\GPX folder. Then on the nuvi I use Tools - My Data - Import route from file. When I do that the nuvi recalculates the route before saving it and the custom avoidances are not preserved. I just tested this on both my nuvi's (755T and 855). In both cases the nuvi recalculated the route on the "Import route from file" selection, and therefore the custom avoid was not preserved from Mapsouce to the nuvi.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Works fine for me

alandb wrote:

Johnc, you apparently know a way to make this work that I haven't figured out. Could you share the process you use to transfer the route from Mapsource to the nuvi that preserves the custom avoidance?

I don't know what I'm doing differently, but that's how it works for me. I just manually marked off a short stretch of road near my home that I wish to avoid. Without this road being marked, my Nuvi ALWAYS has me take this road and intersection when routing to anything east of my home. I built a route from home to work, using only those two waypoints. The Mapsource route now avoids that road section and intersection. When I call it up in the Nuvi 760, it follows that route and avoids that intersection. If I miss a turn and it recalculates, it will send me through that intersection again.

To be honest, I found it far easier to just let Mapsource calculate the routes and then use the rubber band method to drag the routes elsewhere when I wanted to take a specific road. Those have always worked the same way in the Nuvi. As long as I never leave the route and have it recalculate, it will run the route exactly as it was laid out in Mapsource.

As of today the Nuvi 8XX is

As of today the Nuvi 8XX is the only series that you can avoid roads. the old 26XX and 28XX had the same feature.

How do you "call it up"?

johnc wrote:

I don't know what I'm doing differently, but that's how it works for me. I just manually marked off a short stretch of road near my home that I wish to avoid. Without this road being marked, my Nuvi ALWAYS has me take this road and intersection when routing to anything east of my home. I built a route from home to work, using only those two waypoints. The Mapsource route now avoids that road section and intersection. When I call it up in the Nuvi 760, it follows that route and avoids that intersection. If I miss a turn and it recalculates, it will send me through that intersection again.

Just to be clear, how do you "call it up in the nuvi 760", from Mapsource? Are you using the "Import route from file" and if so are you saying it doesn't recalculate when you do that?

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

5000?

gadget_man wrote:

As of today the Nuvi 8XX is the only series that you can avoid roads. the old 26XX and 28XX had the same feature.

I am not 100% sure, but I was thinking the nuvi 5000 also had the custom avoid feature.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Custom Avoidances

After I did this posting I went to Garmin's websight and going through each model manual, The 855 is the only one I could find that would allow 'Custom avoidances' and maybe the 885. I think I went through them all.

5000 no route avoidance

I just downloaded the 5000 manual and you are correct gforys; no route avoidance on the 5000. Thanks for the correction.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Custom Avoidances

Custom Avoidances is one of the most important features that should be in a GPS. For instance, known construction along your route, low clearances for those with big rigs, accidents which close roads, etc.

dobs108 smile

Custom Avoidances

I am looking forward to using 'Custom avoicances' because in my area I have roads and/or areas I don't want to travel. I am hoping the 855 will retain those avoidances in memory for me. (Maybe in a file somewhere)

same here

alandb wrote:
johnc wrote:

I don't know what I'm doing differently, but that's how it works for me. I just manually marked off a short stretch of road near my home that I wish to avoid. Without this road being marked, my Nuvi ALWAYS has me take this road and intersection when routing to anything east of my home. I built a route from home to work, using only those two waypoints. The Mapsource route now avoids that road section and intersection. When I call it up in the Nuvi 760, it follows that route and avoids that intersection. If I miss a turn and it recalculates, it will send me through that intersection again.

Just to be clear, how do you "call it up in the nuvi 760", from Mapsource? Are you using the "Import route from file" and if so are you saying it doesn't recalculate when you do that?

I would love to learn how you are opening your route on the nuvi...I would use this a lot on my 765T, but have never gotten it to work.

as alandb said, mine always recalculates

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

Never Recalculates Routes

alandb wrote:

Just to be clear, how do you "call it up in the nuvi 760", from Mapsource? Are you using the "Import route from file" and if so are you saying it doesn't recalculate when you do that?

In MapSource, I select Send to Device and check the Routes checkbox.
On the Nuvi, "Import Route from File".
Tap Where to, Routes, and select my Route.
Tap Go.

Depending on where I am in relation to the route, the Nuvi will prompt me to "Navigate to the highlighted route" or it may ask me if I want to navigate to the beginning of the route.

I have never had the Nuvi recalculate after tapping Go. If I have been driving on the route and then take a significant detour or miss a turn, it will recalculate then, and it will lose the effect of the avoidance, because it's not there on the Nuvi. But the original route will be followed exactly as I saw it on the MapSource screen.

Route import.

johnc wrote:

In MapSource, I select Send to Device and check the Routes checkbox.
On the Nuvi, "Import Route from File".
Tap Where to, Routes, and select my Route.
Tap Go.

Depending on where I am in relation to the route, the Nuvi will prompt me to "Navigate to the highlighted route" or it may ask me if I want to navigate to the beginning of the route.

I have never had the Nuvi recalculate after tapping Go.

My nuvi's also don't recalculate when I press "Go", they recalculate on the import itself when I select "Import Route from file". So I lose the route avoids from Mapsource (if they were ever there in the first place) before I even get a chance to press "Go" and navigate the route. So I am still curious how you get your nuvi to avoid the recalculate on the import step. Maybe the 7x0 is different from the 7x5 in this regard.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

I don't see the point for MapSource routes, then.

alandb wrote:

My nuvi's also don't recalculate when I press "Go", they recalculate on the import itself when I select "Import Route from file".

That would seem to negate the value of MapSource and building a custom route. Why bother if it is going to ignore all the routing instructions in the route file?

There must be some other explanation. Darned if I can think of what it might be, though. If my 760 worked this way, I would return it.

The 855 does not keep the

The 855 does not keep the avoidances in memory. you have to avoid on every trip.

Custom Avoidances

Darn, that's makes a little extra work. My new 855 is in transit, should have it next week. Thanks

I'm confused

gadget_man wrote:

The 855 does not keep the avoidances in memory. you have to avoid on every trip.

Are you referring to avoidances set for a given route transferred from Mapsource to a nuvi? I've not tried this, so avoidances may be lost as you say.

But with my 855, I can set "always" Custom Avoidances and these avoidances are remembered even after a "battery removal device reset" so they must be stored as a file in the nuvi's storage as Favorites are saved. I'm not sure what happens to Custom Avoidances after a hard reset, since these resets have the potential to lose some Favorites.

But to summarize for future nuvi 855 buyers, a Custom Avoidance can be created on the nuvi and the avoidance will remain until removed or edited. I only use it for one street right now--for some reason, my nuvis likes to send me through an apartment complex parking lot very near my home. It's so nice to be able to avoid these silly directions with the 855, something my nuvi 750 is unable to do.

Transfer

Does it make a difference if you send it to the nuvi via internet (MSN Direct)? Will it save the route without recalculating it?

--
Legs

CUSTOM AVOIDS

This is what I have found out about custom avoids on my Nuvi 880, similar to 885. I have not been able to transfere the avoids from mapsource to the Nuvi. If you transfere a route that was calcualted with a custom avoid in mapsource it is lost on first recalculation. I had to manually add the same custom aviods in my GPS that I had in mapsource. Also on a map update, it was manually adding the custom avoids in mapsource and the GPS all over again. If the custom avoids are in a file that can be moved I would sure like to know this. All the custom avoids appear in a list and from there they can be viewed, renamed, disbled, or deleted.

same here

alandb wrote:
johnc wrote:

In MapSource, I select Send to Device and check the Routes checkbox.
On the Nuvi, "Import Route from File".
Tap Where to, Routes, and select my Route.
Tap Go.

Depending on where I am in relation to the route, the Nuvi will prompt me to "Navigate to the highlighted route" or it may ask me if I want to navigate to the beginning of the route.

I have never had the Nuvi recalculate after tapping Go.

My nuvi's also don't recalculate when I press "Go", they recalculate on the import itself when I select "Import Route from file". So I lose the route avoids from Mapsource (if they were ever there in the first place) before I even get a chance to press "Go" and navigate the route. So I am still curious how you get your nuvi to avoid the recalculate on the import step. Maybe the 7x0 is different from the 7x5 in this regard.

recalculates any route I send, Mapsource OR Mapquest, on "Import route from file"

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

Has to be a bug

jim8650 wrote:
alandb wrote:
johnc wrote:

In MapSource, I select Send to Device and check the Routes checkbox.
On the Nuvi, "Import Route from File".
Tap Where to, Routes, and select my Route.
Tap Go.

Depending on where I am in relation to the route, the Nuvi will prompt me to "Navigate to the highlighted route" or it may ask me if I want to navigate to the beginning of the route.

I have never had the Nuvi recalculate after tapping Go.

My nuvi's also don't recalculate when I press "Go", they recalculate on the import itself when I select "Import Route from file". So I lose the route avoids from Mapsource (if they were ever there in the first place) before I even get a chance to press "Go" and navigate the route. So I am still curious how you get your nuvi to avoid the recalculate on the import step. Maybe the 7x0 is different from the 7x5 in this regard.

recalculates any route I send, Mapsource OR Mapquest, on "Import route from file"

I can't see any other way of looking at this but a bug in the firmware on the 765. The entire point of building a route in MapSource is to bypass or tweak what the standard routing engine would give you. If the Nuvi ignores the specific route instructions in the route file, what's the point?

I would call/write Garmin tech support if I were you.

you may be right but...

I am pretty sure this has been confirmed by more than just 765T owners

can someone verify that?

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

755T and 855

It works this way (recalculates on import) on both my 755T and 855. AFAIK, it is the same on all nuvi's that support route import.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

JohnC must be a magician then

shock

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

.

I agree with Alan and Jim. It works the same way on my 750, 760, 765 and 855.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Trying to figure this out

alandb wrote:

It works this way (recalculates on import) on both my 755T and 855. AFAIK, it is the same on all nuvi's that support route import.

So you're saying that you tap "Import from file" and you immediately hear "Recalculating"?

not exactly on my 765T

johnc wrote:
alandb wrote:

It works this way (recalculates on import) on both my 755T and 855. AFAIK, it is the same on all nuvi's that support route import.

So you're saying that you tap "Import from file" and you immediately hear "Recalculating"?

I don't recall the voice saying recalculating

but there is an on screen message saying that the route is being recalculated at the import from file step

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

calculating on import.

On my nuvis the dialog message on import says "calculating", not "recalculating". It does not play anything with the voice. Once it is done calculating, you can view the map and the custom avoids have not been retained.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Re: Custom avoid

I have to disagree with Alan. You can do custom avoidances. In the Mapsource software go to edit -> preferences -> click routing tab -> click advanced and you get the Manage route avoidance screen. You can draw a box or a line on the map you want to avoid. If could I would post a screen shot.

Jmatt

.

jmatt wrote:

I have to disagree with Alan. You can do custom avoidances. In the Mapsource software go to edit -> preferences -> click routing tab -> click advanced and you get the Manage route avoidance screen. You can draw a box or a line on the map you want to avoid. If could I would post a screen shot.

Custom avoidances indeed works on the PC using MapSource but you cannot transfer those custom avoidances created with the PC & MapSource to the nuvi.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Nuvi 660

Any chance custom avoidances would work on the 660?

same q for Nuvi 200

Anyone know if the Nuvi200 can accept routes from MapSource?

No

mskids wrote:

Anyone know if the Nuvi200 can accept routes from MapSource?

No, but you can make a custom poi file.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.