Free Map Programs??

 

Hi,

I have a Nuvi 750. Garmin does not provide Mapsource free to it's customers.

Are there any available FREE map programs that will
accomplish the same tasks as Mapsource?????

I know that's a silly question....

Joe

Mapsource

simmojo wrote:

Hi,

I have a Nuvi 750. Garmin does not provide Mapsource free to it's customers.

Are there any available FREE map programs that will
accomplish the same tasks as Mapsource?????

I know that's a silly question....

Joe

See:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsour...

cd

Your 750 did not come with a cd-rom? Mine had Mapsource on it, it came with my 760.

--
Nuvi 3790LMT, Nuvi 760 Lifetime map, Lifetime NavTraffic, Garmin E-Trex Legend Just because "Everyone" drives badly does not mean you have to.

They Do

Here's the link Joe: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

You'll find the 'help' file to be really handy as you're getting started with the program.

Edit to add: Just noticed, that download may not work if you don't already have Mapsource installed. Apologies for the misdirection.

wink

--
Nuvi 760 & 660, Streetpilot, GPS III, GPS 10X

Mapsource

I lost Mapsource when I had a laptop go brain dead, The next time I updated my maps Mapsource was reinstalled during that process. I did not have to do anything else.

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty, pristine body but rather to come sliding in sideways, all used up and exclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!" -------- Nuvi 755T and 1350T Jensen NVX225 WorldNavigator PDA based GPS

If you ask Garmin nicely,

If you ask Garmin nicely, they may send you free MapSource installation DVD. I got one and it costs me $0.

Mapsource

I bought the Nuvi 750 in February. When I logged on to My Garmin to register and to get the latest maps and firmware, I had to connect the Nuvi to the computer. Some time during that process, either from the Nuvi or from My Garmin, Mapsource was installed on my computer. I saw it was an older version so I then downloaded the latest version. So somehow I was able to get Mapsource for free. I think it was on the Nuvi since it was a little older than what was on the site.

Mapsource is part of the map update exe file

Mapsource is part of the map update exe file and is installed along with the map files on the computer you are using when you do the map update install to your GPS unit.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Mapsoure

You can download mapsoure free from garmin website.

Mapsource

stevennguyen wrote:

You can download mapsoure free from garmin website.

You can download a Mapsource update and install it only if you already have a previous version of Mapsource already installed on your PC.

See this post from earlier in this topic:

Gadgetjq wrote:

Here's the link Joe: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

You'll find the 'help' file to be really handy as you're getting started with the program.

Edit to add: Just noticed, that download may not work if you don't already have Mapsource installed. Apologies for the misdirection.

wink

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

My mapsource can work, thank you

CraigW wrote:

See:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

Thank you.

How to use Mapsource

Does anyone know where I can find the "Idiot's guide to Using Mapsource"?

--
Tom

two sources

birchtree wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find the "Idiot's guide to Using Mapsource"?

One - Did you try the help file? It answered a lot of my questions.

Two - Beg, plead and send your Harley to MM.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Two Sources

Right!

Thanks. (no harley!)

--
Tom

.

MapSource for Beginners – A Complete Step By Step Guide
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/ms1.pdf

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

Here's the official tutorial

Here's the official tutorial from Garmin:

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapsourceTutorial.html

.

hegemon wrote:

Here's the official tutorial from Garmin:

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapsourceTutorial.html

The above link is a Flash presentation that explains how to select and save mapsets.

How does that qualify as a Mapsource tutorial? confused

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

Didn't work

CraigW wrote:
simmojo wrote:

Hi,

I have a Nuvi 750. Garmin does not provide Mapsource free to it's customers.

Are there any available FREE map programs that will
accomplish the same tasks as Mapsource?????

I know that's a silly question....

Joe

See:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

I tried to download it but it said "previous mapsource not found" and terminated download.

.

bsp131 wrote:
CraigW wrote:

See:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

I tried to download it but it said "previous mapsource not found" and terminated download.

The How-To (from the above link)

    1. Download and install Garmin Training Center
    2. Download and install Garmin MapSource
 
 
Did you install Training Center first before the Mapsource install?

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

Many thanks

appreciate the links and comments. thanks

--
Tom

Success

WAASup wrote:
bsp131 wrote:
CraigW wrote:

See:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

I tried to download it but it said "previous mapsource not found" and terminated download.

The How-To (from the above link)

    1. Download and install Garmin Training Center
    2. Download and install Garmin MapSource
 
 
Did you install Training Center first before the Mapsource install?

Thanks. I did what you said and it worked.

You're welcome

@birchtree: @bsp131:

Glad to help...

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

Garmin would not budge

I asked Garmin (nicely) for a copy of the DVD, but the rep insisted it is never free and that it would cost me $15 (?)

TANSTAAFL

That's correct. Garmin now charges shipping for the MapSource/City Navigator DVD.

Once upon a time it used to be free, but now TANSTAAFL. smile

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

.

WAASup wrote:

That's correct. Garmin now charges shipping for the MapSource/City Navigator DVD.

Once upon a time it used to be free, but now TANSTAAFL. smile

LOL. Had to google TANSTAFFL

Call again

mantogne wrote:

I asked Garmin (nicely) for a copy of the DVD, but the rep insisted it is never free and that it would cost me $15 (?)

I called and asked for Mapsource several months after I bought my 750 and they said new maps would be out soon and I could get one when they come out. I told them I was not going to buy the new map this soon and the man made me a copy of mapsource and mailed it and all was free!!
Just keep caling till you get a rep that will send you one.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

.

WAASup wrote:

That's correct. Garmin now charges shipping for the MapSource/City Navigator DVD.

Once upon a time it used to be free, but now TANSTAAFL. smile

Did they change the policy after May 2009? I got mine back then (IIRC) and it didn't cost me anything other than time to compose/send an email.

Wow!

Something free from Garmin?! What is the world coming to?