I am new to the GPS world and have some favorite resterraunts in the LA area. I would like to know hot to create a POI file of my favorite resteraunts. I i searched the topics earlier this morning. I ahve tried the following.
1. Created an account in google
2. filled in the necessary info. ( created a new map, filled in title and description, marked public) clicked done
3. searched for the restaraunt
4. clicked on the marker(s) that I want and selected save to my map and when it asked me to save again I said yes
5. For wach additonal restaraunt I continued to search for it and then I continued step 4.
6. After all the locations were entered I linked the page on the top right
7. the highlighted paste link to email was right clcked and I copied it.
8. I opened an additonal window and went to the website takitwithme and I pasted the URL in the location and clicked load map
9. I then downloaded it as a GPX file to my desktop
10. I then used POI loader to load it my GPS
11. I t never shows up in the custom POI's
Can anyone tell waht I am doing wrong? I have a Garmin 260W
Where to>extras>custom pois and click on custom pois?
If so I can tell you this works for sure... It sounds very similar to what you did but some of it may be a little different..
It's from the post at the end:
Here are the steps I use to create a map and save the files.
1. Go to Google maps http://maps.google.com/maps and click on sign in.Now create an account.
2.Once signed in go to create new map on left.Fill in title and description.Under privacy settings mark public or unlisted.Then click done.
3.It will now show under my maps make sure you have check mark in title.The map will always be there unless you delete it.
4.Now go to top and click on either search the map(single address) or find business(listing by name).I will use business search for my example.
5.Once you make the search you will see results on left
6.Click one marker on left you want .Popup will come up click save to my map.Next popup which map you want to save it to click on save.Next popup should show info click on save.
7.Now go back to search results on left and click on search again to get the listings again.You will have to repeat this each time you complete one.
8.Once all your locations are entered go to link to this page on right near top and click on it.The top highlighted paste link in email right click mouse and save it.
9.Now go to site http://www.takitwithme.com/ and paste in the url you copied where it says paste in your google my maps url.Now click load my map.
10.You will have a choice to upload to garmin gps or download gpx.Click download gpx and remember where you saved it at on your computer.Now if you want to convert to a csv file go to step 11.If not put the gpx file in the correct folder and run the Garmin poi loader.
11.Go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert to convert the file to csv file.Under browse upload the gpx file you saved and under Plain text delimiter click on comma.Now click on convert top right.Once the data comes up right click and copy all the columns.
12.Now pull up your excel sheet and paste the info to it.You will have to switch longitude and latitude and delete column a.Now clean up what you don't need.
13.Now go to file on excel sheet at top and click save as then save as type find csv(comma delimited) and click save.You now have csv file.
I have done it this way and I know it works...
Edit the only thing I see right off is you saved it as a gpx file...and I converted it to a csv file...
When you done step 8. I opened an additonal window and went to the website takitwithme and I pasted the URL in the location and clicked load map.
When you clicked on load my map and if the blue markers all showed up you done in right.Like aophiuchus stated they should show up Where to>extras>custom pois and click on custom pois.
Did you put the files in a folder in accordance with http://www.poi-factory.com/node/85 ?
You may also want to look at doing subfolders if you plan on saving a lot of custom poi files see http://www.poi-factory.com/node/8674 .
Thanks Guys, I was doing one thing wrong. You have to make sure redo the search everytime after to you add one.
thank You for your posts
terms | privacy | contactCopyright © 2006-2019