POI Plagiarism

 

What's your opinion on someone who downloads a POI file from a website like this one and then uploads it to another POI website and claims credit for creating the file?

There is a thread

There is already a thread for this somewhere. You are only allowed to post "your own" files.

POI Plagiarism

I'm aware of the POI-Factory policy. I'm asking your opinion of someone who does it. I found an example on another website of a POI that was created and posted here by one of our members. Someone else was taking credit for the work.

Thread

PaulATL wrote:

There is already a thread for this somewhere. You are only allowed to post "your own" files.

I just looked but I couldn't find the thread that Miss Poi mentioned this in. I think it was right before she started all the site maintenance.

If it was not their's

spullis wrote:

I'm aware of the POI-Factory policy. I'm asking your opinion of someone who does it. I found an example on another website of a POI that was created and posted here by one of our members. Someone else was taking credit for the work.

If it was not their's, it should not be posted and removed. I'd send Miss POI an email and let her know the details so she can either remove it or address it.

Report It

spullis wrote:

I'm aware of the POI-Factory policy. I'm asking your opinion of someone who does it. I found an example on another website of a POI that was created and posted here by one of our members. Someone else was taking credit for the work.

Miss POI should see this topic, but the specifics (which website & which file) should be reported to her so she can investigate. Use the "contact" link at the top of the page.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

a few threads ....

Thanks

djs wrote:

Think these are what you were looking for.

Thanks, the post was attached in one of those. This was the post I was searching for.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/14204

Not Nice

spullis wrote:

I found an example on another website of a POI that was created and posted here by one of our members. Someone else was taking credit for the work.

The person who posted that needs to get a life .....or some therapy.....and you need to bring it to the attention of the site operator. Unless it is a "pirate" site, they probably would want to know.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

send email

Send me an email with the details and I will get it taken care of. I do ask that you don't mention other site names on the site. The other Moderators on other sites do not have a list of our files that they cross reference to see where it came from.

Miss POI

Plagiarism

I guess I didn't make myself clear. One of our members created a POI on this website and posted it on this website. Someone downloaded the POI from this website and posted it on another website and took credit for authorship. I already sent Miss POI an email earlier today.

Was clear; not now

spullis wrote:

I guess I didn't make myself clear.

PLEASE quote part of the message you are responding to.....please??

At least 5 people have responded to your original post. Which one made you feel that they didn't understand what you were trying to say??
I thought it was perfectly clear AND I think everyone who responded understood it.
Where do you see a problem?

If it was me, I meant that you should bring it to the attention of the Admin. at the OTHER board......but if Ms. POI will handle it, that is even better.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

Maybe it was me?

ka1167 wrote:
spullis wrote:

I guess I didn't make myself clear.

PLEASE quote part of the message you are responding to.....please??

At least 5 people have responded to your original post. Which one made you feel that they didn't understand what you were trying to say??
I thought it was perfectly clear AND I think everyone who responded understood it.
Where do you see a problem?

If it was me, I meant that you should bring it to the attention of the Admin. at the OTHER board......but if Ms. POI will handle it, that is even better.

Maybe it was me where I said Miss POI would have it removed. (thinking that Miss POI can only have files removed from the factory?) Miss POI can contact other website admins and have it removed from the other site unless the creator of the file posts it there.