new & interesting places for your GPS

Target Department Stores

 

This discussion thread is for maintenance of the Target POI's.
Please post the area that you are working on so that others are not working on the same thing.

Authorized maintainers can make changes to the data at this page: http://www.poi-factory.com//poidb/poitype1021

Please let me know if there is a Target market in Canada, so that those of you in Canada can also have a file.

Miss Poi

POI Files

Page 1>>

Anyone interested

just wanted to remind everyone that this project is still open and has not been started yet. Any volunteers?

Miss Poi

Put me down for CA and show

Put me down for CA and show what needs to be done.

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Target's web site

has stores by state that it appears one could copy the text to clipboard and paste into Excel to get fields in order before batch geocoding...

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone5 + Navigon*

Ok Nick I have added you as

Ok Nick I have added you as a moderator, go ahead and start adding them, thanks.

Miss Poi

Miss POI I am not sure what

Miss POI
I am not sure what to do being a moderator, do you just want me to create a .csv file Targets in CA and upload them to you??? if not please provide instructions on what I need to do

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

in the first part of this

in the first part of this thread there is a link to the page that the Target database is located. You have access to it and can add the locations if you would like to. Let me know if you need any help.

Miss Poi

Batch Geocoding of Target Stores

miss poi-

I just came across this site and this thread yesterday. Someone had mentioned the idea of pulling the store information directly from Target's website and then performing a batch geocode process on it. I just so happen to be working with geocoding software at work so today I threw something together and geocoded every Target store (1503 locations) in the USA. Of those 1503 all but 74 of them were successfully geocoded leaving less than 5% of the locations left to be geocoded. I am very new to this site (this is my first post) so I am not sure of what to do next. If you could please advise on how I can get this csv file to you.

Thanks,
Jared

What is GeoCoding

For all the novices in the class, what is geocoding?

Can it be accomplished with OpenSource software? If so what is the best tool to use.

This would be ideal for creating POIs of my favourite locations.

--
TriniInXiSlE

Geocoding is...

Geocoding is the process of assigning geographic identifiers (e.g., codes or geographic coordinates expressed as latitude-longitude) to map features and other data records, such as street addresses. You can also geocode media, for example where a picture was taken, IP Addresses, and anything that has a geographic component. With geographic coordinates, the features can then be mapped and entered into Geographic Information Systems.

You can find this and more information at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocoding

As far as software goes I'm using MapInfo's MapMarker Plus 12 at work but that's commercially licensed for the company.

if you look to the right of

if you look to the right of your screen you will see a upload and share a csv or gpx file, if you use that link you can upload the file right into the site.

Thanks for doing that for us, great job.

Miss Poi

No problem...

No problem, I was really wanting them anyway so it worked out. I'm going to get coords for the remaining 74 and then I'll upload the file.

Thanks,
Jared

Web sites for geocoding addresses

trinipeng wrote:

For all the novices in the class, what is geocoding?

Can it be accomplished with OpenSource software? If so what is the best tool to use.

This would be ideal for creating POIs of my favourite locations.

Websites for converting addresses to long/latitude:
http://www.batchgeocode.com/
http://gpsvisualizer.com/convert?form=address
http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php
Also, use Mapsource or Google Earth.

--
Garmin StreetPilot c530, Mapsource

New Target on N Miami Ave

3401 N Miami Ave Ste 100
Miami, FL 33127
(786) 437-0164

SuperTarget SW Charlotte, NC

I don't know where the coordinates for Super Target in SW Charlotte (Walker Branch Road) came from, but they're not even close. Correct coordinates are:

35.1000
-80.9888

Nope, I do know, see it now. Those are coordinates for Walker Rd. on the other side of town. Walker Branch is a brand new road within a brand new shopping center.

--
Nuvi 1390T Charlotte, NC

New Store to add

Bristol

16600 Highlands Center Blvd
Bristol, VA 24202
(276) 642-6300

Thanks

updated

mtnman wrote:

Bristol

16600 Highlands Center Blvd
Bristol, VA 24202
(276) 642-6300

Thanks

I have added this location to the file, thanks for letting me know.

Miss POI

Another new store

Mechanicsburg

6416 Carlisle Pike
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
(717) 796-5780

Thank you.

Target # 2378 Yorkville

New Super Target store opening July 08

Super Target Store # 2378
1652 Beecher Road
Yorkville Il 60560

Phone # (630)385-3200

Coordinates

N 41°39.769'
W088°27.968'

Alarmguy134

thanks

Thanks alarmguy134, I will make sure it gets added soon.

Miss POI

I'll take Maryland...

And any other state if needed. However, Jross04 seems to have it covered.

What format and how much info are you looking for? I'd recommend storeID,address,city,state,zip,phone.

Jross, have you tried to

Jross, have you tried to geocode the 74 or so locations individually? I've found that large batches makes the geocoder hiccup every so often.

Target Store in Plaza Bonita - National City, CA

There is a new Target at Plaza Bonita in National City, CA.

3030 Plaza Bonita Road
National City CA 91950
(619) 267 2850

Plaza Bonita is located at Hwy 805 at Sweetwater or Bonita Road, or Hwy 54 at Plaza Bonita Center Way.

http://maps.yahoo.com/map?q1=3030%20plaza%20bonita%20rd%2091...

cool

SandyEggo wrote:

There is a new Target at Plaza Bonita in National City, CA.

3030 Plaza Bonita Road
National City CA 91950
(619) 267 2850

Plaza Bonita is located at Hwy 805 at Sweetwater or Bonita Road, or Hwy 54 at Plaza Bonita Center Way.

http://maps.yahoo.com/map?q1=3030%20plaza%20bonita%20rd%2091...

Thanks I will get that one added too;)

Miss POI

Stores will be added to the file today

alarmguy134 wrote:

New Super Target store opening July 08

Super Target Store # 2378
1652 Beecher Road
Yorkville Il 60560

Phone # (630)385-3200

Coordinates

N 41°39.769'
W088°27.968'

Alarmguy134

This location will be added today along with the National City CA location reported. Thanks again for sending those in.

Miss POI

Update for your files

Hi fellow Trini; Teddy's Roti shop can be found here: http://www.teddysrotishop.com/ I could get precise coordinates but the address is here.

Line 1409 La Habra, CA

On line 1409, that store moved down the street.

New coordinates are:

-117.956579
33.91596

La Habra
1000 W Imperial Hwy
La Habra, CA 90631
(714) 459-6034

The new location is on the corner or E Imperial Hwy/Idaho St.

Opened at the end of July 2008

--
Eat at Joes.

New Target

Don't know if it has been added, but a new Target is set to open Sun. Oct 12th in Fort Smith, AR.

4001 Phoenix Ave
Fort Smith, AR 72903
(479) 709-8940

fixed

Racer X wrote:

On line 1409, that store moved down the street.

New coordinates are:

-117.956579
33.91596

La Habra
1000 W Imperial Hwy
La Habra, CA 90631
(714) 459-6034

The new location is on the corner or E Imperial Hwy/Idaho St.

I have that fixed now, thanks.

Miss POI
Opened at the end of July 2008

New Target in Southington, CT

600 Executive Blvd
Southington, CT 06489
(860) 406-6754

41.612290
-72.901551

--
Garmin SP 2730 and Nuvi 760

Illinois

I would like to maintain the Illinois Target locations if that has not been taken. Also who created or set up the format for this file. It is a clean and nice job. How was the information set up on excel to show street address, city state and zip and phone number to show up on individual rows to appear on one cell?

New Target Store - Stoughton, MA

1 Hawes Way, Stoughton, MA 02072
(781) 847-4000

-71.0735638, 42.1534763

Alt-Enter

bababooey03 wrote:

How was the information set up on excel to show street address, city state and zip and phone number to show up on individual rows to appear on one cell?

When typing the date in an Excel cell, use the Alt-Enter key combination to create a line break within the cell:

street address[Alt-Enter]
city, state and zip[Alt-Enter]
phone number[Enter]

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2015.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Closed Target Store in Knoxville, TN

The following Target Store is closed:

-83.93226, 36.03314
Target#0150 Knoxville North
5101 Broadway St NE
Knoxville TN 37918
(865)689-6003

I have these last couple of

I have these last couple of posts on my list of things to do, I don't want anyone thinking that I have neglected the Target project.

Miss POI

UPDATE???

DONT KNOW IF THIS IS NEEDFUL OR NOT, NEW STORE OR ABOUT 3 MONTHS OLD

SUPER TARGET
1000 COMMERCE AVE
ATWATER, CA 95301
209-357-4820

--
If you dont know where you're going, any road will get you there!!

Austin, TX changes

The store named "AUstin SE" no longer exists, and a new store opened up called "Austin Southpark Meadows". Google cannot get the address correct, so here are the coord:

9500 S Interstate 35 Ste G
Austin, TX 78748
(512) 687-0634
30.16046, -97.78987

Thank you Aophiuchus!!!

I want to send out a special thank you to Aophiuchus for updating the file for us. He saw that I was a bit overwhelmed with projects and he took this off my list of things to do.

I really love it when you guys come to my rescue like that. It really helps keep the wheels turning. Thanks for taking over the management of the project also.

Miss POI

You are very welcome and

Thank you for all the work you do for this site... grin

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

More corrections made

Added some of the missing addresses and phone numbers. Corrected a few coordinates. (One of them was a nearby one in Glendale, CA shock

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Completed adding missing addresses and phone Numbers

shock

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Washington DC Location

I originally sent in the coordinates for the DC location (ROW 798 in the file).

At the time the GPS sent you down a side street which is now a one way street.

Here are some new coordinates that lead right to the front of the new entrance to the parking garage.

-77.032709
38.929120

correction made and posted

Goredsox wrote:

I originally sent in the coordinates for the DC location (ROW 798 in the file).

At the time the GPS sent you down a side street which is now a one way street.

Here are some new coordinates that lead right to the front of the new entrance to the parking garage.

-77.032709
38.929120

Thank you for taking the time to submit the correction.. wink

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

new location in MA:

Easton
41 Robert Dr
South Easton, MA 02375
(508) 230-0005

Latitude: 42.027408 / Longitude: -71.142909

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + (2) 265WT + 65LMT New England region

The location has been added and posted

uber360 wrote:

Easton
41 Robert Dr
South Easton, MA 02375
(508) 230-0005

Latitude: 42.027408 / Longitude: -71.142909

Thank you for taking the time to submit the new location... wink

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Delete & New SuperTarget Menifee,CA

Delete: reason closed store moved into new SuperTarget

-117.16962 33.6822
Target #0678 Menifee
30251 Antelope Rd
Menifee CA 92584
(951) 672-8580

Add: Bigger & better replacement across I-215

-117.172505 33.680086
Menifee SuperTarget
30340 Haun Rd
Menifee, CA 92584
(951) 723-6151

Wrong in this POI "Target (all US locations)"

Correct in this POI "Target Locations with addresses and Phone numbers in CA, USA"

commercial software

jross04 wrote:

Geocoding is the process of assigning geographic identifiers (e.g., codes or geographic coordinates expressed as latitude-longitude) to map features and other data records, such as street addresses. You can also geocode media, for example where a picture was taken, IP Addresses, and anything that has a geographic component. With geographic coordinates, the features can then be mapped and entered into Geographic Information Systems.

You can find this and more information at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocoding

As far as software goes I'm using MapInfo's MapMarker Plus 12 at work but that's commercially licensed for the company.

Question...from your experience is the commercial geocoding software that you are using any more accurate then the online geocoding sites or mapping programs such as Streets & Trips? It seems all of the programs and websites I use are at least two or three houses off on the geocoding. For example my house shows up way east of where it is and according to S&T my block goes up to 1998 when actually it only goes to 1958. I have been told the reason for this is on any given street they use two known coordinates and compute the addresses in between mathematically using the assumption that all of the lots are equal in width.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

I don't use a commercial geocoding software

Don B wrote:

Question...from your experience is the commercial geocoding software that you are using any more accurate then the online geocoding sites or mapping programs such as Streets & Trips? It seems all of the programs and websites I use are at least two or three houses off on the geocoding. For example my house shows up way east of where it is and according to S&T my block goes up to 1998 when actually it only goes to 1958. I have been told the reason for this is on any given street they use two known coordinates and compute the addresses in between mathematically using the assumption that all of the lots are equal in width.

I use; arrow http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocode

But I don't use it in batch mode. The single address geocode mode tells you of the accuracy of the search. I also use both Yahoo and Google as the primary source and compare those two. I then check the results using google earth, which I compare with the companies store locator maps. If Google Earth and the store locator map agree I use those coordinates and hope for the best.

None of the geocode sites are completely accurate. I have found that the larger metropolitan areas seem to be more accurate than smaller towns etc. When all else fails I use the store locator map and ask for help from this community. This is why when submitting stores from your area it is important that you also supply the coordinates.

If I point to the lot my house is on using City Navigator 2009 NT, which finds my address accurately, I can show several different addresses, from 1901 to 1923 that is 11 different addresses only one of which exists. So it doesn't surprise my that you find addresses that don't exist on your street, and I don't believe this could be accounted for by assuming the lots are of equal width. My lot is big, but come on, it's not that big... shock

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Location corrected and posted

davidm33 wrote:

Delete: reason closed store moved into new SuperTarget

-117.16962 33.6822
Target #0678 Menifee
30251 Antelope Rd
Menifee CA 92584
(951) 672-8580

Add: Bigger & better replacement across I-215

-117.172505 33.680086
Menifee SuperTarget
30340 Haun Rd
Menifee, CA 92584
(951) 723-6151

Wrong in this POI "Target (all US locations)"

Correct in this POI "Target Locations with addresses and Phone numbers in CA, USA"

Thank you for taking the time to submit the information and supplying the coordinates, it really helps. wink

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

equal width

aophiuchus wrote:

I don't believe this could be accounted for by assuming the lots are of equal width. My lot is big, but come on, it's not that big... shock

Personally I don't know how the mapping companies come up with the street addresses, but putting what I have been told a different way, say a block is 1000 feet long and the lots in that subdivision are 100 feet wide. The mapping company takes two known coordinates and figures everything in between mathematically. So they assume there are 10 addresses on that block, but in reality there might be only 8 houses on that block because two people's houses occupy two lots. That is the reason I was given that your address does not jive with the coordinates most of the time.

That's the reason I was quizzing jross04, because he works with commercial mapping software. It's too bad we don't have someone on the forum that works for a mapping company.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Please correct the

Please correct the coordinates for line 707. Location is way off. Correct coordinates are:

-87.6746167 41.8356167

Thanks

Page 1>>

sponsored links