Do you have a favorite restaurant?

 

Do you have a favorite restaurant?

One where you are a repeat customer, and where you are treated like Norm in Cheers?!

Restaurants have had it tough since 2020.

It absolutely blows my mind when we come across those in 2023, where the prices feel like 2009, and the portions are huge and quality and service are great. I always think, what is going on??!!

Is gordon ramsay gonna bust through the front door and yell at the staff saying they are giving their profits away? lol

If their motive is/was to get a big tip, they are successful with me.

We are a family of 3. We just went to one in Exton PA yesterday, $67 before tax and tip, and we had about 35% of our food to take home (we keep a cooler with us on our journey). Gordon Ramsay is big on when customers are bringing home another meal, portion size is too large.

We go to a restaurant near us, and it would be more like $100 with very little taken home. Said $100 is reasonable, but we can't do that all the time like we can with $67.

<<Page 2

I remember

mgarledge wrote:

We only go through the drive through so I have not looked to see if there was a fee.
I got my last drive through receipts to see if they charge a fee.
No one did. BUT the last two McDonald's were 15 days apart and just last weeks the #7 (2 cheeseburger meal) went up $.90. I guess they just upped the meal instead of putting a fee on the ticket.
Mary

Using the McDonald's app around 2016-2019.

They were like Sears--as if they want to drive themselves out of business.

Phillies win! Free Crispy Chicken (the large $5 one) no purchase necessary.

Eagles win! Free Big Mac no purchase necessary.

Even right through 2022--Free larger Fries with $1 purchase.

2023 it's medium--with a $2 purchase. There actually isn't anything at all that is in the $1 range, and, the entry level sandwich is about $2.29.

Getting a McDonald's franchise would be like winning a lottery. They can do anything at all and the cars will be lined up.

Not uncommon

johnnatash4 wrote:

buffet that we've been going to for at least 6 years. Suddenly, my 9 y.o. son is full price. Didn't argue, never going back. My guess is new owner trying to increase profits.

My wife said it's based on height (we were in the restroom apparently when the waitress explained). That's funny, and a way to recoup costs. Imagine a family of 5 where 3 kids eat nothing and are charged as adults.

Food for thought--my son's cousin is 9, and he's probably 5'5". Guess what? He eats NOTHING!! But when he turns 13 or so, he'll probably wreck a buffet.

John, that is not an uncommon practice, especially on the west coast where there is a proliferation of sushi type places. I have also seen a similar practice at bowling facilities, arcades, etc. Many restaurants cite, and perhaps rightfully, that youngsters can't generally present any form of document proving age until they reach about 16. In the absence of documentation, and since kids can consume as much food as an adult, what would be your suggested alternative?

Related, the Disney World policy for buffet dining is age based. All individuals over the age of 9 will be charged the full adult price for most buffet meals at the Walt Disney World Resort.

--
John from PA

5 Guys.....

Love their burgers and fries.

--
RKF (Brookeville, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

Big Texan

It's a tourist trap, but the food has always been good. We stop there when passing through Amarillo, TX.

it makes sense

John from PA wrote:
johnnatash4 wrote:

buffet that we've been going to for at least 6 years. Suddenly, my 9 y.o. son is full price. Didn't argue, never going back. My guess is new owner trying to increase profits.

My wife said it's based on height (we were in the restroom apparently when the waitress explained). That's funny, and a way to recoup costs. Imagine a family of 5 where 3 kids eat nothing and are charged as adults.

Food for thought--my son's cousin is 9, and he's probably 5'5". Guess what? He eats NOTHING!! But when he turns 13 or so, he'll probably wreck a buffet.

John, that is not an uncommon practice, especially on the west coast where there is a proliferation of sushi type places. I have also seen a similar practice at bowling facilities, arcades, etc. Many restaurants cite, and perhaps rightfully, that youngsters can't generally present any form of document proving age until they reach about 16. In the absence of documentation, and since kids can consume as much food as an adult, what would be your suggested alternative?

Related, the Disney World policy for buffet dining is age based. All individuals over the age of 9 will be charged the full adult price for most buffet meals at the Walt Disney World Resort.

As a business owner, I would need to recoup costs. One of our friends was told to slow down, and they felt the wait staff on purpose brought more food at a slow pace.

At a Chinese buffet, a waitress told him to eat more vegetables. What?!! When I heard that story I laughed but said that's not appropriate. But he eats so much he can no longer walk which is troubling to hear. It's just that there are folks who can wreck a buffet, i.e. eat 3X what the proprietor anticipated. That's life.

I saw a competitive eater on YouTube who went to a fish and chips in MI. He was getting 5 pieces at a time, and when they came, placed an order for the next. Literally burning his mouth. He got up to almost 50 pieces and then suddenly in the vlog he said he cut away and the owner swooped in and said he's done.

Truthfully there is little correlation between a child's height and ability to eat, but with age, there is. When height has 8-10 y.o. paying same as adults, and I have a kid that age, I go elsewhere. We all have to be sensible....

Or

bsp131 wrote:
soberbyker wrote:
BarneyBadass wrote:

I no longer eat out..

With the minimum hourly wage between $20 - $25 / hr, the prices for food at an eatery for a cheeseburger going for $11+ its no longer attractive to eat out

I am with you on the service fees. We could have a whole thread on that issue.

Or compare the service fees to Australia where there is practically NO tipping but prices are considerably higher to make up for the increased labor cost.

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Great pizza! Original pizza

Great pizza! Original pizza in Brooklyn NY.

Went there about 20 years ago

EV Driver wrote:

It's a tourist trap, but the food has always been good. We stop there when passing through Amarillo, TX.

It was ok, but I was hoping for some real top notch Texas 'cue on my first visit there and this wasn't the place to find it.

Now here I am, almost 20 years later and my second visit to Texas, and I finally got to try a number of barbecue places, most of them rated in Texas Monthly as being some of the best in the state and ... wow! Some outstanding barbecue here!

So far I've been to Goldee's (currently rated the number one barbecue in Texas by Texas Monthly), Hutchins in McKinney, Cattleack in Farmer's Branch, Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano and a few others.

Gotta say, there ain't no barbecue like Texas 'cue.

I like Cheesecake factory

I like Cheesecake factory

Once

GARYLAP wrote:

I like Cheesecake factory

I went there in Atlanta while on business.

The waiter threw out my leftover steak, that was almost untouched. never in my life, that was common sense.

He said the "chef" would prepare another for me to take home.

When I got back to my room, it was about 1/4 the size of the steak. How dumb--either this was from someone else's plate (I doubt it), or, he took a new one, cut it to 1/4, and kept 3/4 for himself. Kinda like a car dealership and warranty repair. A good % of mfg paid warranty parts, never make it onto customers' cars (expensive parts are scanned into the warranty system). Like a medical practice and medical insurance...

I hope you

johnnatash4 wrote:
GARYLAP wrote:

I like Cheesecake factory

I went there in Atlanta while on business.

The waiter threw out my leftover steak, that was almost untouched. never in my life, that was common sense.

He said the "chef" would prepare another for me to take home.

When I got back to my room, it was about 1/4 the size of the steak. How dumb--either this was from someone else's plate (I doubt it), or, he took a new one, cut it to 1/4, and kept 3/4 for himself. Kinda like a car dealership and warranty repair. A good % of mfg paid warranty parts, never make it onto customers' cars (expensive parts are scanned into the warranty system). Like a medical practice and medical insurance...

Gave them the tip they deserved..

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

My favorite

Restaurants were small family owned and run places. Some you wouldn't take a date to, but the food was excellent.

Where I live they have mostly disappeared now and almost all now are some sort of a chain restaurant.

There is only 1 left which is a typical 1950's diner and has not been redecorated since the 1950's. It is called TED's in Highland Creek in the very east end of Toronto. The original owner is long gone but the current owner operates it just like it has always been.

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Mom and Pops

Melaqueman wrote:

Restaurants were small family owned and run places. Some you wouldn't take a date to, but the food was excellent.

Where I live they have mostly disappeared now and almost all now are some sort of a chain restaurant.

There is only 1 left which is a typical 1950's diner and has not been redecorated since the 1950's. It is called TED's in Highland Creek in the very east end of Toronto. The original owner is long gone but the current owner operates it just like it has always been.

Mom and Pops are my favorites. No chains unless I can't help it, or if you are paying. smile

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Wendell Smith's on 53rd and

Wendell Smith's on 53rd and Charlotte in Nashville TN. A meat and three place with homestyle cooking

Post it where ?

Trying to decide whether to post this in the jokes thread or here. Thought it would fit here better !

Because they had no reservations at a busy restaurant, my elderly neighbour and his wife were told there would be a 45 minute wait for a table.

"Young man, we're both 90 years old," the husband said. "We may not have 45 minutes."

They were seated immediately.

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

that's

Melaqueman wrote:

Trying to decide whether to post this in the jokes thread or here. Thought it would fit here better !

Because they had no reservations at a busy restaurant, my elderly neighbour and his wife were told there would be a 45 minute wait for a table.

"Young man, we're both 90 years old," the husband said. "We may not have 45 minutes."

They were seated immediately.

Very considerate of the establishment.

As mentioned a few times, I saw an elderly gentleman at Buick GMC.

"By the time you figure out what's wrong with my car, I'll be dead."

The ill trained service advisor paused, seemed as if he were about to say something, then walked away. This service guy was about 60--so he likely came up in an environment where there was even more cheating than there is today. This dealer took 1.5 years to fix a captains chair in my wife's car.

Folger's

Ada, Ok...

Small. Been there forever. Best burgers ever. Google it and you will want to go.

BTW, Blake Shelton's home town.

--
rvOutrider

LOL

BarneyBadass wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
BarneyBadass wrote:

It's Johnny's last name smile

I loved your answer. It made me laugh. grin grin
Mary

Mary, glad my reply made you laugh... here's another one...

I've a couple of young cousins....

One's named Cash and the other they named Cary!

I've some really ill relatives...

Naming a couple of boys Cash & Cary is almost as bad as naming a boy Sue!

LOL

I am

mcginkleschmidt wrote:
BarneyBadass wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
BarneyBadass wrote:

It's Johnny's last name smile

I loved your answer. It made me laugh. grin grin
Mary

Mary, glad my reply made you laugh... here's another one...

I've a couple of young cousins....

One's named Cash and the other they named Cary!

I've some really ill relatives...

Naming a couple of boys Cash & Cary is almost as bad as naming a boy Sue!

LOL

I'm Johnny Cash's long lost brother!
NO Cash !

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.
<<Page 2