Difference between Garmin red light subscription and POI Factory red light file

 

What is the difference between the subscription that you can get from Garmin directly and the POI file that you can download from the POI factory website. I saw that you have to pay for the Garmin subscription. Are the locations the same between the two and are the locations from POI factory up-to-date?

Thanks

UPDATE: For 2012 and newer models, Garmin no longer offers the Cyclops safety camera database for USA and Canada.

POI Factory's camera files continue to work with all of Garmin's automotive navigation units, including their newer models.

Related links

--
Garmin Zumo550
<<Page 2

but the difference is

FZbar wrote:

Aren't Texas Speed Traps in that category???

Fred

The Texas file is maintained by a contributor. JM and Globe Turtle maintain the camera files that are branded with the POI-Factory name

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

both were wrong today

In Ft. Lee, NJ, today, both the Cyclops and POI wrongly alerted at an intersection. Clearly had those signal changing devices, not RLCs. So I guess Cyclops can be inaccurate as well (first time I've observed it myself).

speed cameras in Montgomery County, MD

After I got my first speed camera photo, at the bottom of my ticket I got an URL to find out where the cameras were located every single day and their scheduled movement around the county.

I guess the county was nice to me after I paid my contribution fine ticket.

Here is the URL for Montgomery County, MD. If it helps anybody for future reference:

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/poltmpl.asp?url=/content/...

however

Robert_Chang wrote:

After I got my first speed camera photo, at the bottom of my ticket I got an URL to find out where the cameras were located every single day and their scheduled movement around the county.

I guess the county was nice to me after I paid my contribution fine ticket.

Here is the URL for Montgomery County, MD. If it helps anybody for future reference:

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/poltmpl.asp?url=/content/...

the list put out on the web site isn't really current. We members living in Montco keep the Factory updated as they now play camera roulette with the portables.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Garmin's file

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/digital-...

I requested the free version, but the checkout button did nothing. Twice . Then it kicked me back to the previous screen. I doubt anything shows up.

MO just reinstated their cameras, waiting for a decision from a higher court. As long as I don't get a ticket, I"m all for'm. Why? This is where I drive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmlbDaj-uE

free for 90 days

Are we talking about Cyclop speed and safety camera that they work for US and Canada or Clear Channel also for USA and Canada?

The only thing you need to know...

The only site for the best RLC and speed cameras as well as tons more POI's...is the POI Factory!
Keep up the good work!

RLC alerts

gusb wrote:

Hi: just a quick word about garmin files; Im sure they are good, great,etc however, they can't privide the excellent information and personal support from the great members of the poi factory website!!

I had originally looked at the garmin CYCLOPS service but it was just a mess. I then found POI factory and have never looked back. The POI factory RLC "app" has proven to work for me. Simple to load and very accurate in the Long Island area. Couldn't be happier as a subscriber.

--
Michael J. Moonitz Massapequa, NY C340, N650, N660, N1490T, N2797 LMT, NuviCam

POI Factory over all others

I really like POI Factory's RLC file. It's constantly up to date and the roll outs are quick and accurate. I also know exactly if the latest update includes my state or not. This way I don't spend time DL'ing and installing it on my GPS unnecessarily.

$5 subscription for a month

what happens after the one month expires? Does the file no longer work or do I no longer receive updates?

the file is yours

kenchriso wrote:

what happens after the one month expires? Does the file no longer work or do I no longer receive updates?

The file is yours, It will continue to work as long as it is on your system. The ability to update is what you loose but there is a work-around for that,

The entire purpose is to encourage you to become active on the forums. If you are active, signified by a windmill badge, you will be able to receive updates without fee. Check the FAQs on how you earn the various badges.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Getting to be just assuming

Getting to be just assuming there's a camera is a better idea than looking for them.

--
nuvi 250 --> 1250T --> 265T Lost my 1250T

$5 Subscription

Thanks Box Car. I liked the red light feature on the 2460lmt garmin and missed it with the 3590lmt gps. It's worth $5 to test the POI file. I'll also check the faq.

Extras

kenchriso wrote:

Thanks Box Car. I liked the red light feature on the 2460lmt garmin and missed it with the 3590lmt gps. It's worth $5 to test the POI file. I'll also check the faq.

Welcome to The Factory, kenchriso.

If you have the Garmin redlight file on your 2460LMT and haven't paid Garmin for a subscription, it's the trial version of their safety camera file from Garmin. The trial version may be quite old--many months to years--and can not be updated without buying a subscription from Garmin. The redlight and speed camera files here at The Factory should be much more accurate and can be used in both of your nuvis.

As already stated, once you earn your windmill, you'll have free access to these files beyond your 1-month obtained with the $5 fee.

Another advantage to The Factory's speed and redlight camera files is that you can add custom icons and custom audio alerts to the POIs. The faqs will give you all you need to get started. Shout back if other questions arise.

COMPLETELY FALSE?

johnnatash4 wrote:

Poi imho would seriously need people who live in Dallas, NYC, DC, to report the false alerts otherwise it will just be the way it is. I've told myself better to have a false alert than none at all, though I'm beginning to wonder about that... smile

Most of the "false" alerts I've experienced in the NYC area is a function of how Garmin and POI handles custom POI. I'll get a "false alarm" when driving on the LIE (I495) if there it is a RLC on the adjacent service road. POI-Factory has tweaked some of the distance settings to reduce the false alerts.

Do you know if there are literally RLC in the POI file which don't exist? or Is there a RLC in the area but only if you driving in an adjacent road (or different direction?

You say they would need

You say they would need people in Dallas, NYC, DC for false alerts. Do they have people in other communities? I'm in Chicago and am looking for accurate and up to date red light and speed camera information. How to find out if the info from this site is good and updated? Thanks.

@JimmyDMan77

The camera data on this site is as accurate and up to date as you will find anywhere. The data is updated weekly (on Wednesday). The managers of this site (JM and GlobeTurtle) collect data from members and other sources and validate all changes to the camera data.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

I like the POI-factory RLC alerts better

I dunno if it's just a hiccup with my GPS model, but the Garmin RLC POI alert sometimes only goes off in one direction of travel, even though the cameras face all directions.

No such problems with the POI-factory RLCs though!

Red light camera file

Forget the garmin stuff, stick with POI. HAVE BEEN A SUBSCRIBER FOR SEVERAL years, works fine, and they can use all your support.

--
Michael J. Moonitz Massapequa, NY C340, N650, N660, N1490T, N2797 LMT, NuviCam

I Use Both

My nuvi2460LMT is loaded with both versions and works fine.

--
romanviking

The RLC data ...

... from here has worked great for me for many years.

--
Nuvi 2460

Hilarious that someone

Hilarious that someone re-hashed this thread and brought it to the active forum's headline list. smile

.

scott_dog wrote:

I dunno if it's just a hiccup with my GPS model, but the Garmin RLC POI alert sometimes only goes off in one direction of travel, even though the cameras face all directions.

No such problems with the POI-factory RLCs though!

I believe the POI Factory RLC POIs are CSV rather than GPX. With CSV you get a proximity warning based soley on distance. GPX includes directional data in addition to distance data.

So if an intersection has only RLC for northbound traffic, and is accurately coded in the GPX file, it will only alert you if you are northbound. If you had a CSV file, it would alert you no matter what direction you are heading, as long as you are within the warning distance radius.

Magellan GPS that came with red light cameras.

I have a Magellan GPS that came with a red light camera database. It alerts sometimes.

One place it alerts there is no camera. In fact, there are no cameras in that city at all, never were.

So one would wonder where Magellan got that database.

Not sure if it's possible to install the Poi Factory camera database in that.

Not sure about this

perpster wrote:
scott_dog wrote:

I dunno if it's just a hiccup with my GPS model, but the Garmin RLC POI alert sometimes only goes off in one direction of travel, even though the cameras face all directions.

No such problems with the POI-factory RLCs though!

I believe the POI Factory RLC POIs are CSV rather than GPX. With CSV you get a proximity warning based soley on distance. GPX includes directional data in addition to distance data.

So if an intersection has only RLC for northbound traffic, and is accurately coded in the GPX file, it will only alert you if you are northbound. If you had a CSV file, it would alert you no matter what direction you are heading, as long as you are within the warning distance radius.

I am not sure how it works. I usually try to avoid the cameras at all costs and use these alerts as a last minute warning to go some other way. There is one road I occasionally drive where there is a camera around the corner a block away. If the Garmin Nuvi is routing me someplace and routes me through the intersection with the camera and I am driving on the road without the camera, the alert triggers before I get to the place where I would turn towards the camera (but of course I do not do that). If I am driving on the same road without the routing on, the alert does not trigger.

.

tomturtle wrote:
perpster wrote:
scott_dog wrote:

I dunno if it's just a hiccup with my GPS model, but the Garmin RLC POI alert sometimes only goes off in one direction of travel, even though the cameras face all directions.

No such problems with the POI-factory RLCs though!

I believe the POI Factory RLC POIs are CSV rather than GPX. With CSV you get a proximity warning based soley on distance. GPX includes directional data in addition to distance data.

So if an intersection has only RLC for northbound traffic, and is accurately coded in the GPX file, it will only alert you if you are northbound. If you had a CSV file, it would alert you no matter what direction you are heading, as long as you are within the warning distance radius.

I am not sure how it works. I usually try to avoid the cameras at all costs and use these alerts as a last minute warning to go some other way. There is one road I occasionally drive where there is a camera around the corner a block away. If the Garmin Nuvi is routing me someplace and routes me through the intersection with the camera and I am driving on the road without the camera, the alert triggers before I get to the place where I would turn towards the camera (but of course I do not do that). If I am driving on the same road without the routing on, the alert does not trigger.

Ditto. I interpret RLC's and speed cameras as an invitation to spend my time and money elsewhere.

I have seen portable speed

I have seen portable speed cameras in Denver.

Garmin did indeed have an

Garmin did indeed have an option for intersections with speed cameras in the US. When I got a Nuvi 40 part of the initialization or first update process offered either a subscription for a fee or a free trial. I tried the trial (which had no updates but didn't expire) and of course it did work. That is it did work until I found this site!! When I installed the rest area POIs (the geriatric favorite!) I accidentally blew the light camera file away.

Poi Factory file

I think the POI Factory red light camera file is the most actively maintained one available.

Looking forward to a possible solution

My son recently received two speeding tickets from the same camera, one going and one returning the same day on a visit to his sister's house. I am looking forward to trying the POI solution and sharing it with my son.

Does anyone have any experience with the products that mask the license plate only to the camera?

--
Jere

oops - old thread

I am new to this site and just realized I am putting content in an old thread.

Sorry

--
Jere

uh oh.....

Jere Wood wrote:

My son recently received two speeding tickets from the same camera, one going and one returning the same day on a visit to his sister's house. I am looking forward to trying the POI solution and sharing it with my son.

Does anyone have any experience with the products that mask the license plate only to the camera?

I'd be very very careful saying things like what you posted. Its sure to pucker some people's hemorrhoids right up and we'll find ourselves ensnared into a raging physolophical discussion for the next year.

If you search through the forums on this site I'm sure you can acquire insight into the various factions and the all to numerous viewpoints.

Unfortunately, it seem we can't all agree that we're all entitled to our opinions especially if we agree we're going to disagree and its even a better opinion if we choose not to share it!

If we could all agree the RLC/ SPEED CAMZ files are TOOLS and not intended to give someone the ability to break the law, and leave it at that, we'd have little to discuss on the topic other than when additions or deletions needed to be made! shock

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Portable

quackinup wrote:

This thread got me thinking. Do any cities use portable speed cameras? Like the portable trailers that display your speed to you, with a camera attached?

One of the communities around Cincinnati had portable speed camera units. They caught so much flack that they removed them.

Welcome

Jere Wood wrote:

I am new to this site and just realized I am putting content in an old thread.

Sorry

Not a problem as this is one of the threads that always seems to get resurrected every now and then.

By the way, Welcome to POI Factory. Stick around ... there is lots to be learned from this site. And ... it is always nice to see another Iowa member smile

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Editted Myself

johnnatash4 wrote:

And I have both, poi has a lot of false alerts, I can imagine it's like anything else (take area codes), it grows and grows and it's easy to add new locations, but is somehow difficult to edit i.e. remove non-existent locations. With Cyclops, I've never knowingly had a false alert, never. Whether it's missed a location, I can't say as I've not experienced it (doesn't mean it doesn't happen).

Poi imho would seriously need people who live in Dallas, NYC, DC, to report the false alerts otherwise it will just be the way it is. I've told myself better to have a false alert than none at all, though I'm beginning to wonder about that... smile

I noticed the false alerts also. So I just edit them out myself. The reason that it happens here in my city is that they keep moving the cameras when they don't generate enough revenue. Others like the moving photoradar cameras/vehicles, I just add their location whenever I see them sitting there.

Magellan GPS that came with red light cameras.

I have a Magellan GPS that came with red light cameras.

It has a database in it, but interestingly it alerts where there have never been any enforcement cameras. I found two such place, a city that has never had cameras at all.

I know, I was there at the city council meeting where a salesman from ATS pitched the council. I spoke against it, and I won. Haha. Not really. But they didn't buy it.

Does Anyone know if it's possible to install the POI Factory red light file in a Magellan GPS?

The Difference...?

POI's is free... and better grin

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

RLC accuracy

A few miles from where I live, smartphone app Waze has shown a red light camera alert in an intersection that has never had a red light camera. They're not used in my area, the closest being about 90 minutes away. Waze gives the user a chance to report that a hazard shown on Waze is "Not There," and I've reported that frequently, but it keeps showing up.

POI Factory's RLC file doesn't have it.

--
JMoo On

!$$!!:!$%=÷¤Г

dagarmin wrote:

Waze gives the user a chance to report that a hazard shown on Waze is "Not There," and I've reported that frequently, but it keeps showing up.

Hmmmm.. WAZE must be managed by former government officals!

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Wouldn't be surprised

BarneyBadass wrote:
dagarmin wrote:

Waze gives the user a chance to report that a hazard shown on Waze is "Not There," and I've reported that frequently, but it keeps showing up.

Hmmmm.. WAZE must be managed by former government officals!

Or local officials keep reentering the intersection as an RLC location. Quite possible.

--
JMoo On

Same as Magellan data.

dagarmin wrote:

A few miles from where I live, smartphone app Waze has shown a red light camera alert in an intersection that has never had a red light camera. They're not used in my area, the closest being about 90 minutes away. Waze gives the user a chance to report that a hazard shown on Waze is "Not There," and I've reported that frequently, but it keeps showing up.

POI Factory's RLC file doesn't have it.

Waze must have used the same RLC file Magellan used. I get alerts at two locations in Placentia, CA, which has never had RLC installed.

False Alerts

The problem is people are reporting ANYTHING that looks like a camera. Below is a link showing different kinds of traffic control sincers. Some are for making the light change from red to green and some a for emergency vehicles. They are not (Red Light) Cameras.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-cameras-on-top-of-traffic-ligh...

.

kb5rir wrote:

The problem is people are reporting ANYTHING that looks like a camera. Below is a link showing different kinds of traffic control sincers. Some are for making the light change from red to green and some a for emergency vehicles. They are not (Red Light) Cameras.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-cameras-on-top-of-traffic-ligh...

Agreed, which is why the POI Factory RLC page has this FAQ link for distinguishing between camera types:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6698

Sneaky

Governments in US Ca Aus Ned Fr Be have cameras on the databases that
a: simply don't exist
b: are empty
c: contains only a flash

In the hope that those who subscribe to lists will slow down stop or otherwise behave

--
If only ..

I subscribed

to garmin a few years ago and found it to be more accurate. Just as it's been mentioned sometimes people mistake something for a camera when it is not, there is a tendency not to remove ones that have been relocated or non functional or never actually happened (some may have been for a list or article etc.). So the free one imho tends to go off all the time, whereas the garmin when I used it was accurate. we could get into what do you want for free, or, you get what you pay for...over time, I've found the answer really is to not run lights. But if you want to, then you want to be aware of the camera locations...

I've driven 2 mos. unaware that there was a camera at Island and Bartram, and thought many times, there ought to be a camera here. There has been for over 2 years! Yet I haven't gotten any tix in the mail. So in reality, what do I need something telling me it's there for...

Red light

Do it also tell you where police located

--
Servant of God

No

Da Chosen One wrote:

Do it also tell you where police located

Just lists locations of traffic lights where there are cameras recording vehicles passing through the intersection.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.
<<Page 2