16 mph???

 

I drive A LOT and have noticed several places on interstates where my Garmin Drive 6 says the speed limit is only 16 mph. Anyone else see that? Also, there's a grey exclamation point in the corner that, when i tap on it, there's 2 entries that just say "16 mph". When I tap on either, there's an entry for a POI but I can't clear either of them. Anyone else have this happen?

I think you have a poi file that has the 16 in it.

It's probably in the name of the poi file.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Here's a short thread

This is most likely the cause:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/40583

16 mph

CraigW wrote:

This is most likely the cause:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/40583

The 16 mph thing has been there from day 1, before I loaded any POI files. The other issue showed up 2 months after I loaded a POI file, but it doesn't give me any way to clear the alerts.

POI files

Knuckles wrote:
CraigW wrote:

This is most likely the cause:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/40583

The 16 mph thing has been there from day 1, before I loaded any POI files. The other issue showed up 2 months after I loaded a POI file, but it doesn't give me any way to clear the alerts.

What POI files does your unit have installed?

To find/fix the problem, try either:

Method 1

If you're willing to delete them on the GPS, connect the GPS to your computer, start the POI Loader program and on its 4th page. change to Remove all previously installed custom POIs from your device, then press next, etc.

Now safely disconnect your GPS, power it up, and drive or simulate a route that used to give you the 16mph alerts are gone. Both of us who have replied think they will be gone. Of course this will require you to reload your desired custom POIs from your computer to your GPS but only after correcting the filename(s) of any csv or gpx file that contains numerals.

Method 2

On your GPS, select the Custom POI page. (I don't know where it is since I don't know what model a '6LM' is. Look for some fine print on your GPS and see if it has a model number like nuvi 60 or Drive 60 or something. The only time I see models called 6 or 6LM, they're on eBay or some odd sales site offering 6" display GPS devices.)

For each of your GPS's custom POI offerings, tap one and see if offers a "Go" button. The problem POI file will be the one that has no "Go" button.

http://www.poi-factory.com/garmin/problemsolver#go-button

Now go to your computer folder where the custom POI files (csv and gpx) are kept and look at the file for that group of POIs that was missing the "Go" button and remove the 16 from the file name, then reload your custom POIs to your GPS with POI Loader.

Just to be sure we're all on the 'same page', you cannot fix the phantom 16mph alert on your GPS with just your GPS. You can't clear the alert when it occurs on the GPS but you can prevent the unintended alert from occurring in the first place by having your GPS connected to your computer, and either a) removing all custom POIs or b) reloading your custom POIs after changing the filename of any custom POI files (csv or gox) to remove any numerals in the filename.

For example, if one of the custom POI files you downloaded or created is in your computer with a name like

Sweet16gifts.csv

you need to rename the file along the lines of

SweetSixteengifts.csv

In rereading your first post mentioning that these occur along interstate highways, your problem POI file containing a numeral is one that has locations typically located along interstate highways like Rest Areas, service stations, etc.

Did you possibly buy a used or refurbished GPS? If so, the previous owner may have installed a custom POI with a filename containing 16 and that could explain why you've always had the problem.

Good luck.

16 mph

CraigW wrote:
Knuckles wrote:
CraigW wrote:

This is most likely the cause:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/40583

The 16 mph thing has been there from day 1, before I loaded any POI files. The other issue showed up 2 months after I loaded a POI file, but it doesn't give me any way to clear the alerts.

What POI files does your unit have installed?

To find/fix the problem, try either:

Method 1

If you're willing to delete them on the GPS, connect the GPS to your computer, start the POI Loader program and on its 4th page. change to Remove all previously installed custom POIs from your device, then press next, etc.

Now safely disconnect your GPS, power it up, and drive or simulate a route that used to give you the 16mph alerts are gone. Both of us who have replied think they will be gone. Of course this will require you to reload your desired custom POIs from your computer to your GPS but only after correcting the filename(s) of any csv or gpx file that contains numerals.

Method 2

On your GPS, select the Custom POI page. (I don't know where it is since I don't know what model a '6LM' is. Look for some fine print on your GPS and see if it has a model number like nuvi 60 or Drive 60 or something. The only time I see models called 6 or 6LM, they're on eBay or some odd sales site offering 6" display GPS devices.)

For each of your GPS's custom POI offerings, tap one and see if offers a "Go" button. The problem POI file will be the one that has no "Go" button.

http://www.poi-factory.com/garmin/problemsolver#go-button

Now go to your computer folder where the custom POI files (csv and gpx) are kept and look at the file for that group of POIs that was missing the "Go" button and remove the 16 from the file name, then reload your custom POIs to your GPS with POI Loader.

Just to be sure we're all on the 'same page', you cannot fix the phantom 16mph alert on your GPS with just your GPS. You can't clear the alert when it occurs on the GPS but you can prevent the unintended alert from occurring in the first place by having your GPS connected to your computer, and either a) removing all custom POIs or b) reloading your custom POIs after changing the filename of any custom POI files (csv or gox) to remove any numerals in the filename.

For example, if one of the custom POI files you downloaded or created is in your computer with a name like

Sweet16gifts.csv

you need to rename the file along the lines of

SweetSixteengifts.csv

In rereading your first post mentioning that these occur along interstate highways, your problem POI file containing a numeral is one that has locations typically located along interstate highways like Rest Areas, service stations, etc.

Did you possibly buy a used or refurbished GPS? If so, the previous owner may have installed a custom POI with a filename containing 16 and that could explain why you've always had the problem.

Good luck.

It was brand new. The 16 mph warnings happened before I installed any POi files. It happens at off-ramps and interchanges. I checked my files. There's only 3, none have 16 in the title and all give me the Go button. The Drive 6LM is the Drive 60. It just depends on where you look for the model. (i.e. the box is labeled 6LM and there's a spot in the software that calls it a 6LM. But the user manual says Drive 40/50/60.)

Hard reset?

Knuckles wrote:

It was brand new. The 16 mph warnings happened before I installed any POi files. It happens at off-ramps and interchanges. I checked my files. There's only 3, none have 16 in the title and all give me the Go button. The Drive 6LM is the Drive 60. It just depends on where you look for the model. (i.e. the box is labeled 6LM and there's a spot in the software that calls it a 6LM. But the user manual says Drive 40/50/60.)

If it's not a custom POI issue, maybe it's due for a hard reset:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/26136

Well

I agree with Craig. I understand you say it's brand new but I wonder if it was a refurbished device. Do a search on it for all *.gpi files and see what happens. Garmin devices will hoover up .gpi files from anywhere, not just those in the POI folder.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

It is an odd one

sussamb wrote:

I agree with Craig. I understand you say it's brand new but I wonder if it was a refurbished device. Do a search on it for all *.gpi files and see what happens. Garmin devices will hoover up .gpi files from anywhere, not just those in the POI folder.

I had also wondered about it being a refurb that arrived in a plain white box rather than a colorful Garmin box, especially with the box calling it a '6LM' but not having owned any of the new Drive models, I don't know what they should look like or if Garmin sells new Drive models called variously '6' and '60.'

Yes indeed, a search of the Drive for all files for the .gpi extension is what I'd do next, making sure that my computer is set to see all files (Windows folder options settings and switch from MTP to MS mode)

http://www.poi-factory.com/garmin/problemsolver#system-folde...

since we both think the described problem is a custom POI issue since it exactly describes a known issue and that I've never heard of any non-custom-POI issue causing this result. On the other hand, I can't imagine any custom POI that would set locations near interstate highway off ramps or interchanges. question

Besides the hard reset which has been known to fix many odd issues, I guess we should also confirm that the latest map update has been performed and that the problem has been there for the original and updated City Navigator maps. Also, are the custom POIs installed downloaded from here at The Factory, custom made by Knuckles, or something else? And if not having done a "remove all custom POIs" yet with POI Loader to see if the alerts are gone, I'd do that.

If the GPS were mine, I'd find its described alerts as being totally unacceptable and would call Garmin Support for help. Knuckles, if your Drive is still under warranty, call (don't email) Garmin support and have your Drive linked to your computer when calling. Garmin Support may have heard of this before and also can remotely access the Drive to view or alter files to repair the unit.

Other than what's been discussed so far, I'm out of suggestions.

Aha!?

An aha moment, maybe. If true, thanks for reporting that it occurs on offramps and interchanges. Check the Owners Manual:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Drive_40-50-60_OM_EN.pdf

Pages 2-3: "Driver Awareness feature and alerts," specifically the speed limit and curve options. From the manual, it appears these alerts can be disabled.

Page 12 also describes how to restore settings or reset the GPS.

If an aha moment, then all is good. But it may not be an aha since the alert being received always seems to be a 16mph alert and that is oddly consistent and specific. It also seems that other Drive owners would have experienced this and mentioned it by now.

Did I miss something?The OP

Did I miss something?

The OP stated that he checked the titles of the POI files for 16 (and I'm assuming that these are folder titles), but did he check the individual files within the POI group (folder)?

what are the names of the 3 poi files he has loaded, and where did they come from?
What is the name of the gpi file?

Where did the OP state that the unit came in a white box, is a refurb, or anything else? All he said is that it is "new". That may in fact mean it is new to him, but we don't know it's history beyond that.

Too many assumptions here.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

16 mph

KenSny wrote:

Did I miss something?

The OP stated that he checked the titles of the POI files for 16 (and I'm assuming that these are folder titles), but did he check the individual files within the POI group (folder)?

what are the names of the 3 poi files he has loaded, and where did they come from?
What is the name of the gpi file?

Where did the OP state that the unit came in a white box, is a refurb, or anything else? All he said is that it is "new". That may in fact mean it is new to him, but we don't know it's history beyond that.

Too many assumptions here.

I bought brand new it in a chain store, no plain white box, actual graphic printed box. There was no refurbished sticker, pamphlet or print anywhere on the box, device included in the literature, etc. When I looked for "16" in the filename, I searched everything, files and folders. The POI files came from POI-Factory. the files that I used were "gas_stations.csv", "Independent Truck Stops.gpx" and "Tim Hortons_USA.csv". They were processed through the Garmin program.

The 16 mph alerts at exits and interchanges occurred immediately out of the box before I added anything. My concern is that the 16 mph alerts began before any POI files were added and the device is brand new not refurbished.

I would disable speed limit alerts, however there have been many towns where someone decided to plant a tree near a speed limit sign and it grew to block the sign, or someone took the sign out leaving nothing but tire tracks. I know that the speed zones can vary if I depend on the device, but at least it may help before I get a ticket.

Did you try...

...to reset all settings to the factory default values? I don't know if that will help or not but if you haven't done so, I would give that a try.
Restoring settings
You can restore a category of settings or all settings to the factory default values.
Select Settings.
If necessary, select a settings category.
Select > Restore.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

OK, questions answered

Knuckles wrote:

....The POI files came from POI-Factory. the files that I used were "gas_stations.csv", "Independent Truck Stops.gpx" and "Tim Hortons_USA.csv". They were processed through the Garmin program.

Did you run POILoader in Manual or Express mode?
If you ran it in Express mode, try running it in Manual mode and see if anything "16" pops up as a speed.

But then, you say it has been that way since before you added POI, so I would do a factory reset first and it will clean out anything that somehow got loaded. Let us know what happens.
Good luck.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

It's entirely possible ...

I purchased a device a number of years ago that was "new" and in the original, sealed box. When I powered it up, two nearby locations, one labeled "Me" and the other labeled "You." Both these locations were within five miles of my house. It's possible that someone may have purchased Mr. Knuckles' device, perhaps installed some custom POI's in it and later decided that it wasn't for them and returned it to the store which later resold it.

I immediately returned that particular device to the big-box store I purchased it from, and never bought one from there again.

Mr. Knuckles, you should take that device back to the store and exchange it, or get a refund. Good luck.

--

it's the dog's fault

--
Garmin nuvi 2455 - nuvi 350, 260 (spares) - my other toys: Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, MacOS: Mojave 10.14 and introducing The Beast, a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit and his Garmin DriveSmart 5. The dog's name is Ginger

Warranty starts when first started

renegade734 wrote:

I purchased a device a number of years ago that was "new" and in the original, sealed box. When I powered it up, two nearby locations, one labeled "Me" and the other labeled "You." Both these locations were within five miles of my house. It's possible that someone may have purchased Mr. Knuckles' device, perhaps installed some custom POI's in it and later decided that it wasn't for them and returned it to the store which later resold it.

I immediately returned that particular device to the big-box store I purchased it from, and never bought one from there again.

Mr. Knuckles, you should take that device back to the store and exchange it, or get a refund. Good luck.

--

it's the dog's fault

I believe that any warranty starts the. Second that the GPS locks onto the satellites. Don't know if there's a way to see what the activation date was.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Does garmin still install their own red light camera file?

If so, could there be something odd with that file?

What .gpi file's came up when you did a search?
Was there anything you didn't recognize?

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Ha,ha,ha

sussamb wrote:

I agree with Craig. I understand you say it's brand new but I wonder if it was a refurbished device. Do a search on it for all *.gpi files and see what happens. Garmin devices will hoover up .gpi files from anywhere, not just those in the POI folder.

If I didn't know where you live, the "Hoover" reference would do it.
Cheers

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Reset it then see if it will fix problem

If you don't have anything important on device start with factory reset. Otherwise you can spend a lot of time chasing all possible solutions and get to square one: reset to factory defaults.

I would agree with suggestions that you may have refurbished unit and it can have something messed up by previous owner. So try to erase all with factory reset and than see if problem still exists. If reset will not fix it will be time to look for some other solution.

Yep ...

Melaqueman wrote:
sussamb wrote:

I agree with Craig. I understand you say it's brand new but I wonder if it was a refurbished device. Do a search on it for all *.gpi files and see what happens. Garmin devices will hoover up .gpi files from anywhere, not just those in the POI folder.

If I didn't know where you live, the "Hoover" reference would do it.
Cheers

mrgreen

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Well ...

grzesja wrote:

If you don't have anything important on device start with factory reset. Otherwise you can spend a lot of time chasing all possible solutions and get to square one: reset to factory defaults.

I would agree with suggestions that you may have refurbished unit and it can have something messed up by previous owner. So try to erase all with factory reset and than see if problem still exists. If reset will not fix it will be time to look for some other solution.

Not sure a master reset would delete spurious poi files ... but if the OP has done a full search, and deleted all his poi files, then a master reset may help.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

And if too drastic for the OP to try,..

sussamb wrote:

Not sure a master reset would delete spurious poi files ... but if the OP has done a full search, and deleted all his poi files, then a master reset may help.

...page 12 of the owners manual describes two lesser alternatives, 'restoring settings' and 'resetting the device':

Resetting the device
You can reset your device if it stops functioning.
Hold the power key for 12 seconds

It's possible the Drive hasn't powered down and rebooted for a long time.

Its in...

Its definitely in the POI name/folder when it was uploaded to that file.

Never had that problem, but

Never had that problem, but then again I have very few POI's loaded.

16 mph

Final Update: First, the issue: On interstates/freeways, at interchanged and over/underpasses a speed limit warning of 16 MPH would appear. At some point, 2 FourSquare places showed up as notifications that I could not clear.

1) Brand new, not refurbished
2) No POIs loaded when issue first started
3) Did factory reset twice
4) Called Garmin, the said factory reset, followed their steps to make sure I didn't miss anything.
5) Received replacement, guaranteed to be factory new
6) Issue appeared on new device.

Solution: Returned for full refund, Purchased a DEZL 5. Issue has not appeared on DEZL.

Thanks

Knuckles wrote:

Final Update: First, the issue: On interstates/freeways, at interchanged and over/underpasses a speed limit warning of 16 MPH would appear. At some point, 2 FourSquare places showed up as notifications that I could not clear.

1) Brand new, not refurbished
2) No POIs loaded when issue first started
3) Did factory reset twice
4) Called Garmin, the said factory reset, followed their steps to make sure I didn't miss anything.
5) Received replacement, guaranteed to be factory new
6) Issue appeared on new device.

Solution: Returned for full refund, Purchased a DEZL 5. Issue has not appeared on DEZL.

Thanks for the report. It was/is still a puzzler exclaim

For sure, lost in comments is it happened to two units...

CraigW wrote:
Knuckles wrote:

Final Update: First, the issue: On interstates/freeways, at interchanged and over/underpasses a speed limit warning of 16 MPH would appear. At some point, 2 FourSquare places showed up as notifications that I could not clear.

1) Brand new, not refurbished
2) No POIs loaded when issue first started
3) Did factory reset twice
4) Called Garmin, the said factory reset, followed their steps to make sure I didn't miss anything.
5) Received replacement, guaranteed to be factory new
6) Issue appeared on new device.

Solution: Returned for full refund, Purchased a DEZL 5. Issue has not appeared on DEZL.

Thanks for the report. It was/is still a puzzler exclaim

--
John from PA

THAT is strange

question

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

It's over and done with but

I didn't read (or missed it) where he did a search for all poi files. He told us what he put on, but are there others put on by Garmin that are messed up. I guess we will never know.

pwohlrab wrote:

If so, could there be something odd with that file?

What .gpi file's came up when you did a search?
Was there anything you didn't recognize?

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

test case

Knuckles is doing a test with the new DEZL. If the 16 mph speed POIs appear on the DEZL we will know what is going on.

If the OP is using a Mac it would be more likely for another .csv file somewhere else on the computer to have been loaded. It would have to include 16 in the filename and it would not need to be a POI file.

16 is the key. A Garmin POI or a speed limit embedded in the map would never be 16.

dobs108 smile

master reset

sussamb mentioned above that a master reset will not delete any POI files from the GPS. I can confirm that.

For those who are not familiar with the folder structure of the GPS or are unsure how to make hidden files visible, it is safer to remove POIs using Garmin POI Loader. Rather than choosing the radio button to load POIs, click on "Remove All POIs." After that load all the POIs you intend to load, while avoiding any spurious .csv or .gpx files.

Craig mentioned this in his comprehensive explanation above.

dobs108 smile

Hi, in my experience, I do

Hi, in my experience, I do have the same. After changing kmph to mph via Garmin software before importing into gps, all just back to normal in my case. Hope this help

the same problem?

anh wrote:

Hi, in my experience, I do have the same. After changing kmph to mph via Garmin software before importing into gps, all just back to normal in my case. Hope this help

Did you have the same problem as Knuckles in the nuvi 3790?

And it went back to normal after changing kmph to mph in the GPS or was it in POI Loader?

dobs108 smile

Please note

This thread was started about six weeks ago and the suggestions occurring today (plus others) have already been made, tested and failed.

The issue has occurred with two new Drive 60 models but not with a Dezl and may have something to do with FourSquare.

It is a mystery and makes me wonder if there's something buggy in the Drive 60 software, FourSquare data and/or map.

As suggested earlier in the thread, Garmin solved the problem for the OP by replacing the Drive with a Dezl.