UNION labor

 

My wife was driving today, and there is a big RAT at the construction site of a new building.

I look at the pic that she texted me, there are 4 guys standing around with impeccable tans, and they drove up in an Acura MDX with a Thule pod on the top? Placed an orange cone so that nobody would I guess clip the Acura.

I would think a F250 or RAM 2500 or Silverado would be more appropriate?

Isn't the very nature of their beef, the fact that the new building is not using union labor? Even if the Acura MDX is made in Ohio, it's by non union labor, right?

I don't want to upload the pic because I'm not looking for people to be clearly identified, but isn't it ironic?

== MODERATOR NOTE==

This topic could easily degrade into bickering.

Please be friendly and polite. If the tone degrades, the thread will be closed.

What Are POI Factory's Forum Rules?
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/28855

RAT?

RAT?

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

NY Rats

phranc wrote:

RAT?

In NYC, Unions use a big Blow up RAT in front of building or places on a Picket line

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

you might think so

johnnatash4 wrote:

~snip~

Isn't the very nature of their beef, the fact that the new building is not using union labor? Even if the Acura MDX is made in Ohio, it's by non union labor, right?

~snip~

I am a union Teamster. For the monthly meeting they suggest anyone with a non American car not park in the union hall lot, park on the street instead.

phranc wrote:

RAT?

rat ---> https://i1.wp.com/www.chicagoclout.com/weblog/archives/Big%2...

bobkz wrote:

In NYC, Unions use a big Blow up RAT in front of building or places on a Picket line

I saw one recently that in addition to the rat had a big blow up fat cat with bundles of cash in it's paws.

The cat was similar to this without the worker in one hand ---> https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/bigskyballoons/dms3rep/m...

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

so

soberbyker wrote:
johnnatash4 wrote:

~snip~

Isn't the very nature of their beef, the fact that the new building is not using union labor? Even if the Acura MDX is made in Ohio, it's by non union labor, right?

~snip~

I am a union Teamster. For the monthly meeting they suggest anyone with a non American car not park in the union hall lot, park on the street instead.

phranc wrote:

RAT?

rat ---> https://i1.wp.com/www.chicagoclout.com/weblog/archives/Big%2...

bobkz wrote:

In NYC, Unions use a big Blow up RAT in front of building or places on a Picket line

I saw one recently that in addition to the rat had a big blow up fat cat with bundles of cash in it's paws.

The cat was similar to this without the worker in one hand ---> https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/bigskyballoons/dms3rep/m...

So here's my question...the car is an Acura MDX, and probably made in OH. That's the USA. but it was NOT made by UAW workers. So shouldn't they not drive it, when they are implying that not using union workers at the jobsite, is not proper?

Even my wife was driving a car made in Michigan by UAW workers lol

Live and let live

In the words of Rodney King, “Can't we all just get along?” smile

sure

mcginkleschmidt wrote:

In the words of Rodney King, “Can't we all just get along?” smile

We can, and we should. But being a fan of the Sopranos show, I find it interesting to imply physical harm is coming when you go to work. It's like stepping out of the tv into the real world. I'm also curious why a union person could drive an Acura, then claim other people are rats? It is an odd, outward, appearance, to buy a non union made car, and then take it to a job site where you are calling people rats. And what's with the impeccable tans to boot? You only get that way from a soft life of leisure.

What is a USA made car?

This is a idiotic thread.
Can anyone on this thread give me a list of Cars/trucks that are 100% made in the USA.
As far as I can find, the list is ZERO.
It started with the radio when almost all car radios were made outside the USA.
In each auto in the drivers door is a list of how much of that vehicle is made in the USA or assembled. Check it

Moderator Note

This topic could easily degrade into bickering.

Please be friendly and polite. If the tone degrades, the thread will be closed.

What Are POI Factory's Forum Rules?
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/28855

Content

You can visit the link shown to see vehicle content by country, final assembly points, etc.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/part-583-american-automobile-labeling-...

Also, Motorola was one of the first automobile radios manufactured in the USA in 1930, Motorola ended their manufacture of auto radios in 1987. Delco Electronics also made radios for GM vehicles for years, as well as other brands, Delco Electronics is no longer around.

Not Bickering

I posted my reply because this is a political thread and the moderator let it slip through the grates.
I am a retired union president and I also was a press operator that printed "Penthouse, Playboy, Better Homes & Gardens plus other" until we were bought out and the plant closed.
We as a union shop did not require membership but we had 2 sets of rules. One who paid and one who did not. The problem with that was the same amount of people got fired.

Actually -----

kurzemnieks wrote:

This is a idiotic thread.
Can anyone on this thread give me a list of Cars/trucks that are 100% made in the USA.
As far as I can find, the list is ZERO.
It started with the radio when almost all car radios were made outside the USA.
In each auto in the drivers door is a list of how much of that vehicle is made in the USA or assembled. Check it

William Lear is credited with the patent for a car radio, which he sold to Motorola and Motorola took it to market.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Only Union Job I ever had was Retail Clerks

johnnatash4 wrote:
mcginkleschmidt wrote:

In the words of Rodney King, “Can't we all just get along?” smile

We can, and we should. But being a fan of the Sopranos show, I find it interesting to imply physical harm is coming when you go to work. It's like stepping out of the tv into the real world. I'm also curious why a union person could drive an Acura, then claim other people are rats? It is an odd, outward, appearance, to buy a non union made car, and then take it to a job site where you are calling people rats. And what's with the impeccable tans to boot? You only get that way from a soft life of leisure.

As a Youngster in Jersey (Closed Shop) was forced to join Retail Clerks Local 1049, Shop Steward was the Store Manager, long story short, petitioned for Shop Steward, denied by President of Local, filed with Labor department, went to Vietnam, received letter from Sec of Labor that The president was convicted of Embezzlement, in Prison and a few year later received a an apology from local 1049 and free Withdrawal Card. Unions use intimidation and violence to try to force Unionization and ridicules wages not corresponding to job skills. You paid for those Sun Tans, Cars, etc. with your initiation fees and dues!

well

It sounds like based on the responses, it is OK to drive an Acura to a jobsite, inflate a rat, and make workers feel they are doing something wrong by being non union.

I would have thought there is a "fraternal" element to it. You believe others should be in a union, then you would buy a union product.

I think many have missed the point--it's not where the vehicles are made, but if they are UAW made. To me, those gentleman who are intimidating others going to work, should have a UAW made vehicle.

Acura MDX is a highly rated vehicle. Apparently these guys want value for their money.

first

kurzemnieks wrote:

This is a idiotic thread.
Can anyone on this thread give me a list of Cars/trucks that are 100% made in the USA.
As far as I can find, the list is ZERO.
It started with the radio when almost all car radios were made outside the USA.
In each auto in the drivers door is a list of how much of that vehicle is made in the USA or assembled. Check it

Of all, my preference was at one time, leaning towards vehicles made in Germany. I would prefer Germany over SC or AL 7 days a week.

Have you ever heard of a factory (I'm thinking of one in CT), that supplies our DOD, and has 100% legal immigrants in its factory? It's apparent that at the rate of pay being offered, they need to bring immigrants into CT, to work in the factory, legally. Not illegally. So to cover the visas and the labor rate, that is less costly than employing Americans (I think it is because nobody will work at that rate, and we're at full employment).

So the entire point was not where a vehicle was made, but if it is made by the UAW.

first

kurzemnieks wrote:

This is a idiotic thread.
Can anyone on this thread give me a list of Cars/trucks that are 100% made in the USA.
As far as I can find, the list is ZERO.
It started with the radio when almost all car radios were made outside the USA.
In each auto in the drivers door is a list of how much of that vehicle is made in the USA or assembled. Check it

Of all, my preference was at one time, leaning towards vehicles made in Germany. I would prefer Germany over SC or AL 7 days a week. We just happened to end up with one car made in Germany, two in Japan, and one in Michigan by the UAW. This is because at one time, each of the vehicles was in my mind, best in its class. I will never spend my money on something that is inferior.

Have you ever heard of a factory (I'm thinking of one in CT), that supplies our DOD, and has 100% legal immigrants in its factory? It's apparent that at the rate of pay being offered, they need to bring immigrants into CT, to work in the factory, legally. Not illegally. So to cover the visas and the labor rate, that is less costly than employing Americans (I think it is because nobody will work at that rate, and we're at full employment). The scary thing is when the labor rate is actually mentioned. $14/hr. We don't have anybody willing to work for that? I understand it's not a lot, but nobody? We're actually pretty well off by world standards.

So the entire point was not where a vehicle was made, but if it is made by the UAW. I had thought (erroneously, now I know), that union folks bought union made cars. That's obviously not even remotely true, because if it were, people would say so, not answer questions with more questions or unrelated statements. None of us here knows everything in the world, and that's why we ask questions.

Make a list

Make a list of all vehicles made with union labor that would be considered appropriate or approved.

Frankly, there isn't much made union anymore. If union members want to show solidarity, it's gonna be tough to shun the non-union products and find and use union made product exclusively.

But you are in America, and you are free to choose.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

now

diesel wrote:

Make a list of all vehicles made with union labor that would be considered appropriate or approved.

Frankly, there isn't much made union anymore. If union members want to show solidarity, it's gonna be tough to shun the non-union products and find and use union made product exclusively.

But you are in America, and you are free to choose.

I don't disagree, and in reality, those guys in the pic that my wife texted, are driving a very reliable luxury car, and likely have kids to send to college, and therefore spending their money wisely. They had the Peter Millar golf shirts and slacks, tanned, and obviously not exactly laborers. The orange cone behind the Acura was a nice touch--they ain't cheap, I looked into getting one.

I'm not judging, merely saying that I would have thought a different vehicle would make a different statement, etc. Even from my own household--if it were my turn to go to that site, I'd take my wife's car and don a class II vest and hardhat (they are always in my trunk)--yes, for appearances.

There's no reason imho to spin a thread out of control, and answer questions with statements unrelated, etc. How did we ever get into where something is made (and challenges lol), when the topic was union? It is what it is. Now I know.

Concluding the thread

It appears to have a limited set of talking points and is right at the edge of politically charged debate / arguing for sport.