Dash cam (2014)

 

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have a suggestion to reliable quality dash cam that does not require additional wiring inside the vehicle ?....just plug in the lighter outlet and good to go

thank you

Page 1>>

compare here

https://dashcamtalk.com/

Great site for all things dashcam.

Personally I went with the Panorama S, simple plug into the cigar lighter outlet.

https://dashcamtalk.com/powerucc-panoramaii/#Panorama_S

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Dashcams

Check out eBay, there are many there starting at just over $ 20.00
My recommendation is the kind that slips over the rearview mirror. One less contraption on the dash or windshield.
Also there is NO need to spend tons of money to buy one with GPS. It serves no purpose if all you want to record is the traffic happenings in front of your car.

I have the rearview mirror mounted one at a little more than $ 30.00, works great and if you are handy you can wire it into the light so that would eliminate plugging into the 12 volt outlet.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=HD+10...

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

I would be interested

I would be interested in those small video cameras used on reality shows like South Beach Towing, etc. I know they are probably expensive.

Dash cam

How long is the record time. I read some where there is one that can loop around until you need to see the video.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT, 60LMTHD

Panorama S

rthibodaux wrote:

How long is the record time. I read some where there is one that can loop around until you need to see the video.

My Panorama S does, it can use an SD card up to 128GB. It also has a button you can push to "save" a portion (20 seconds) of video, puts that 20 seconds in a special folder on the card that is not overwritten.

Anyone who is serious about getting a dashcam should check out dashcamtalk.com. It's a site a lot like poi-factory, has a forum with comparison threads, Q & A threads, the works and reviews for all price marks.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

dash cam

why would you need a dash cam ?

For the fun of it.

Steve620 wrote:

why would you need a dash cam ?

We drive a motorhome and often pass through the downtowns of cities that we want to remember, eg. Route 66 touring. My wife tries to use her video camera and that is pretty successful, but a dash cam would be nice. In a 40 foot motorhome, you don't just whip over to the side of the road and take photos when you want to.

Also, there are times when she is not available. If you look at YouTube, you will see lots of examples of what I am talking about. Google "the million dollar highway" and you will see some "white knuckle" coverage by RVers and cars alike. GoPro cameras are popular for this. Tornado chasers use them too.

So, why would you want a dash cam? Mostly for the fun of it.

--
rvOutrider

There's an App for That

If you have an Iphone 4 or newer and can mount it with a view of the windshield, Apple offers a free dash cam app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcam/id396087757?mt=8

I have no experience with the app but the reviews appear to be favorable.

Depends

Steve620 wrote:

why would you need a dash cam ?

If you live in Bucksnort,TN you proboably do not need one.

If you live in a very large city where you have lots of morons behind the wheel then you probably do want one.

My dashcam repeats in 10 minute cycles and does so eventually overwriting the first segment. You use a SD card to save it to.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Dash Cam

I have an Original Dash Cam 2. Tried other makes but not near the quality. It has great picture quality, both day and night, and is very easy to use. Only have to plug in the cigarette lighter. Their customer support is top-shelf as well.
Had a mini-van ran a red lite and went under my semi-trailer recently. The NYSP viewed the cam and immediately begin writing the other guy a handful of tickets. They were extremely impressed with the clarity and audio.

--
I don't care where I'm going, as long as I'm going.

Prove innocence

Steve620 wrote:

why would you need a dash cam ?

When being hit in an accident with no eye witnesses, it can come in handy to prove what actually happened.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

I call mine the idiot cam ,,,,

Steve620 wrote:

why would you need a dash cam ?

I got mine after watching all those Russian crash video's, thought I might catch something interesting once in a while, like the idiot in the clip below behind the school bus running a red light and almost getting t-boned, and with digital memory cards you're not wasting film, just delete what you don't want. Sometimes I let it run when I'm parked at a store like in the second video and catch stuff like the idiot coming down the wrong side of a two way street like he owns the road causing cars to stop on the main road. So basically I got it for fun, but if it happened to help me with some kind of evidence that would be a bonus, although watching the video's I've learned how 'bad' I drive myself. [Wink, Shrug] lot's of 'orange' lights. These are from my first cam, which I no longer use.

(change the youtube settings to 1080p for high def)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P4xyqmGGms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izgsdIKnqO4

I also catch a thing or two that are unusual, like this turkey walking across the street, not normal for my part of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXGZBHPNaDM

The turkey "Roscoe" was killed by a car a week later.

While not normal for my area Roscoe had been living around here for a couple years. Even had a following on Facebook.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Love these, thanks

soberbyker wrote:
Steve620 wrote:

why would you need a dash cam ?

I got mine after watching all those Russian crash video's, thought I might catch something interesting once in a while, like the idiot in the clip below behind the school bus running a red light and almost getting t-boned, and with digital memory cards you're not wasting film, just delete what you don't want. Sometimes I let it run when I'm parked at a store like in the second video and catch stuff like the idiot coming down the wrong side of a two way street like he owns the road causing cars to stop on the main road. So basically I got it for fun, but if it happened to help me with some kind of evidence that would be a bonus, although watching the video's I've learned how 'bad' I drive myself. [Wink, Shrug] lot's of 'orange' lights. These are from my first cam, which I no longer use.

(change the youtube settings to 1080p for high def)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P4xyqmGGms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izgsdIKnqO4

I also catch a thing or two that are unusual, like this turkey walking across the street, not normal for my part of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXGZBHPNaDM

The turkey "Roscoe" was killed by a car a week later.

While not normal for my area Roscoe had been living around here for a couple years. Even had a following on Facebook.

These were great. Hate to hear the sad news about Rosco, that was my favorite.
Now I want a dash cam.
(notice, everything I see I want) smile

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Dash Cam

I have been using one for several months,for just in case something happens and you need to view it.Have it set for 20 minute loop.Picture is great from sd card in device is 1080 hd,Only cost under 50.00.

For The Android...

There are 2 apps for the Android phone that i know of, if your interested in that. one will call a preset number if it senses that you were in a accident.

I use them to play around with.. many setting to do and they are free (you can get the pro ver with extra stuff if you need it)

They are called "Autoboy BlackBox" and "AutoGuard" just search for them on google Play and you will find them.

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

"why would you need a dash cam ?"?

For fun

My daughter gave me Dual Front & Rear Camera DVR Car Vehicle Dash Dashboard GPS Data Recorder 1.3M for my birthday and like it. It is a continuous loop and I have a 32 gig card in it so in high quality it will record for a long time. It plugs in to the power point and turns off when the car has stopped for a while. It uses the same plug as the Garmin so I use it to recharge the battery if it has been sitting unused for a while or to connect to the computer by USB and one less cable to carry.
The price was right (free but $46 at Amozon).
It has a choice of recording one or both cameras and the memory card has the viewer formatted on it so you just plug it into the computer and click on the viewer.

I've been following dash

I've been following dash cams on and off. In the beginning, I always wanted to see a more well known brand come out with a camera. I see Garmin has one or two but quality is not as I expected, from videos and reviews, Garmin could have done better. I guess it's back to the no names. I always worry about reliability.

I really would like one that has a small screen, makes it easier to review or help set up properly.

Thanks for the links and thoughts

Thanks for the links and thoughts above. Threads like this are part of why I like this site.

I would think that dash cams should have a cameras pointed not only in the front but also to the side window to capture any interactions with police officers. You don't have to read far in the news to recognize that it would be prudent to have a record of interactions with the police.

Got this today

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

wow.

How far technology has come.

Wow. How far technology has

Wow.

How far technology has come. I concur

I just got mine.

I just bought a dash cam and got it working yesterday. Been thinking about for upwards of a year. But I waited too long. 2 weeks ago I saw one of those once in a lifetime events (or maybe 100 lifetimes) and I had not yet ordered the camera.

For my boat

As a model boat builder I did some research on dash cams for I was looking for a small camera that I could put in the pilot house of my 6 foot long RC model of the paddle wheel boat "Delta Queen" so I could record at water level how the boat handles. Since this has two lenses I will have one over the paddle wheel also. It also has a microphone so that it will record the engine, whistle, bell and calliope. When I finish making her, I will work on my daughter to buy me a video transmitter so I can run it live action. Since I am building from scratch (not a kit) and only have 4 pages of blueprints I will probably be finished next spring if all goes well.
I had not used the dash cam lately so I put in a 16 gig micro card and had it record from 9pm to 9:30 am and the card was not even one eight filled.

Dash cam

I would like to know what Model Dash Cam that those that have them are using. If you can give the pros and cons it would be appreciated. I can go on line, but I think that I can get a better answer from individuals that are using them.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT, 60LMTHD

Dashcams

The dashcam I have is one which clips over the rearview mirror. Completely out of the way.
Guessing most here have a GPS already then why have another contraption cluttering up the windshield or dash.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Mine

I have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PYM5F2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p...
If you are not going to take it apart like me then it is a great unit. It has a front and rear camera and you can record front or back or both. If you have children then you can watch them without turning your head. As I stated before I put in a 16 gig card and it ran all night with room to spare so if you forget to turn it off you will still have the recording the next day.. It saves as an AVI file on your computer so almost all video programs will work.
I have two GPS units running when I drive so I do not use the gps in this unit.

Dash Cam Reviews

Lots of good dash cam reviews and videos at:

http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

What Model?

drdave00 wrote:

I have been using one for several months,for just in case something happens and you need to view it.Have it set for 20 minute loop.Picture is great from sd card in device is 1080 hd,Only cost under 50.00.

Do you mind saying what you bought?

Seems like a good all-around unit at a good price.

Thanks!

Dash cam

I wish garmin would integrate the dash cam with a GPS unit. Think Magellan already has one on the market. Garmin does have a unit for the Southeast Asia market that features a drive cam which plugs into the GPS. Uses a clever swivel mount also attached to the garmin windshield mount.

--
Michael J. Moonitz Massapequa, NY C340, N650, N660, N1490T, N2797 LMT, NuviCam

Smart Mirror

I'd like to see camera recording added to the Nissan "Smart Mirror". I like the concept - rather than a separate back up cam screen, just switch the mirror view.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-debut...

You Can't Be THAT Nieve... Can You ! ?

Steve620 wrote:

why would you need a dash cam ?

I can't believe you really asked that question! rolleyes

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

Been discussed here.

newbbie2014 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have a suggestion to reliable quality dash cam that does not require additional wiring inside the vehicle ?....just plug in the lighter outlet and good to go

thank you

Here's a link 'Right here in River City' that may interest you:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41218

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

Dash cam

Thank you for all the comments and feedback. I will take it from here...

Mobius

With so many choices, I looked for one that had the highest quality video in the smallest package that would 'loop' record.

The Mobius is not much larger than your car remote, and the images are nearly as good as a GoPro. (I have both.) I set it to record continuous loops of 5 minutes and to come on as soon as I plug in the power. I can also remove it from the mount and it runs for an hour or so on its internal battery.

It is not the easiest to configure, but there are numerous support forums because it has become incredibly popular with the radio control crowd.

https://dashcamtalk.com/mobius/

Do you have any issues with

Do you have any issues with the Mobius overheating or getting too hot? I recall that was a particular complaint in past discussions.

Overheating is rare

I have read the forums and it does run warm but there are two heat sinks on it. I think the rare occasions where people had problems were where it was used inside a very hot car. I never worry about it because if it is too hot for the camera, it is too hot for me too.

power

How much power do these dash cams use? I have been thinking of purchasing one since I have in the past year had my car broken into once, and vandalized twice. I was considering one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and keep it recording. But I don't want to run the battery down if I leave it recording for a day.

options

jfulton wrote:

How much power do these dash cams use? I have been thinking of purchasing one since I have in the past year had my car broken into once, and vandalized twice. I was considering one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and keep it recording. But I don't want to run the battery down if I leave it recording for a day.

There are 3 options:
1) wire it to cigarette lighter, so that the cam only operates when ACC is turned on. The downside is, there is no recording when parked. Parking footage will be helpful if your car is scratched while parked. (this happened to my co-worker)

2) wire it to a 5V battery pack (very common nowadays for phones, a "power bank"), and the power bank to cigarette lighter to charge when driving. The worse you can do is deplete the 5V power bank. No harm done to the car's 12V battery.

3) wire it to fuse box, and use a device (such as PowerMagic Pro) to monitor the time and voltage, so that it will shutdown if timeout or voltage falls below a set value.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Chickenhawks wrote:

I have read the forums and it does run warm but there are two heat sinks on it. I think the rare occasions where people had problems were where it was used inside a very hot car. I never worry about it because if it is too hot for the camera, it is too hot for me too.

Thanks, I agree with your last sentence. Who needs a thermometer, when you can be one yourself. grin

I'm waiting on the Panorama X2, looks to be a nice dual dash cam, I really want both a front and rear. Especially in case someone rear ends me and tries to take off or blames me. It can come in handy either catching a front plate or catching a driver texting or distracted, etc.

Thanks people.

My dash cam just arrived. Playing with it now. Video is very good.

thanks

I am looking for one with good pic quality in night time, as I drive to school in evening a lot. Any suggestions?

Panorama S

abin wrote:

I am looking for one with good pic quality in night time, as I drive to school in evening a lot. Any suggestions?

I have the Panorama S and it does quite well in the dark.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/powerucc-panorama-s.42...

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

and

mmoonitz wrote:

I wish garmin would integrate the dash cam with a GPS unit. Think Magellan already has one on the market. Garmin does have a unit for the Southeast Asia market that features a drive cam which plugs into the GPS. Uses a clever swivel mount also attached to the garmin windshield mount.

Don't you think we'd all complain about the dual purpose software?

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Thank You!

Thank You!

Thanks.

soberbyker wrote:
abin wrote:

I am looking for one with good pic quality in night time, as I drive to school in evening a lot. Any suggestions?

I have the Panorama S and it does quite well in the dark.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/powerucc-panorama-s.4286/

That one looks good, and it is kind of high end model.

Dash Cam

If you have not watched any of the Russian Dash Cam video on YouTube, it is enlightening. Almost funny if it was not so serious. I don't think we are to that point in the USA yet to require us to get protection in the form of a video history of what actually happened. If you are involved in a crash though, they do hold the history of what "Actually" happened rather than a he said she said fiasco.

--
Dudlee

Thanks....

very helpful info.

--
RKF (Bethesda, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

Dash cams don't lie and don't fudge information...

They're great if overall you're a responsible driver as it would be assumed they would show the other driver at fault in the event of an accident or incident. On the other hand if you're in the wrong you have cooked your own goose as the evidence can be used against you.

unlike

Frside007 wrote:

Dash cams don't lie and don't fudge information...
They're great if overall you're a responsible driver as it would be assumed they would show the other driver at fault in the event of an accident or incident. On the other hand if you're in the wrong you have cooked your own goose as the evidence can be used against you.

the traffic cameras right?

--
"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid."
Page 1>>