Problematic POI (only shows 60)

 

I've downloaded the "Canadian Rockies Peak Finder" POI and although it is quite dated in age, the description states that there are over 1500 points listed. Now when I download it I only get 60, and Ive deleted the file and then reinstalled it (POI Loader ) numerous times and it still remains at that 60 points mark..am I to assume that it is just incorrect in the description?.. a corrupt file?...or??
I have ample room on the unit, any suggestions?

Much thanks

sponsored links

They're all there

I downloaded the file and opened it with Excel. There are 1556 entries in it. What makes you think that there's fewer?

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

About 50

Garmin GPS devices will show only the nearest 50 or so sites based upon an "as the raven flies" distance from your current location. If you simulate a different current location (SET LOC) or travel, the nearest 50-ish sites will change.

When you ran Garmin's POI Loader program, the program will report that you've Successfully loaded xx,xxxx POIs which is the way to see if the POI file was correctly loaded.

This is for Garmin devices. I'm not sure how your Tom Tom handles custom POIs.

Peaked out

CraigW wrote:

Garmin GPS devices will show only the nearest 50 or so sites based upon an "as the raven flies" distance from your current location. If you simulate a different current location (SET LOC) or travel, the nearest 50-ish sites will change.

When you ran Garmin's POI Loader program, the program will report that you've Successfully loaded xx,xxxx POIs which is the way to see if the POI file was correctly loaded.

This is for Garmin devices. I'm not sure how your Tom Tom handles custom POIs.

That would be the issue!..I did check it in Excel and it does show all of them...but as you say, it only shows the closest 50 or so on the Nuvi...who knew?
Thanks so much for the clarification!...

Canada Trip Issues

No issues to report.

--
romanviking

@Johnny Coffee

In the other thread you said you don't have a smartphone. The prepaid provider Consumer Cellular has phones for sale and inexpensive service that is geared toward people who use less data. I do not know if it is available in Canada.

Look at this phone:

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/809/Details

Here is a thread at POI Factory about it:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/47102

dobs108 smile

Cell

dobs108 wrote:

In the other thread you said you don't have a smartphone. The prepaid provider Consumer Cellular has phones for sale and inexpensive service that is geared toward people who use less data. I do not know if it is available in Canada.
Look at this phone:
https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/809/Details
Here is a thread at POI Factory about it:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/47102
dobs108 smile

Canada is one of the most, if not the most expensive places for cellphones.

That is the reasons I get ticked of at Americans when the tell people just to use their cellphone to do this and that.

Consumers Cellular is strictly a USA operation.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, 3790LMT passed on to my daughter. Using Windows 10

$martphone

I must agree that Canadian cell prices and data charges are stupidly expensive compared to the US...had a phone for awhile and now refuse to pay what they demand..it being principle at this point.
Thanks again for all the input.

I disagree

Johnny Coffee wrote:

I must agree that Canadian cell prices and data charges are stupidly expensive compared to the US...had a phone for awhile and now refuse to pay what they demand..it being principle at this point.
Thanks again for all the input.

Sorry, but I must disagree with at least part of your statement. The cell phone charges are not STUPIDLY expensive, they are CALCULATEDLY expensive. Attributing mere stupidity to whoever set and then approved the charges is being way too kind. Maybe greedy and crooked is more appropriate.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Right is right...

plunder wrote:
Johnny Coffee wrote:

I must agree that Canadian cell prices and data charges are stupidly expensive compared to the US...had a phone for awhile and now refuse to pay what they demand..it being principle at this point.
Thanks again for all the input.

Sorry, but I must disagree with at least part of your statement. The cell phone charges are not STUPIDLY expensive, they are CALCULATEDLY expensive. Attributing mere stupidity to whoever set and then approved the charges is being way too kind. Maybe greedy and crooked is more appropriate.

Phil

I stand corrected.
Greedy crooked thieves works for me...

Johnny