Android Tablet

 

I am looking for a new Android tablet. Looking for one with at 10 - 12 inch screen with good speed and good ram and rom and an SD card slot. I also want it to be able to have data, not just Wifi.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) but it is getting old and I want a little bigger and better one.

So far I have found a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 at 9.7 inches.
It looks on reviews to be good.

My questions:
Anyone have experience with the Samsung S2?

Any recommendations for a tablet with screen a 10 to 12 inches.

I am assuming they all can use Google Maps (have gps).??

I always know to come to POI-Factory for all my technical questions.
Thanks everyone that can help.
Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Just a thought

mgarledge wrote:

I am looking for a new Android tablet. Looking for one with at 10 - 12 inch screen with good speed and good ram and rom and an SD card slot. I also want it to be able to have data, not just Wifi.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) but it is getting old and I want a little bigger and better one.

So far I have found a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 at 9.7 inches.
It looks on reviews to be good.

My questions:
Anyone have experience with the Samsung S2?

Any recommendations for a tablet with screen a 10 to 12 inches.

I am assuming they all can use Google Maps (have gps).??

I always know to come to POI-Factory for all my technical questions.
Thanks everyone that can help.
Mary

Mary. Since no one has replied yet I would like to offer another option. I have a Samsung Tablet Galaxy Tab 4 8 inch WiFi only . Based on my use with a Samsung product I don't believe there is anything out there any better then what Samsung offers . Have looked at the S2 and like you posted the reviews are good. I also considered a data plan tablet but decided to do this. Purchased a hot spot device by T Mobile with no contract involved. For long trips We purchase a 30 dollar 3 gb data plan good for 30 days. Short trips a 10 dollar plan for 1 gb for 7 days. There is a 20 dollars plan for 2 gb good for 30 days if you let them automatically take it from a charge card. From FL to VA my wife used it while driving down I95,58 and off roads and it worked well.

On my tablet it does use Google maps. Have it set up with Viago and Here maps for offline.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Or...instead of the hotspot device

If a wifi only tablet doesn't have its own GPS receiver built in, one can get a Bluetooth GPS receiver to give the tablet the GPS data required for navigation apps to work... provided the app of your choice saves full maps to the tablet so as not to need a data connection full time in order to work...

--
*Keith* MacBook Pro *wifi iPad(2012) w/BadElf GPS & iPhone6 + Navigon*

New Android

mgarledge wrote:

I am looking for a new Android tablet. Looking for one with at 10 - 12 inch screen with good speed and good ram and rom and an SD card slot. I also want it to be able to have data, not just Wifi.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) but it is getting old and I want a little bigger and better one.

So far I have found a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 at 9.7 inches.
It looks on reviews to be good.

My questions:
Anyone have experience with the Samsung S2?

Any recommendations for a tablet with screen a 10 to 12 inches.

I am assuming they all can use Google Maps (have gps).??

I always know to come to POI-Factory for all my technical questions.
Thanks everyone that can help.
Mary

Mary,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 - 9.7" and I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve but I think you won't be sorry if you get it. Get the bluetooth keyboard folder with it.
Jack

Thanks Charlesd45

charlesd45 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I am looking for a new Android tablet. Looking for one with at 10 - 12 inch screen with good speed and good ram and rom and an SD card slot. I also want it to be able to have data, not just Wifi.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) but it is getting old and I want a little bigger and better one.

So far I have found a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 at 9.7 inches.
It looks on reviews to be good.

My questions:
Anyone have experience with the Samsung S2?

Any recommendations for a tablet with screen a 10 to 12 inches.

I am assuming they all can use Google Maps (have gps).??

I always know to come to POI-Factory for all my technical questions.
Thanks everyone that can help.
Mary

Mary. Since no one has replied yet I would like to offer another option. I have a Samsung Tablet Galaxy Tab 4 8 inch WiFi only . Based on my use with a Samsung product I don't believe there is anything out there any better then what Samsung offers . Have looked at the S2 and like you posted the reviews are good. I also considered a data plan tablet but decided to do this. Purchased a hot spot device by T Mobile with no contract involved. For long trips We purchase a 30 dollar 3 gb data plan good for 30 days. Short trips a 10 dollar plan for 1 gb for 7 days. There is a 20 dollars plan for 2 gb good for 30 days if you let them automatically take it from a charge card. From FL to VA my wife used it while driving down I95,58 and off roads and it worked well.

On my tablet it does use Google maps. Have it set up with Viago and Here maps for offline.

Thanks, Will look into the hotspot. Although isn't that another item to have to take with me?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Thanks, kch50428

kch50428 wrote:

If a wifi only tablet doesn't have its own GPS receiver built in, one can get a Bluetooth GPS receiver to give the tablet the GPS data required for navigation apps to work... provided the app of your choice saves full maps to the tablet so as not to need a data connection full time in order to work...

I do so want one with a GPS as I use my phone on Bluetooth in the car and am afraid it might interfere. Just not sure how to tell if the tablet has GPS.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I do like Samsung too

jackj180 wrote:

Mary,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 - 9.7" and I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve but I think you won't be sorry if you get it. Get the bluetooth keyboard folder with it.
Jack

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and I do like it very much. Does your Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 have GPS? Do you think the Bluetooth keyboard will interfere with my car and phone using Bluetooth?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Make sure to have GPS

mgarledge wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I am looking for a new Android tablet. Looking for one with at 10 - 12 inch screen with good speed and good ram and rom and an SD card slot. I also want it to be able to have data, not just Wifi.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) but it is getting old and I want a little bigger and better one.

So far I have found a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 at 9.7 inches.
It looks on reviews to be good.

My questions:
Anyone have experience with the Samsung S2?

Any recommendations for a tablet with screen a 10 to 12 inches.

I am assuming they all can use Google Maps (have gps).??

I always know to come to POI-Factory for all my technical questions.
Thanks everyone that can help.
Mary

Mary. Since no one has replied yet I would like to offer another option. I have a Samsung Tablet Galaxy Tab 4 8 inch WiFi only . Based on my use with a Samsung product I don't believe there is anything out there any better then what Samsung offers . Have looked at the S2 and like you posted the reviews are good. I also considered a data plan tablet but decided to do this. Purchased a hot spot device by T Mobile with no contract involved. For long trips We purchase a 30 dollar 3 gb data plan good for 30 days. Short trips a 10 dollar plan for 1 gb for 7 days. There is a 20 dollars plan for 2 gb good for 30 days if you let them automatically take it from a charge card. From FL to VA my wife used it while driving down I95,58 and off roads and it worked well.

On my tablet it does use Google maps. Have it set up with Viago and Here maps for offline.

Thanks, Will look into the hotspot. Although isn't that another item to have to take with me?

Yes it is another item to take. It is the size of a credit card and appx 1/8 inch thick.When travelling in the car or staying at a hotel you can connect up to 8 devices.So no having to share one tablet that has a data connection unless you create a hot spot with it. The specs for a Android tablet should show the GPS feature. One thing I do when looking at a tablet in the store. I check to make sure to look in the settings for a location tab . That gives me enough information to investigate farther about the GPS feature. I would be surprised that the Samsung didn't have the GPS feature.

The Best Buy in my area has a separate location for Samsung devices with a representative to help you. You may want to spend some time there to get all the info you want to know. They match prices so if cheaper on line. Take the prof with you.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks

charlesd45 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I am looking for a new Android tablet. Looking for one with at 10 - 12 inch screen with good speed and good ram and rom and an SD card slot. I also want it to be able to have data, not just Wifi.

I have the Nexus 7 (2012) but it is getting old and I want a little bigger and better one.

So far I have found a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 at 9.7 inches.
It looks on reviews to be good.

My questions:
Anyone have experience with the Samsung S2?

Any recommendations for a tablet with screen a 10 to 12 inches.

I am assuming they all can use Google Maps (have gps).??

I always know to come to POI-Factory for all my technical questions.
Thanks everyone that can help.
Mary

Mary. Since no one has replied yet I would like to offer another option. I have a Samsung Tablet Galaxy Tab 4 8 inch WiFi only . Based on my use with a Samsung product I don't believe there is anything out there any better then what Samsung offers . Have looked at the S2 and like you posted the reviews are good. I also considered a data plan tablet but decided to do this. Purchased a hot spot device by T Mobile with no contract involved. For long trips We purchase a 30 dollar 3 gb data plan good for 30 days. Short trips a 10 dollar plan for 1 gb for 7 days. There is a 20 dollars plan for 2 gb good for 30 days if you let them automatically take it from a charge card. From FL to VA my wife used it while driving down I95,58 and off roads and it worked well.

On my tablet it does use Google maps. Have it set up with Viago and Here maps for offline.

Thanks, Will look into the hotspot. Although isn't that another item to have to take with me?

Yes it is another item to take. It is the size of a credit card and appx 1/8 inch thick.When travelling in the car or staying at a hotel you can connect up to 8 devices.So no having to share one tablet that has a data connection unless you create a hot spot with it. The specs for a Android tablet should show the GPS feature. One thing I do when looking at a tablet in the store. I check to make sure to look in the settings for a location tab . That gives me enough information to investigate farther about the GPS feature. I would be surprised that the Samsung didn't have the GPS feature.

The Best Buy in my area has a separate location for Samsung devices with a representative to help you. You may want to spend some time there to get all the info you want to know. They match prices so if cheaper on line. Take the prof with you.

I will go to Best Buy. That is where I have been looking on line. Good to know they have a Samsung section.
Thanks, Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

GPS

mgarledge wrote:
jackj180 wrote:

Mary,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 - 9.7" and I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve but I think you won't be sorry if you get it. Get the bluetooth keyboard folder with it.
Jack

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and I do like it very much. Does your Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 have GPS? Do you think the Bluetooth keyboard will interfere with my car and phone using Bluetooth?

Yes it does have GPS. It has Google maps and displays your current position without needing an Internet connection, either WiFi or Cell. It will give directions to a programmable destination like my Garmin does but I haven't really used it yet.

If I'm using the tablet to play audio book through a bluetooth device then I have to turn the keyboard off or the audio cuts out so I would think that it will interfere with your car and phone use. But it does have an off switch.

Thanks, looks like just what I want

jackj180 wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
jackj180 wrote:

Mary,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 - 9.7" and I like it. There is a bit of a learning curve but I think you won't be sorry if you get it. Get the bluetooth keyboard folder with it.
Jack

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and I do like it very much. Does your Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 have GPS? Do you think the Bluetooth keyboard will interfere with my car and phone using Bluetooth?

Yes it does have GPS. It has Google maps and displays your current position without needing an Internet connection, either WiFi or Cell. It will give directions to a programmable destination like my Garmin does but I haven't really used it yet.

If I'm using the tablet to play audio book through a bluetooth device then I have to turn the keyboard off or the audio cuts out so I would think that it will interfere with your car and phone use. But it does have an off switch.

Thanks, this is just what I want, I think. Will see what I find out from Best Buy the next time I get to go to Fort Worth.
Thanks for all your help, Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Samsung 10.1

I have a Samsung 10.1 and it has WIFI. It has a good size screen.
I have used it in my car.
As long as I have a good signal (most providers have a deal with other
providers to use their WIFI) I have Brighthouse in Florida and Optimum in NY. It works great (there are some places you will not get a signal)
If you want a tablet, Verizon has a plan that comes with a Samsung 10.1 tablet. As long as your phone works the tablet works.

--
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

Does the Samsung 10.1 come with 4g?

Timantide wrote:

I have a Samsung 10.1 and it has WIFI. It has a good size screen.
I have used it in my car.
As long as I have a good signal (most providers have a deal with other
providers to use their WIFI) I have Brighthouse in Florida and Optimum in NY. It works great (there are some places you will not get a signal)
If you want a tablet, Verizon has a plan that comes with a Samsung 10.1 tablet. As long as your phone works the tablet works.

Can you get a data package with it or is it only Wifi?
I will surf and see if I can find the 10.1. I do like Samsung and am looking at each of them. Thanks

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Verizon tablet

As far as I know you get a data package with it.
Every time I go to their store they try to sell me one with a data package.
I already have their LG4G phone with a data package.

--
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

Battery

Timantide wrote:

As far as I know you get a data package with it.
Every time I go to their store they try to sell me one with a data package.
I already have their LG4G phone with a data package.

Can you replace the battery? I see you can't on the S2.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Verizon tablet

If I were you, I would call or go to Verizon and talk to them.
You can see the tablets and ask about any questions you may have.
Good luck

--
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

Thanks.

Timantide wrote:

If I were you, I would call or go to Verizon and talk to them.
You can see the tablets and ask about any questions you may have.
Good luck

I am going to Best Buy tomorrow to talk to them. I will go by AT&T too as that is who my phone is with. Thanks for the idea.

I noticed the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 battery is not user friendly to remove. It seems like I go through two or three batteries before I buy a new unit of any kind so this may or may not be a deal breaker, depending on how much I like the unit. I am comfortable with removing cables and such from inside of things (I have worked on my grand sons Kindle) but I would rather have a battery like my Note 4 that all you have to do is remove the back to replace it. Will have to compare what tablets have removable batteries with the Tab S2 to see how they compare.

Thanks for your help. Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Went to town and looked at Tablets today

I went to Best Buy today.
So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is my favorite.
The Samsung Man said to not pay the extra $200 for the mobile device. Just use my phone as a hot spot. (someone here suggested that also)

I found out that Samsung is fixing to release the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 in September. I am going to wait until then to see if it is any better than the S2 and if it is about the same price. Even if it's a little more it may be better to get the newer device. The salesman also said when the S3 is released the S2 will go down. So when my husband heard that he said wait. He is right (this time) and I will wait till September and look at the S3 also.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I am watching what you do..

mgarledge wrote:

I went to Best Buy today.
So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is my favorite.
The Samsung Man said to not pay the extra $200 for the mobile device. Just use my phone as a hot spot. (someone here suggested that also)

I found out that Samsung is fixing to release the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 in September. I am going to wait until then to see if it is any better than the S2 and if it is about the same price. Even if it's a little more it may be better to get the newer device. The salesman also said when the S3 is released the S2 will go down. So when my husband heard that he said wait. He is right (this time) and I will wait till September and look at the S3 also.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Mary

My Daughters Ipad Screen broke big time, Now it cant even be charged. So I am too on a lookout for a tablet (should it be a Ipad or android) not sure yet. I do not need the Data service since I have Verizon and we can use our phone and turn it into a Hot Spot when needed.

Her main use for the ipad is for commutation device (she has a disability whit Downs Syndrome) . But she also uses it to listen to her songs and even watches YouTube as well as plays games. Most of the stuff on the ipad can get with android so the OS is no big thing (Nope - did not pay for any apps on ipad)

So Let us know what your planning so that we can look into going that direction too.

(PS - the communication software that we get can be used for both, ipad and Android)

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

good move

mgarledge wrote:

I went to Best Buy today.
So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is my favorite.
The Samsung Man said to not pay the extra $200 for the mobile device. Just use my phone as a hot spot. (someone here suggested that also)

I found out that Samsung is fixing to release the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 in September. I am going to wait until then to see if it is any better than the S2 and if it is about the same price. Even if it's a little more it may be better to get the newer device. The salesman also said when the S3 is released the S2 will go down. So when my husband heard that he said wait. He is right (this time) and I will wait till September and look at the S3 also.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Mary

I read the Samsung is not going to give the tablet Galaxy S an upgrade to Marshmallow, if you look at the list of tablet devices that Samsung has only a few are scheduled to be upgraded to marshmallow.

I'm on my second Samsung tablet, the first one warped so much the touch screen would not work, was not very old at the time, was a really good one, not sure there will be a third, seem Samsung is leaving a lot of orphans in it's wake.

What software do you have?

bobkz wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I went to Best Buy today.
So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is my favorite.
The Samsung Man said to not pay the extra $200 for the mobile device. Just use my phone as a hot spot. (someone here suggested that also)

I found out that Samsung is fixing to release the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 in September. I am going to wait until then to see if it is any better than the S2 and if it is about the same price. Even if it's a little more it may be better to get the newer device. The salesman also said when the S3 is released the S2 will go down. So when my husband heard that he said wait. He is right (this time) and I will wait till September and look at the S3 also.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Mary

My Daughters Ipad Screen broke big time, Now it cant even be charged. So I am too on a lookout for a tablet (should it be a Ipad or android) not sure yet. I do not need the Data service since I have Verizon and we can use our phone and turn it into a Hot Spot when needed.

Her main use for the ipad is for commutation device (she has a disability whit Downs Syndrome) . But she also uses it to listen to her songs and even watches YouTube as well as plays games. Most of the stuff on the ipad can get with android so the OS is no big thing (Nope - did not pay for any apps on ipad)

So Let us know what your planning so that we can look into going that direction too.

(PS - the communication software that we get can be used for both, ipad and Android)

My daughter's 10 year old has Down Syndrome. She bought her an iPad mini to play games on. My daughter would like to buy education software for her as she does not speak more than a few words. What is the name of the communication software?

I like android and she likes apple as that is what our other items are. I will keep updating what i decide what i get. I also like android as the price is better than iPad.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

android is more for the money

No doubt that Android is more for the money, but if the software is only available for Ipad, got to go that way.

dobs108 smile

Software for communications on Devices...

mgarledge wrote:
bobkz wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is my favorite.

My daughter's 10 year old has Down Syndrome. She bought her an iPad mini to play games on. My daughter would like to buy education software for her as she does not speak more than a few words. What is the name of the communication software?

I like android and she likes apple as that is what our other items are. I will keep updating what i decide what i get. I also like android as the price is better than iPad.

The software is given to her from her school.. I will look into it to see who makes it. I believe it is called touchchat but not sure.

I will let you know when I can review the software again. I do know that Apple has much better selection than Android does but they are much more expensive too.

Not sure which way to go..

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

My daughter is looking into it too

bobkz wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
bobkz wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

So far the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is my favorite.

My daughter's 10 year old has Down Syndrome. She bought her an iPad mini to play games on. My daughter would like to buy education software for her as she does not speak more than a few words. What is the name of the communication software?

I like android and she likes apple as that is what our other items are. I will keep updating what i decide what i get. I also like android as the price is better than iPad.

The software is given to her from her school.. I will look into it to see who makes it. I believe it is called touchchat but not sure.

I will let you know when I can review the software again. I do know that Apple has much better selection than Android does but they are much more expensive too.

Not sure which way to go..

My daughter is going to see if the school has any software they can give her as she already has her own Ipad. Out school, and a lot of other schools, go Apple. Everyone in grade 7 - 12 is issued an Ipad in our district. I have heard there is a lot more educational software for the Apple. I think my daughter told me that. She is going to mention the communication software and see what they can do for her daughter. I don't think our school system is up to date as our grand daughter can't talk much and they asked my daughter if they could drop her from speech. Of course my daughter said no. I would think someone who has trouble with speech should be the main one to keep in speech. Hopefully then will have the software and that will help.

Thanks for any information on the software you can give me.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Samsung 9.7

Mary, I have a Samsung 9.7 (not the S2). I used it on a trip this month, utilising Mapfactor (free on internet) as GPS software. It works on line and off line. For 7 years I had Streets and Trips (probably the best of all) but they no longer support the software. From now on, the Tablet and Mapfactor are my best tool for planning trips. At 9.7 inches, the screen is big enough.
Pierre

Hot Spot

I totally agree with the person who said to just use your phone's hot spot. There is no need to pay for an additional device and lug it around. I use my phone's hot spot for my tablet and even for a laptop when traveling. It works quite well.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

Thanks

Pierre wrote:

Mary, I have a Samsung 9.7 (not the S2). I used it on a trip this month, utilising Mapfactor (free on internet) as GPS software. It works on line and off line. For 7 years I had Streets and Trips (probably the best of all) but they no longer support the software. From now on, the Tablet and Mapfactor are my best tool for planning trips. At 9.7 inches, the screen is big enough.
Pierre

Sounds great. How does Malefactor compare to Google Maps,?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Thanks

thrak wrote:

I totally agree with the person who said to just use your phone's hot spot. There is no need to pay for an additional device and lug it around. I use my phone's hot spot for my tablet and even for a laptop when traveling. It works quite well.

Glad to know it will work nicely. I will save my money and use my phone as a hotspot.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

The first Gen Samsung Galaxy Tab S WiFi & LTE

Actually they are getting Marshmallow and it's been rolling out for the past two weeks.

The SM-T805's were the first ones followed by the SM-T705, SM-T700 and just today started with the remaining SM-T800's. I'm just waiting for the XAR region release and I'll be on MM. Yeah!

--
nüvi 3590LMT / ecoRouteHD

Yep.. Software is called...

mgarledge wrote:

My daughter's 10 year old has Down Syndrome. She bought her an iPad mini to play games on. My daughter would like to buy education software for her as she does not speak more than a few words. What is the name of the communication software?

I like android and she likes apple as that is what our other items are. I will keep updating what i decide what i get. I also like android as the price is better than iPad.

My daughter is going to see if the school has any software they can give her as she already has her own Ipad. Out school, and a lot of other schools, go Apple. Everyone in grade 7 - 12 is issued an Ipad in our district. I have heard there is a lot more educational software for the Apple. I think my daughter told me that. She is going to mention the communication software and see what they can do for her daughter. I don't think our school system is up to date as our grand daughter can't talk much and they asked my daughter if they could drop her from speech. Of course my daughter said no. I would think someone who has trouble with speech should be the main one to keep in speech. Hopefully then will have the software and that will help.

Thanks for any information on the software you can give me.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Been very busy.. OK, The software that the school is using is called "TouchChat HD - AAC" It is made for Apple's Ipad and such.

I am not sure if it is for Android but I know of other software like it. Just go to Google Play and search for AAC or something along those lines. If I find anything for Android, I will inform you here.

EDIT:

I found a lot for the Android, here are only a few and there websites:

AAC speech communicator (Free/Donation Based - aacspeech.org)

Alexicom AAC for Android (Subscription Based -
www.alexicomtech.com)

JabTalk (Free/Donation Based - www.jabstone.com)

Aac Talking Tabs (free or Donation Key for $4.85 - www.aactalkingtabs.com)

LetMeTalk (Free/Donation Based - www.letmetalk.info)

There were more but these look promising! need to try them to find the best one.

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

Thanks, I emailed this to my daughter

bobkz wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

My daughter's 10 year old has Down Syndrome. She bought her an iPad mini to play games on. My daughter would like to buy education software for her as she does not speak more than a few words. What is the name of the communication software?

I like android and she likes apple as that is what our other items are. I will keep updating what i decide what i get. I also like android as the price is better than iPad.

My daughter is going to see if the school has any software they can give her as she already has her own Ipad. Out school, and a lot of other schools, go Apple. Everyone in grade 7 - 12 is issued an Ipad in our district. I have heard there is a lot more educational software for the Apple. I think my daughter told me that. She is going to mention the communication software and see what they can do for her daughter. I don't think our school system is up to date as our grand daughter can't talk much and they asked my daughter if they could drop her from speech. Of course my daughter said no. I would think someone who has trouble with speech should be the main one to keep in speech. Hopefully then will have the software and that will help.

Thanks for any information on the software you can give me.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Been very busy.. OK, The software that the school is using is called "TouchChat HD - AAC" It is made for Apple's Ipad and such.

I am not sure if it is for Android but I know of other software like it. Just go to Google Play and search for AAC or something along those lines. If I find anything for Android, I will inform you here.

EDIT:

I found a lot for the Android, here are only a few and there websites:

AAC speech communicator (Free/Donation Based - aacspeech.org)

Alexicom AAC for Android (Subscription Based -
www.alexicomtech.com)

JabTalk (Free/Donation Based - www.jabstone.com)

Aac Talking Tabs (free or Donation Key for $4.85 - www.aactalkingtabs.com)

LetMeTalk (Free/Donation Based - www.letmetalk.info)

There were more but these look promising! need to try them to find the best one.

Thanks for the help. I emailed this to my daughter. She said her daughter has an Ipad so that will work great. She will ask for it in the next ARD.
Thanks again, Mary

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Partial decision

I had decided to wait and buy the new Samsung Galaxy S3 when it came out. Rumor had it to be Sept. 1. But for some reason they have come out with another tablet A2.
I was at SamsClub yesterday and saw the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2016. It is not as high end as the S3 but the price was right. $249 which included a 35GB mini SD card.

OK I pitch this and it worked. I would get the cheaper Tab A for now and when the S3 comes out I will give my husband the Tab A and get the the high end tablet. "It worked". We bought the Tab A and to my suprise it is great. It does everything I need and is fast. Will have to see how I feel when the new Tab S3 comes out. May get me the new and cheaper Tab A2 instead.

The Tab A I just got is 10.1 inches and just the correct size. I do like it. I now have a case and screen protector ordered from Amazon.

The statements in this post helped me decide on the more reasonable priced one.Thanks so much everyone for all your help.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Interesting thread

mgarledge wrote:

I had decided to wait and buy the new Samsung Galaxy S3 when it came out. Rumor had it to be Sept. 1. But for some reason they have come out with another tablet A2.

I was at SamsClub yesterday and saw the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2016. It is not as high end as the S3 but the price was right. $249 which included a 35GB mini SD card.

We bought the Tab A and to my suprise it is great. It does everything I need and is fast. Will have to see how I feel when the new Tab S3 comes out. May get me the new and cheaper Tab A2 instead.

I have been considering replacing my Nexus 7 (orignal version), so this thread has been quite interesting. It sounds like I need to take a look at the A2 and S3.

To pick a nit, I think that your statement about inclusion of a 35 GB card is a typo, and it is actually a 32 GB card. (Not that it really matters.)

- Tom -

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535, GO 620

Funny but

-et- wrote:

To pick a nit, I think that your statement about inclusion of a 35 GB card is a typo, and it is actually a 32 GB card. (Not that it really matters.)

- Tom -

I was so sure it was a 35 GB card that I turned my tablet off and took it out to see.
So, as my husband always tells me, I am never corredt and he is 99% correct. It is 32 GB as you said.
My husband is usually 99% correct but I tell him he is only 70% correct.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I cheated

mgarledge wrote:
-et- wrote:

To pick a nit, I think that your statement about inclusion of a 35 GB card is a typo, and it is actually a 32 GB card. (Not that it really matters.)

- Tom -

I was so sure it was a 35 GB card that I turned my tablet off and took it out to see.
So, as my husband always tells me, I am never correct and he is 99% correct. It is 32 GB as you said.
My husband is usually 99% correct but I tell him he is only 70% correct.

I cheated. The reason that I made the above statement is that for technical reasons, memory cards will normally be manufactured with capacities of 2 raised to a power. (2 squared = 4, 2 cubed = 8, 2 to the 4th power = 16, 2 to the 5th power -= 32, etc.) In addition, when I looked at the numeric keypad, the "5" is right above the "2".

Both facts, especially in combination, said that you had probably typed a "5" when intending to type a "2".

As I said originally, this is not really of any importance, but I have always been an AR Grammar Nazi when it comes to proofreading.

- Tom -

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535, GO 620

I skip over words a lot

-et- wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
-et- wrote:

To pick a nit, I think that your statement about inclusion of a 35 GB card is a typo, and it is actually a 32 GB card. (Not that it really matters.)

- Tom -

I was so sure it was a 35 GB card that I turned my tablet off and took it out to see.
So, as my husband always tells me, I am never correct and he is 99% correct. It is 32 GB as you said.
My husband is usually 99% correct but I tell him he is only 70% correct.

I cheated. The reason that I made the above statement is that for technical reasons, memory cards will normally be manufactured with capacities of 2 raised to a power. (2 squared = 4, 2 cubed = 8, 2 to the 4th power = 16, 2 to the 5th power -= 32, etc.) In addition, when I looked at the numeric keypad, the "5" is right above the "2".

Both facts, especially in combination, said that you had probably typed a "5" when intending to type a "2".

As I said originally, this is not really of any importance, but I have always been an AR Grammar Nazi when it comes to proofreading.

- Tom -

You would love some of my text to my kids then. I skip over letters when proof reading . grin

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

My Wife just purchased..

A Samsung Tab A (10.1) and looks good actually. We had a Older IPad that broke at the bottom by the plug and the screen started to just peel off the frame.

To much for a IPAD but found a good deal with the Tab A. With my daughter, we can still use the software to help her communicate and its cheaper than the Ipad one.

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

samsung

announced 3 new tables, the s3 and 2 running windows 10

I have been watching the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3

It will be out soon and has everything I want.
The only problem...
I bought the 10 inch Galaxy Tab A for my husband and have been using it. It is a great tablet. It doesn't have mobile but the suggestion here to use my phone as a hot spot works great. I see that is is a little large for me to put in my purse when I am on a trip so I am looking for an 8"

Now for the S3. It is high end and just what I want. The only problem is they are only going to make the S3 in a 9.7 inch. I think that is too big for what I want. I am still looking for an 8 inch tablet. The only only one I can find that is 8" that I like so far is the Tab A like my husbands. I keep waiting to see if the S3 is going to make one but they keep saying no... My anniversary is later this month and a tablet is what I was going to ask for but I need to find what I want first. I can't make up my mind to get the better S3 in the large size or the Tab A in the smaller size. The Smaller Tab A does not have the same specks as the larger Tab A smaller battery, smaller memory and things like that. Just not sure what I am going to do.

Does anyone here have a Tab A in the 8 inch?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Well I am very spoiled by my husband

My husband bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 inch for me. I love it. I am gitting to use it a couple of days only to make sure I like it but then I have to let him wrap it. It is my 53rd anniversary present and I can't open it till the 21st. The reason, when I get something early I always talk him into getting something else on the day. grin Like I said I am spoiled rotten.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)