Forced to Windows 10

 

Well, I have had two computers - on their own - start the process of updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I found my home desktop just beginning the process and was able to kill it and have it revert to Win 7.

One of the computers in our Television Ministry at church actually finished the update and was asking for us to accept the Terms. We pressed "Decline" and it let us revert to Win 7.

SO - what I did was install a utility recommended by Leo Notenboom, a computer guru that I follow.

https://askleo.com/block-windows-10-wi

In this link, Leo explains how to install and use the utility.

Now Win 10 may be a great system, and I may at some time embrace it, but I want to do it on my terms. So I installed this utility that Leo recommended.

1 2 3
<<Page 4>>

scam

most of the calls I got from "Microsoft about a virus " had a person with a very bad accent Indian or Pakistani! at first I would ask which of my computers is infected my XP my windows 7 or my windows 10 computer they said it didn't make a difference it was infected and the would tell me to go to a web page . I would tell them my virus program wouldn't let me go to it it was infected "keeping them on the hook playing with them lol"
but if you want to get rid of them fast tell them you don't have a Microsoft computer you have an apple computer and they will hang up on you !
P.S. Microsoft never calls you to tell you "you have a virus" they wouldn't know even if you had one !!
if you suspect that you do have a virus I believe MacAfee or Kaspersky offer free online scans to check your computer .

Have tried I don't have a computer

BarneyBadass wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I have always received the call saying he was from Windows and that I had a virus on my computer but today's call was different.
The actually left a message with a call back number on my answering machine saying
"This is Microsoft and your license to your Microsoft Software has expired. It is very important you call us back"

Wonder how many people will call back because of the timing of the end of upgrading free to the new Windows 10 software.

Drum roll please...

I DONT HAVE A COMPUTER!

I tried don't have a computer and the man said yes "Mary" you do.....
I did not tell him my name, they have all the information.
I tell them I work at office and ask them what office they work in, I say I sold my Windows PC and bought an Apple. I have tried everything. They keep calling with different phone numbers. The last two times when I hear the voice of the man that calls the most I say "O, hello, I recognice your voice, you are the man who helped me with my computer." He then hangs up without a word.

I block each number they call from but they just change it.

I am finding that more and more (even real calls) are calling people on the Do Not Call List. Apparently the Do Not Call List means nothing anymore as people can make their number look like anything they want. I am fighting a loosing battle.

OK--- I did enough ranting - Back to Windows 10.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

I have deleted the program but I did try compatibility

Juggernaut wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I must have done something incorrectly. Will try again. Thanks

Try this first. Find the program .exe in the folder, right click, choose properties, and choose Compatibility. Pick the last OS in ran correctly with. If it still doesn't work, choose the one before that.

I've done this with a few old progs. smile

It runs on Windows 7 and I picked that then I tried all the others, nothing worked. May have loaded incorrectly. Been busy with company and haven't tried to reinstall it. Will try all again when I get to re install it.Thanks....

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Do they call back?

koot wrote:
BarneyBadass wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

I have always received the call saying he was from Windows and that I had a virus on my computer but today's call was different.
The actually left a message with a call back number on my answering machine saying
"This is Microsoft and your license to your Microsoft Software has expired. It is very important you call us back"

Wonder how many people will call back because of the timing of the end of upgrading free to the new Windows 10 software.

Drum roll please...

I DONT HAVE A COMPUTER!

When I receive those scam calls (saying they are with Microsoft) I usually say; "My wife takes care of the computers - please hold on and I'll get her." Then, I mute the phone and put it on Speaker to see how long he'll wait, and what he says, before he hangs up. After awhile the scam artist realizes he's been bamboozled and hangs up.

Do they call back?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

That is correct

pwohlrab wrote:

If I remove the win 7 hard drive from my computer (to safe guard it)and put another clean hard drive in it I can do a clean install of win 10 since I have my win 7 key?
This safe guards my win 7 OS and allows me to start fresh. Of course I need to reinstall my programs I use and move any data if i like win 10.

That is correct.

All you need is your Windows 7 Product Key (that your computer is currently assigned for the Windows 7 Operating System it is using) to be able to get a free download of Windows 10 to do a clean install on that same computer. (The factory-installed OEM copy of Windows 7, say for example from Dell or HP, is permanently tied to the first computer that it was activated on, and can never be activated on any other computer afterwards. The motherboard serial number is one of many items that is referenced when used to determine which particular computer a legitimate Windows 7 OS is on.)

Let's say, for example, that your computer's current hard drive failed and needed to be replaced. Your Windows 7 Product Key would allow you to have Windows 7 to be reinstalled (at no-charge for Windows 7) on the brand new hard drive you install in this computer, right? Well, what you are wanting to do (replace that computer's hard drive with a new hard drive) is the same situation except instead of installing the same Windows 7 OS on the new hard drive for your computer, Microsoft is allowing you to have their new Windows 10 OS to be installed on the computer at no-charge until the deadline of July 29.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

New Business Model

jfossy wrote:

Just remember July 29 is the deadline for the free upgrade. After that it will stop bugging you to upgrade.

I understand that the reason has to do with a shift in Microsoft's business model. They want you to upgrade so they can track your usage and and offer to sell you stuff based on what they think you might want.

Conspiracy Theories Abound

beagle.fan wrote:
jfossy wrote:

Just remember July 29 is the deadline for the free upgrade. After that it will stop bugging you to upgrade.

I understand that the reason has to do with a shift in Microsoft's business model. They want you to upgrade so they can track your usage and and offer to sell you stuff based on what they think you might want.

Just another conspiracy theory to add to the list. Possibly true, maybe not - much like all the others...

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

No such thing as a free ride

MS is monetizing this somehow ... data-harvesting would be my guess.

Exactly

Corporations don't do anything out of the good of their heart. Cash is flowing to them in one way, or another.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

The no longer offer MS Office free

Juggernaut wrote:

Corporations don't do anything out of the good of their heart. Cash is flowing to them in one way, or another.

Because of MS no longer offering Office free I had to buy the software for my Windows 10 Notebook. I am only allowed to put it on one of my home computers. Even though I paid for the software I can't use it upstairs as it is on the downstairs computer. (unfair that we can't use it on all our computers)

I tried their free "Word and Excel" Apps but they did not do what I needed them to do.

I still have the free version of Office on my Windows 7 PC but I don't use that anymore. It is my husband and grand kids and photo PC..

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Microsoft's New Strategy to Make Money Giving Away Software

beagle.fan wrote:

I understand that the reason has to do with a shift in Microsoft's business model. They want you to upgrade so they can track your usage and and offer to sell you stuff based on what they think you might want.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&e...

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Windows 10 'Defender' Built-in Antivirus Protection

mgarledge wrote:

Because of MS no longer offering Office free I had to buy the software for my Windows 10 Notebook. I am only allowed to put it on one of my home computers. Even though I paid for the software I can't use it upstairs as it is on the downstairs computer. (unfair that we can't use it on all our computers)

I tried their free "Word and Excel" Apps but they did not do what I needed them to do.

I still have the free version of Office on my Windows 7 PC but I don't use that anymore. It is my husband and grand kids and photo PC..

One nice thing about Windows 10 is that it has the built-in 'Defender' antivirus protection, so no longer do Windows 10 users need to deal with adding antivirus protection to their computers. If you have been buying top-rated antivirus protection, then that is money that will be saved.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

I dunno.... But PC MAG SAYS...

koot wrote:

One nice thing about Windows 10 is that it has the built-in 'Defender' antivirus protection, so no longer do Windows 10 users need to deal with adding antivirus protection to their computers. If you have been buying top-rated antivirus protection, then that is money that will be saved.

According to PC Mag

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1926596,00.asp

"
PROS

Comes with Windows 8 and Windows 10. Improved scores in tests by independent labs. Very good score in our antiphishing test.

CONS

Poor score in our hands-on malware blocking test. So-so score in our malicious URL blocking test.

BOTTOM LINE

If you have Windows 8 or Windows 10, Microsoft's Windows Defender is ready and waiting to protect you against malware. However, our tests show that you're better off with a free add-on antivirus solution."

I dunno, I think I'd get something other n' Windows Defender, but that's just me.

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

It's really to bad...

that Microsoft is being so aggressive.

yup

BarneyBadass wrote:

I dunno, I think I'd get something other n' Windows Defender, but that's just me.

I added SUPERAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes, (both the paid version) between the three I never have any problems.

Prior to Windows 10 had Microsoft Security Essentials in place of Defender never had any problems then either, and my roaming in cyberland can put these things to the test.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

W 10

I also posted this in another thread here on POIfactory

I've gotten to like W 10, but I hate the "EDGE" browser.
It pops up when I do not want it and takes over from Mozilla Firefox which is my browser of choice.

See this Google website to at least disable "Edge" from popping up.

https://www.google.ca/#q=remove+edge+browser

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

The only time my Windows 10 engages the Edge browser

Melaqueman wrote:

I also posted this in another thread here on POIfactory

I've gotten to like W 10, but I hate the "EDGE" browser.
It pops up when I do not want it and takes over from Mozilla Firefox which is my browser of choice.

See this Google website to at least disable "Edge" from popping up.

https://www.google.ca/#q=remove+edge+browser

The only time my Windows 10 engages the Edge browser is if I use Cortana and select to 'Search the Web', then it searches the web with the Edge browser. My default browser is Chrome, which I've used for years and really like.

Funny thing is, with Windows 10 I have the following three browsers:
My chosen default browser: Google Chrome
Windows 10 browser: Edge
Windows 10 browser: Internet Explorer 11

Personally, I haven't used Microsoft's Internet Explorer browsers in years (except to obtain computer updates), because I didn't like it.

I don't foresee me using the Edge browser except when I search for something using Cortana and I select to search the Web. I would typically use Google Search (my default search engine) to search the Web.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Seems Like....

MS is once again starting to push the upgrade to Windows 10 stuff again.

For the past several weeks, I've had updates on my win 7system disabled from checking for updates.

Today, I was abusing my system and all of a sudden my network activity went crazy.

After digging around a while I discovered updates had been turned back on and the system was busily downloading patches and I'll guess the Windows 10 installer again.

So beware,

There's something strange
goin' on in your neighborhood
Who you gonna call?
PatchBusters!

If there's something weird
And it don't look good
Who you gonna call
PatchBusters!

I ain't afraid of no patch
I ain't afraid of no MS patch

If you're seeing things
Running through your system
Who can you call
PatchBusters!

An invisible man
Sleeping on your drive
Oh, who you gonna call
PatchBusters!

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

A few days after Microsoft

A few days after Microsoft released Windows 10 to the public last year, Teri Goldstein’s computer started trying to download and install the new operating system.

The update, which she says she didn’t authorize, failed. Instead, the computer she uses to run her Sausalito, Calif., travel-agency business slowed to a crawl. It would crash, she says, and be unusable for days at a time.

“I had never heard of Windows 10,” Goldstein said. “Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update.”

When outreach to Microsoft’s customer support didn’t fix the issue, Goldstein took the software giant to court, seeking compensation for lost wages and the cost of a new computer.

She won. Last month, Microsoft dropped an appeal and Goldstein collected a $10,000 judgment from the company.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/microsoft/microsoft-dra...

I read this

Maybe that will help. I am afraid to check for updates on my Windows 7 this close to the end date. I check what each update is for but have noticed that some have a round about way of not stating they are to get your computer ready for Windows 10. Hopefully when the end date for the free update ends I can go back to letting it update automatically.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Good One!

chewbacca wrote:

...Teri Goldstein’s computer started trying to download and install the new operating system...

That's a good one, chewbacca!

We are in the middle of using our computers every day and we absolutely rely on them. To have an unwanted update begin without warning is a serious error on the part of Microsoft, and they should pay bigtime!

dobs108 smile

Not running GWX control panel?

BarneyBadass wrote:

...I discovered updates had been turned back on and the system was busily downloading patches and I'll guess the Windows 10 installer again...

Barney, did you just change the settings for Windows Update or are you running GWX Control Panel or some other program to stop the Windows 10 update?

dobs108 smile

Microsoft sued

Microsoft has to pay a woman for autoupgrading to Win10. Details at : http://bgr.com/2016/06/27/windows-10-upgrade-lawsuit-settlem...

smile

--
ChefDon

I Didn't Change Nothing

dobs108 wrote:
BarneyBadass wrote:

...I discovered updates had been turned back on and the system was busily downloading patches and I'll guess the Windows 10 installer again...

Barney, did you just change the settings for Windows Update or are you running GWX Control Panel or some other program to stop the Windows 10 update?

dobs108 smile

Nope, I didn't change my settings.

My settings Have been marked as do not check (not recommended) for about the last 45-60 days.

Yet when I went and checked my settings they had been mysteriously been reset to automatically install.

I dunno.. Like I said,
Somethin' strange goin' on in the neighborhood!

I certainly didn't understand... Nor can I explain and I live alone, no one touches my machine but me...

Well except for one of my other 5 personalities! razz

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

My latest discovery

I have my Windows update as "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". I also have the GWX Control Panel which has thus far worked perfectly.

A few weeks ago I noticed high CPU Usage (50% + at all times) which I had never previously encountered. I googled the problem, looked here and there and finally discoverd it was the Windows Update Program in Services (Local) the culprit. I changed the startup from automatic to manual and bingo the problem is solved.

All that being said, I certainly hope all this harassement stops once and for all next month mad

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Windows Update and CPU usage

canuk wrote:

I have my Windows update as "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". I also have the GWX Control Panel which has thus far worked perfectly.

A few weeks ago I noticed high CPU Usage (50% + at all times) which I had never previously encountered. I googled the problem, looked here and there and finally discoverd it was the Windows Update Program in Services (Local) the culprit. I changed the startup from automatic to manual and bingo the problem is solved.

All that being said, I certainly hope all this harassement stops once and for all next month mad

I had a similar problem that started a couple months ago. My laptop cooling fan would kick into high, even when the laptop was idle. The Task Manager showed the CPU was really busy but did not reveal which task or service was responsible. It took a lot of searching and research to reveal that it was Windows Update that had sort of 'hung' and was making the CPU really busy.

When I ran the Windows Update, it showed around 100 updates and patches for Win7 and the Office components. I let it update everything and then turned off the Windows Update service altogether in the control panel. I turn it on once a week or so to see if there have been any updates for my Win7 or Office software, but leave it turned off otherwise. My laptop is now back to running cool and quiet again. Oddly enough, even with Windows Update turned off, they still manage to nag me once or twice a week about upgrading to Win 10.

Windows 10 deadline

as the expiration date for the free download is soon approaching, I am wondering if I should download it on my old laptop or continue with Windows 7. what are the pros and cons? Thanks.

just saw a news blurp

I just saw a news blurp where a woman had received a $10,000 settlement from Microsoft because of the forced update to W10.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Something forced on you no

Something forced on you no matter what is is cann't be good for you.

Win 10 decision

bsp131 wrote:

as the expiration date for the free download is soon approaching, I am wondering if I should download it on my old laptop or continue with Windows 7. what are the pros and cons? Thanks.

I have Win 7 Pro on my laptop, so if I don't take the free upgrade, I'd have to pay $199 later on to get Win 10 Pro.

I upgraded a desktop to Win 10 that is rarely used and functions mostly as a print and file server for the house. I figured I could familiarize myself with Win 10 on a non-critical system. So far, I don't see anything in Windows 10 that makes me want to get it on my workhorse laptop, too. Win 10 is different, but I don't see anything 'new' that I would use or benefit from. To me, the most noticeable 'new stuff' with Windows 10 is the Cortana stuff, and I have all that shut off because of the security concerns. I can't find anything else that makes me say, "Well, that's kinda cool. I wish my laptop could do that."

I think I'll just take a pass on upgrading my laptop. At some point in the next year or two, I'll probably have to upgrade to a new laptop and it will come with Win 10 instead of 7 by then. I'm not in any hurry now. Show me something cool and I might change my mind. But I haven't seen anything yet.

Microsoft lets you opt-out of Windows 10 after being sued

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Windows 10

I guess I will pass also and stay with Windows 7. I only plan to use this laptop for limited purposes like storing and viewing recipes and possibly pictures. It is an old computer and let it stay as it is unless Windows offers anything special.

Opt out

Pressure has made them change how it is presented to you. Hopefully it will make it easier to accept, delay or say no...

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Gibson Research Corporation

Gibson Research Corporation has a utility that will remove all Windows 10 files
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

I have been running windows 10 since the free update rolled out

I updated all my computers and helped a couple of friends and my 3 adult kids with the windows 10 update and without exception they all love it and nearly all of them said they felt like they had gotten a new and much quicker laptop for free.

I have not even contemplated for a second rolling back any of my computers to windows 7 and I have yet to have anyone I know tell me they have rolled back to the prior OS or even wanted to do it.

I have run every version of windows since windows 1 except windows 8 and for me the windows 10 version is the best to date by a mile. smile

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Windows 1, what?

LMAO! I believe Windoze started at 3.0. Just looked this up. I'm showing my age...rather youth! 1.01 is correct.

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

Windows

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows for Windows history . Scroll down to see 1.0

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Microsoft's big Windows 10 update to launch Aug. 2

Microsoft's big Windows 10 update to launch Aug. 2

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3089869/microsoft-windo...

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Desqview

If we are talking windowing history, does anyone (besides me) remember Quarterdeck's Desqview? It was a MS-DOS based text (non-GUI) windowing environment that allowed running simultaneous multiple applications and using "high memory" (over 640KB) on the new 80386 processors. This generation of computers didn't have a mouse interface, so you used keyboard controls to move between windows. Desqview was mildly popular back in the late 80's before Microsoft Windows became dominant. We used it in my workplace and promoted it to our clients. In it's day it added considerable function and value to the high-end DOS based computers of the time.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Edge extensions

koot wrote:

Microsoft's big Windows 10 update to launch Aug. 2

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3089869/microsoft-windows/microsofts-big-windows-10-update-launches-on-aug-2.html

I see that Edge will receive the ability to add extensions, plug ins or whatever you want to call them. I might have to give it a look after the update.

Same here!

rjrsw wrote:

I updated all my computers and helped a couple of friends and my 3 adult kids with the windows 10 update and without exception they all love it and nearly all of them said they felt like they had gotten a new and much quicker laptop for free.

I have not even contemplated for a second rolling back any of my computers to windows 7 and I have yet to have anyone I know tell me they have rolled back to the prior OS or even wanted to do it.

I have run every version of windows since windows 1 except windows 8 and for me the windows 10 version is the best to date by a mile. smile

· They all love it...
· Not contemplated for a second rolling back...
· Have yet to have anyone I know tell me they have rolled back...
· Windows 10 is the best...

Same here!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Add me

koot wrote:
rjrsw wrote:

I updated all my computers and helped a couple of friends and my 3 adult kids with the windows 10 update and without exception they all love it and nearly all of them said they felt like they had gotten a new and much quicker laptop for free.

I have not even contemplated for a second rolling back any of my computers to windows 7 and I have yet to have anyone I know tell me they have rolled back to the prior OS or even wanted to do it.

I have run every version of windows since windows 1 except windows 8 and for me the windows 10 version is the best to date by a mile. smile

· They all love it...
· Not contemplated for a second rolling back...
· Have yet to have anyone I know tell me they have rolled back...
· Windows 10 is the best...

Same here!

Add me to this list.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Had to roll back Vista

I did have to roll back my Vista. They never were able to give me a driver for my graphic card to work correctly.

I research my Windows 7 and it is older than they are supporting. They are not making drivers and are not testing the Windows 10 operating system for Windows 7 before 2013.

Has anyone updated their Windows 7 PC that was purchased before 2013? If so did everything work correctly? Did you find drivers that would work for everything?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

YEP!!

alandb wrote:

If we are talking windowing history, does anyone (besides me) remember Quarterdeck's Desqview? It was a MS-DOS based text (non-GUI) windowing environment that allowed running simultaneous multiple applications and using "high memory" (over 640KB) on the new 80386 processors. This generation of computers didn't have a mouse interface, so you used keyboard controls to move between windows. Desqview was mildly popular back in the late 80's before Microsoft Windows became dominant. We used it in my workplace and promoted it to our clients. In it's day it added considerable function and value to the high-end DOS based computers of the time.

We used Desqview with Double Dos... Used to run a bbs with 3 lines.. What fun times!!

BTW, I still have that software in my library right along with a copy of Windows v1.00 (Still in a white Zenith Box) and so much others

Talk about times..

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

Microsoft says 350 million devices are now running Windows 10

mgarledge wrote:

I did have to roll back my Vista. They never were able to give me a driver for my graphic card to work correctly.

I research my Windows 7 and it is older than they are supporting. They are not making drivers and are not testing the Windows 10 operating system for Windows 7 before 2013.

Has anyone updated their Windows 7 PC that was purchased before 2013? If so did everything work correctly? Did you find drivers that would work for everything?

It's probably [past] time to replace your old PC that has Windows Vista on it for a brand new shiny one that is factory loaded with Windows 10. (Computers have gotten so much better, and are less expensive.)

Your PC using Windows 7 (factory loaded with Windows 7 I presume) purchased before 2013 is almost certainly fine to upgrade to Windows 10. Just check the requirements to make sure (shown below).

Windows 10 Requirements:
· Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
· RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
· Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
· Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
· A Microsoft account and Internet access.

Microsoft says that 350 million devices are now running Windows 10. That is more than one device for every man, woman and child in the U.S. Why not yours?

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

devices

Koot,

they said 'devices' not pc, from what I understand, the xbox one is supposed to run windows 10 sort of, and smartphones do the same sort of..

I have a laptop that started out with vista upgraded to windows 7, would not even think of attempting to putting windows 10 on it.

My HP laptop was purchased in 2009 and had no problem updating

mgarledge wrote:

I did have to roll back my Vista. They never were able to give me a driver for my graphic card to work correctly.

I research my Windows 7 and it is older than they are supporting. They are not making drivers and are not testing the Windows 10 operating system for Windows 7 before 2013.

Has anyone updated their Windows 7 PC that was purchased before 2013? If so did everything work correctly? Did you find drivers that would work for everything?

I purchased my HP Pavilion dm3-1030us laptop back in 2009 and had no problem updating to windows 10 and it found drivers for everything during the update. It runs a lot quicker after the update than with the windows 7 it was running with before the update.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

upgrade

you know some people are still running windows XP and they will use them until the computer dies ! if you have an older computer think about how long you figure it will last can you get 4-6 years out of it, are you comfortable with it, if you are run it until it dies then get a new one it will come with windows 10, ive up graded to win 10 and I build my own computers my wife wants to keep windows 7 on hers . which is fine she does hobby stuff on it and its about 5 years old ! the things that bother me about windows 10 is the data mining but then again so does google and any online service and retail store you do business with ! the other is the edge browser at times I look at the task manager and find edge is using a very large amount of memory enough to slow my computer to a crawl more then my Kaspersky and malware bytes combined I kill the edge browser and restart it and then its fine ! maybe with the aug update they will fix it!

.

geo334 wrote:

you know some people are still running windows XP and they will use them until the computer dies !

I used my 1GHz Pentium III with XP Pro with 1GB RAM for 10 years. No problem whatsoever. It didn't die but I decided to replace it because of speed issue.

Quote:

the things that bother me about windows 10 is the data mining

That's the price of free upgrade. I'd rather pay for my OS and be left alone.

Quote:

but then again so does google and any online service and retail store you do business with !

Do they log keystrokes and send the data home like Windows 10?

Quote:

the other is the edge browser at times I look at the task manager and find edge is using a very large amount of memory enough to slow my computer to a crawl more then my Kaspersky and malware bytes combined I kill the edge browser and restart it and then its fine ! maybe with the aug update they will fix it!

Perhaps you don't have enough RAM. How much RAM does Edge browser use? I use Firefox. It can grab more than 500MB of RAM easily. I'm using Firefox browser to post this. It's using 400MB right now and I only have 2 open tabs just for browsing (no video/audio etc).

500MB of RAM usage is considered nothing these days. Most systems have at least 8GB or more RAM.

Like I said initially,

It's the drivers, predominantly for chipsets, on board devices (NIC, USB) ports that keep most of the upgrades from succeeding.

In my case, I've got a system where every component was had selected for a reason.

And while the software that checks the system says I can upgrade my system, the upgrade fails.

I don't have the time to rebuild this 12TB system from scratch.

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!
1 2 3
<<Page 4>>