2595LMT has gone bad , need recomendations for a new one.

 

My 2595lmt was acting up and after talking to Garmin we figured out the plug in the back has gotten loose or is not connecting correctly. Would like to hear any recommendations on the newer models that people are using now. I know there are probably better features. Thanks for your help, Jerry

3597LMTHD

Even though it is a 2013 model, it is IMHO still one of the best nuvis ever made. And since it has a powered mount, it will reduce the stress on the USB port, as you will only use the USB port for connecting to your computer.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

2797

Same with the 2797, powered cradle and a nice 7" screen !

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Cable Stress Damages Ports

alandb wrote:

Even though it is a 2013 model, it is IMHO still one of the best nuvis ever made. And since it has a powered mount, it will reduce the stress on the USB port, as you will only use the USB port for connecting to your computer.

Before selecting a model that meets your needs and budget, try to buy one with a powered cable mount. Far too many Nuvi's were rendered useless because cable stress on the USB port caused the port to lose contact with the main board. The powered mounts can also become defective due to stress from the power cable, however, it's far cheaper to replace the power mount than the Nuvi.

I always wrap the cable around my mount (bean bag) so as not to cause any stress on the cable. Whether it be a power mount or direct connection to a Nuvi's USB port.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Power Mount

muell9k wrote:
alandb wrote:

Even though it is a 2013 model, it is IMHO still one of the best nuvis ever made. And since it has a powered mount, it will reduce the stress on the USB port, as you will only use the USB port for connecting to your computer.

Before selecting a model that meets your needs and budget, try to buy one with a powered cable mount. Far too many Nuvi's were rendered useless because cable stress on the USB port caused the port to lose contact with the main board. The powered mounts can also become defective due to stress from the power cable, however, it's far cheaper to replace the power mount than the Nuvi.

I always wrap the cable around my mount (bean bag) so as not to cause any stress on the cable. Whether it be a power mount or direct connection to a Nuvi's USB port.

Which models come with a power mount? Is there a list somewhere? Thanks

We probably need a FAQ on this.

Orlandorealtor wrote:

Which models come with a power mount? Is there a list somewhere? Thanks

There are not very many of the recent models that have a powered mount. I know the 3597 and nuvicam do, and Melaqueman says the 2797 does. There may be a couple of others.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Power Mounts

The link below has a list of models with power mounts but I don't think it conclusive since the 3797 and 2797 aren't showing.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36452

Sometimes Garmin doesn't indicate in their specs if models have a power mount, in that case what I do is find the model # at the Garmin site, then look under accessories, then mounts to see if the model shows a power mount as an accessory.

Usually models with power mounts are more expensive, if you find one you like I would suggest you buy a Garmin Factory Refurbished one at a substantial savings. These unit will arrive as a new one and carry the same 1 year warranty, the only difference is the box. I myself would only buy refurbished on my next purchase.

My friend bought a refurbished 2595 almost 2 years ago for $119.00. I made sure to tell him to wrap the power cable to release any tension on the USB port, his is still working like new.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Thanks for the link muell9k

That list would be a good starting point for a FAQ, alhough I suggest shortening the list by model series (7x0, 7x5, etc) instead of listing individual models. Also, if you create the FAQ, link it to a discussion thread where we can post new models and corrections.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

2797 mount

Here is a picture of a suction-cup mount for the 2797.

The pins on the mount are clearly visible which connect power and a rear speaker on the mount.The same mount fits 7 different Garmin GPS's.

BTW: I still wrap the power-cord around the mount to lessen any strain.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/mounts/s...

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

It looks

muell9k wrote:

The link below has a list of models with power mounts but I don't think it conclusive since the 3797 and 2797 aren't showing.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36452

It looks like a very complete list EXCEPT it hasn't really been kept up to date which is probably the reason that the 3597 and other models are not listed. It looks like the last really complete update to the list was from Jim1348 on 05/28/2012

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Power Mount FAQ

alandb wrote:

That list would be a good starting point for a FAQ, alhough I suggest shortening the list by model series (7x0, 7x5, etc) instead of listing individual models. Also, if you create the FAQ, link it to a discussion thread where we can post new models and corrections.

Alan, I didn't create the list, forum member class3 did through research. On May 29th, 2012 of the thread I did request it to be added to the FAQ's but apparently it didn't make it.
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36452

Quote From Mu Post
"My thanks to class3 in his(her) efforts in providing the list and to others who have added.
Along with the FAQ on internal Memory of Garmins, we have useful information that Garmin Buyers can use when deciding to purchase a unit.

I have sent an email to request this be added to the FAQ's, I sincerely hope the request is granted."

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

lol

new one

--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/693683800.png[/IMG][/URL]

Powered mount FAQ

muell9k wrote:

Alan, I didn't create the list, forum member class3 did through research. On May 29th, 2012 of the thread I did request it to be added to the FAQ's but apparently it didn't make it.
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36452

Quote From Mu Post
"My thanks to class3 in his(her) efforts in providing the list and to others who have added.
Along with the FAQ on internal Memory of Garmins, we have useful information that Garmin Buyers can use when deciding to purchase a unit.

I have sent an email to request this be added to the FAQ's, I sincerely hope the request is granted."

Anyone can create and submit a FAQ. It is one of the options under the "Create Content" link. I am sure Globe Turtle and JM would approve this FAQ if someone wrote it up and submitted it. It appears class3 has not been active on the forum for several months, but you could give him credit within the FAQ writeup for the content of the list.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

3597

I love my 3597.

Consider This:

Like many others here at the factory, I highly recommend the Nuvi 3597 as a possible replacement for your ailing 2595. New units are available on Amazon or Best Buy for around $329. You may want to consider saving $100, as many of us here have done, and go for a refurbished unit. The GPS Store is currently selling refurbs for $229:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Nuvi-3597LMTHD-Refurbished...

The USB socket has been a weak link on many Garmin GPSr’s for quite some time. Units with powered mounts, such as the 3597, help reduce wear but do not eliminate the problem completely.

I solve the issue by using a short USB pigtail cable as a strain relief. I fasten the cable to the GPSr by using a zip tie to attach it to the mount. A dab of epoxy or even duct tape can also be used to fasten the cable directly to the back of the GPS case.

A unit with a bad USB socket can sometimes be repaired using one of these cables. If you are comfortable doing fine solder work, these cables can be cut in half and the socket end soldered directly to the circuit board bypassing the defective USB socket.

A wide variety of pigtail cables are available such as:

USB mini straight:

http://www.showmecables.com/product/Mini-USB-B-Extension-Cab...

USB micro straight:

http://www.dx.com/p/micro-usb-male-to-female-extension-data-...

USB mini right angle:

http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-Right-Female-Extension/dp/B...

USB micro right angle:

http://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Micro-B-Position-Extensio...

If you plan to use an angled cable, be sure to order one with the proper orientation (left, right, up or down) to fit your GPSr socket.

If your GPSr uses a traffic receiver cable or remote speaker, make sure you order a cable with all pins connected through.

Nuvi LMT2797

Melaqueman wrote:

Here is a picture of a suction-cup mount for the 2797.

The pins on the mount are clearly visible which connect power and a rear speaker on the mount.The same mount fits 7 different Garmin GPS's.

BTW: I still wrap the power-cord around the mount to lessen any strain.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/mounts/s...

I can confirm the 2797 uses a powered mount and I also wrap the cord around the mount as well.

--
(formerly known as condump) RV 770 LMT-S, Nuvi2797LMT, Nuvi765T

Cable strain

Gastx wrote:
Melaqueman wrote:

Here is a picture of a suction-cup mount for the 2797.

The pins on the mount are clearly visible which connect power and a rear speaker on the mount.The same mount fits 7 different Garmin GPS's.

BTW: I still wrap the power-cord around the mount to lessen any strain.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/mounts/s...

I can confirm the 2797 uses a powered mount and I also wrap the cord around the mount as well.

Strain on the Garmin USB connector caused by the weight of the antenna/power cable has been well documented for years in this forum. Quite a few regulars in these different forums have mentioned time and time again the need for better connector mounts and for caution on the part of the user.

Among the methods posted by users over the years wrapping the cord around the base of the unit is probably the most frequently mentioned. Before SmartPhone Link and the Live Traffic became more common place, many stated it was best to droop the antenna/power cable over the rear view mirror to both improve reception and relieve strain on the connector. I've almost always user a bean bag dash mount for my units and I pull as much cable as possible up from the cigarette lighter end of the cable to lay a large loop on the dash and pin it in place with a corner of the bean bag.

The other most common cause for USB connector failure given is the constant unplugging of the connector from the unit. This from those that leave the cable in the vehicle and only unplug the unit before taking it with them. In each and every scenario, it is always the connector at the unit that fails so it should come as no surprise that minimizing the number of times the connection is disturbed is a key part of long life for the unit.

My 885 is probably 6 years old now and still going strong. The cradle has been replaced once because the exposed pins failed but I've never experienced a USB connector failure as I always take the extra few seconds to provide strain relief. It's always the weight of the cord pulling against the solder joint that causes the problem so reducing the pull of the cable by any means will always be one of the best measures you can take to prevent a premature failure.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions! Refurbished is fine with me. I will check all options out..

2598

Very happy with it.

--
Nuvi 760 Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT Garmin Streetpilot Onboard for iPhone

@alandb

alandb wrote:
muell9k wrote:

Alan, I didn't create the list, forum member class3 did through research. On May 29th, 2012 of the thread I did request it to be added to the FAQ's but apparently it didn't make it.
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36452

Quote From My Post
"My thanks to class3 in his(her) efforts in providing the list and to others who have added.
Along with the FAQ on internal Memory of Garmins, we have useful information that Garmin Buyers can use when deciding to purchase a unit.

I have sent an email to request this be added to the FAQ's, I sincerely hope the request is granted."

Anyone can create and submit a FAQ. It is one of the options under the "Create Content" link. I am sure Globe Turtle and JM would approve this FAQ if someone wrote it up and submitted it. It appears class3 has not been active on the forum for several months, but you could give him credit within the FAQ writeup for the content of the list.

I have started a new post in attempt to create a current list for power mounts to submit for a FAQ.
I did include the older units in the event members wanting to buy older units on Ebay that have the power mount feature.

Link for the post:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/45198

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Recycle

Can I send you a self address stamped envelope so you can donate and drop the broken unit to me?

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV