Garmin CIty Navigator NA 2016.10 has been released.

 

It has been reported over on the long running 2016.10 speculation/joke thread that City Navigator 2016.10 North America has been released and is available for download via Garmin Express or Garmin MapUpdater. It is time to close off discussion in that old thread and move the discussion of download experiences and map issues to this new thread.

I am downloading now on a clone of my 3597LMTHD using Express 4.1.4.0. I will report back when the update completes (or fails).

See also

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon
<<Page 2>>

Thank you..!!

Thank you for share this update.
Installed just now, without any problem with GE 4.1.4.0 in my NUVI 3590LMT. ( PC.Win 7/64 ).

--
dysonsk

Install Went Just Fine

Installed CN NA 2016.10 to Nuvi 2557LMT and Mac without any problems.

Thanks everyone

Concerning the info on Map Updater & the DEM file, it's appreciated.

I'll be using Alans clone method once again on my 3 devices as it's 100% foolproof smile

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Ok update on 3597

I used GE to update my 3597 and all appears ok. DEM file is present with current date stamp and identical file size as old one.

Time zones

Juggernaut wrote:

I'm averaging about 12mbps down. Glad I'm doing this at 2:45 instead of 5 pm or so when everyone is on.

Where you are it may be 2:45, but for some of us that means 5:45.
Or in Newfoundland that would be 7:15, LOL.

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

True enough

I'm in BC on PST. Which means, all you easterners got first crack at the servers. smile

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

If

If your in BC I think you mean PDT not PST. smile

For us BC folks things get better after 8pm when all the folks back east go to bed. grin

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

2016.10 map updates

I've just downloaded this update to 2 of my GPS units.

Mike

Is it

fair to assume the built-in POI is freshened up every time the maps are updated? I continue to see businesses that are long gone and new establishments that are in place for a couple years still missing.

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

update went smoothly for

update went smoothly for myself.

installing now

GE says it will take 1 hour 38 minutes. Hopefully, I will not have any issues.

Yes

uber360 wrote:

[Is it] fair to assume the built-in POI is freshened up every time the maps are updated? I continue to see businesses that are long gone and new establishments that are in place for a couple years still missing.

I believe it is fair to assume this. What one cannot assume is that all of the POIs will be accurate. ie. no "there but no longer in business" and/or "existing but not there yet". So, 'freshen" is a nebulous term, at best.

We have never been able to determine what criteria is used for inclusion as a POI built into the map. Of course, one reason for the existence of POI-factory is that we try very hard to make our files accurate by using the membership as error-checkers.

If you have ever tried to create a POI file, you realize how difficult it is to convert a "mailing address" into coordinates. There turns out to be a considerable amount of work required to accurately position an "address" on a map - especially with regard to strip malls, malls, and shopping centers.

Wacky Routing

I don't know, but I got some strange routing today. Not a good sign for this release.

We know that Garmin adjusts the routing algorithms periodically (if not every map release). Today I left work early and selected the Sam's Club near I-64 on the way home, to get gas. As I got close to the exit I noticed that the "route" went past the correct exit, then came back to do a Loop-de-Loop to get there. The next exit is exactly 5 miles - so 10 miles extra to get there. As I got closer, my 3597 changed it's mind and re-calculated without me telling it to.

Hope you can visualize this (37.118341,-76.503721):

The end of the ramp has a bunch of heavy duty short poles sticking up on the left as the ramp ends. This is to prevent idiots from shooting across 3 traffic lanes to get to the left turn lanes to Walmart and Sam's. There are also poles between the left turn lanes and the traffic lanes that begin before the ones on the ramp lane end.

My Garmin has always been aware that you can't make a left there and must turn left at the next signal. Well, today it told me to make a left at the first signal, which is something I couldn't do legally or safely.

I know they can't test for everything, but 10 miles out of the way and losing the lane dividers! Really!!!

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Submit location

uber360 wrote:

fair to assume the built-in POI is freshened up every time the maps are updated? I continue to see businesses that are long gone and new establishments that are in place for a couple years still missing.

The business has to submit the name, address, etc. to the map folks. They don't have people patrolling the streets looking to see who is and isn't there. That would be very expensive to keep up to date, considering how many strip malls, etc. there are.

That's what keeps we POI maintainers busy and awake at night.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Downloaded 2016.10

Yesterday I downloaded 2016.10 to my 2797 and also to my 855.

A curious thing is happening.

When I turn on the 855 on the opening map page it shows me lots of local stores, restaurants etc.

The 2797 shows absolutely nothing on the same opening map page.

In either case I have not zoomed in for a closer view.

Any idea why that may be?

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Layers?

Layers?

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

The

The 2797 defaults to a different zoom level question question

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

No issues

45 minutes start-to-finish including an update to the current version of Garmin Express from some old version before the current flurry of the nearly continuous version updates of that App.

--
"Primum Non Nocere" 2595LMT Clear Channel and Navteq Traffic

Layers

phranc wrote:

Layers?

Only 3 choices on the 2797 and two are checked. Trip log is unchecked. Places along the road is checked as is traffic.

t923347
The 2797 actually zooms in closer at startup then the 855.

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Bad news

Well, I can unfortunately confirm two things:
1) Despite the fact that HERE reflected user-made changes on both HERE.com and the now defunct Yahoo Maps prior to the 2016.10 manifest being uploaded, this map update does *NOT* have any of the changes I made that are currently showing on all of the other versions.
2) That also means this is the first time I have seen the current map being offered *not* being the same map as available on HERE.com as "published." I am extremely disappointed in both of these since now - as far as I can tell - there is no way to preview the map before we can actually download it as we could in the past.
I now have to wait another 4 months to see if any of the changes made with Map Creator actually reflect on the GPS. The only real update I see on this new map is the expanded railroad mapping.

Thanks

Thanks

This weekend

Guess I will go ahead and download this weekend on the 755 and see how it all goes before I load it onto the RV 760.

DOWNLOADED MAP TO TWO

Of my GPS and I didn't see any changes in my area.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT, 60LMTHD

Don't forget to Master Reset after a map update!

Routes won't import into my Z665 from this map update.

Thinking it's a memory issue, I tried to clean unused files from my GPS. Then I remembered what I've been recommending for years, I did a Master Reset and the GPS is behaving much better, albeit still with an internal memory shortage that won't calculate a simple point a to point b interstate route of 450 miles.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Chill Out

phranc wrote:
metricman wrote:

Here we go again.

GE started out telling me 3 hrs. 28 min. less than 5 minutes ago.

Now it say 2 hrs. 40 min. and still dropping fast. Only hitting speeds of 20 - 25 Mbps. Very up and down. Could be Garmin server or my service provider, as I have no way to tell.

Downloading with the "Both" option.

We shall see.

It's Prime Time on the East Coast. 4PM to 8PM. Probably your provider trying to balance traffic.

Guys, get a grip here.

Your providers can easily handle 25 Mbps (and more) per Garmin user downloading. That's a drop in the bucket for them. How many Garmin users do you actually think are in your neighborhood downloading at the same time as you? Not many I would surmise. On the other hand, can Garmin handle hundreds of 25 Mbps uploads simultaneously? 100 of them would be 2.5 Gbps. 1,000 (if there were that many at the same time) would be 25 Gbps simultaneously. I'm pretty darn sure they aren't set up to handle that. Even if their pipe is that large, are their servers large enough? Probably not, at least not at Garmin. We're not talking Microsoft, Apple and Google here. Take a chill and if you have to download the first day or two, have some patience. And don't forget, downloading is only half of it. Installing on your little USB port to the GPS is a much larger bottleneck than the pipe to Garmin.

Just added to my 2 Garmins

Took a little over an hour and a half for my Nuvi 2595 to update via Garmin Express and about half that time for my Nuvi 55. The 55 only has US maps and the 2595 is all of North America so i assume that is the reason. Have not had much chance to try it out to see if there are any glitches.

Sorry, Don't need to get a grip

Sixeye wrote:
phranc wrote:
metricman wrote:

Here we go again.

GE started out telling me 3 hrs. 28 min. less than 5 minutes ago.

Now it say 2 hrs. 40 min. and still dropping fast. Only hitting speeds of 20 - 25 Mbps. Very up and down. Could be Garmin server or my service provider, as I have no way to tell.

Downloading with the "Both" option.

We shall see.

It's Prime Time on the East Coast. 4PM to 8PM. Probably your provider trying to balance traffic.

Guys, get a grip here.

Your providers can easily handle 25 Mbps (and more) per Garmin user downloading. That's a drop in the bucket for them. How many Garmin users do you actually think are in your neighborhood downloading at the same time as you? Not many I would surmise. On the other hand, can Garmin handle hundreds of 25 Mbps uploads simultaneously? 100 of them would be 2.5 Gbps. 1,000 (if there were that many at the same time) would be 25 Gbps simultaneously. I'm pretty darn sure they aren't set up to handle that. Even if their pipe is that large, are their servers large enough? Probably not, at least not at Garmin. We're not talking Microsoft, Apple and Google here. Take a chill and if you have to download the first day or two, have some patience. And don't forget, downloading is only half of it. Installing on your little USB port to the GPS is a much larger bottleneck than the pipe to Garmin.

"Here we go again" was actually referring to the map update occurring.

I was just stating observations, not complaining.

I know all too well all the variables involved when downloading anything from the internet. Time of day, distance to server, local provider and server capability on the other end all play a part. Most folks think they are getting one big file. They are getting one file at their end, but it comes over the internet in packets and the packets don't always come by the same route nor do they all arrive at the same time. Just too many variables involved to get a steady download speed cross-country.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Speedtest.net

Have you ever used this site? I do periodically.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Several

Frside007 wrote:

Have you ever used this site? I do periodically.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Regardless which I chose it always comes out at between 5.5 to 6.0 Mbps download and just under 0.30 Mbps for uploads.

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Smooth update--

Had lunch and played with the puppy. By the time he was worn out, it was done. Everyone happy!

--
Nuvi 2460, 680, DATUM Tymserve 2100, Trimble Thunderbolt, Ham radio, Macintosh, Linux, Windows

I updated...

I updated my 3590LMT the day it was released. Took about 8 hours on my really slow internet connection. But I was pleased that I didn't get the "failed" download message once so all is good.

hmmm...

Narvick wrote:

Well, I can unfortunately confirm two things:
1) Despite the fact that HERE reflected user-made changes on both HERE.com and the now defunct Yahoo Maps prior to the 2016.10 manifest being uploaded, this map update does *NOT* have any of the changes I made that are currently showing on all of the other versions.
2) That also means this is the first time I have seen the current map being offered *not* being the same map as available on HERE.com as "published." I am extremely disappointed in both of these since now - as far as I can tell - there is no way to preview the map before we can actually download it as we could in the past.
I now have to wait another 4 months to see if any of the changes made with Map Creator actually reflect on the GPS. The only real update I see on this new map is the expanded railroad mapping.

Sounds like Garmin is an update or two behind HERE's map releases.

Yes but

Jim547 wrote:
Narvick wrote:

Well, I can unfortunately confirm two things:
1) Despite the fact that HERE reflected user-made changes on both HERE.com and the now defunct Yahoo Maps prior to the 2016.10 manifest being uploaded, this map update does *NOT* have any of the changes I made that are currently showing on all of the other versions.
2) That also means this is the first time I have seen the current map being offered *not* being the same map as available on HERE.com as "published." I am extremely disappointed in both of these since now - as far as I can tell - there is no way to preview the map before we can actually download it as we could in the past.
I now have to wait another 4 months to see if any of the changes made with Map Creator actually reflect on the GPS. The only real update I see on this new map is the expanded railroad mapping.

Sounds like Garmin is an update or two behind HERE's map releases.

Yes but this has never happened before.

Saved trips on a 3597 with 2016.10

In the past I have saved a group of vias within a category and I would add these multiple vias on my 255W and the unit would take me on that specific route that I wanted it to take.

Occasionally with a new map update (perhaps a new road that was added) the unit would at times try and route me on a different interstate and I would just add another via and I was back on my original route.

With my new 3597 that I'm still learning and experimenting with, I've created several saved trips with the trip planner. Before updating to 2016.10 I did a full backup.

After having loaded the new firmware and map I then did a hard reset. I then reloaded my favorites (current1.gpx) & restored the various functions of the unit (may layer, map tools etc) and made sure my trends was once again turned off !

When I put the unit in simulation mode to test out my routes many different routes had me getting off the interstate and going an alternate way. I was stumped because never in the past would I have to add as many vias as this to get my original route back.

After alot of fiddling around I decided to delete the entire route from trip planner and then re-entered the same destinations and create a new route. Guess what, when I previewed the route all is well and the unit doesn't have me getting off to go some other way any longer.

Your mileage may vary but if you see your routes taking you an alternate way I suggest you delete it and re-create it as it worked for me grin

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Garmin Program Not So Easy

Narvick wrote:

Well, I can unfortunately confirm two things:
1) Despite the fact that HERE reflected user-made changes on both HERE.com and the now defunct Yahoo Maps prior to the 2016.10 manifest being uploaded, this map update does *NOT* have any of the changes I made that are currently showing on all of the other versions.
2) That also means this is the first time I have seen the current map being offered *not* being the same map as available on HERE.com as "published." I am extremely disappointed in both of these since now - as far as I can tell - there is no way to preview the map before we can actually download it as we could in the past.
I now have to wait another 4 months to see if any of the changes made with Map Creator actually reflect on the GPS. The only real update I see on this new map is the expanded railroad mapping.

You have to understand that Garmin has to make a cutoff date for the map is uses to create next update. If not, for every map update Here publishes, there would be more time spent trying to find the changes, finding the program steps to insure it will work with the changes, yada, yada.

It's easy for Here to publish the changes, there isn't an overlying program that has to be updated to show the changes.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Wonder

canuk wrote:

Your mileage may vary but if you see your routes taking you an alternate way I suggest you delete it and re-create it as it worked for me grin

Wonder what would happen if you loaded the route into Basecamp or Mapsource, with 2016.10 installed and recalculated it? If that fixed the routing change it maybe easier than recreating the route.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Good suggestion

t923347 wrote:

Wonder what would happen if you loaded the route into Basecamp or Mapsource, with 2016.10 installed and recalculated it? If that fixed the routing change it maybe easier than recreating the route.

I've never tried it that way and have long ago deleted Basecamp from my computer. I just use Mapsource to get a set of coordinates, save it as a favorite and then build my routes with various favorites.

I should most probably start evolving and play around with all the different programs/ possibilities out there as your wisely suggesting grin

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Map Update

Guess I'll try to update my trusty old 660.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2021.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Is there a "what's new"

Is there a "what's new" section to tell us what's been updated?

--
Garmin DriveLuxe 51 LTM-S

Nope

helloguys wrote:

Is there a "what's new" section to tell us what's been updated?

Not that I have ever seen over the years.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2021.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Routes.

canuk wrote:

After alot of fiddling around I decided to delete the entire route from trip planner and then re-entered the same destinations and create a new route. Guess what, when I previewed the route all is well and the unit doesn't have me getting off to go some other way any longer.

Your mileage may vary but if you see your routes taking you an alternate way I suggest you delete it and re-create it as it worked for me grin

I have had problems with saved routes failing after a map update before, but a hard reset/route reinstall has always solved it. Also, I could fix it without a hard reset by forcing a recalc on each individual route. I would do this by changing the routing preference from fastest to shortest, recalc, then change it back and recalc again.

Interestingly though on 2016.10, my saved routes all worked on all 3 of my nuvi's without a hard reset or recalc. Go figure!

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

MS Streets and Trips 2013

canuk wrote:

In the past I have saved a group of vias within a category and I would add these multiple vias on my 255W and the unit would take me on that specific route that I wanted it to take.

Occasionally with a new map update (perhaps a new road that was added) the unit would at times try and route me on a different interstate and I would just add another via and I was back on my original route.

With my new 3597 that I'm still learning and experimenting with, I've created several saved trips with the trip planner. Before updating to 2016.10 I did a full backup.

After having loaded the new firmware and map I then did a hard reset. I then reloaded my favorites (current1.gpx) & restored the various functions of the unit (may layer, map tools etc) and made sure my trends was once again turned off !

When I put the unit in simulation mode to test out my routes many different routes had me getting off the interstate and going an alternate way. I was stumped because never in the past would I have to add as many vias as this to get my original route back.

After alot of fiddling around I decided to delete the entire route from trip planner and then re-entered the same destinations and create a new route. Guess what, when I previewed the route all is well and the unit doesn't have me getting off to go some other way any longer.

Your mileage may vary but if you see your routes taking you an alternate way I suggest you delete it and re-create it as it worked for me grin

You should see what that program (MS S&T) will have me do where I live. It has me get of a limited access highway, tour several side roads before it takes me back on the initial highway I was on, only a couple of miles down the road. No reason for that. Even adding via points will not make a darn difference.

It will also do similar routing in Mexico, in some cases it routes me several hundred miles off somewhere to end up on the route I should be on in the first place. Again adding via points makes no difference.

No wonder its not sold anymore!

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Went very smoothly on my 2598

Did it this morning. Very smooth process. Under 90 minutes.

--
Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT

Done

Got my trusty old 660 updated this morning using Map Updater. No problem.

Also installed on 2 PCs for use with BaseCamp.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2021.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Thanks to fast internet

My ISP (Suddenlink) just updated their service to 50mbps. Download ran 18 minutes (to computer only). Then install to Nuvi 52 took 9 minutes.

--
Garmin Drivesmart 61, Nuvi 52, Nuvi 1390

Large JCV File

Juggernaut wrote:

Why don't you upload it to a Google Drive account, and share that folder?

If someone could provide me with the large JCV file (D3060180B.jcv), I would be happy to load it onto one of several web sites that I manage to make it available. I will work out details with how to obtain the link once I get it uploaded.

Thanks

Going to start now..

2016.10

cool
Updating now...

--
"Destination Eternity" Garmin 765T, & Samsung Galaxy Note Edge

I hated BaseCamp at first but now LOVE it

canuk wrote:
t923347 wrote:

Wonder what would happen if you loaded the route into Basecamp or Mapsource, with 2016.10 installed and recalculated it? If that fixed the routing change it maybe easier than recreating the route.

I've never tried it that way and have long ago deleted Basecamp from my computer. I just use Mapsource to get a set of coordinates, save it as a favorite and then build my routes with various favorites.

I should most probably start evolving and play around with all the different programs/ possibilities out there as your wisely suggesting grin

With BaseCamp I use the Route, not the Trip Planner. I find the first and last points see where it takes me and just right click and put a waypoint the way I want it to take me. Works great. If you need to move any of the waypoints don't forget to hold down the alt when you click and hold. I tried to move the waypoints for an hour or so with no luck until I READ the Directions..... idea mrgreen

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Ah yes, the destructions

mgarledge wrote:

I tried to move the waypoints for an hour or so with no luck until I READ the Directions..... idea mrgreen

It is a fact that many people buy a new car and maybe other items and never ever open the manual that comes with it.

--
Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.
<<Page 2>>