GE 4.0.8.0 is out

 

Just checked for GE updates and it downloaded 4.0.8.0 !!

Voices and Vehicles worked.

Of course, it may not next time. We'll see.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

I just tried backup to

I just tried backup to default location...

It worked without issuing an error message, but Seeing that I've never tried it before... kind-of afraid to test it!

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

BUT

JanJ wrote:

I just tried backup to default location...

...

This "backup" is not even close to the backup you ought to make before doing anything significant (like new maps) to your unit.

Everyone - PLEASE make a full backup of your units.

MAC

4.0.8.0 for MAC is out, also.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Re-connect worked

Unplugged 3597 from USB. Closed GE.

Plugged in 3597 and Vehicles and Voices still worked after GE restarted. Good sign.

Will try it again tomorrow.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Not able to update

For some reason, I am not able to update to 4.0.8.0. I tried changing the proxy settings with no luck. Whenever I try to update, it downloads an earlier version. It seems Garmin still has some bugs to work out. However, I am now able to access the vehicles and voices. Go figure!

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Working for me too.

metricman wrote:

Just checked for GE updates and it downloaded 4.0.8.0 !!

Voices and Vehicles worked.

Of course, it may not next time. We'll see.

Vehicles and voices is currently working for me too. I tried it with both my 3597 and 755. The fix for this was not in the release notes, but as we have seen in the past, that doesn't mean anything. It is possible that the fix for this was on the server end and not something in Garmin Express. In any case, hopefully this issue is fixed.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

I just downloaded 4.0.8.0

I just downloaded 4.0.8.0 and finally voices and vehicles worked. I just hope it continues to work. They haven't worked in the last 3 updates (4.0.5.0, 4.0.6.0, and 4.0.7.0)for me.

Backup

jgermann wrote:
JanJ wrote:

I just tried backup to default location...

...

This "backup" is not even close to the backup you ought to make before doing anything significant (like new maps) to your unit.

Everyone - PLEASE make a full backup of your units.

Just to see if I am doing things correctly, how long should it take to do a full backup? I know it depends on the size of information and other variables. Backup internal and then card?

--
nuvi 1390 LT, nuvi 1450 LMT, Win 10

Thanks you

Thanks for the update

--
Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT, Nuvi 750, Nuvi 255LT

Depends

jbees60 wrote:

...
Just to see if I am doing things correctly, how long should it take to do a full backup? I know it depends on the size of information and other variables. Backup internal and then card?

It will depend on several things - whether you are backing up to your hard drive (which is the fastest option) or to an external drive (like a USB) and if external whether USB 2.0 or 3.0. It will also depend on the presence of a SD card and how much total data is being transferred.

Bear in mind that you are backing up a total of 4 - 6 gig depending on maps and whether you have deleted extra voices, help files, etc.

I like to use the method described in Continuing Education: Backup Using ISO File found at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/36398 which takes me about 18 minutes for my 765.

Alternatively, a straight backup of files will take as much as 30 minutes.

WELL WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT.

Same update problem as before

Had he same update problem with 4.0.7.0 that I had with 4.0.5.0. Only this time the update would fail to complete downloading until I closed the application (and the background Garmin task if running) then opened the application back up and immediately before doing anything else within the application go into the settings and set Proxy Settings from Auto to Off. Then the 4.0.8.0 update would download and install properly.

Nope, didn't work for me

bennor3814 wrote:

Had he same update problem with 4.0.7.0 that I had with 4.0.5.0. Only this time the update would fail to complete downloading until I closed the application (and the background Garmin task if running) then opened the application back up and immediately before doing anything else within the application go into the settings and set Proxy Settings from Auto to Off. Then the 4.0.8.0 update would download and install properly.

I tried the proxy settings and everything but it still didn't work. I had the same problem when I went from 5 to 7. The only way I could download 4.0.7.0 was to use the link that someone supplied on the forum. If anyone has the current link to 4.0.8.0, I would appreciate it if you would throw it out there so that we can use it to update GE.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Try this for direct download link.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Same here.

maddog67 wrote:
bennor3814 wrote:

Had he same update problem with 4.0.7.0 that I had with 4.0.5.0. Only this time the update would fail to complete downloading until I closed the application (and the background Garmin task if running) then opened the application back up and immediately before doing anything else within the application go into the settings and set Proxy Settings from Auto to Off. Then the 4.0.8.0 update would download and install properly.

I tried the proxy settings and everything but it still didn't work. I had the same problem when I went from 5 to 7. The only way I could download 4.0.7.0 was to use the link that someone supplied on the forum. If anyone has the current link to 4.0.8.0, I would appreciate it if you would throw it out there so that we can use it to update GE.

Same problem here.Had to remove the old one and do a fresh install.Kept showing I had the latest update.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks so much

I just used this and had no trouble doing the update. Thanks again.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Thanks

Downloaded and installed.

Can't get 4.0.8.0 to work

Updated fine. Every time I try to check for updates gives error message that it cannot connect to servers. Proxy was set to off. Even tried setting to Auto. Made no difference. Uninstalled and redownloaded from the link in this thread. No luck.

--
Nuvi 760 Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT Garmin Streetpilot Onboard for iPhone

Fixed it by reconfiguring firewall

It is working okay now.

cagpsfan wrote:

Updated fine. Every time I try to check for updates gives error message that it cannot connect to servers. Proxy was set to off. Even tried setting to Auto. Made no difference. Uninstalled and redownloaded from the link in this thread. No luck.

--
Nuvi 760 Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT Garmin Streetpilot Onboard for iPhone

Try Closing GE program and running background service

maddog67 wrote:

I tried the proxy settings and everything but it still didn't work. I had the same problem when I went from 5 to 7. The only way I could download 4.0.7.0 was to use the link that someone supplied on the forum. If anyone has the current link to 4.0.8.0, I would appreciate it if you would throw it out there so that we can use it to update GE.

But did you try closing the GE program and its associated background service that runs even when the GE program is closed? With 4.0.5.0 I didn't have to close the GE program and kill the background service prior to changing the proxy setting to off, with 4.0.7.0 I had to close the GE program AND kill the background service, then relaunch the GE program and before doing anything else in the GE program set the Proxy Settings to Off then hit the update link and the GE program would then successfully download and install the update.

GE update

I just checked my GE and I had version 3.2.27.0. I can't believer that it was never updated.

Yep!

bennor3814 wrote:
maddog67 wrote:

I tried the proxy settings and everything but it still didn't work. I had the same problem when I went from 5 to 7. The only way I could download 4.0.7.0 was to use the link that someone supplied on the forum. If anyone has the current link to 4.0.8.0, I would appreciate it if you would throw it out there so that we can use it to update GE.

But did you try closing the GE program and its associated background service that runs even when the GE program is closed? With 4.0.5.0 I didn't have to close the GE program and kill the background service prior to changing the proxy setting to off, with 4.0.7.0 I had to close the GE program AND kill the background service, then relaunch the GE program and before doing anything else in the GE program set the Proxy Settings to Off then hit the update link and the GE program would then successfully download and install the update.

I tried it both ways. I normally don't have GE running in the background. I first tried it with GE background turned off. No luck. Then I tried with it turned on. Still no luck. Then I turned it back off. Nada! Zilch! Everything went fine though when I used the link. Strange program. Maybe they will get it fixed eventually.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Thanks.

Downloaded from the above link and installed. Was the only way I could update it.

--
GPSmap76Cx handheld, Nuvi 2557LMT, Nuvfi 2598LMTHD

Virus alert

I did the latest update to GE but now my anti virus program (AVG running on Widows 7) keeps telling me that the auto update on Garmin Express is a virus and keeps trying to delete the program.
The program itself runs and updates my units just fine. Any ideas?

--
Nuvi2797LMT (2) Nuvi260,Ford Sync3 Navigation. Captain Cook was a Yorkshire man too.

Thanks

Will be downloading...

Try This

bpaine wrote:

I did the latest update to GE but now my anti virus program (AVG running on Widows 7) keeps telling me that the auto update on Garmin Express is a virus and keeps trying to delete the program.
The program itself runs and updates my units just fine. Any ideas?

Try uninstalling AVG and re-installing. Had a similar program start telling me that a program had a virus, but I had been using that program for years and it hadn't changed. The support folks told me to do that.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

snorton too

metricman wrote:
bpaine wrote:

I did the latest update to GE but now my anti virus program (AVG running on Widows 7) keeps telling me that the auto update on Garmin Express is a virus and keeps trying to delete the program.
The program itself runs and updates my units just fine. Any ideas?

Try uninstalling AVG and re-installing. Had a similar program start telling me that a program had a virus, but I had been using that program for years and it hadn't changed. The support folks told me to do that.

Norton's Sonar is also barfing om esu.exe

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

"Allow"

many antivirus programs have a way for you to tell the program that you want to "Allow" the particular program that it thinks is a problem.

Look for this option.

Thanks

Thanks guys, I'll give your suggestions a try.

--
Nuvi2797LMT (2) Nuvi260,Ford Sync3 Navigation. Captain Cook was a Yorkshire man too.

unblievable

I can't believe it has been over a week since 4.0.8.0 was released and no update yet.

just updated

Just updated Garmin Express on Windows 7 x64. It was uneventful. I am running Norton without a problem.

To be fair, I used the link above to download it from the Garmin site instead of upgrading within the program.

Settings were preserved with the update. It is set not to run in the background and not use a proxy server.

dobs108 smile

update

Just installed the update with no problems, thanks

What's GE?

Can I ask: What's GE?

GE = Garmin Express

Steevo wrote:

Can I ask: What's GE?

Garmin Express

As opposed to...

bennor3814 wrote:
Steevo wrote:

Can I ask: What's GE?

Garmin Express

...GMU = GarminMapUpdater

Oh, is that what updates the maps now?

bennor3814 wrote:
Steevo wrote:

Can I ask: What's GE?

Garmin Express

Oh, is that what updates the maps now?
I haven't done that in ages. But I don't have anything with free map updates.

geez

Almost every few day there is new version of Express, and it still doesn't work as it should. But old MapUpdater somehow works better, even if there is no updates for long time. So what kind of programmers Garmin is hiring those days?

Update happened and now to

Update happened and now to test on the 1490 and 780s...fear and dread!

OCD I think.

You have to wonder how many people update maps often.

There was someone here who liked to update the camera file every two weeks. Like there are that many changes!

That just seems excessive to me. OCD.