Updated nuvi 2595 maps to 2014.40 using GE successfully but lost my voice files and my voice command. Using GE, I updated my voice files to get it to work but freezes on me. I have to stop/close/interrupt the update (with a warning) and so I can try to update again. Big mistake! Now my nuvi will not start, it will only get to loading maps and freezes. Tried to reset but to no avail. PCs would not recognize the device. I have a back up copy but I can not restore if pc would not recognize it. It seems like the device driver is missing. Nothing happens when I connect it to the computer. Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You are not the only one that has been having problems losing voice files with the latest update. Use WebUpdater and restore them from Garmin. Of course, it would have helped if you had backed up your unit before updating.
However he states " I have a back up copy but I can not restore if pc would not recognize it. It seems like the device driver is missing. Nothing happens when I connect it to the computer."
What does one do if the computer does not recognize the device?
If the device is in MTP mode which the newer units use by default rather than the more familiar device mode, then the mode needs to be changed using the maintenance screens. There are instructions on POI-Factory and Garmin's website about how to change the mode.
Thanks for the replies.. but I can not get my nuvi to start. It could only get to the loading maps and freezes. I can not get to the to the maintenance screen part.
One more victim on using GE.I never use it never will,not today not tomorrow This GE junk software will never enter my pc.
I raccomend calling garmin and tell them the problem will assist you on downloading again and start from a fresh clean installation from the garmin web site.
My sister Gps crash it she called Garmin and they made her download again like a new factory state condition.
Agree! NEVER EVER use Garmin Express! N-E-V-E-R
GE created the problem so Garmin should fix it!
"should" is the operative word here. I suspect Garmin will offer to replace the unit. But I agree with the others that you should call Garmin support. Call them, don't try to use the email support.
Thanks everyone. I will call Garmin support tomorrow.
Nuvi 2595 fix but no help from garmin support. Called garmin support this morning and they can repair/replace nuvi for $$$...I can buy a new nuvi 2595 lmtHD for $30 more at Costco. I found a software called GarminCure3 from GpsPasSion forum and used Updater.exe from garmin to flash my nuvi. I created a cured rgn file from my backup gupdate.gcd file to flash the unit so nuvi would be visible on the computer. Then I copied my backup files to the nuvi drive but that did not work right away. It still would not boot, it just turns on and and then turns off. Then I created an original rgn file from my gupdate.gcd file and again flash it.. That did the trick. There could be a better way to do it but this was on a trial and error mode. I updated my maps using GE again and updated my voice files using web updater.
Glad to hear it's working again.
Just curious, when you backed up the files after the Nuvi was reconized by your PC, did that include copying back your backed up GUPDATE.GCD file?
If you did and it didn't work, I may be wrong, but I suspect it had something to do with your Gamin Device.xml file that was looking for a different gupdate.gcd file.
Yes I copied all the files from my back up, GUPDATE.GCD included. To my understanding, once the Nuvi is recognized by my PC then I can update my firmware using Web Updater or Garmin Express but that did not work. I have to create an original rgn from my back up GUPDATE.GCD using GarminCure3 and flash my Nuvi again.
Although applying the GarminCure3 method may be challenging to some individuals, it has saved many a GPS from being scrapped. Always nice to hear a success story.
Thanks for the tip about GarminCure3. I just downloaded it and added to my s/w collection.
Same thing happened to me with GE having allowed it to update a couple of voice files on my 3790LMT. When it went to test the unit there was only one voice left that I have no idea what it was and when I checked there was only one voice left in the directory. restored the voices from my backup and then updated with WebUpdater and all is working fine again. Got rid of GE in my computer and will only use MapUpdater stand alone.
Garmin Cure is a good to know about DVD_Guy. But just keep your fingers crossed that you never need to use it.
I did the update and now does not route to a new route if you not follow the original.
terms | privacy | contactCopyright © 2006-2020