Subway POI file corrupt? (adding file deletes other POIs)

 

Has anyone suffered from the Subway POI file? If I load this on to my NUVI 2595, any existing POI information is gone. I normally have Dunkin Donuts and Rest-stops; adding the Subway file deletes all POI info. If I load the Subway by itself - after removing all other POI files - it does not work.
Thanks!

Welcome, first poster!

When running POI Loader, do you accept the default file name for the POIs when loaded to the nuvi (poi.gpi)? If so, each time you run POI Loader, the earlier file will be overwritten--and if your second POI Loader run installs only Subway, you will lose all earlier POIs.

If this is what's happening, there are two solutions:

1) When loading a new POI file (Subway) to your device, also load all of your earlier files again (DD and Rest Areas). This is what I do. In this case, you'll be loading Subway, DD, and Rest Areas to a single file on the nuvi.

2) When loading a new POI file with POI Loader, select a new filename to be installed to the nuvi so that the older installed POIs are not overwritten. This will result in multiple gpi files on your nuvi. Note that this renaming is done within POI Loader and is not file renaming of the csv or gpx files on your computer. If this is what you're doing, installing the Subway file should have no effect on previously installed files, so something is going on with your procedure that needs to be resolved.

In any event, remember that POI files here at The Factory are oftentimes updated--MrKenFL's Rest Areas Combined file is updated several times a year. So each time you see a revision to a file you have installed, you will want to download and install the new file--and depending on your file naming procedure (1 and 2, above), you may be overwriting the older versions.

By itself???

willy-c wrote:

Has anyone suffered from the Subway POI file? If I load this on to my NUVI 2595, any existing POI information is gone. I normally have Dunkin Donuts and Rest-stops; adding the Subway file deletes all POI info. If I load the Subway by itself - after removing all other POI files - it does not work.
Thanks!

@willy-c, CraigW has given you good advice about how to use POI Loader.

I was, however, drawn to your comment about (in my re-ordering)
what you did by
1) removing all other POI files
2) loading Subway by itself
3) Subway not working

AND, I am making an assumption the Rest Areas and Dunkin Donuts were working prior to the last load of Subway.

Since you are relatively new here, we need to get some more information on what went on.

On the 2595, concerning the Dunkin Donuts, were you able to do Where To? > Categories > [down arrow 3 times] > Custom Pois > and see a screen that had "All Categories" at the top and then entries for Rest Areas and/or Dunkin Donuts and then get to 50 closest entries as-the-crow-flies?

How are you removing all other POI files? By using POI Loader or deleting them when attached to your computer?

You probably know this but you point POI Loader to a Folder which contains the POI files (.csv or .gpx extensions) (or one level of sub-folders with POI files) which you wish to load onto your unit.

As Craig has indicated, the later POI Loader versions let you "name" the .gpi file that will be created but may default to poi.gpi. Do you recall what, if any, name you asked POI Loader to use for the Subway file?

When you attach your unit to the computer (I am assuming a PC), you can look at the [nuvi]/POI/ folder to see if there are any .gpi files and determine their names.

By the way, the latest POI Loader comes from
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99...

Let us know.

Welcome to the site

Subway POI File corrupt?

Sorry for the delay; other matters had my attention. I can load both DD and Rest-Stop POIs either as differently named files, or in one operation. (Thanks for your "welcome", thoughts & directions). I decided to deal with the Subway file by itself as that file only was the problem. In all cases I used POIloader to remove any previously installed file to insure a "clean POI file load", including a shut-down between operations (I found later that this was not necessary).
I also verified the file format was correct (number of digits before and after decimal point), and didn't see any glaring issues. I used Notepad to look at the file as sometimes Excel will re-format numbers with trailing zeros.
Still haven't found the problem! Thanks, Will

An experiment

willy-c wrote:

Sorry for the delay; other matters had my attention. I can load both DD and Rest-Stop POIs either as differently named files, or in one operation. (Thanks for your "welcome", thoughts & directions). I decided to deal with the Subway file by itself as that file only was the problem. In all cases I used POIloader to remove any previously installed file to insure a "clean POI file load", including a shut-down between operations (I found later that this was not necessary).
I also verified the file format was correct (number of digits before and after decimal point), and didn't see any glaring issues. I used Notepad to look at the file as sometimes Excel will re-format numbers with trailing zeros.
Still haven't found the problem! Thanks, Will

Ah, thanks for getting back to us.

First, can we assume that your issue is with the POI Factory's Subway sandwich file for the USA? (And therefore not the Canadian Subway sandwich restaurant file and not any of the "transportation subways" files?)

I don't have a solution, but I do have some test results:

With my nuvi 750 and my current 13 POI files (not including Subway locations) with 196,892 locations, all of my Custom POIs can be installed, seen, and used on the nuvi and used.

When I add the Subway USA POI file:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/30506

and then install all 14 POI files, I succeed in loading the 14 files and 219,105 locations. After disconnecting my nuvi 750 from the computer and turning on the nuvi 750, then going to my Custom POIs in Extras, I find that I can see, use, and route myself to all of the loaded locations.

So for my experiment, adding the (US) Subway csv file from The Factory to my set of Custom POIs allows me to see and route myself to a Subway franchise--and also it does not remove any of my other Custom POIs.

My conclusion is that there's something very odd going on in your situation--or more likely, there's something you're doing that we have all overlooked which has created your problem.

In any event, my tests have shown that I can install the US Subway sandwich POI file (csv, not Tom Tom) to my assortment of other POI files and all will work--both the Subway Custom POI can let me see and Go To my nearest Subway, AND the installation of the US Subway csv Custom POI does not result in my losing all other loaded Custom POIs.

Therefore it seems that one or more of my assumptions is wrong and you need to tell me where I've erred, namely in:

-my assumption of the Subway POI file you're using that has created your problem

-the procedure you're using to load Custom POIs (file names, ???)

-???

Your posts indicate that you're quite experienced with working with computers--more so than for even the average POI Factory user--so I wonder if there's something else that you're tweaking or doing that none of us have realized and that this is the issue creating your problem.

My conclusion is that something odd is going on here--or that you're doing something that we haven't realized which is the issue and that this is the cause of your problem and is also needlessly complicating your installation of Custom POIs. In any event, I'm convinced that there's no problem with the POI Factory's US Subway restaurant Custom POI file.

Both Subway Files OK

Like Craig, I thought I would check the Subway file. Indeed, just to cover all the bases, I loaded both the US and the Canada versions. Together, they added 24,899 points to the Custom POIs on a 2455.

Also like Craig In any event, I'm convinced that there's no problem with the POI Factory's US Subway restaurant Custom POI file.

problem file

willy-c wrote:

Has anyone suffered from the Subway POI file? If I load this on to my NUVI 2595, any existing POI information is gone. I normally have Dunkin Donuts and Rest-stops; adding the Subway file deletes all POI info. If I load the Subway by itself - after removing all other POI files - it does not work.
Thanks!

In have that same file on my 2597 and have had it for some time. No problems with it. Not really sure the root of your problem has been made known yet. Try doing this to give us some direction to go in. Make a folder called My Pois. Click on it and put the 3 files in it. Now run poiloader and once you get to location of file select My pois folder.Not a custom poi name. Let us know the results.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Subway POI file corrupt?

Hi Y'All,
I have been busy "draining the swamp", hence the delay (no 'gator bites!). I have split the file into two and I will load each half individually to see if I can isolate the issue, and then - if I find a problem - split THAT file again...and again.
Yes, it is the USA file.
If I load ONLY the Subway file (and remove all other files first), the problem is still there, so I will go work on this - wish me luck.

Info please.

willy-c wrote:

Hi Y'All,
I have been busy "draining the swamp", hence the delay (no 'gator bites!). I have split the file into two and I will load each half individually to see if I can isolate the issue, and then - if I find a problem - split THAT file again...and again.
Yes, it is the USA file.
If I load ONLY the Subway file (and remove all other files first), the problem is still there, so I will go work on this - wish me luck.

@willy-c,
a number of us are convinced that there should be no problem loading the Subway files from poi-factory. We are wondering what is causing you to have problems.

Do you have a PC or a Mac.

If a PC, what operating system are you using?

What version of POI Loader are you using? - right-click on the words "POI Loader" in the upper left corner and select "About POI Loader".

We ask this, because early versions of POILoader created an output file that was always named poi.gpi (and would therefore REPLACE the results of previous runs of POILoader).

We suggest this version
http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99...

Are you loading the .csv files from poi-factory without any modifications? Several of us have downloaded the files and immediately loaded them to our units without problems.

No problems

I've been using the Subway POI for a long time and never had any problems.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Hi Jgermann, Lets see..

Hi Jgermann,
Lets see.. Using Dell PC, with XPP, latest updates, version 2.7.2.0 of POI Loader, Garmin 2595LM GPS.
So far, the first 5,000 lines of the CSV file will load, and display, but not the second 5000 (these are now separate files). I have not looked at the remaining 15,000 - odd lines.
I "see" the GPI file in the POI folder on the GPS, so it is going there, but it seems like the GPS doesn't read it or interpret it correctly.
I also used "Extra POI Editor", and that program makes me believe that my CSV file is OK, as it does interpret & display the Subway locations correctly.
I'm almost ready to give up... sad

try this

Create a folder on your PC and put only the Subway CSV file into it. Run POI Loader against this folder and see if it loads. If it doesn't, then it will report the number of records read and this is were you are seeing a problem. As noted, you are the only one having this problem, so it has to be related to your PC or procedure.

--
"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid."

Not quite sure yet.

willy-c wrote:

Hi Jgermann,
Lets see.. Using Dell PC, with XPP, latest updates, version 2.7.2.0 of POI Loader, Garmin 2595LM GPS.
So far, the first 5,000 lines of the CSV file will load, and display, but not the second 5000 (these are now separate files). I have not looked at the remaining 15,000 - odd lines.
I "see" the GPI file in the POI folder on the GPS, so it is going there, but it seems like the GPS doesn't read it or interpret it correctly.
I also used "Extra POI Editor", and that program makes me believe that my CSV file is OK, as it does interpret & display the Subway locations correctly.
I'm almost ready to give up... sad

You should do what Box Car indicates. If there is a failure, it is critical that you tell us the record that POI Loader failed on because it will have loaded the rest.

The reason we want you to do only one folder that has only one file is to eliminate other factors.

I am confused by your use of the word "load" as in only the first 5000 will "load". "Load" into what??

We are assuming POI Loader but when you say "Load and display" it is throwing us off.

Please do this.
1) download the Subway file from here
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/30506

(a) when you click on the "CSV" button, put the download into a new folder (NOT AN EXISTING ONE, sorry to shout but that is important to us)

(b) remember the path to this new folder

(c) Do not do anything at all to the download. Do not open it or try to look at it.

(d) note that we want you to do the download anew, because we do not know what might have happened to the one you downloaded originally

2) hook your nuvi to your PC

3) Run POI Loader
(a) point POI Loader to the folder into which you placed subwayok.csv by using the path that you wrote down in Step 1b above

(b) let POI Loader finish and report any and all messages.

Please report

Boy that Crow is Yummy!

To make a long story short:
When I first loaded the Reststop POIs, and later the Dunkin POIs, they would properly display in BaseCamp, so I was using this as a bench mark. Ah-Ha! Grasshopper reports to Master that Grasshopper was misdirected. The problem is that I THOUGHT BaseCamp was a representation of the GPS - NOT SO.
Yesterday, I loaded all three POI files - the Rest Stop POIs, the Dunkin POIs and the Subway POIs in one load process. This AM, on my way to work, I can see the Icons for everything.
Bottom line: thanks for all the help. The real problem is BaseCamp. Got any salt for this Crow?

It is a learning process

Glad you are working. Thanks for the report

Lots of us have had experiences like yours.