Montreal - Only Highway traffic info on Nuvi 2360

 

Hi,

IM living in Montreal (Qc) and I have my Nuvi 2360LMT since ~2 years and traffic information in only for highways. Do you know if there's any chance that one day we can get traffic info for other streets as well?

thanks!

To the

To the best of my knowledge the Navteq traffic you are using (now called Live Traffic or Garmin Traffic) with your Nuvi only covers highways and possibly a few other streets, but probably only in major US cities. I don't believe in Canada there is any coverage other than on highways.

Some new Garmin models now use HD traffic:

HD Digital Traffic receives updates up to every 30 seconds, making it up to 10 times faster than other traffic systems. That means, driving 60 mph, your nüvi 3597LMTHD is able to receive traffic messages up to every half-mile. On the road, a few seconds’ notice can save minutes or even hours of delay.

HD Digital Traffic has a greater coverage area to include interstates, highways and secondary roads — in fact, up to 3 times more side road coverage. HD Digital Traffic has the capacity to receive significantly more traffic messages. That valuable information can help you decide whether to stay the course or find another route. HD Digital Traffic is dedicated traffic information and it’s free — no distracting advertising and no subscription fees, ever.

Currently HD traffic is only available in certain US cities, with no coverage in Canada.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

thanks

thank you for your reply. I wuld have been interested in this new HD traffic, but I guess I'll have to wait for it to be available in Canada. Highway traffic is good, it's just frustating to have Google Maps on cell phone with ALL the information, on only basic traffic info on the GPS!
I don't like using my cell phone as a GPS, I need it for a lot of other things.

Anyway, thanks again.

Traffic Coverage in Western Canada

I drive throughout Alberta and have found that there is essentially NO traffic coverage on my 3790 LMT.

I have received the "Traffic Ahead" announcement when I'm about 50 kilometers outside of Calgary or Edmonton, but I think that's only compared to the rural highways I normally drive.

I've driven into Calgary at rush hours on different routes but didn't receive any other announcements. Including when there was a major tie-up due to a serious accident.

Although the Garmin web site indicates there is traffic coverage for the larger urban centres in Canada, I think it is better to listen to a local radio station.

is your traffic subscription provider, Navteq or Clear Channel?

Who is your traffic subscription provider, Navteq or Clear Channel?

It may be completely different in Canada but here in Tucson the traffic receiver I had with Clear Channel traffic subscription only gave me info for freeway traffic but the receiver I have with the Navteq subscription has far better coverage and includes the major city streets also.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Clear Channel

Clear Channel only covers Toronto and Vancouver in Canada (according to their website) and it's a premium service you have to pay for.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Traffic Subscriptions

t923347 wrote:

Clear Channel only covers Toronto and Vancouver in Canada (according to their website) and it's a premium service you have to pay for.

I have both Clear Channel & Navteq in the NY area on my 2460LMT. As far as I'm concerned they both suck.
You can have both subscriptions on the same Nuvi, it will pull in the stronger channel in the area you are in. Can't count the times I see the red icon and I'm travelling normally. Then sometimes it shows green, and I'm not moving an inch.

I diasbled traffic and listen to the radio.
I don't know how well the units with HD traffic perform, but it has to better than the regular FM traffic broadcasts.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

HD traffic

muell9k wrote:

...I have both Clear Channel & Navteq in the NY area on my 2460LMT. As far as I'm concerned they both suck.
You can have both subscriptions on the same Nuvi, it will pull in the stronger channel in the area you are in. Can't count the times I see the red icon and I'm travelling normally. Then sometimes it shows green, and I'm not moving an inch.
I don't know how well the units with HD traffic perform, but it has to better than the regular FM traffic broadcasts.

Similar experience with GTM25/35. In the SF Bay Area, the Clear Channel appears to have more towers and stronger signals. Navteq, however, has better more accurate traffic information, still off by quite a few minutes on the free way. I guess that is as good as it can do, since it get updated only once every 5-10 minutes.

I now also have a GTM60 (HD) with my 2495. It does provide decent traffic information for the Freeways, usually about 1 minute off during commute hours.

The HD traffic also provides a large number of traffic conditions for the local streets. But they are mostly misses than hits. I use that information as a reference to see what local streets are most likely to get clogged, rather than the real time (non) information.

P.S. by the way, AFAIK, the 24x0 series are not compatible with HD traffic. sad

Canadian GPS, access to US traffic?

One more question: I'm planning to travel to USA this summer, will my canadian GPS display traffic in major US cities? (mainly NYC and Washington DC)

Thanks!

How to know?

rjrsw wrote:

Who is your traffic subscription provider, Navteq or Clear Channel?

It may be completely different in Canada but here in Tucson the traffic receiver I had with Clear Channel traffic subscription only gave me info for freeway traffic but the receiver I have with the Navteq subscription has far better coverage and includes the major city streets also.

How can I know?

Mine does

mehcoib wrote:

One more question: I'm planning to travel to USA this summer, will my canadian GPS display traffic in major US cities? (mainly NYC and Washington DC)

Thanks!

I purchased mine in the US (2555LMT) with NAVTEQ traffic.
I can also see traffic in Canada on all major routes. It would seem that if you have NAVTEQ you should also have traffic in the US.

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem quickly resembles a nail. (Maslow's Hammer)

Navteq/Clear Channel

mehcoib wrote:
rjrsw wrote:

Who is your traffic subscription provider, Navteq or Clear Channel?

It may be completely different in Canada but here in Tucson the traffic receiver I had with Clear Channel traffic subscription only gave me info for freeway traffic but the receiver I have with the Navteq subscription has far better coverage and includes the major city streets also.

How can I know?

You should have Navteq, assuming you are using the included free-life-time traffic with you 2360. I believe you get Clear Channel only if you buy the subscription.

The Navteq traffic should work in the US. See the coverage map (Garmin Traffic)
http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/

You can double check. With the 2360 powered by the traffic cable: Main screen --> tools --> settings --> (scroll down) traffic --> subscriptions.

More details are available by accessing the hidden developer's menu. Again, make sure the 2360 is powered by the traffic cable:

1. Open the master volume control.
2. Press the upper right corner of screen for ~10 sec. A menu should appear.
3. select "Developer Info"
4. Scroll down one page and select "GTM Status" and "GTM FM Table". (This part might be different depending on the firmware version you have). It should show the traffic providers and various other information that you have with the 2360.

Only if.... *sigh*

Only if somehow I can receive Google Traffic on my Garmin.. and NO, I DON'T WANNA USE MY ANDROID PHONE AS A GPS UNIT.

2360LMT is not compatible

2360LMT is not compatible with Smartphone Link; otherwise the compatible models can be subscribe to Live Traffic (one time subscription of $19.99) - It receives more updates (every 2 minutes) and covers highways and some major roads (probably 15% more coverage). Using that app; you can also send a destination from your phone to the Garmin unit.

agree

gpsomnia wrote:

Only if somehow I can receive Google Traffic on my Garmin.. and NO, I DON'T WANNA USE MY ANDROID PHONE AS A GPS UNIT.

Agree and agree wink