Extra POI Editor comes up blank

 

As of today, Extra POI Editor doesn't appear in Win 7 when launched. The icon shows up in the taskbar, but nothing on the main screen. If I hover over the toolbar icon, the application preview shows up, but the application area is blank.

Any fixes? This is the main application I use to build POI files for our trips. Help!!!

.

Make sure all instances of EPE are closed, then hold the [Shift] key down while launching EPE again. That should reset the window position.

Sounds like it has been moved outside the desktop

Windows 7 has a feature that should help. Click the icon in the taskbar to ensure that the program has focus. Then hold down the Windows key and press the right-arrow a few times. That should move the window across your screens and eventually bring it back onto the screen that is still active.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Well I'll be ....

rjrsw wrote:

Windows 7 has a feature that should help. Click the icon in the taskbar to ensure that the program has focus. Then hold down the Windows key and press the right-arrow a few times. That should move the window across your screens and eventually bring it back onto the screen that is still active.

Don't know why EPE did not work when I tried to open it after I read this, but it did not. I could see the icon in the task bar but not the window. I followed the instructions above and got the window in view and then drug it to where I wanted it.

Note that I use the "portable" version 5.32. This means that there is an "EPE.ini" in the folder from which the shortcut executes the program. In this "EPE.ini" file there are several entries that begin with "Win". The ones that determine where the main screen opens are"
Win_List_Top= 100
Win_List_Left= 300

At one time when I was having a problem with an installed version of EPE, Turbocc said to do this:

Quote:

To clear the registry and start fresh, just type the following text in a DOS box (type “cmd” in the Start Run button): “extra_poi_editor –reset” (without the double quotes).

There is a FAQ on this Issue

VersatileGuy has an excellent discussion of this issue in a FAQ he submitted: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/38052.

He even explains the cause of the issue: "EPE saves its window location in the registry. If those values point to a location that is off the screen (or is otherwise invalid) then the application window cannot be seen."

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

@selfruler

selfruler wrote:

VersatileGuy has an excellent discussion of this issue in a FAQ he submitted: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/38052.

Thanks! (I had forgotten about that....)

.

jgermann wrote:

At one time when I was having a problem with an installed version of EPE, Turbocc said to do this:

Quote:

To clear the registry and start fresh, just type the following text in a DOS box (type “cmd” in the Start Run button): “extra_poi_editor –reset” (without the double quotes).

With the most recent version of EPE you don't need to do that any more because Turbo added the option to accomplish the same thing by holding the [Shift] key down during startup (at my suggestion).

Well I'll be double darned...

VersatileGuy wrote:

...
With the most recent version of EPE you don't need to do that any more because Turbo added the option to accomplish the same thing by holding the [Shift] key down during startup (at my suggestion).

I thought you were describing something that Win 7 would do for any program, but if it is unique to EPE, then you came up with a great idea.

Good show!!!!

Shifty solution

Well, the Shift key did the trick. Now I can launch it normally after using the Shift key one time.

I wonder how it ended up off the screen on a laptop that only has one screen?

Thanks for the tips!

.

alangard wrote:

I wonder how it ended up off the screen on a laptop that only has one screen?

My experience suggests that the saved window location can get messed up if you right-click on the taskbar icon and choose "Close" instead of using...

File > Exit

...from the EPE menu.