new & interesting places for your GPS

nüvi 13xx and 14xx Firmware Version 5.90 is out

 

Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:
* Fixed a bug that caused traffic data to not appear on the map.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4551

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Thanks for the heads up!

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

Changes made from version 5.80 to 5.90:
* Fixed a bug that caused traffic data to not appear on the map.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4551

I've wondered why my traffic data was being reported sporadically. Now I know.

--
Garmin nuvi 1490T, 1450T, 2555LMT, 660, 77;, too many, really.

Thanks

Downloading & Installing as I type !
And updating database for Traffic also !

--
MrKenFL- "Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." NUVI 260, Nuvi 1490LMT & Nuvi 2595LMT all with 2014.4 maps !

That was a quick update.

Hats off to our new COW for the tip.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Thanks

It seems okay.

I wonder what the conditions were

I never noticed a lack of traffic information.

Crap...a COW and I didn't

Crap...a COW and I didn't even KNOW IT???

I need to visit this site more often than I already do. grin

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Here We Go

Thanks for the info, and congrats on your COW. Downloading now. Will see how traffic looks tomorrow a.m.

--
Nüvi 2595LMT, nüvi 760, TomTom START 45M, Galaxy Nexus

Update..

Thanks for the info. smile

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

Thanks

Downloading now.

I wait

I will wait until it all good with no bug since mine is working ok now.

You'll never get a totally

You'll never get a totally bug-free firmware. However, if you don't use a traffic receiver the update realistically is optional. I applied it anyway despite not having a traffic receiver.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Got mine updated on 1350T.

Got mine updated on 1350T. Works fine, didn't notice any differences or fixes.

--
Garmin Nuvi 1350T, Garmin GPSMap 76

agree

about time they fixed this!

--
"real achievement in life comes down to three key elements. preparation, timing and execution!" quote by president LBJ

Thanks! It was strange

Thanks! It was strange though that it had to reboot twice.

On further check. Don't!

I tried it yesterday on my 1490. Didn't get any traffic information for over 1/2 hour. When it did come on only had the green ball for the whole trip from south of Fort Worth to Dallas Love Field and return. That is almost impossible for the DFW area. It has been on for over 15 minutes now and nothing. No green ball.

JUST ANOTHER GARMIN GREAT FIX!

EDIT

I tried a reinstall, after 15 minutes nothing. I wish I could downgrade.

Further EDIT

I just complained to Garmin on their support.

Thanks for the info

Thanks!

@ jjen

Hoping this will help resolve your problem....

Power your device on by connecting it to the traffic cable
Touch view map
Touch speed
Touch and hold the middle of the MPH speedometer
Touch next until the blue banner says either FM Table, GTM Tables, GTM Info
Touch reset
Touch yes
Touch quit
Touch back to return to the main menu.

Note that a hard reset is also highly recommended after a software upate.

Cheers !

--
Nüvi 255W born on 602117815/nüMaps Lifetime North America

No Joy

canuk wrote:

Hoping this will help resolve your problem....

Power your device on by connecting it to the traffic cable
Touch view map
Touch speed
Touch and hold the middle of the MPH speedometer
Touch next until the blue banner says either FM Table, GTM Tables, GTM Info
Touch reset
Touch yes
Touch quit
Touch back to return to the main menu.

Note that a hard reset is also highly recommended after a software upate.

Cheers !

I tried your procedure, including a hard reset. Same result.

Edit

I called Garmin. They said try it over the weekend and call back next Tuesday if it isn't working. evil

5.90 Good After 2 Days

Morning/evening (and in-between) traffic in Toronto shows up consistently now.

--
Nüvi 2595LMT, nüvi 760, TomTom START 45M, Galaxy Nexus

Traffic Problem Remains

It will connect sometimes, but most of the time it won't. I have tried multiple resets. I never had a problem before this "FIX". evil

It appears that this may be reduction in receiver sensitivity.

Firmware update

Thanks for the information

Thanks

The install to my Nuvi 1350 went as expected.

Thanks
Fred

Traffic Not Displaying

Thanks Strephon_Alkhalikoi,

I have had all long trips the last few weeks since picking up the 1450LMT. I have seen the green, yellow and red icons show but the traffic was always green before I reached it location until yesterday returning home. I thought it was strange the traffic map didn't show the yellow and red lines and was going to search and/or post the question today.

Thanks for the info. Now go read all the good things being said about you. Enjoy your COW!

--
Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts & 1450LMT | 2005 Harley Road King, Black Cherry Pearl / Black Pearl

Traffic reporting still does not work

Some time ago my 1490 quit showing the red and yellow highlights on the traffic map even though I will get a "Traffic Ahead" message. This update did absolutely nothing to solve that issue.

I also have done a hard reset.

At his time I am about to give up on the 1490. Even if Garmin were to offer me another replacement even though it is well beyond the warranty period, I'm not about to invest the $10 it would cost to send it back. Its been the most unreliable unit I've ever owned, even going back to my original GPS III+. It very frequently reboots and on several occasions gives me a message that it cannot route to a point.

The last time I used it I was in commuter traffic in downtown Boston, it was raining and it was dark out, and I did not know the area. It then rebooted causing me to miss a critical turn. A half hour later it rebooted again, but this time I knew where I was. It later displayed the traffic ahead message, but would not show me where. It only tried to route me off of the interstate and onto a parallel road. Barring a major accident on the interstate, using the parallel road would have easily taken twice the time.

Garmin replaced my original unit under warranty for much the same reasons, plus an extremely short battery life (like about 10 minutes).

"

BobHy wrote:

Some time ago my 1490 quit showing the red and yellow highlights on the traffic map even though I will get a "Traffic Ahead" message. This update did absolutely nothing to solve that issue.

I also have done a hard reset.

At his time I am about to give up on the 1490. Even if Garmin were to offer me another replacement even though it is well beyond the warranty period, I'm not about to invest the $10 it would cost to send it back. Its been the most unreliable unit I've ever owned, even going back to my original GPS III+. It very frequently reboots and on several occasions gives me a message that it cannot route to a point.

The last time I used it I was in commuter traffic in downtown Boston, it was raining and it was dark out, and I did not know the area. It then rebooted causing me to miss a critical turn. A half hour later it rebooted again, but this time I knew where I was. It later displayed the traffic ahead message, but would not show me where. It only tried to route me off of the interstate and onto a parallel road. Barring a major accident on the interstate, using the parallel road would have easily taken twice the time.

Garmin replaced my original unit under warranty for much the same reasons, plus an extremely short battery life (like about 10 minutes).

Ditto!

It's rather rare but you got

@BobHy: It's rather rare but you got a bad unit when you bought the GPS, and you got a bad unit in return. You have my sympathy.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

.

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

@BobHy: It's rather rare but you got a bad unit when you bought the GPS, and you got a bad unit in return. You have my sympathy.

Sorry to disagree, but the 1490 is basically a lemon.

I've seen several remark to

I've seen several remark to that effect, but my 1490T has been working well for 2 years. I applied this update and everything still seems to be working fine. Like all electronic devices, on some sad day it will stop.

My 1490t

I am happy with my 1490 refurb. When we go to Kansas City next weekend, I will find out about the traffic info. I'm expecting bumper-to-bumper traffic next Sunday morning.
The Memphis traffic info was spot-on during our last two visits there.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Kvetching

perpster wrote:
Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

@BobHy: It's rather rare but you got a bad unit when you bought the GPS, and you got a bad unit in return. You have my sympathy.

Sorry to disagree, but the 1490 is basically a lemon.

My comment about the rarity is in regard to the fact he got a bad unit then got another bad unit from Garmin as a replacement. It was not a commentary on the quality of the unit. My comment about sympathy is because his is a hardware issue and not firmware and I believe his comments to be out of place in a thread announcing new firmware.

TL;DR: He used my thread to bitch about the quality of Garmin's hardware instead of finding an existing thread on the topic and posting there.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Agree

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

You'll never get a totally bug-free firmware. However, if you don't use a traffic receiver the update realistically is optional. I applied it anyway despite not having a traffic receiver.

Totally agree.

Software industry is probably the only industry that can intentionally sell you a defective product and get away with it. In fact, in the name of "upgrade", you are asked to shell out more money to pay them to fix the defect.

Ahhh

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:
perpster wrote:
Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

@BobHy: It's rather rare but you got a bad unit when you bought the GPS, and you got a bad unit in return. You have my sympathy.

Sorry to disagree, but the 1490 is basically a lemon.

My comment about the rarity is in regard to the fact he got a bad unit then got another bad unit from Garmin as a replacement. It was not a commentary on the quality of the unit. My comment about sympathy is because his is a hardware issue and not firmware and I believe his comments to be out of place in a thread announcing new firmware.

TL;DR: He used my thread to bitch about the quality of Garmin's hardware instead of finding an existing thread on the topic and posting there.

Ahhh, ok. Understood.

sponsored links