New Nuvi 3590LMT announced along with Smartphone Link for Android

 

It looks like Garmin has now introduced a couple of "Live" items.

The first is a new Nuvi, the 3590LMT, which is pretty much a 3490LMT with a 5" screen and includes the second "LIVE" product called Smartphone Link for Android.

The description of the new Nuvi is at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=96637 and the Smartphone Link service for Android phones at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=111441 . There is also a video on that link explaining the service.

Also note that with a firmware update, Nuvi models 2475LT, 2495LMT, 2595LMT, 3490LMT will also support the Smartphone Link service.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Nuvi 3590

I hope it will have the higher lever of details displayed like the 3790 instead of the 3490.

If so, I'd be very interested in this one.

I can't tell if it has the HD traffic like the 3490.

.

Support for the 3790 would be nice to see as well. Oh well...

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Unfortunately

Bluetooth-enabled 2012 Garmin nüvi required (nüvi 2475LT, 2495LMT, 2595LMT, 3490LMT and 3590LMT)

And an Android phone.

premium features are going to require an additional Subscription

Unfortunately most of the features of the smartphone link app are premium features and going to require an additional cost Subscription. They are also going to run up data costs for people without unlimited data plan on their Android phone.

"Free application available for Android

Bluetooth-enabled 2012 Garmin nüvi required (nüvi 2475LT, 2495LMT, 2595LMT, 3490LMT and 3590LMT)

Live Traffic*
PhotoLive Traffic Cameras*
Fuel Prices*
Advanced Weather*

*Not available in all areas. Subscription required."

Link to video about the new Smartphone app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62nxc0vD1mI&feature=player_em...

--
Garmin Drive Smart 55 - Samsung Note 10 Smartphone with Google Maps & HERE Apps

Nice, but not enough

Nice new features by Garmin but it doesn't look that they are providing any features beyond what my smartphone already gives me.

Hopefully they didn't take away some of the features available on the 3490 since Garmin has the habit of introducing new features but also eliminating previous features.

Gonna switch

I'm glad you posted this because I just bought the 3490 and I find the screen to be too small for my eyes. I'm flying out to Las Vegas tomorrow to go to CES so I'm definitely going to take a look at the bigger screen (3590) and verify that no features were changed/removed. I'm still within my 30 day window from Best Buy for the 3490 so I may make the switch when I come back.

Thanks.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP 60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT / Drivesmart 55 / GPSMAP 66st * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Maybe

It maybe available within your 30 day limit but Garmin of course has until the end of March to make the "1st Quarter" availability estimate. wink

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

they are identical as to the features

Preroll wrote:

I'm glad you posted this because I just bought the 3490 and I find the screen to be too small for my eyes. I'm flying out to Las Vegas tomorrow to go to CES so I'm definitely going to take a look at the bigger screen (3590) and verify that no features were changed/removed. I'm still within my 30 day window from Best Buy for the 3490 so I may make the switch when I come back.

Thanks.

According to the Garmin site comparison of the two models other than the screen size they are identical as to the features:

Comparison link:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=401&compareProduc...

--
Garmin Drive Smart 55 - Samsung Note 10 Smartphone with Google Maps & HERE Apps

Will Check @ CES Booth

t923347 wrote:

It maybe available within your 30 day limit but Garmin of course has until the end of March to make the "1st Quarter" availability estimate. wink

I'm going to ask them at the CES booth RE: a valid release date. If it's not within the 30 days, I won't mind the wait. I still haven't sold my old 765T which is a backup until I do the permanent switch.

I too did the Garmin comparison chart. All the same stuff as the 3490 except for the size and the Android link but that does me no good since I have a Blackberry but I do have a Xoom tablet w/Wi-Fi but that setup would be ridiculous (LOL)!

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP 60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT / Drivesmart 55 / GPSMAP 66st * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

did I miss something?

when I looked at the comparison of 3490 & 3590 on the Garmin site I saw

model 3490 3590
screen 4.3 5.0
orientation H H or V
Price $400 $400
everything else is the same

So why would anyone buy a 3490?????

wonder what the RAM is in it?

wonder what the RAM is in it?

Effer mind...duplicate

Effer mind...duplicate messaGE.

Another video from CES

Another video from CES demoing the smartphone link app:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/garmin-nuvi-3590lmt-hands...

Premium services: live

Premium services:

live traffic – $19.99 annually
photoLive traffic images – $9.99 annually
(basic weather free) Advanced weather – $4.99 annually
Fuel prices – $9.99 annually

Reviews

Has Garmin given out the 3590LMT for official reviews yet?

Also does the Digital 3D Traffic will work in New York?

Works in NY

easygoin wrote:

Has Garmin given out the 3590LMT for official reviews yet?

Also does the Digital 3D Traffic will work in New York?

I have a 3490 and the 3D traffic does work here in NY.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP 60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT / Drivesmart 55 / GPSMAP 66st * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Traffic accuracy

Do you find the 3D traffic information more realtime? My Nuvi 765 seems to be out of date as I drive through good moving traffic and it has my road highlighted as yellow.

Better than the 765T was.

easygoin wrote:

Do you find the 3D traffic information more realtime? My Nuvi 765 seems to be out of date as I drive through good moving traffic and it has my road highlighted as yellow.

I used to have the 765T. It's better than the 765T was but still not quite as up to date as say Google maps traffic. However, I've seen other times where it was reversed and the HD traffic was more accurate than Google but it's usually the other way around and better than the old 765T.

--
Garmin: GPSIII / StreetPilot / StreetPilot Color Map / StreetPilot III / StreetPilot 2610 / GPSMAP 60CSx / Nuvi 770 / Nuvi 765T / Nuvi 3490LMT / Drivesmart 55 / GPSMAP 66st * Pioneer: AVIC-80 / N3 / X950BH

Haha

Juggernaut wrote:

Support for the 3790 would be nice to see as well. Oh well...

And you didn't want the 3790 in the first place, you were happy with the 775, just like i was with the 765.
Mine busted but yours still works. But like I predicted.....just a matter of time and you went out and got the 3790.....lol. The 3590 sure looks tempting. Tell you what! This time I wait for you to get it first. Don't tell me your not interested, cause I heard you say that the last time. Craigslist here i come...lol

--
2 DriveSmart 65's - We do not live in Igloo's and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

.

Hard to justify buying it, bud. I've only had the 3790 since October. I got the 775T 25 months before that. I still have a while to go! wink

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Mem size

visiter555 wrote:

wonder what the RAM is in it?

Garmin reported the newer 24xx, 25xx and 34xx series to have ~7 GB of memory. One member, Chizad, reported that his diag screen said 8GB.

I can only guess that the 3590 also has 8GB.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

Justify???

Juggernaut wrote:

Hard to justify buying it,bud.

Where does that word come into play? Are you saying we need to "justify" upgrading these toys? No way Bud. I buy the toys and head straight into the Dog House. sad

--
2 DriveSmart 65's - We do not live in Igloo's and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

.

Please turn in your man card immediately. wink

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Cool

bear007 wrote:

I can only guess that the 3590 also has 8GB.
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34375

That would be fantastic.

$399 Price

Anyone find the 3590LMT model cheaper than $399?

May be it sounds naive, but...

If you have an Android smartphone, do you really need a GPS?

--
erweb

No cheaper links yet

Still hovering at $399.

Hoping they release this soon, looking forward to playing with it.

Released?

Has the 3590LMT starting shipping to customer's yet or has a release date not been established?

Need or Want

Need has nothing do with it. It's a want. smile I wonder if this is the wave of the future, with Escort Live having social media for their radar detectors. I guess only time will tell.

Only in someone else's car do I use the Droid X for nav duty

erweb wrote:

If you have an Android smartphone, do you really need a GPS?

I have a Droid X Android smartphone and for normal everyday navigation use I go with my built in GM unit first, one of my Garmin's would be my second choice and only for occasional use when out of the vehicle or in someone else's car do I use the Droid X for nav duty.

--
Garmin Drive Smart 55 - Samsung Note 10 Smartphone with Google Maps & HERE Apps

Smartphone Link Pros and Cons

I have a 3490LMT and installed the Smart Link on the first day it was available. I am connected to a Motorola Droid 2 using Verizon Wireless in the Washington Area.

In general, this app plugs many of the holes that are no longer available since MSN Direct went out of service (e.g. fuel prices, weather, some of send to GPS). Note that there are a menu of services available via Smart Link, each for an additional annual subscription.

Pros:
1. Where I live in the outer suburbs of Washington DC (Northern Virginia), the old MSN Direct signal coverage was non-existent until you got closer to the beltway. The HD Radio traffic service built in to the 3490 LMT has the same coverage problems. Smart Link fixes this problem as it uses my phone's data service via Bluetooth and has instant traffic coverage (for $19.99 a year).
2. The Fuel prices feature works great (for an additional annual subscription fee), except it adds an icon instead of replacing the existing fuel station icon, thus potentially causing confusion.
3. The weather feature is significantly enhanced in that not only does it provide weather forecasts and warnings, but also it displsy animated weather radar.
4. There is a quasi-send to GPS feature in that you can look up a location on your phone's Google Maps and send it to the GPS, but you cannot look up a location on your laptop or desktop at home and send it to the GPS via the wireless service or via the web. I guess you could send it from you laptop via Bluetooth, but that's not very practical to do while in your car.
5. It has a cool feature that allow you to see real-time pictures from traffic cameras on your route, of course for an extra annual fee. I have not yet subscribed to this feature.

Cons:
1. Everything is an extra fee, but at least they give you a menu so you can just add the services you want. Unfortunately, there is not a bundle option with a discounted price if you subscribe to all the services.
2. A major con for me is that since the Smart Link uses Bluetooth, my Droid 2 only supports one Bluetooth connection at a time, which means I have to use the 3490LMT as my hands free phone connection. I would rather continue to use my car's Bluetooth hands free connection while the GPS uses the data connection, but it doesn't allow separate services. There is an option on the GPS to just use the data services and not the voice services, but that just means you have to put the phone to your ear or use a non-bluetooth hands free solution like wired ear phones.

All in all, it is a major step forward but for the hands free limitation.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks for the great review

DiQuest wrote:

I have a 3490LMT and installed the Smart Link on the first day it was available. I am connected to a Motorola Droid 2 using Verizon Wireless in the Washington Area.

In general, this app plugs many of the holes that are no longer available since MSN Direct went out of service (e.g. fuel prices, weather, some of send to GPS). Note that there are a menu of services available via Smart Link, each for an additional annual subscription.

Pros:
1. Where I live in the outer suburbs of Washington DC (Northern Virginia), the old MSN Direct signal coverage was non-existent until you got closer to the beltway. The HD Radio traffic service built in to the 3490 LMT has the same coverage problems. Smart Link fixes this problem as it uses my phone's data service via Bluetooth and has instant traffic coverage (for $19.99 a year).
2. The Fuel prices feature works great (for an additional annual subscription fee), except it adds an icon instead of replacing the existing fuel station icon, thus potentially causing confusion.
3. The weather feature is significantly enhanced in that not only does it provide weather forecasts and warnings, but also it displsy animated weather radar.
4. There is a quasi-send to GPS feature in that you can look up a location on your phone's Google Maps and send it to the GPS, but you cannot look up a location on your laptop or desktop at home and send it to the GPS via the wireless service or via the web. I guess you could send it from you laptop via Bluetooth, but that's not very practical to do while in your car.
5. It has a cool feature that allow you to see real-time pictures from traffic cameras on your route, of course for an extra annual fee. I have not yet subscribed to this feature.

Cons:
1. Everything is an extra fee, but at least they give you a menu so you can just add the services you want. Unfortunately, there is not a bundle option with a discounted price if you subscribe to all the services.
2. A major con for me is that since the Smart Link uses Bluetooth, my Droid 2 only supports one Bluetooth connection at a time, which means I have to use the 3490LMT as my hands free phone connection. I would rather continue to use my car's Bluetooth hands free connection while the GPS uses the data connection, but it doesn't allow separate services. There is an option on the GPS to just use the data services and not the voice services, but that just means you have to put the phone to your ear or use a non-bluetooth hands free solution like wired ear phones.

All in all, it is a major step forward but for the hands free limitation.

I hope this helps others.

The only thing is most of what you are paying $20 a year for (plus extra fees) are available for your smartphone free. There's a Gas Buddy app, INRIX traffic, a radar app and of course the web search. The apps also are not tied to HD radio systems and are limited by your cellular carrier's signal so the coverage area is much greater. The main feature for the Garmin at this point is the convenience of having it in one unit. (And yes, I miss the MSN service as well.)

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

OBD II

Sounds like this wouldn't be able to use the ODB II adapter and the Smart Link at the same time, since both use blue tooth.

Amazon

Just got a note from Amazon that these will be shipping this week. Estimated delivery to me on Monday March 19th.

Did you receive your unit?

donbadabon wrote:

Just got a note from Amazon that these will be shipping this week. Estimated delivery to me on Monday March 19th.

Did you receive your unit March 19? How do you like it?

Looks pretty cool.

Looks pretty cool. Interesting how they keep finding ways to make the product fresh and more costly!

I like it

The voice command is fantastic.

I love that you can now select specific roads in your route that you want to detour around.

And when you select a destination, you can choose alternate routes to get you there.

POIs show up at highway zoom levels, no more zooming in to 800 feet to see them.

The only thing that I really don't like is that 'Favorites' loaded using their Basecamp program (MapSource does not work with this series) all have a green heart icon. You can change them individually once they are loaded, but if you have any substantial amount of favorites, then you are stuck with this over-sized green heart.

3590

How is the detail level of the maps ?

Very detailed... or scaled back ?

Detail Level

I haven't noticed a degradation of the detail level. But it is adjustable, and I have it set to the highest level.

Detail Level

I haven't noticed a degradation of the detail level. But it is adjustable, and I have it set to the highest level.

Thanks for this...

but, it makes me realize just how "outmoded" my Nuvi's really are...but will still use them. A but jealous at this point though!

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

Sounds like a good model

donbadabon wrote:

The voice command is fantastic.

I love that you can now select specific roads in your route that you want to detour around.

And when you select a destination, you can choose alternate routes to get you there.

POIs show up at highway zoom levels, no more zooming in to 800 feet to see them.

The only thing that I really don't like is that 'Favorites' loaded using their Basecamp program (MapSource does not work with this series) all have a green heart icon. You can change them individually once they are loaded, but if you have any substantial amount of favorites, then you are stuck with this over-sized green heart.

Sounds like they did a good job with this unit.
Any unexpected reboots experienced with the unit?

With Basecamp can you create a custom route that can be transferred to the 3590LMT?

Good info

Good info... thanks for the heads up.

I love thses new devices but

I love thses new devices but I would love to see garmin come out with and android nav app that would include all these features so that i can use one device for all my nav needs. another plus would be that i could still use my phone as a phone without interupting my navigation. at least in a 4g area.

Smartphone Link Still Has Bugs

I have benn using the Smartphone Link on my 3490 for several months. It is pretty stable, however the My Cameras feature crashes and reboots the GPS every time I start the app and select a camera. After the reboot, I have to reboot my Droid2 because the GPS won't reconnect. Once I have rebooted my phone as well, all works fine until I go back to navigating and use the My Cameras app again. Then the cycle starts over again with the GPS rebooting.

This same problem occurs with the weather app as well. My Smartphone Link is up to date with the latest release, so I hope Garmin fixes the problem soon!

I wonder how long Garmin is still going to last

With all the smart phones having built-in gps, I wonder how Garmin can survive.

3590 Bugs

DiQuest wrote:

I have benn using the Smartphone Link on my 3490 for several months. It is pretty stable, however the My Cameras feature crashes and reboots the GPS every time I start the app and select a camera. After the reboot, I have to reboot my Droid2 because the GPS won't reconnect. Once I have rebooted my phone as well, all works fine until I go back to navigating and use the My Cameras app again. Then the cycle starts over again with the GPS rebooting.

This same problem occurs with the weather app as well. My Smartphone Link is up to date with the latest release, so I hope Garmin fixes the problem soon!

That's disappointing that it has bugs, but I guess I should not be surprised.

I haven't known of a new Garmin GPS unit that came out that didn't have bugs. Some worse than others.

But I still find this unit tempting.

Seems higher the number,

Seems higher the number, lower the rating. 350 still remains the champion.