Is it possible to create a tour guide file for no mp3 capable gps units by.....

 

by replacing the mp3 file with a wav file. Just wondering if this is possible to do

Don't know

Don't know but would like to. I have a 2450 and love it, but no mp3 for tour guides. Looking into it!

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Yes ... and it's easy.

Yes ... and it's easy. Just do a search here at POI FACTORY for key words SOX and TourGuide.

Lots of threads have addressed this topic.

Sox is a utility that you need to put in the POI Loader path which will help load WAV files onto your GPS.

By the by ... get in the habit of always typing "TourGuide" WITH THE PROPER UPPER AND LOWER CASE.

--
Garmin 205, 260W, 1450LMT, 2460LMT, HEREwego for iPhone ... all still mapping strong.

Tourguides

Tourguides are basically just a POI file containing a gpx/csv, bmp and wav file like the one you have created and discussed in http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34250

The difference is that all 3 file types need the word TourGuide as the first word of the filename.

I found this tread very useful:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/13958

It talks about MP3 but was written before Nuvi's only came with wav support.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Yes

spotty99999 wrote:

by replacing the mp3 file with a wav file. Just wondering if this is possible to do

Yes, it can be done. I have several TourGuide files using wav files on my 1490.

The drawback is, the wav files are much bigger than mp3 files, so I can only put them in the MicroSD card.

Interesting

cameotabby wrote:

The drawback is, the wav files are much bigger than mp3 files, so I can only put them in the MicroSD card.

I have a folder containing many identical wav and mp3 files. Most of the files show the mp3 is a little larger than the wav. But my squealing piggie shows the wav is about 10 times larger than the mp3 piggie. I can't tell the difference in sound quality when listening to them on my PC...
My 295w plays the mp3 and the 1490t requires wav.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Perhaps 3 times

spokybob wrote:
cameotabby wrote:

The drawback is, the wav files are much bigger than mp3 files, so I can only put them in the MicroSD card.

I have a folder containing many identical wav and mp3 files. Most of the files show the mp3 is a little larger than the wav. But my squealing piggie shows the wav is about 10 times larger than the mp3 piggie. I can't tell the difference in sound quality when listening to them on my PC...
My 295w plays the mp3 and the 1490t requires wav.

My review would indicate that my mp3 files (which my 765T can use) are about 25 to 30 KB on average. When I use Audacity to convert them to .wav, they are about 3 times as large.

My 2 cents

t923347 wrote:

The difference is that all 3 file types need the word TourGuide as the first word of the filename.

It's better to put TourGuide at the end of the file name before extension. This will allow user to see the the file name first before being obstructed with the word TourGuide.

Always

Always thought it needed to be at the beginning. Your reasoning for putting the word at the end makes sense, I'll try that. Thanks.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.